✏ fifty-five: Shadow [ YooKaiJae ]

✏ exopink one shots ♪

Title: Shadow
Characters: Yoo Youngjae, Hong Yookyung, Kim Jongin (Kai) [ bapinkexo ]
Written: July 21, 2013
Words: 1,465
Requested by: Misseumong
Author's Note: First of all, happy belated birthday to the gorgeous maknae Hayoung <3 And congratulations on the two wins the girls has made <3 I honestly cried on their speech for music bank ;~; Also, I'm really sorry for my late update OTL I've been having Krisho feelings and kind of started writing one of those angsty stories. I'm still going through the plot of it, but if I ever finish it, maybe I'll post it ouo Thank you for all the support with the new subscribers, comments, and from the last upvotes a long time ago xD I'll continue to write well! ^^

P.S. I don't even know what I'm writing again OTL

Shadows, what are they exactly? When the sun illuminates on you, there’s a small silhouette following you, almost like another person right behind you. Shadows—they’re underrated, they’re just followers. That’s what I am, a shadow.

Throughout my high school years, I’ve been hidden. None of the students really talked to me or even looked at me. You could say it’s sad, but that’s exactly what I’ve wanted to be ever since middle school. I wanted people to look back when they’re older and think: That’s him? He was in my class before, wow, he’s so successful now.

A crazy dream, huh? However, one of my other reasons to become a shadow is because of one simple person. In my last year of middle school, I met someone that I never would forget.

“Are you okay?” A girl asked as she walked towards me on the rooftop. I was lying down with one of my forearms on top of my forehead to block the sun hitting my eyes. Though, when I looked towards the figure that approached me, it was like I saw a halo on top of her head. The way she walked was graceful and silent. Wait, did she have wings on her back? No—I’m seeing things.

I sat up slowly with my knees propped up and my arms resting on them, “Yeah.” She sat beside me and breathed softly, her eyes looking up to the sky. “I’m Yookyung,” She whispered as she held her hand out, her eyes looking directly at me. I stared at her hands for a few good seconds before I shook her hand gently, “Jongin.”

She was literally the first girl to actually take note of my presence.

Ever since that day, I’ve seen her constantly, but again, my presence lacked. We never talked again after our first meeting. Unfortunately, once we got into high school, that halo I once saw that graced her figure broke. She is definitely still an angel, but angels are like humans too. They have feelings, emotions, and the same type of thinking as humans. The light that enriched the halo grew dull and part of her halo was chipped off.

I think it’s all thanks for that devil Yoo Youngjae. When they started going out during our second year of high school, her soft smile altered into straight lips and sometimes frowns. She’s simply blinded by first love.

One morning, I just took my step out of the house to begin walking to school. With my hands buried in my pockets, I walk casually despite feeling very lethargic. As I was walking, I catch a glimpse of a very familiar figure walking a distance in front of me. She walks quietly and gracefully, respectively bowing to the neighbors and elders. She just exudes properness and royalty. She can definitely pass as a princess if today still had monarchy.

Walking to the school can be quite a hassle, especially with that gang always hanging around by the closed liquor store. They check out girls from behind, try to flirt with them, and some of them straight out utilize skinship. I watch Yookyung from behind carefully, glaring at the men who are trying to hit on her. Quickly I walk closer towards her and stare at the three men, their bodies immediately retreating back.

Yookyung just stares at them and blinks, continuing to make her way to school. I take very gentle and quiet steps so maybe she’s not able to feel my presence, huh? I sometimes laugh at myself just because I’m unnoticeable to my classmates.

At school, I walk towards my classroom and sit down as students start to fill the class. The girls’ high pitched giggles honestly annoyed me and the males who were usually talking about girls just irritated me even more. However, what really bugged me were Yookyung and Youngjae who were sitting right in front of them. Their soft laughter and murmurs to each other makes me want to rip my heart out and just stay there lifeless.

It hurts to watch the person you love go ahead and love someone else. But the problem is that I’m not noticed anymore, people just bump into me and act like they’ve just bumped into air. It’s ridiculous, but I’m willing to live with it.

I watch Youngjae’s hand wrap around her shoulders, whispering little things into her ears. Yookyung just leans into him and laugh, almost leaning her head in the crook of his neck.

During lunch, they’d feed each other and not even acknowledge that I’m right behind them. Sometimes I feel like puking, but if I was in Youngjae’s position, I’d probably do the same exact thing.

The next week at school, Yookyung sits by herself. Her body is turned towards the window as she cups her cheek, taking note of the scenery. When she’s like that, you know Youngjae had something to do with it. Youngjae walks in and takes his seat beside Yookyung, a sigh escaping his lips.

The female turns towards him and lays her hand on his forearm, “Youngjae-ah…” Youngjae closes his eyes and moves away, “No…”

How can he be mad at her? She looks like a pure and committed girl, she couldn’t do anything wrong. That same feeling of wanting to rip my heart out definitely became an option right now. Youngjae is a good guy to be honest, but maybe relationships aren’t right for him. He’s too concentrated on technology here and there such as video games.

That same night, rain pours hard and the sound of droplets hitting against materials fills my silent ears. Leaning against the rail of the balcony, I watch the rain drop down. However, a head of light brown walks pass the house, not caring about the rain at all.

It’s her.

I immediately grab an umbrella and rush downstairs, my feet tapping against the puddles forming on the sidewalk. Tonight, I’ll get rid of being known as Yookyung’s shadow. I’ll be the shadow that will disappear and become a real person instead. I run towards her and place the umbrella over her, the sound of rain hitting against the umbrella heavily catching her attention.

She turns around and her eyes widen, staring at me for a few good seconds. “Yookyung,” I whisper as I stand outside the umbrella. Just like a shadow, black shadows don’t appear in the rain of darkness. None of the lights were on and it was only car lights being illuminated dimly.

Shadows—they’re a sign that you’re living and that shadow protects you. That’s what I am, a shadow that protects Yookyung. Now, it’s time to shed that title and instead become her real friend.

“J-Jongin, right?” She mutters as she points to me, her clothes and hair drenched from the rain. However, her eyes were clearly red and I could see tears slowly going down her pure cheeks.

I nod and slowly lead her towards the house, letting her sit down on the couch. “What did Youngjae do?” I ask as I pass her towel. I sat on the other side of the couch to distance ourselves.

“How’d you know?” She whispers as she looks down, drying her face with the towel. This is where I start to confess and make her surprised. “Honestly, when you two had your lovey dovey moments in class, I’m right behind you two since I’m seated there. I naturally knew when you two were in a problem or not,” I reply casually as her emotions turns shocked. I knew it.

She sighs softly and looks at the floor, “Youngjae and I got into a little argument about technology and all. You know…he seems to love technology so much more than how he loves me. I’m not trying to be selfish or anything, but it wouldn’t hurt if we could go on a few dates once in a while.”

Slowly closing the distance between us, I wrap my arm around her shoulders and let her lay her head on my shoulder, “Yookyung, I’ve watched over you whenever we were in the same room or area. It sounds weird, but I swear I’m not a stalker.” Yookyung laughs softly despite the tears rolling down her cheeks. “I’ve been your shadow for a while and I want to become more than that…I’d like to be your friend,” I request as she looks up at me.

She smiles lightly and purses her lips, “I think I’d like that, Jongin.”

Youngjae, if you love technology more than Yookyung, I love her more than you love her. I’ve always been behind the scenes, but from tomorrow onwards, I’ll be your enemy.

Who said shadows are only good? Shadows reflect both the good and bad out of people.