✏ twenty-three: Mistake (Valentine's Day Project) [ Kaieun / Rhodes ]

✏ exopink one shots ♪

Title: Mistaken 
Pairing: Kim Jongin (Kai) & Son Naeun [ Kaieun / Rhodes ] + slight Kaistal from f(exo)
Written: March 8, 2013
Words: 2,218
Inspired by: EXO-K's answers from Ivy Club | Jongin's answers about not receiving chocolates.
Author's Note: Hello! I'm glad to be updating again ;~; Spring break is starting after next week so hopefully I'll be able to start writing even more one shots! I hope this will be alright ^^ I feel like I didn't make sense OTL It doesn't seem as much of a Valentine's Day theme, but it fits somehow :D Also, thank you for all the support. I honestly just found out that two peopled liked this from Facebook xD Whoever those two are: thank you very much! I really appreciate it ^^ Thank you once again!

Dear Jongin,

I hope you accept this chocolate. I’ve made it a lot of times, but I’ve never gave them to anyone throughout my life. I made these chocolate specially for you and for now, I want to anonymously send my love to you.

Honestly, I don’t know how to explain my feelings to you, Jongin. I’ve always liked you and I’ve always been behind the scene with you. No one can compare to you because my heart has been set for you.

I’d be very happy if you accepted this chocolate and enjoyed it. Thank you.

Happy Valentine’s Day.

That was dated two years ago when Jongin was in his second to the last year of high school. His heart fluttered and his stomach was in knots while he read the letter. It was his first time receiving chocolates in years despite his handsome looks. He was known as a hot shot in his high school days, but since he’s now in college, not a lot has happened.

However, he did get a girlfriend. Is his girlfriend the secret admirer?

“What do you mean he’s not going out with you?” Yookyung screams over the phone as she sits in her dorm, pursing her lips in confusion. “I thought by the handwriting, he’d definitely figure it out!” She retorts while the bright sun shines in her window.

On the other side of the world, Naeun lets out a dissatisfied sigh, “I don’t know. It was two years ago though. It doesn’t matter anymore.” She taps her fingers on her desk while looking out the window, seeing the moon shine directly above her.

“Gosh, he’s some cousin. Who’s he going out with now?” Yookyung replies as she hears the door open behind her, seeing a tall man approach her. She waves as she mouths who she’s talking to.

“Soojung…” Naeun whispers in a low voice as she bites her bottom lip, closing her eyes before hearing Yookyung gasp. “What? Her? She knew you liked him too!” Yookyung starts ranting and mumbling more words. “Yookyung, calm down,” A deep voice says in English as a small chuckle is heard over the line.

Naeun smiles as she hears his voice, “Is that Kris?” Yookyung stops for mere seconds, mumbling a yes before continuing to rant. They were so cute, especially since they both had plans of moving to America. Just as Naeun was going to continue, she hears a couple of beeps, glancing at her phone.

“Sorry, Yookyung. Jongin is calling,” Naeun replies as both of them says their final goodbyes. Taking the call, Naeun takes a deep breath. I wonder why he’s calling so late.

If the phone had a smelling detector, it would have alerted the lingering smell of alcohol. “Hey you~” His slurred voice sings through the phone as her eyes widen. How can he be drinking? He never drinks. “I need—ride—home. Pick—up, okay?” He pauses as he emits laughs. She swear she could have smelled the disgusting alcohol through the phone. After slowly garnering information on where he is, she immediately grabs her car keys and heads towards the destination.

Entering the white tent, she sees a familiar male with his upper half of his body lying on the table. Numerous of shot glasses were spread across the table and his eyes were closed with a sheepish grin. Naeun sighs quietly and approaches the drunken male. Her heart is beating quickly in anxiety and her hand slowly reaches out to pat his broad shoulder. “Jongin,” She whispers with some authority as the male stirs in his slumber.

