Jungkook: Spring Fever

OneSS

Sick with the spring flu, Ritsu Hwang gets a visit from her closest friend Jeon Jungkook.

 

 


 

 

                                                                                  
 

Birds are flying up high singing in chirps and note, the sun shining right across the horizon. Kids were playing across the street or large groups go out for the new season clothes on sale. Spring was here, meaning it was that time again. The seasonal flu. And unfortunately, I was always the one affected by it. I got it just the day before, and I was practically dying from being in the house all day. My head was hurting, I had the most brutal coughs that made my throat dry and itchy; and I had nothing to drink but ginger tea just to soothe it. While my parents were at work I stayed in bed and tried very hard to speak to Jeon Jungkook through my cell phone, though it's hard to communicate with the raspiness in my voice.

 


“I'm sorry we can't hang out today, I was being stupid in forgetting to bring my jacket when it was cold,” I admitted. I heard him laugh on the other line.

 


“No worries. Are your parents home right now?” I coughed and replied with a firm 'no'. “well, why don't I come over instead? I have nothing else to do, and you probably don't have anything either.” I began to protest that I was sick and he might catch it, but he kept insisting. After all that arguing, he won that round. Once we hung up I sighed and dropped into my bed, snuggling further into my blanket. I took a nap for what seemed like almost 5 minutes when I heard the door bell rang. I groaned in pain as my head throbbed with each step I took towards the door. He had only a thin royal blue v-neck covered and a dark denim when I opened the door, with a smile that radiated across his face when he saw me.

 


“How are you feeling?” he asked as he stepped inside. I answered with only a low nasal hum and he knew how crappy I felt with the fever. Letting him sit on the couch I offered him anything to drink, but instead he wanted to get a bottle of water himself. I even offered him anything to eat from last night's dinner that I made but he refused as well.

 


“Ritsu-ah, you don't need to do all this. In fact, I should be cooking for you. You're sick.” he smiled. I frowned and sat across from him, arms folded on my chest.

 


“But-I-you-” I wanted to say that he was the guest as per the moment, but at the same time I tried to maintain my coughs. They were coming out like a freight train that wouldn't stop. He smirked and stood up, clearly proving his point. Suddenly, a rush of cold air comes in and I shivered by the impact on my exposed skin. In almost a calm action he took the blanket from the edge of the cushion and draped it over my body, leaving just my head peaking out. He placed his hand on my shoulder in a way that he was trying to push my body back so I could comfortably rest.

 


“Alright, just let me tuck in this...” his fingers tucked the ends of the fleece material enough that it wasn't so much intoxicated to breathe. He smiled with satisfaction. “that way, you won't stop me from cooking.” he stuck out his tongue in mockery, which I rolled my eyes and I couldn't help but hide a small smile. So for the next few hours he did just what he said – making a small meal for the both of us. Rather, I felt like it was just for me. My eyes peered over the head of the counter top to see that he had already cut the vegetables and simmered them in a pot, while he drained another of noodles over the metal sink. The smell of herbs and spices lulled me to sleep, no matter how much I tried to resist. Soon the sounds of tinkers and the overhead A/C faded in my ears.

 


Jungkook's strong hand shook me awake, which instead of yawning my mouth let out a brutal cough and left my throat too sore to speak. My lidded eyes fluttered open to a dark-hair boy holding out a tray of food; bowl of ramen and a glass of ginger tea. “I thought you were dead.” he chuckled. At least I had enough energy to send a small punch to his arm. Nonetheless I sat up more upright in my position as he placed the tray on my lap. I held the chopsticks on my right while the spoon on my left as I ladled the noodles in it before spooning them in my mouth. My eyes widened with the shock of spice hit my nose; leaving a tang of spicy on the surface of my tongue. I looked at him.

 


Wow,” I breathed. “this tastes... amazing!” he smiled cheekily and rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly.


“I used the same recipe my grandma would make for me whenever I was sick: 3 spice tofu and mixed vegetable ramen.” I nodded, already my stomach urging to be fed more of the deliecious luxury of the meal. Already devoured it in ten minutes. I gulped down the last quarter of my tea thirstily before placing back down on the tray. Jungkook picked it up and rinsed it under the sink, and once he finished cleaning he sat beside me while he searched through the channels of what to watch. I managed to convince him in watching one of my favourite K-dramas that aired, which he had no choice under the authority that he was still living under my roof. I found it amusing that whenever he sees the actors on the screen say a cheesy line his nose scrunches up that made his eyes look closed; his cringing clearly evident from that. I laughed for the third time that happened.

 

“What's the matter, Jungkook-ah?” I elbowed him softly on the ribs with a teasing smirk. He groaned.

 


“Why do you like these drama's so much... ugh,” he slumped back into the cushion with a frown. I laughed by how he looked like a 5 year old for the moment. I would admit; I too hate drama's for their cheesy worth, but it just helped me feel better whenever I am sick. After a whole hour of the episode, Jungkook finally seemed to relax. I'm surprised his face isn't covered with so much crease lines. During the commercial Jungkook leaned close to me; catching me by surprise.

 

“Don't move – I'm just going to check on your fever.” his hand felt cool against my forehead, which was either burning by the fever or how flustered I was for my heart to beat loud in my ears. His gaze was content, almost serene.

 

“How is it?” I asked. Shrugging, he dropped his hand to his side in a slow movement. He gave a small smile that I wasn't able to quite read.

 

“Not so-so hot anymore. But... I think I'll be able to cure your sickness.” when I asked how he suddenly leaned in again and placed a quick peck on my cheek. I yelped, jumped a good metre from his reach. By the way my cheeks warmed up, I know for sure it wasn't the fever that was talking.

 

Yahh! Jungkook-ah!” I exclaimed. “that didn't help out at all!”

 

He laughed. “Don't jinx it; it will. Trust me on that.” I heard the click of my A/C, and before I knew it Jungkook has begun to rub his hands on the sides of his arms with stuttering words out his trembling mouth. Automatically to prevent him becoming more cold I wrapped the blanket around his broad shoulders, while still around mine. With a tug on his right arm he shuffled closer so both our bodies are fully wrapped around the blanket. He muttered a thanks, which I smiled.


“Do you care if you get sick after this?” I snuggled against his chest. His hand caressed my hair in smooth circles with feeling his breath hit my ear.


“Not really – that means you have to cook me a meal instead.” we both softly chuckled at the humour. We stayed like this as we both tried to sleep for the lazy evening.

 


It was his small kisses he placed on my forehead and hair that comforted me.


It was his small words of humour that made me laugh.


It was having a best friend like Jeon Jungkook; always so caring and thoughtful.

Deep inside me, I felt better already knowing that.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Author's Note
Inspired by the actual time I got sick not so long ago ><;
I'll see you guys on the next update!
Have a great day everyone~

-B.B