Saying Goodbye

Still You

 

“So are you going to tell him?”

 

Soeun was on her phone as she fixed her things on the table that afternoon. Seunghyun called her up and she answered using an earpiece. She told him about what happened not because she wanted to, but only because Seunghyun kept on insisting that he wanted to know what happened – saying things like he was even the main cause why the two of them got to be together at that same day.

 

Eventually, she ended up telling him how they went to their old school together, how he reminded her of all the special things they did during highschool. Seunhyun said that knowing the past wasn't really that important because the present made all of them broken and problematic, but he was taken a back, surprised, and disappointed when she told him that she couldn't anymore conceal her feelings as she gradually gave in to him and accepted his feelings again.

 

But he was still eager, saying things like he was sure Yeojin would fight for her right as Jonghyun's wife, and won't easily give in into divorce.

 

“I don't know...” Soeun replied. “I don't think he will accept it positively, I mean... I've lied to him gazillion times already...”

 

“And he will probably be confused as to what is real and what is not.” The doctor softly chuckled for a while before returning serious again. “Then the best thing is to act like you finally regain your memories.”

 

“That's what I'm planning to do, but I am not a good actress, how can I act like I'm slowly coming back into reality?”

 

“Act like you hit your head somewhere, pretend to collapse, then few minutes later, wake up and tell Jonghyun that you finally remember him. That is so much like a movie, Soeun, I swear you'll win the best actress award.”

 

“Ehh.. Stop teasing me.” She said irritatingly, “Oh wait, I have an incoming call. I'll call you back later.” She said and ended the call without even hearing the doctor's response. When she looked into the screen, she saw Yeojin's name registered as the caller. For some reasons, she felt nervous, maybe because she knew she was doing something wrong behind her when all she was very nice to her all the time.

 

“O-oh... Yeojin ssi.” She said as soon as she picked up the call.

 

“Soeun-ah.. are you busy? Can you meet me at a coffee shop near your company?” She said but before Soeun could reply, she talked again.. “I mean... you can't say no coz I'm on my way there already.”

 

“Oh... sure. Sure. I'll go down immediately.”

 

“Okay. See you.” Yeojin said and ended the call immediately.

 

Soeun was so confused as to why she suddenly wanted to meet her right now. She thought she was in Jeju, if she just returned then won't it be better to get rest first before doing something else?

 

However, she still went to see her on the nearest coffee shop. That was the only coffee shop she knew Yeojin would come to see her.

 

*** ***

 

“Hi.” Yeojin uttered with a faint smile when Soeun came and approached her on the table. “Please sit. I wanted to see you so I'm sorry if I caused any disturbance from your work.” She immediately apologized as how she normally did when she knew she bothered someone's work.

 

“It's okay. I'm not really doing anything at the moment.” She said simply – estimating if Yeojin finally knew something about what was happening between her and Jonghyun.


“Good. Oh, you want something?”

 

“Anything.” Soeun replied.

 

“2 coffees on this table please!” She raised her hand and called the attention of the server first, then she turned back to Soeun and smiled again. “I'm here to personally say goodbye.” She said without warning, which gave Soeun a shock.

 

“Goodbye?” Soeun frowned and shook her head. “I can't understand. Why are you saying goodbye? Are you going somewhere?”

 

Yeojin sighed and looked at her with that gloomy expression. “Have you noticed? There was never a time that we were honest towards each other.”

 

She didn't say it in a mean way, but it got Soeun speechless and guilty. Yes, she had the point. She couldn't recall any moment when she wasn't hiding anything from her while they were talking.

 

“It's not too late to do so, so I'll start by being honest about what I feel.” Yeojin was nervous as well. “I was so jealous of you, because you have Yoogeun, and at that certain day, I saw how you were accepted as part of Jonghyun's family. Yes. They accepted me, too, but it wasn't as warm as how his parents were to you. I know you were close, and they know you more than they know me but I just... it doesn't seem so right seeing them so close with Jonghyun's ex girlfriend. At that same moment, I became jealous of you, and all the time I wished Jonghyun would pay more attention to me, coz when you and Yoogeun came, his attentions were diverted.. and in the end, nothing remained for me, even his love.”

 

She paused when tears fell from her eyes. She wiped it immediately like nothing and chuckled, “Aigoo~ I thought I won't cry again... but this is so hard.” She said as she tried looking at some other parts of the coffee shop – temporarily diverting her attention and easing away the pain.

 

“Yeojin-ah...” Was only what Soeun could utter. Of course, she would never like to see her in that case.

 

“I'm fine. I'm really fine I just... I know you understand me coz you've been through the same hurt, probably even worse than I feel right now,but seriously Soeun. This is seriously difficult and painful.” She said with a shaking voice. Pinching her nose constantly to stop herself from crying, making it a little redding after some minutes.

 

 

Soeun was debating. Will she act like she didn't know what she was saying? Or will she console her and be honest to herself? But if she suddenly talk as if she knew everything, then Yeojin might panic and get mad when she figured out that she lied on that part of having an amnesia again. She didn't know what to do, that she ended up not speaking at all.

 

“Let's be honest, Soeun.” Yeojin told her amidst the tears that were about to fall again. “I know you didn't have any memory loss. Not at all.” She revealed which caught her off guard. “I know.”

 

“B-but...”

 

“Did you do this so Jonghyun would stay with me? Or did you do this because you don't want to get hurt anymore?”

 

Soeun looked down and wasn't able to meet her gaze anymore. “Both.” She spoke softly finally admitting everything because she knew it was over.

 

“What you did... made me realize that Jonghyun won't return to me anymore. I don't know if it's a good thing, but I think that knowing this is better than being blind by his true feelings.”

 

“Yeojin... I.. I didn't mean to hurt you. I didn't mean to hurt anyone.” She looked at her sincerely with apologetic eyes. “I tried stopping myself. I tried my best. I really did...”

 

“But we can't force something to happen just because we thought it was the right thing to do.” Yeojin answered back and smiled bitterly. “The same goes for Jonghyun. I knew he tried his best to stay by my side, even from the start, but he failed... Your love for each other was too strong to even break, not even by someone he married first.”

 

“Yeojin-ah....”

 

She shook her head and showed her that she was fine. “You understand that I'm hurt, right? But I will be able to get through this. I know. I'm positive about it. I am letting go first. I want you to be happy... maybe it isn't my turn yet... maybe after all that you've been through, Jonghyun will always be the one that can make you happy. I know.. I have accepted it the whole time that I was in Jeju. I'll reflect upon myself as I leave, and I hope... that you'll take care of him. I know you will.” She reached for Soeun's hand and held it tightly.

 

“I'm sorry, but please don't go.”

 

“This will be for everybody. I am doing this first for myself because I need to move on, and maybe it will help the both of you because you can start another life together. Please don't think about me and be happy. Be happy, Soeun-ah. Be happy.”

 

Both of them cried... they felt the comfort towards each other.. Both of them were hurt, but at the same time relieved that finally, they were able to face the reality and winning over their fear.


A/N: But I promised Yeojin that I'll make her happy for the next part... I promised her so maybe... for team JongXYeojin, it's time to accept what happened ~ Aigoo.. why am I sad as well. LOL