“Kim Jongin,” Her voice raises as the male slowly sits up, his eyes opening slightly to look at the female, “Oh, it’s you~” He chuckles lowly as he tugs on her hand, pulling her down to meet face-to-face with her. “Let’s go home~” He grins sheepishly as his breath travels to Naeun’s nose. Twitching her nose cutely, she puts his hand around her neck while her other arm goes around his waist.

Assisting him to the car, she straps Jongin to the passenger seat, glancing at his exhausted features. However, she notices that his eyes are red and puffy. Blinking, she watches him fall back into a slumber. Looking at him just made her go back to the high school days where they would be with each other every day, talking about their day and hanging out with each on weekends.

It was a quiet ride to Jongin’s small apartment as she tries to pay attention to the road. It was raining a few hours ago and the glistening road makes small ripple sounds as she speeds up.

“…Soojung,” He mutters in his sleep as he turns his head, resting it on the frame of the car. She glances at him and bites her bottom lip, sighing quietly. “If only you knew,” She whispers while gripping on the steering wheel.

It took a lot of patience for Naeun to help Jongin get to his apartment. His legs were feeble and his eyesight was blurry. Everything was spinning and turning for him and as he enters the apartment, he immediately falls to floor, pulling on Naeun’s hand to bring both of them falling.

Closing her eyes tightly, she feels a cushion beneath her, seeing Jongin and his droopy eyes underneath her. Her eyes widen as she tries to pull away; however, his arms were wrapped around her waist tightly, not wanting to let go. “Soojung, I love you,” He grins as he lifts his head up to kiss Naeun’s soft lips.

In just those milliseconds, Naeun could have sworn that she fell in love with him—again. However, just saying the wrong name pained her heart. The way he kissed her made her truly believe that this must have been why he’s such a good boyfriend. His kisses felt like he’s just had his first kiss: soft and gentle like a feather.

She immediately pulls away and struggles out of his gasp, tears immediately forming at the corner of her eyes. “I like you, Jongin, so much that is hurts me,” She immediately runs out of the door and covers her lips with the back of her hand, running to go inside her car. She lays her head against the steering wheel, tears falling down her face as she hears rain pellets hit against the window.

The next morning, Naeun wakes up in her own bed, confused. The last time she remembered, she was in her car crying and that it was raining hard. Her fingers slowly go up to her eyes, feeling how puffy and swollen her eyes were. She sighs quietly and stands up, walking towards the kitchen. However, something aromatic enters her nose as she tilts her head slightly.

“Oh, Naeun, you’re up,” The voice makes time freeze. Naeun stands there like a statue, staring at him. Her heart starts palpitating again as she immediately brings a hand up to her other arm, looking at the ground. “Jongin, what are you doing here?” She breathes.

He chuckles as he places the food on the table, walking towards her. “Well, when I was going out for a jog this morning, I saw you in your car. You know how dangerous it is to have your doors unlocked?” He shakes his head and clicks his tongue.

“You don’t have a hangover?” She mutters while walking towards the balcony, opening the curtains to reveal the morning sun. “Hm? How did you know I had one?” He questions while wiping his hands on the rag, then walking towards her.

“You don’t remember, don’t you?” Her voice slowly gets louder as she turns around to face him, “You called me to bring you home form your drinking session.” He stares at her while bringing his fingers up to brush against his lips.

“Don’t tell me…that wasn’t a dream?” Jongin blankly stares at the ground, frantically looking back at her.

Naeun scratches her head loosely, “You kissed me, Jongin. You stole my first kiss.”

His eyes widen in shock, shaking his head, “I’m so sorry, Naeun. I really didn’t mean to—I thought you were—‘”

“Soojung, I know,” She cuts him off while looking at him. They were about four feet away from each other, silence surrounding them. “Shouldn’t you be going back to her? I bet she’s worried about you.”

