Yoogeun's Birthday

Still You

 

A/N: Just before you thought everything is starting to fall into right places. /Here comes trouble/



 

“How's school?” As soon as Yoogeun reached his mom, Soeun knelt down to look at her son. However, Yoogeun pouted.

 

“Omma, where is Jonghyun appa? He should be here, it's my birthday.”

 

“Aigoo~ Appa said he has something important to do, Yoogeunie... but! He'll make it up to you once his work is over! Happy Birthday my dear!” Soeun kissed her son's lips and Yoogeun hugged her. “I can't believe my baby is a big boy now.”

 

“Ani, omma... I'm still your baby.” The little boy said claiming that he was still young. Normally, little boys this age would want to be called big boy, but not her son. He wanted to stay at Soeun's baby forever. “Seaweed soup.” He requested. It was something Yoogeun always looked forward to during his birthday.

 

“I got it, omma will cook it for you at home. Let's go?” She stood up and held Yoogeun's hand as they walked back to her car.

 

“But I wish Jonghyun appa will be here, and also Uncle Minho, and Uncle Jinki, and Uncle Kibum, and Uncle Taemin and Auntie Yeojin.”

 

“Who knows Yoogeun's birthday wish will come true?” Soeun smiled.

 

The people Yoogeun mentioned were, in fact, all gathering in Soeun's house for a birthday surprise. “Soeun said they are on their way home.” Minho announced to everybody after receiving a text message from her few seconds ago.

 

Yeojin and Kibum was at the table setting up the food while Jinki and Taemin kept on decorating the whole house. Jonghyun came back after picking some kids from the neighborhood which happened to be Yoogeun's friends.

 

“Is everything ready?” Minho fixed their gifts on one table while waiting for Soeun and Yoogeun to arrive. Few minutes later, an old couple arrived with another girl and they happened to be Jonghyun's parents and noona.

 

“Omonim! Appuji!” Minho ran to them immediately to give respect. The others did it as well.

 

“I am so excited to meet my grandchild.” The old woman said happily.

 

“Where is he?” Jonghyun's noona asked and Minho told them they were still on their way back from daycare. He asked them to take a seat for a while as they waited for the two to arrive.

 

Few minutes ago, Minho receive another message. “Guys, they arrived!” He shouted and the whole people inside the house went in panic as to how they will hide and give the child a surprise. The door was closed so Minho turned off the lights.

 

Yoogeun was busy talking to his omma while they were walking back to the house. “My classmates greeted my happy birthday and they sang to me while I was in front!” He said excitedly to his omma.

 

“Oh, really? Then Yoogeun was a star just a while ago!” Soeun opened the door with her keys. As she the lights, “HAAAPPYYY BIRTTHHDAAYY YOOGEUUUN!!” Everybody shouted and even popped some party poppers from him. “Saengil chukha hamnida~ Saengil chukha hamnida~” They started singing and Yoogeun jumped in so much joy.

 

“Thank you very muchh!!” Yoogeun shouted after they sang a birthday song to him, then he turned to her omma and reached for her with his arms, asking for Soeun to carry him. She did and as Yoogeun's head rested on her shoulder, the boy started to cry silently.

 

Soeun was surprised for a bit and then she smiled after. The rest looked at her and she mouthed, “He's crying~”

 

“Aigoo, Yoogeun-ah~” Jonghyun walked to the two and rubbed his son's back. Yoogeun then switched from his mother to his father. Jonghyun carried his son and Yoogeun cried on his shoulders again. “Why are you crying?”

 

“I-I'm very h-happy..” He said while his face while still burried on his shoulder. Jonghyun smiled and kissed his cheek. “Appa.. thank you.”

 

“This is because we love you so much, my dear.” Soeun tried to peep into her son's face. She didn't realize she was getting so close to Jonghyun.

