A Good Start

Still You

 

I'm going to pick Yoogeun up.

 

It was the third time Soeun looked at her phone. Jonghyun texted her a while ago with that message, letting her know so she wouldn't go to his daycare anymore. After having more walks with Yeojin, both of them decided to call it a day so she went to her office to check on everything. Fortunately, no problem came up while she was away.

 

She was unconsciously turning her swivel chair left and right while thinking deeply. Jonghyun was very persistent into getting Yoogeun's sympathy that he was even picking him up from school every afternoon.

 

“Are you okay, manager?” The assistant said as she placed a cup of coffee on her table. She noticed how Soeun was spacing out with herself. “Is there something wrong?”

 

“Ha?” She looked into her as if it was the first time she ever heard her talk. “Oh.. uh, nothing. I'm fine.” She said and unconsciously bit her pen. The assistant then took a seat in front of her.

 

“Manager, I'm sorry, I know this is out of my concern but you seemed so bothered these days. Did something happened at home?” Soeun only looked at her and didn't answer. “About Yoogeun, maybe?”

 

Though Soeun wasn't really the type to tell about her stories, this particular assistant over here has become a friend to her as well. There were times when the both of them needed to stay up for the whole night because of some project that they had to finish within the deadline. When both of them feel bored and sleepy, they would unconsciously start a more personal converasation which will lead to some serious topic.

 

Soeun told her as much as being a single parent and the father of her child being away. She didn't know about everything, but the assistant knew a bit about the story.

 

“He came back.” Soeun said and let out a sigh. “He is with Yoogeun right now.”

 

“He found out?” Her eyes widened and leaned forward to her. “Aigoo, manager... did he say something wrong for you to be bothered like this? Is he taking Yoogeun?” She shook her head and looked away – still thinking about the possible things in the future.

 

Then the intercom connecting to the security office rang, “Manager Jung.”

 

“Ye?”

 

“Mr. Kim Jonghyun is here with your son. He said to meet them in the lobby.”

 

She was surprised after hearing about Kim Jonghyun – thinking why he would bother going there with Yoogeun. “Please tell him to wait for a bit.” She said and put down the phone and stood up. “He is in the lobby with Yoogeun. I don't know why he would be here, but I think I really need to go see him.”

 

She fixed her things on the table and took her phone, “Like the usual, just call me if something comes up. If I don't return at 6, then you can go home.” She said and immediately left the office.

 

Rushing to the lobby thinking about Yoogeun, she reached the ground floor just around 5 minutes later. Soon enough, she saw Jonghyun carrying Yoogeun on his arms while they were looking at a certain ad poster.

 

“Omma!” Yoogeun shouted as soon as he saw his mother approaching. “Omma! Come quick!” He seemed so excited and Soeun was curious why.

 

“Yoogeunnie~” Soeun smiled and rubbed his head. She couldn't even look at Jonghyun. “What's up?”

 

“Let's eat ice cream together!” Yoogeun happily told his omma, “And oppa told me he's going to buy me a toy car! Let's go together, omma!”

 

“Ah...” She smiled but didn't know what to say.


“Yoogeun wanted you to come so we went here to pick you up.” Jonghyun suddenly talked and put Yoogeun down, holding him with one hand. “He said he wanted to eat ice cream with you, and I couldn't say no.”

 

Soeun took a glance on him but looked back at Yoogeun, “Aiggoo~ You missed Omma?” She giggled when Yoogeun nodded.

 

“Let's go?” Yoogeun held his omma with his free hand while the other one was with Jonghyun. He switched gazes from Jonghyun and Soeun while the two stood there awkwardly – not knowing what to do, what to say, and what to act in front of their son. “Let's gooo~~” Yoogeun whined and gently pulled their hands as he started walking. The two couldn't do anything but to follow.

 

Soeun only held firmly into her son's hand. It was the only thing that could make her strong and able to withstand Jonghyun's presence around her.

 

Yoogeun talked a lot about his school. He talked about what they did during the play time and what they learned from the teacher. However, it seemed like Jonghyun and Soeun were not attentive enough to listen well and to understand what the kid was saying. They were busy with lots of thoughts that were running inside their heads.

 

Soon as they arrived at the ice cream parlor, Jonghyun stood up to take their orders. Yoogeun sat there happily. It was obvious that he was enjoying his time with his parents, something that Soeun had never seen before. That smile that was platered on her son's face was never there until now. Yes, he was the usual cheerful and bright boy, but this smile only appeared to him now. If it was because of Jonghyun, or because he kind of felt a complete family, she didn't know.

 

“My cookies and cream!” Yoogeun took his ice cream. “This is my favorite!” He said energetically to which Jonghyun smiled.

 

“I thought you have the same favorite flavor as omma. I was right.” He said and slowly pulled the bowl with the same ice cream flavor towards Soeun.

 

As they exchanged gazes for some split seconds, Soeun immediately looked away as she was afraid Jonghyun would read what was on her mind.

 

It was nothing, but still memories of yesterday...

 

But that was my flavor!” Soeun protested when Jonghyun placed the cookies and cream flavored ice cream on him and pushed the coffee crumble flavored ice cream towards Soeun. They were eating ice cream together after a long day from school.

 

This is mine~~” Jonghyun said cutely but she knew he was just teasing her.

 

No. That is -” As she was about to get the cookies and cream, Jonghyun blocked her by his face. “Yah~~”

 

Kiss.” Jonghyun closed his eyes and pouted – wanting her to kiss him in the lips. However, Soeun just pressed her cheek against his lips and chuckled. “Annii ~~ Lips.”

 

Anniii~” Soeun imitated and before Jonghyun was able to whine back, she sneakily took the cookies and cream ice cream from him and pushed the coffee crumble away.

 

You cheated!” Jonghyun shouted and chuckled while Soeun just stuck her tongue out.

 

“UHHMMM!!!!” Soeun went back to her senses as soon she heard Yoogeun's expression. “This is the best... but, can I put chocolate syrup on this?”

 

“Oh, you like? Appa will get it.” Jonghyun was about to stand up when Yoogeun stood up instead.


“No, appa. I can do it! Please wait here!” He said and ran to the counter to ask for chocolate syrup.

 

“I won't do it anymore.” Jonghyun uttered while Yoogeun was still not around. “But all I ask is for you to give me some time with Yoogeun. Be just like a father to him, and him being a real son to me.”

 

Soeun looked at him – assessing if he was serious. “I don't want someone else to be his father. Just me.”


She nodded, “Thank You.”  


Chapter 24 - Is it a bad or a wrong move?