Mother and Daughter

Still You

 

An elder woman heard the doorbell rang. She was in the kitchen busy baking something for her and her husband. She loved baking and had always wanted to do something in the kitchen. “Jihye-ah, can you please open the door and see who it is?” She asked their maid in such a gentle and sweet manner that she always had ever since. She was such a soft spoken person, and was never the type to talk sharply and yell at someone. “I am not expecting someone today, though.” She shrugged her shoulders as she brought the dough into the oven and set the timer for it to be baked. She removed her pot holder and placed it at the counter.

 

Omma!” Suddenly, a very familiar voice surprised her. She turned around to see though she was very sure that only one person would call her that way.

 

Yeojin-ah!” She said and quickly hugged his daughter who she haven't seen for a month already. “Aigoo, my girl... why did you just come today? Where have you been, you bad girl!” She said and acted like she was going to hit her but Yeojin only chuckled and hugged her mother even tighter.

 

I went to Jeju for a photoshoot. I was gone for three days. I'm sorry I didn't tell you anything before going. It happened in a split decision and I was really busy as soon as I arrived in Jeju.” She explained well.

 

I didn't know you're already accepting offers like this after your marriage? It was good that Jonghyunnie let you do this and be away for some days.”

 

As soon as her mother said those things, her smile immediately went away, but she still tried to hide it and forced herself to smile again though she knew that her mother already noticed that reaction. And judging from how her umma reacted, for sure she won't let her go without telling her what was happening.

 

Hmm... is something wrong, sweetie?” She asked immediately after seeing that forced smile on Yeojin's face. “Come on, you know you can't lie to me. I know you too well to even believe at your fake smiles.”

 

Nothing mom..”

 

What nothing? Come on, Ahn Yeojin...”

 

Just...” She then started sniffing as she smelled that familiar scent her mother's personal baked breads have. “Did you bake my favorite? Can I have some?”

 

Okay. Fine. But you need to tell everything to me later after eating, okay?”

 

*** *** ***

 

She was silently eating her bread while her mother was watching her – carefully examining every inch of her expression just to study what was in her mind. Yeojin knew that her mother was slowly digging in to her feelings just by how she looked at her.

 

“Is he aware that your back in Seoul?” Her mother asked as she had her elbows on the table with her hands on supporting her chin.

 

She didn't look at her before answering, “I think so. I told her I will only be gone for three days.” She said as she ate her bread and acted like she wasn't really that affected about the topic.

 

“Did you call him already?” Yeojin shook her head. “Why?”

 

Yeojin sighed. She really didn't know how to explain everything to her mother. “Omma...” She finally looked at her and they exchanged gazes, but she hesitated, thinking if she would clearly understand, and she also knew very well that her mom would be hurt upon hearing about it. “Ani..”

 

“Come on, sweetie.” Her omma reached her hand to touch her and held her tightly. “You know you can always rely on me.”

 

There was a long silent after that, with Yeojin gathering all the courage to tell her, and all the strength to withstand the idea of relaying and recalling everything. After a couple of deep breaths, she started opening up, with constant pauses whenever she felt like choking up.

 

And in the end, she couldn't force herself not to cry. There in front of her loving mother, she let go of another set of pain that was residing in her heart. Her tears kept on falling and her mom quickly get to her side and hugged her tightly. “Omma... I want to stay with him. I want to stay with Jonghyun... but... but...” She couldn't continue her sentence for she cried hard again. “Omma... Omma... I want Jonghyun...” She kept on saying with constant loud sob.

 

“It's okay... it's okay, baby.. just keep on crying.” He said while rubbing her back gently.

 

It was almost the same scene as when Yeojin cried on Minho's mother's arms. Her mother's arms were also the place she would always seek for comfort, and she knew her mother would never disappoint her when it comes to making her feel better. She was there, like a child crying because of a lost of her loving doll.

 

For once, she wanted to go back to being child, when the only reason for her to cry was just because of a broken toy.

 

“Are you sure about that?” Her mother asked when she told her all her plans for the future. “Why don't you think more about it? Maybe there is better solution than that.”

 

She shook her head. “This is by far the best solution that I can think of, and I know everybody else will benefit from this.”

 

“But...”

 

“Omma...” She held her mother's hands firmly and looked at her with her swollen eyes. “I know you're not happy for me. I know you're not happy with everything that is happening between me and Jonghyun, but... I am asking you to trust me this time, and to have fate that I could get over this.”

 

Her mother reached for her face and touched them dearly. “You don't deserve this, my dear... but if this is what can make you feel better and you know that you're doing this for the right thing then... I'll support you, and I'll trust you so much.” Her voice was shaky, but she promised herself not to cry coz she knew her daughter was just gaining strength from her. “Do you want omma to go with you?”

 

She shook her head, “I can go alone, omma... you should just stay here and live your life normally. Go out with your friends and do some shopping from time to time.”

 

“Aigoo, my dear... but I will really miss you~” She then wrapped her daugher in her arms and gave her a tight hug. “Be strong okay? Trials are there to be solved and get over with. I know you can do this.”

 

“Thank you, omma... you are such a mood lifter.”

 

“But when will you come back?”

 

“Once the divorce has been finalized and when I feel like I'm so much better than right now.” She told her in which her mother nodded.

 

“I think it would be better if she knew about this... I mean, something that you figured out. Whatever happens, it's important to stay honest until then end. I want you to be open. Whether or not it's something that can hurt you, what's important is that you're true to yourself. I know Soeun ssi was very selfless but her dishonesty led to this situation. Not that I blame her... but still, I want you to be honest about how you feel. If crying in front of Jonghyun will make you feel better then go for it. If you feel like punching him, cursing at him, hitting him, then that's completely fine. You have the right to do it especially when you're badly hurt, and I know Jonghyun will feel much better if you do such things. I know he wants you to be honest about how you feel as well.”

 

She nodded, carefully listening to every word her mother was saying. “I know it won't be that easy... it will never be easy coz I know very well how much you love that man.”

 

“He's Jonghyun, omma..” She smiled after hearing the hint of irritation on his mother's way of calling Jonghyun.

 

“Whatever. That person. I know very well how much you love him but then again, you deserve someone better. Someone that will love you way more than how that thing did.”

 

“Omma...”

 

“Whatever. I know you can find someone... maybe someone even more appealing and handsome.” Both of them chuckled, temporarily concealing the pain Yeojin was feeling at the moment.