✏ sixty-six: Music Box [ BaekJiKris ]

✏ exopink one shots ♪

Title: Music Box
Characters: Byun Baekhyun, Jung Eunji, Wu Yifan (Kris) [ BaekJiKris ]
Written: December 26-27,2013
Words: 1,799
Inspired by: Fairy Dance - Remi (used the youtube replayer!)
Requested by: eunjiswife
Author's Note: Oh my gosh...I'm finally back with a one shot! I missed writing so much ;_; I'm so sorry I haven't been updating! I've been so busy lately. OTL I've been studying my off these past few weeks. The longest I ever studied in a night was 7 hours... OTL However, I hope all of you had a nice Christmas! I'm really thankful for all the support you guys are giving despite my disappearance. I'm back for now though! Maybe I can squeeze in a double update today. ^^ Thank you so much! <3 I hope you guys enjoy it! (My writing may have deteriorated orz)

☁☁

Once upon a time—

Scratch that. How do I even start—

“Eunji-ah, it’s time for you to sleep!” Oh, I guess that’s our entrance.

The little and petite girl sat on the floor as her arms rest on the windowsill, looking out to see the bright moon. She found tranquility most at night, where her imaginations and thoughts run wild and free. Her mother walked in with her crown sparkling lowly from the moonlight. “Eunji, it’s past your bedtime,” She sweetly said as she walked closer to her daughter, placing her hand on her daughter’s shoulder.

“Mother, I can’t sleep,” She whispered as she stood up, her round eyes staring up at her mother. Her mother just smiled and looked at her, her eyes softening. “I got just the thing to help,” She replied as she told her daughter to get to her bed and walked off quickly. The child did as told and tucked herself in bed; the pillows helping her sit up slightly. The shadow of her mother reappeared and she walked to her daughter with a small box in her hands.

“This should help you sleep,” She opened the box and settled it onto the bedside, a gentle melody playing. Eunji’s eyes followed the plastic man spinning, her smile softening. The melody danced through her ears as her eyes close, pulling the blankets closer to her. The mother smiled warmly and bent down, kissing her daughter’s forehead, “I had something very similar to this. You’ll find the joy—but please, be careful.”

10 years later

“Eunji, you’re 20 years old already…how can you still have that music box put you to sleep?” Eunji’s friend, Chorong, asked as they sat in her room. “Let’s just say—it’s like a good luck charm to me,” Eunji replied as she stared at her open music box, not a sound playing.

“Maybe that’s why Kris broke up with you,” Chorong’s younger brother blurted out softly as he stood by the door, his arms crossed. Chorong’s eyes widened as she grabbed the nearest pillow and threw it at him, “Hey, Park Chanyeol! Don’t you dare say that name ever again!” Eunji laughed it off and shook her head, “Don’t worry, Chorong. I’m completely over him.”

Chorong raised an eyebrow and huffed, standing up in irritation. “That’s only what your mind says, Eunji…” She softened up as she looked at her best friend, “You and Kris were like the sun and moon—opposites that complete each other. Eunji, please stop saying things that you don’t mean…You’ll only hurt yourself in the end…like what I did,” Chorong’s voice grew softer as she hid her lips, walking over to her younger brother.

“I’ll catch you later, okay?” She closed the door and immediately her voice echoed. “Park Chanyeol, I’m so going to kill you! Watch what happens when I tell Namjoo about what you said!” A deep whimper followed her shouting as a few slaps accompanied. “Noona! Please, stop! Don’t tell her!”

Eunji let out a dry laugh as she laid down on her comfortable bed—her only best friend at the moment. Chorong was right—she had to stop saying these words she didn’t mean. Her eyes closed as she wanted to rethink her thoughts; however, all she saw was pitch black and fell into a deep slumber.

Night graced upon the palace and soon, a huge gust snuck through the cracks of the window, making its way past Eunji. The figure on the music box slowly started to move in a circle, a white light suddenly popping up. Eunji’s face scrunched as she covered her face with her forearm, slowly sitting up. She rubbed her eyes and heard the music playing, the familiar tone from when she was young playing.

“Eunji, you’re up,” A male voice sung as she looked up to the figure. The figure on the music box…was alive. A real prince.

“Baekhyun,” Eunji murmured as she stood up, her smile brighter than the full moon. He laughed and held his hand out, “Ready to venture out again?” She gladly placed her hand in his and gave a firm nod, “You know I always am.” Just as the two were about to head to the window the door immediately opens, Eunji’s mother standing there.

“Eunji,” Her mother called out as the two young adults jumped in shock. “Mother,” Eunji breathed as she held onto his hand tightly, not wanting him to leave. “I can’t give you permission to be with Baekhyun…” Her mother hung her head down as she gulped.

“Queen Jung…please…” Baekhyun pleaded as he took his first step, but Eunji’s mother shook her head. “I can’t—‘”

“My dad—‘” Baekhyun started, but her mother quickly beamed back. “Don’t—mention your father to me…” She took a deep breath and firmly looked at Eunji, “I know you and Kris aren’t together anymore—but the arranged marriage is still in plan. Please remember that.” She grabbed the doorknob and closed the door, looking up as her eyes slowly closed.

