HiDE 'n SEEK

Still You

A/N: The chapter title should've been "The Turning Point". Hahahaha. Well, yes. I think that this, indeed, is a turning point. 


“You found her?” Jinki talked to Jonghyun over the phone that afternoon as soon as he got the information from the halmeoni. “You fixed things already?” He asked.

 

“Not yet. I just know where they are right now. I still need to go there.” Jonghyun said while walking towards the bench to occupy a seat while waiting. “I just bought ticket to Busan.”

 

“Busan?! They are in Busan?! How did they even get there? That's far enough!” He said on the other line in surprised and disbelief.

 

“Do you remember Park Ah Jung? The halmeoni who owns the shop Soeun used to work before when we were still in highschool. I came across her shop this morning and I found out that Soeun went to seek for her help. They are now in Busan, a house that is owned by the halmeoni.”

 

“Oh. But are you sure you are going there right now? Can't you wait another day? I can accompany you there if you want.” Jinki suggested his help to his friend but Jonghyun said no.


“I'm afraid the halmeoni will suddenly change her mind. While I just got the information and it's still new, I want to go there so she won't have the chance to run away from me.”

 

“How about Yeojin?” Jinki didn't forget to remind him but Jonghyun just sighed.

 

“I don't know why her phone was off. She's probably with some important people having meeting, but I did send her a message telling her about my leave. I will come back immediately as soon as I'm done talking to her.”

 

“What if Soeun still doesn't want to go back?”

 

“I need to convince her. Whatever happens, I need to take the both of them back to Seoul.” Jonghyun said and looked at his watch. “Call you later as soon as I get there or maybe when I'm done talking to her.” He said and immediately ended the call.

 

The message he sent to Yeojin a while ago:

 

Jagi~ I can't call you a while ago. Your phone was out of reach. I am goint to Busan because I figured out Soeun and Yoogeun are there. But I'll go back immediately. Love you.

 

*** *** ***

 

Soeun heard continuous footsteps against the wooden floor. She smiled at herself when she thought of Yoogeun running around again on that traditional house her favorite halmeoni has lent them as they needed to stay away from the City.

 

“Omma! Omma!” Yoogeun came running from the living area to the kitchen. “Omma! Look!” He showed his omma the traditional Korean clothes/Hanbok that he was wearing. “Omma! I've never worn something like this!”

 

Soeun looked at him and smiled widely. “Aigoo! You are wearing hanbok! Where did you find that!”

 

“Ahjumma tried this to me and it fits!” He said pertaining to the ahjumma who takes care of the house while Ah Jung halmeoni isn't around.

 

“You are such a cutie my dear! Come on, let's take a photo of you!” She immediately took her phone and captured some photos of her lovely child. She got excited upon seeing the cute little boy wearing a hanbok. “I know Yoogeunnie will look good in hanbok!” She said while still taking pictures. Yoogeun was smiling happily at her camera and he was even posing.

 

“Yoogeun oppa!” A little girl wearing another hanbok came in running. “Oppa! Change your clothes and let's play!” She said and held into Yoogeun's hand.

 

Soeun saw it and smiled secretly, seeing how cute the two kids were. Yoogeun looked at her and asked, “Omma!? Can I play with Sooki outside? We won't go near the sea, I promise!” Yoogeun held firmly into the younger girl's hand.


“Yoogeunnie...” She teased and pointed at his hand that was holding tight into Sooki.

 

“Appa said to never leave a girl side and always protect her.” Soeun nodded and smiled afterwards. “I promise to take care of myself and Sooki. Can we go play now?”

 

She rubbed his head and chuckled, “Sure my dear, as long as you come back before the sun sets. And as promise, hold firmly to Sooki.” She found the little girl cute so she pinched her cheek lightly. “And you little girl... once you see the sun going down the sea, ask oppa to go home, okay?”

 

“Deh, omonim!” The two immediately ran while holding hands.

 

She shook her head as she stood up to go back to her cooking. “Aiggoo~ Omonim.” She whispered to herself thinking she just got another child in the presence of Sooki. She was the ahjumma's grand daughter. According to what the ahjumma said, Sooki's mother left them to work somewhere but it has been 3 years and she still hasn't returned or even showed her shadow yet. Sooki was just one year old when her mother left. Now she's four.

 

She didn't know if it was because of the atmosphere of the house, but Soeun felt so much comfort in that house. She was able to breathe and to stop worrying, though there were really some time when she still stopped to think about certain things.

 

Again, she shook her head. “You are giving yourself few months to move on, Soeun. Don't waste it by thinking of the same thing over and over again.” She said while stirring the soup in the pot as it boils.

 

She suddenly remembered she hadn't said anything to the ahjumma about not letting someone see her or Yoogeun. “Ah, I should tell ahjumma to say I'm not here or Yoogeun in case someone finds us.” She wiped her wet hands with a towel and was about to leave the kitchen when the ahjumma comes in.

 

“Soeun-ah. Someone's looking for you. I told him I'll just call you for a while.”

 

She was taken a back for she was just about to tell her about it, but here she comes telling her that she has a visitor. Soeun knew no one was supposed to know where they were, so no one really should come finding her on that place.

 

She froze on her place until the ahjumma pulled her gently. “Come on, don't keep him waiting. I will finish this here so you should talk to him now. He said he came all the way to Seoul.” Without anymore words, the ahjumma just took over her cooking.

 

“Ahjumma. Please tell him I'm not here.” She said in despair. “Tell him I'm not here. He might be someone I'm not supposed to see right now. Please, ahjum-”

 

“Jung So Eun.” It was too late for Soeun when Jonghyun decided to peep into the kitchen and saw her standing there – back facing him as she talked to the ahjumma. The older woman was clueless about the two, wondering why the atmosphere was very different as how she thought it would be once they see each other.

 

“Excuse me.” The ahjumma must have felt the tension so she quickly left to give the two some time to talk to each other.

 

Soeun wanted to avoid him so she tried following the ahjumma, but Jonghyun quickly grabbed her arm as she passed along him. “You can't run away from me, Soeun.”

 

“Why are you here?” She asked while frowning. “You are not supposed to be going after us, Jonghyun. Go back to Seoul.” She removed her arm from his grip and went to the living area. Jonghyun followed.

 

“Why did you left? What happened? I thought we were okay and settled about Yoogeun? I just asked about the surname issue. If you didn't like the idea, you must have said so then I could understand!” He wasn't shouting though his voice sounded louder than normal.

 

“You won't understang.” Soeun said in a low voice, trying hard not to meet Jonghyun's eyes. “Go. Go back to Seoul.”

 

“I am staying until you and Yoogeun decide to be with me.” Jonghyun said which made Soeun in shock. She looked at her in a protesting expression. “You hear that, Soeun. I am not coming back without the two of you.”

 

“Please. Just go.” She was about to walk away again when he held her arm for the 2nd time. Soeun bit her lower lip as she tried to keep her tears from falling. She just didn't want to see Jonghyun at the moment.

 

“Why are you running away from me? Is it still about Yoogeun? Or is it about you this time?” Jonghyun said in his hardened expression. Jaws tightly closed for a moment. “You forgot me already, didn't you?”

 

“No.” Soeun said while looking at the floor. “I haven't. You guessed right. I ran away coz it's so painful to see you loving someone else instead of me. I should have been that person. I should have been that girl. Yoogeun and I should've been the people you sleep with at night.”

 

Jonghyun didn't expect those words from Soeun, and the feeling got worse when a drop of tear fell into his arm that was holding Soeun's tightly.


Chapter 41 - Won't Go

 

-comments are always highly appreciated- thanks.