Jongin gulps and looks to the side, rubbing the back of his neck, “No, she’ll be alright. Right now, you’re a priority.” Naeun lets out a small effortless laugh, crossing her arms, “I’m actually a priority this time? You’ve always put Soojung first ever since you two have been going out. I’ve known you since elementary school and out of all the times you’ve broken down, I was there for you.”

“Hey, calm down,” Jongin starts as he takes a step forward, his hand slightly reaching out towards her. “You’re so oblivious though,” She continues as her eyes slowly turn watery again. “You said you went out with her because you thought she gave you the chocolates, right?” He nods and tilts his head in confusion, “She did though…right?”

“That’s where you’re wrong,” Naeun’s voice slowly quivers, her hands shaking as she brings her hands down to tug on the hem of her shirt, “I gave you the letter, Jongin. Did you read that letter carefully? It said I’ve always been behind the scenes with you. Soojung has only been there for you when I was in Japan.”

“Wait, Naeun,” He tries to collect all the new information in his head, everything soon coming into place. “Why didn’t you say anything?” His voice immediately springs out in curiousness, taking another step towards her. “Didn’t you say you liked Soojung anyways? Both of you liked each other so why should I ruin it?” Naeun starts walking away from him by going around the couch and then the front door.

Naeun opens the door slowly and hangs her head down, “You should really get going to her now.” Jongin slowly makes his way towards her, about to completely leave the apartment. However, just as he passed her, he saw one tear drop to the ground. He immediately walks back inside and closes the door behind him, wrapping his arms around her shoulders. “Naeun…”

“Stop it, just stop it,” She shakes her head as more tears flow down her cheeks, “You’re just—making everything worse.” She tries to escape from his grasp, pushing her hands against his chest. She pushes him back as gently as possible, tears continuing to drop, “This isn’t right!”

“Soojung and I aren’t together anymore, okay?” Jongin’s voice raises as breathes deeply, “That’s why I was drinking last night!” He pauses and looks at her with sincerity, “But really, why didn’t you tell me anything, Naeun? You didn’t think I had feelings for you too?”

The beauty blinks and nods, her dry lips, “You always talked about Soojung so I just—‘”

“And that’s when you’re wrong, Naeun,” He continues to take his step, “I’ve only talked about her because I didn’t want you to know that I liked you. I was so afraid because you were just so beautiful to every guy. If you knew I liked you, then you wouldn’t have talked to me because you would think I’m like every guy: just wanting to get with you.”

Naeun laughs quietly and shakes her head, “I wouldn’t have thought that. You’re my friend since elementary, I couldn’t have just stopped like that.”

“But I guess I was wrong too,” He mumbles, “I should have told you my real feelings too, but—I just felt like you deserved more than a guy like me. But I think this shows just how much we mistook each other’s feelings. We were just so oblivious to the fact that we liked each other.”

Naeun could feel her cheeks into a deep red, tears slowly starting to dry. She looks up at him and slowly takes her first step towards him. Jongin smiles warmly as he immediately takes her into a deep embrace, holding her tightly with his arms around her shoulders once again. “I was stupid,” He sighs quietly as he feels her small arms wrap around his waist just as tight.

“You aren’t,” She beams, closing her eyes tightly and smelling his scent that is lingering on his shirt. “You know, those chocolates were really good. I can remember them like it was yesterday,” He chuckles softly as he pulls back from the hug, resting his forehead on hers, “Will you be able to make them again?”

Naeun’s bright smile finally makes an appearance as she hums quietly, “Alright. It may not be good as the first time I made it for you.”

“I’m sure it’ll be even sweeter,” He winks playfully as Naeun hits his shoulder playfully in return. “C’mon, it’s just a joke! Kisses that involve chocolate are cute!” He retorts as Naeun pulls away, walking towards the kitchen.

“Nope, we’re not moving that fast, mister,” She taps his nose and grabs an apron, wrapping it around her waist.

Jongin watches her and trails behind her, wrapping his arms around her waist from behind, “And I’ll be sure to go with the pace with you, Naeunie.”