 

He, on the other side, looked at her expression by accident and caught her smiling. Her side view facing her, Jonghyun didn't know why it looked so enticing. He was certain he saw that same expression before as well.

 

What is this?” Soeun frowned when Jonghyun gave her a piece of paper.

 

Open it. And read.” Instead of saying anything else, he just ask for her to open and read what was written inside. Soeun did, and not long after, she was already reading what was written on the paper.

 

Jonghyun silently watched Soeun's reaction from her side view, “This is so sweet.” She smiled while reading the poem Jonghyun wrote. “Is this going to be a song? Wow. I'm looking forward to the music.” And again, another smile appeared on her face.

 

Jonghyun couldn't help it so he sneakile stole a kiss on her cheek. She was surprised by the sudden reaction and yelled, “Yah!!”

 

I fall in love even more when I see you smiling from this side.” He said and laughed when Soeun blushed as she frowned. “Seriously. Can I have one more?” Before Soeun could protest, Jonghyun had stolen another kiss, this time on her lips because she was facing him.

 

“Yoogeun-ah.” Jonghyun immediately looked away from that sight and turned at his son instead, “Look at your guests. They are waiting for you.”

 

Yoogeun then started wiping his tears and started thanking everyone of them. Jonghyun's parents and noona came to Yoogeun. “Yoogeun-ah, they are your grandparents. Say hi to halmeoni and harabujji.” Jonghyun said and his father immediately took Yoogeun on his arms.

 

“You are such a beautiful child, my dear.” He said and kissed him on the cheek.

 

“It's nice meeting you, halmeoni... harabujji...” He said wittily towards them. “How are you?”

 

“Aiggoo, Yoogeunie.. I'm your auntie.” Jonghyun's noona then approached Yoogeun and said hi. The boy smiled and also kissed his auntie's cheek. “You are so sweet!” The noona then turned to Soeun and frowned jokingly. “Yah. I hate you. Why did you ran away with my nephew?” But then, she broke into a smile and hugged Soeun dearly. “But I missed you. It's nice that your back.”

 

Since Soeun and Jonghyun were classmates ever since middle school, and they were together for about two years, she also became close with Jonghyun's family, treating her as a part of them since Soeun was just living with herself. She was close with Jonghyun's noona for they have the same interest when it comes to movie and idol groups. She remembered going on an idol's concert with his noona years ago.

 

“Soeun-ah...” Jonghyun's mother also went to hug Soeun. “We missed you. We were worried when you left Jonghyun, and thought that something might have gone wrong. You should've went to us. I heard you had to take care of Yoogeun alone. Tsk, you little kid, didn't I tell you I am willing to take care of you?”

 

His parents had always treated her this way, and it never fails to move her into tears. “Aigoo~ You always cry.” The omonim wiped Soeun's tears instead and hugged her again.

 

Jonghyun's father was carrying Yoogeun with Jonghyun rubbing his son's back. His mother was hugging Soeun as his noona wrapped an arm around Soeun's waist.

 

It was such a sight of a good family gathering together – except that, Soeun isn't the wife.

 

“Are you okay?” Yeojin was quite surprise to hear it coming from Minho who was never that close to her yet.

 

“Soeun seems so close with his family.” She said while still looking at them.

 

“Yes. She lived alone when her mother died and her father married other woman. At first, it was just a pity that they felt the need of taking care of her, but when Jonghyun hyung and Soeun became together, his family started loving her genuinely, that there were times when they look after Soeun more than their own son. Even his noona is close to her.”

 

“I see. It's obvious.” Yeojin tried to smile. “Aren't you jealous? To see your wife with a different family?”

 

“Huh? We're not yet married.” Minho corrected and sighed, “But... if she's happy with that family then I have no right to take it away from her. They were the ones who took care of her before, it's just natural that they still feel the same way though Jonghyun and Soeun are not together anymore.”

 

“So... you aren't married.” Yeojin nodded.



 

Chapter 26 - It's hard not to be the only one