Eunji’s grip loosened as her eyes started to get watery. Baekhyun turned back and immediately cupped her face, staring at her warmly. “Eunji—you don’t have to do this,” He whispered as he watched her tears slowly fall down her cheeks.

“I have to, Baekhyun. This is the only way to avoid wars,” Eunji said through her tears, her heart sinking down slowly. Despite Baekhyun’s curse of becoming a figurine, he still had feelings of a regular human being. He immediately wrapped his arms around her shoulders and hugged her tight, “Just remember that I’ll always be here—at night.”

Eunji and Kris’ wedding proceeded as planned and many were delighted with the news. However, Eunji was disheartened by the thought of being married to someone she once loved. On their first night together, Eunji kept her distance in bed. Kris sat up and sighed, running his hand through his hair. “Eunji…” He whispered as he the lamp beside him.

With her back facing him, she let out a deep sigh, “What?” He rested his head back and let the silence fill in for a few seconds before continuing, “Are you willing—to give me a second chance?” A small laugh escaped the woman’s lips as she sat up, not even caring to take a second look at her ex-lover. “I’m sorry, Kris. I just can’t…” She whispered as she stood up from the bed, grabbing her music box and starting to exit the room.

Kris’ eyebrow rose and he immediately got off the bed and strolled to her, “You always have that music box, Eunji…Why?”

Eunji stopped and turned around, finally meeting eyes with him, “Because it sure understands me more than you.” She exited the room and walked over to her old bedroom, finding everything in the same place. She places the music box on the bed and opens it, revealing the figurine. Immediately, white light glowed from the box, Baekhyun sitting on the bed. “Eunji?” He whispered as he stood up in a panic manner, “Something wrong?”

She walked towards him and wrapped her arms around his waist, closing her eyes tight. “I don’t want to be married to him…I really don’t,” She buried her face in his chest and felt his arms wrap around her shoulders, his chin resting on top of her head.

“Maybe—you should give him that second chance,” His voice shook as he looked straight ahead, seeing Eunji’s mother standing there. “Eunji, your father wants to see you,” Her mother called out quietly as Eunji hesitantly released herself from the hug.

As she exited, her mother closed the door behind her, facing Baekhyun. “Your father—‘” Her mother took a deep breath and held her hands together; “He left for a reason, right?” Baekhyun’s jaw clenched as he nodded in response.

“Care to tell me why?” She asked as she sat down on one of the chairs, her hands squeezing tight. Baekhyun sat back down on the bed and sat up straight, still in the presence of a well-known queen. “My father loved you very much; however, we’re cursed, Queen Jung. We’re only alive during night, never in the day. My father was worried that if something ever happened to you during the day—he wouldn’t be there for you. He ran away for the better…”

“And that’s what you’re planning to do to Eunji, right?” Her mother replied quietly as she inhaled deeply. Baekhyun’s head hung down as he nodded, “I really love your daughter, Queen Jung. I don’t want anything to happen to her. I’ve done my part of helping her blossom into a beautiful young woman. Kris really had no intentions of breaking up with her. I think after I leave—she’ll learn to love him again.”

Eunji’s mother nodded and stood up, holding her arms out. Baekhyun followed and hugged her gently, his eyes slowly filling with water. “When you return back…tell your father I said hi,” Her mother whispered as she held him longer.

That night, Baekhyun left without a word to Eunji. Her mother watched him leave, following the direction of the moon. She let out a small sigh and exited the room, seeing her daughter walk back to her bedroom. “Eunji—‘” Her mother stopped her daughter as she held her hand,  “Please don’t get mad at me, okay? Baekhyun…had to return home.”

The daughter’s eyes widened as she shook her head, “No he didn’t. This is his home!” Kris slowly walked out of the shared bedroom and sighed quietly. “Eunji—Baekhyun has his own family,” He entered the conversation and she looked back at him. “How do you know about Baekhyun?”

“I knew all along, Eunji. I had a music box almost like yours—she was beautiful. But she had to leave…I never learned the reason why until a while ago,” He admitted and Eunji walked closer to him. Her mother smiled lightly and walked away, leaving the now married couple.

“They left us because we finally grew up. We were the children that were unique…We needed someone special throughout our life,” He explained as he reached out to grab Eunji’s hand gently. “That’s their mission, Eunji. It may seem like they’re leading us on—but they’re not. They’re simply leading us to love another the same way they did,” He gazed into her eyes—not with those ice cold pupils, but with sincerity and honesty. He brought her into a hug and paused before speaking again, “That’s what I learned from them, Eunji. I hope you learned the same way too…”

Eunji’s eyes widened as she saw this new image of Kris. She smiled lightly and nodded slowly, her arms gently wrapping around his waist. “I’ll give you this second chance…Kris.”