Questions

Bonds of reason

 

Chapter 6 – Questions

 

God. Why should he be here. Right now.

 

“Waeyo?” Youngsaeng shouted looking at my expression after I hung up.

 

“That Big man came back!!” I told him. “Big man” it was the initial I use to call my foster father.

 

“What? He’s here? That means you should go back now right?” He asked.

 

“I’ll borrow your driver okay!!” I ran to take my bag and went into one of his family’s car. A white limo. There’s no other car on his house except his family’s limos and his Lamborghini.

 

“Could you please drive faster..” I asked the driver.

 

*riing riing* “What? I’ll be there in 5 minutes okay..” I said on the phone.

 

“Where are you right now?” I heard a husky voice instead of Kyujong’s.

 

“Oh, father.. I’m on my way home..” I said.

 

“Be sure you’ll be home in a few minutes.. I’ve got something important to talk to you..” he said then hung up. The only thing I could do was sighing. It’s not like that I scare of him. I respect him, even more than I could respect any other older people. Somehow I feel thankful for letting me live, but somehow I could feel angry or mad for what he did to my family. I arrived at home 3 minutes later. The driver was driving with a crazy speed.

 

“Thanks.” I ran inside after I said my thanks and he took the leave. “Hey Dorry..” I said to my dog.

 

“Father..” I ran into his office room. He was sitting in front of his chess set.

 

“Oh, you’re back.. Sit..” I told me and I sat in front of him. He took the first move. “Where were you?” He said after I made my move.

 

“I’m from Youngsaeng’s house..” I said, not mentioning that we got kidnapped and blah blah blah.

 

“You sure? Just it? You didn’t meet anyone?” He asked while thinking or pretending to think.

 

“.. No..” I don’t know. I have a feeling that I didn’t want to tell him what happened before between me and that old man.

 

“You know that I don’t like a liar right..” He was now facing me, looking straight into my eyes.

 

“Actually.. I did meet someone..” I finally answered.

 

“Who? Did he mention something about you?”

 

“He told me that.. that.. that he’s my grandfather..”

 

“I knew it.. Listen.. No matter what happen, what’s going on or no matter in what condition you are.. Never. Listen. To. Any. Stranger. Especially someone that claimed to be your family or something blah blah.” He stressed every last words.

 

“You might lose your life you know. Especially you have that on you..” He pointed to my chest, referring to my ring. I just nodded.

 

“How do you know? All those things.” I finally managed to ask him.

 

“Shouldn’t you change the question. Is there anything that I don’t know. I know everything, you and Kyujong that lacking everyday at school even though your grades are the top one, well I don't care about that. Your basketball lover friend, that geek, and that little playboy..” He said.

 

“Oh..” The only thing I could say.

 

“You could go back to your room now..” He said and I took my leave.

 

“Hyunjoong..”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Remember.. No matter what.. Protect that ring and yourself.. Even if right now I have no intention on that thing.. There’s so many people would came to cross a river that full of alligator to get you along with your ring.. Understand?”

 

“Yes, don’t worry..” I left the room and went straight to my room.

 

“Hyung.. You’re back..” I met Kyujong halfway to my room.

 

“Oh.. You.. Wake me up later okay.. On dinner time..” I told him.

 

“Waeyo? You seemed so tired..”

 

“No, nothing.. Don’t worry..” I said, and messed his hair. I could see worry on his eyes. Am I tired? Yes, mentally. Not physically. I felt like a dumb, not knowing anything about myself, my family, especially this ring. This ring that almost made me lose my life three times. Everyone told me to protect the ring no matter what. To protect myself from anything because there’s always danger behind me and else. I’m a total dumb for not knowing anything. Is that person really my grandfather? Or he just some new bad guys that after me? I couldn’t find any clue to those things.

 

I laid onto my bed once I reached my room. I buried my head onto my pillow while I was recalling the time when I almost lose my life for the second time after the first time when the assassination was done. I was only 13 that time.

 

-Flashback-

 

“Remember to not follow anyone..” Big man said to me every time when I went out from home.

 

“Hey kid, I know you’re always bringing that ring of yours with you everywhere. Would you mind to give it to me? I would not harm you if you gave that thing to me, not even a little scratch..” The kidnapper said to me. I was kidnapped on my way back from school, Kyujong ran away first to told father like I told him to do. Maybe it’s a good thing that I kept my ring on my wallet today.

 

“Don’t look at me like that, you can’t even get up right now..” He said playing with his knife.

 

“You still don’t want to speak up?” He took out his gun and pointed it at me.

 

“You won’t get anything from killing me..” I finally managed to utter a few words.

 

“How about this?” He shot me at my left arm. A sudden pain went over my whole body. “No? This?” He shot again at my right foot. I could bear the pain that attacking me, but I couldn’t bear my hatred to this guy in front of me. “You still don’t want to speak it up?” I won’t speak a word anymore, nor that I show him where I hid the ring. He gave another shot right at my stomach. This time I groaned. The pain was just so terrible. The image in front of me gone blurred. Maybe because of loss of blood.

 

“The next bullet would blow your head up.. Speak up if you want your life.. I will count to three” he said.

 

“One..” He aimed his gun at my forehead.

 

“Two..” He pulled the trigger.

 

*Bang*

 

His body fell down in front of me because of a head shot.. And someone was already standing behind. It was him, my family’s murderer, but my savior. Big man was there standing alone with gun on his hand. My vision went all blurry again, he came up to me.

 

“Could you stand?” I nodded, even though I’m not even sure that I could sit properly. I tried to stood up, but instead I fell back down.

 

“Hey, you okay.. God.. 3 shots..” I still could hear him even though I’m not sure.

 

“You have to keep awake.. Don’t fall asleep.. You’ll be okay, don’t worry..” He said to me.

 

“I.. can’t.. bear it.. anymore..” I said, my head went all dizzy and pain has taken all over my body.

 

“Hyunjoong-ah.. Hyunjoong..” I could heard his voice volume went so small, or it’s just me that almost lost my consciousness.

 

“Hey.. Hyunjoo..” That’s his last words I could hear before everything went black.

 

-End of flashback-

 

“Why the world is just too cruel to me..” I spoke to the air and rolled over and face my family’s photo, the one that I found from my flattened down house.

 

“Don’t worry hyung.. I’ll promise I’ll keep this safe..” I said and sighed, facing the ceiling and went to my deep sleep.