Pains of the Past

Still You

 

 Lee Jinki kept on glancing at Jonghyun who was annoyingly patting his pen against the wooden table. They were inside the closed recording studio waiting for someone who arranged a meeting with the two of them. “Kim Jonghyun.” Jinki called so Jonghyun looked at him.

 

“Huh?”

 

“Can you stop doing that?” He said while pointing at the latter's pencil. “It's noisy.”

 

“Oh. I'm sorry.” Placing the pen on top of the music sheets, Jonghyun made a sigh. That made Jinki even more curious about something that's going into his mind. He wasn't the type to shut up when they're together. He was the one who would always say something whenever he has the chance to, but now, it was a bit different.

 

“You were thinking?”

 

“Ha?” He looked at Jinki again with both surprised and confused expression. “Ah, I was just thinking of something.” He answered.


“What something?” Jinki waited for him to reply, but it took a bit long before the other could say anything. “Come on, as if you can hide something from me, buddy.”

 

“I saw Choi Minho.” He revealed.

 

“And? Isn't that a great thing? You looked so... not happy to see him.” He chuckled and thought that Jonghyun's reaction in meeting an old friend was a bit odd. “What did you talk about? Did he ask for me, Kibum, and Taemin?”

 

“We didn't talk that long. They were in a rush.” Jonghyun moved his chair to face Jinki. The older did the same so now they were facing each other. “What made me think is that...” He paused for a while and Jinki flashed his annoyed and impatient expression. “He was with Jung So Eun.”

 

Jinki's eyes, though small and almost unseen, dilated the moment he mentioned her name, along with his jaw dropping in surprise. “He was with her? You meant together?”

 

He nodded but he looked so lost, as if trying to figure out why the two were together, then he looked at Jinki again, with the same intriguing expression, “And they were with a kid, who calls them omma and appa.”

 

Jinki blinked several times before giving any response. “ A kid? Omma and Appa? They're married?” He asked unbelievably to which Jonghyun nodded again. “How did it happen... I mean, for real? Wow. That seems...”

 

“A bit off because their kid is like 4 or 5 years old already.”

 

“Eh?” Jinki paused for a bit and thought for a while. “You mean... they had not long ago after you left to go abroad?”

 

Jonghyun threw an awkward look when Jinki mentioned the word . It came out naturally and it didn't suit his sweet and innocent image as an artist.

 

“Ahuh... that's probably one of the reasons why Choi Minho didn't contact us anymore or he didn't even make and effort to do so. He was with So Eun...” Jinki said as a conclusion. “How do you feel about it?”

 

“Well...” Jonghyun shrugged his head and let out a sigh. “I have nothing against them being together. I mean... it's perfectly fine but... that was a little odd. You know... they never showed any closeness during, uhm, before. Knowing they became together few months after I left.. it's really weird.”

 

Jinki smiled knowingly and nudged at his friend's arm. “Ayyy ~ We never know. Probably they did something behind your back...” He said with that creepy tone on his voice – sounding like a ert.

 

Jonghyun shook his head and shrugged, “I can only be happy for them. At least, they cheated and received good results in the end. Their son is so cute. Minho must be so happy to have him.”

 

“You can have your own anytime soon.” Jinki winked at him. “You're married for 3 months. When are you going to make a child?”

 

“Not in the plans for now.” Jonghyun made a disappointing sound. “Yeojin's planning to go back into modelling in few weeks. Some agency called her last week and they are interested to cast her. She can't be pregnant so soon.”

 

“Poor Jonghyunnie.” Jinki chuckled.

 

He only smiled, and again, another image of So Eun, Minho and Yoogeun being together appeared on his mind. It was just last night when they met them accidentally, and the incident was still fresh in his mind that he could still see it clearly.

 

He felt like it was enlightened after some years of thinking why it happened. Why the two of them broke up together. He looked at Jinki. The other looked back – waiting for him to say something. Jinki might just be the happy-go-lucky kind of friend but Jonghyun knew he could always be the one to depend on.

 

“Maybe that was the reason why Soeun suddenly broke up with me. Not that she didn't want to let me go.” He said after a while – suddenly feeling weird about talking about her ex girlfriend.

 

He stopped thinking and talking about her when he met Yeojin. He thought she changed his life – and created better memories with her. Looking back, Jonghyun thought it was clearer now.

 

He was in his room that night creating some music for his composition when he received a call overseas. His application to study in New England Conservatory of Music, which is located in Massachusetts, was approved and he can fly there few days after.

 

He was too happy as he immediately went downstairs to tell his umma and noona about it. They, too, were happy for him and congratulated Jonghyun for getting into the Conservatory of Music. He didn't forget to tell the news to his girlfriend immediately.

 

So Eun-ah....” He said as soon as she picked up the phone. “I have something to tell you.”

 

Me, too...” So Eun uttered, “But.. what do you want to say?”

 

I made it! I'm going to Boston to study Composition! My application was approved!!” He said excitedly and even jumped in so much happiness. “Aren't you proud of me? Your boyfriend will study now abroad!”

 

Oh.. yeah.” She replied coldly and there was a short paused. “You are so cool, oppa. I knew you can make it.”

 

Yes. Let's meet each other soon when you're not busy in school, okay? Let's talk about this wonderful stuff. I want to see and hug you now because I'm so happy. By the way... what are you going to tell me?”

 

Oh.. it's nothing. I forgot.” So Eun uttered. “It doesn't matter anyway... I just thought maybe I'll say it.. but... I'm just happy for you right now.”

 

Being too engrossed as his great achievement, Jonghyun already forgot about the thing that she wanted to say. When she said it didn't matter, Jonghyun didn't bother knowing about it anymore – thinking it was really nothing.

 

Few days have passed and he's almost departing but Soeun never called or texted. As he was about to go the next day, he went to the porridge shop where she worked during the night. He went there for her, but as soon as Soeun saw him, she tried her best to avoid him.

 

Is there something wrong, Soeun-ah? Why are you avoiding me?” She didn't say anything. Jonghyun was furious. “Is this about me leaving? I thought you were happy for me? Why are you being like this. Come on, if there's something wrong, just tell it to me so we can fix it while I'm still here!”

 

We can't fix this in a matter of 2-3 hours!” Soeun yelled and aggressively pulled her arm from his grip. “Chase after your dreams freely. I'll forget about you and you can forget about me.”

 

No. Wait, So Eun, this is not what we planned.” He tried stopping her. “We talked about this. You are going to wait for me and we'll get married after I graduate and get a job. That's right. Breaking up is never an option, So Eun-ah. Come on.”

 

Not anymore, Kim Jonghyun. I can't wait that long. I'm sorry, but I don't think long distance relationship will work. You do your own thing. I'll do mine.” That was the last thing she said before she completely disappeared into his life.

 

Jonghyun would admit that it was hard forgetting about So Eun. It took him some time before he could even moved on with the fact that she's not coming back anymore.

 

Thank God, he thought himself, that he found his happiness with Yeojin. Now, accepting the fact that Soeun and his good friend Minho might have cheated on him before won't be so hard as how it might probably seem to be.


Chapter 7 - I should have known

(Spoiler: Jonghyun and Soeun meeting on the next chapter! but first! give me comments on this. So Eun or Yeo Jin. Place your bets now.)