Though Reality Hurts

Still You

 

 She flinched one more time on her left as Yeojin couldn't really sleep properly. It was the first time since they got married that Yeojin's not going to be with Jonghyun on her sleep. She wasn't used on sleeping without him anymore.

 

But more than that, she was feeling something weird in her that she couldn't explain. Yeojin was worried for some reasons – and she was thinking that probably because she was just overthinking – paranoid that Jonghyun wasn't by her side tonight.

 

She closed her eyes and tried to relx – but it was of no help because she couldn't be sleepy enough. Something's wrong, she thought to herself. Something's bothering her, and she won't be at ease once Jonghyun's finally home. She decided to get up and go out of the room to get some water on the fridge. Maybe a bit of refresher can make her feel a bit relaxed.

 

Closing the fridge, she heard someone pressing the codes on the door. It clicked. Yeojin placed the glass of water on the table – and ran towards the door to see if it was really Jonghyun.

 

“Yeobo!” It was almost 4 am when Jonghyun went home. She noticed he was still having a hang over since he couldn't walk straight inside. Yeojin was fast enough to help his husband reach the living area. “Aigoo~ You should've slept more in Kibum's house before you go home. He called me up that's why I knew you wouldn't come home over night.”


“I can't let you be alone for the whole night. I'm sorry I stayed outside for long.” He apologized while gaining support from his wife to make his body steady. Jonghyun was still dizzy. “Jinki drove to get me here.” He said.

 

“Just sit for a while here, I'll make some tea for you.” Settling him in the sofa, Yeojin stood up and ran to the kitchen to make something that can make him feel better. Meanwhile, Jonghyun sat there silently – thinking on how to explain everything to her.

 

He was sleeping then when Jinki suddenly barged inside Kibum's unit, telling him to sober up fast and go to Yeojin. He said things like he should be a real man and face everything with courage. Jinki added that drinking and getting all knocked up won't help him resolve whatever issue he has.

 

Though still sleepy and drunk, Jonghyun was forced to rise up and go home – with Jinki driving for him to reach their unit which is about 30 minutes away from Kibum's unit.

 

After about 5 minutes, Yeojin came back holding with her a small cup of tea. “Here. Drink this all.” She said with all care as she slowly removed Jonghyun's jacket. “Next time, don't drink too much.You know how far you can go when it comes to alcohol. Don't go over your limit.” Yeojin didn't forget to simply imply a reminder to her husband.

 

“I'm sorry.” Jonghyun only said. “I won't do that again.”

 

“I hope so.” Yeojin folded his jacket and stood up again. “You're a bit hot maybe because of what you drink. I'll go get some wet towel for you.”She stood up again and did what she said.

 

She went back few minutes with a wet towel. Jonghyun only stared at her as Yeojin carefully wipe his face and his arms with the towel. “I couldn't go to sleep properly because you were still outside.” She started talking but paused when she realized Jonghyun was just staring at her. “Why?”

 

“Nothing.” Jonghyun looked away and avoided her gaze. At first, Yeojin ignored that small thing, but as minutes went by, she realized, rather being drunk and unsobered up, Jonghyun looked rather bothered and confused.

 

“Did something happen?” Yeojin placed the towel on the center table and looked at Jonghyun.. He didn't say anything but still didn't look at her. “Something happened, right? Tell me, did you drink because of some other reasons?”

 

“Yeojin ah...” Jonghyun called softly and looked into her eyes. As their eyes met, Yeojin suddenly saw his restless expression. She knew from that moment that really, Jonghyun has gone through something.

 

“Are you going to say something to me?” Yeojin asked again when Jonghyun didn't talk for some time.

 

“I need to tell you something...” He started off and Yeojin nodded as if she was ready to receive whatever that is Jonghyun going to say. “Do you remember about the girl I told you before...”

 

Yeojin thought for a while, “Your ex girlfriend who left you because she didn't want a long distance relationship?” Jonghyun nodded. “What about her?”

 

“Something happened to us before.” He admitted, but only gain a smile from Yeojin.

 

“My love, don't you remember you told me that before?” Thinking that it was just because Jonghyun was still a bit tipsy, Yeojin cupped his face and kissed his nose. “Why are you so paranoid over those things when they are now in the past? Except of course if she suddenly appeared in front of us telling that you and her had a baby.”

 

Jonghyun didn't react and looked into her eyes. Yeojin suddenly felt weird at how Jonghyun reacted. She starte to be a bit scared and nervous. “Wait, yeobo.. You're not telling me that...”

 

Jonghyun grabbed both her hands and held them tightly as he looked into her eyes – ready to seek an apology anytime soon.

 

“Don't look at me like that. I'm scared.” Yeojin said with a shaky voice. “Tell me...”

 

“I... I have a.. a son.” He revealed and Yeojin immediately pulled out her hand to cover in surprise. Jonghyun lowered his head in apology – though he needed to say something more surprising than that.

 

“A- a son?” Yeojin's sobs were heard immediately, but she wasn't crying heavily.

 

“I didn't know. I'm sorry, Yeojin. I didn't know.” He took her hands again and kissed them – as if doing so will make Yeojin's heart feel better. “I'm sorry.”

 

“How – how did you... how did you found out?” Yeojin asked between sobs. “Did she look for you?”

 

Wiping her tears away, Jonghyun gathered up another set of courage to reveal another truth to her. “Jung So Eun...” He uttered. “She's my ex.”

 

Instead of blurting out some words to convey how shock she was, Yeojin bit her lower lip and let out another silent cry – but it was more painful. She couldn't stop from tearing up – and it was also a difficult sight for Jonghyun to see.

 

“...and my son... is Jung Yoogeun.”

 

“A-andwae... andwae... andwae...” She cried and stood up – walking back and forth. “No. that cannot be. No. No, Jonghyun. You just like him as your friend's son. He isn't your son.”

 

Jonghyun stood up and walked to his wife. “I'm sorry, Yeojin-ah. I'm really sorry. I don't know what to do but please forgive me.”

 

“Oppa....” She looked at him full of hurt and sorrow. Jonghyun then pulled her into a tight hug. “Oppa... why??”

 

He couldn't explain it himself, for just like Yeojin, he was surprised and it was unexpected for him as well. Five years and he never heard anything from anyone, and now, while his happily married with his wife, something big like this will come up. He just couldn't do anything but hug her tightly.

 

“Yeojin-ah...”

 

After few minutes, Yeojin let go and wiped her tears. He was assessing if she's angry or what. “How do you feel when you find out he's your son?” She asked calmly.

 

“I... I don't know.” He uttered. “What I felt was like... I'm so stupid. I'm stupid about being ignorant about him all these years.”

 

“Aren't you happy about Yoogeun turning out to be yours for real?”

 

“Yeojin ah...”

 

“I'm mad because you didn't tell me she is your ex girlfriend, and I'm mad because we talked just like friends during the fashion event, but she didn't say anything. It was obvious that she was trying to hide the reality from us...” She was saying she's mad but it didn't show on her face. She looked rather disappointed than mad. “But I guess she has reasons for hiding.” Yeojin looked up to Jonghyun and cupped his face again. “However you want to go with this, I'll support you. He's your son, and I understand how you liked him from the start though you were not aware of it. So do what you think is right.”

 

“I'm sorry... and thank you very much.”

 

“I could only do this much.” She lowered down her head and rested it on his chest. “Do everything to make Yoogeun acknowledge you as a father.” She said dearly – her profound love for him obviously showing.


Chapter 19 - Taking What's Mine