✏ thirty-five: Her Eyes [ Baekeun ]

✏ exopink one shots ♪

Title: Her Eyes 
Pairing: Byun Baekhyun & Son Naeun [ Baekeun ]
Written: April 21, 2013 | Happy two year anniversary to A-Pink and happy belated birthday to Luhan ^^
Words: 1,837
Requested by: laurenlovessiwon (I really don't know if you changed your username or not...I'm sorry ;~~~;) [ edit: Okay, I found it, but please read the author's note ;~; ]
Inspired by: Love in the Ice - TVXQ
Author's Note: Hey! Um, I think I have to add a new rule into the requests ;~; Because it's getting hard for me to find who's requesting the pairing, can you please make sure you let me know if you changed your username. I really want to remind the person who requested that their one shot is finished ;~; Anyways, I hope you guys will like this one shot ^^ It's a rare type of one shot I'm writing orz 

Oh! Who else is excited about Taemin and Naeun on WGM? ^^ I know I am! Taemin was my first ultimate bias and honestly, I'm fine with it ouo

Her eyes were like ice. They were shiny and glimmering with sadness and loneliness. She was perfect.

“Naeun,” I call out as we sit across from each other in the small café. Her hands start to roam on the smooth wooden table, her lips pursing in thought.  “Hold on,” She murmurs as her pinky hits her coffee cup. She smiles in relief and grabs the handle, picking it up gently to place against her lips. “Be careful, it’s hot,” I whisper as she takes a gentle sip.

She giggles quietly and places the cup back down softly, “I know, oppa. I have my other senses.” She her lips and tilts her head slightly, “So, what does this café look like?” I look around and hum softly, “Well, we’re sitting by the window and it’s a fairly wide one too. It gives off a warm aura and it’s a really busy day. There are paintings placed on the walls and they’re really nice.” She nods and smiles brightly, “I can tell. The noise of drinks being made and the small whispers from everyone are very strong today.”

This is how it always is. Do I get annoyed by it? No. Being with Naeun makes my eyes open wider to the world. I become more cautious whenever I’m around her because I want to protect her with my life. She’s changed me for the better.

“Ready to go?” I ask her as I stand up, her head tilting up due to my action. I push in my chair and place my hand on her shoulder gently to signal her. She nods and grabs my hand as she stands up slowly, patting her handbag to check if it’s there. “I’m ready,” She laces her fingers through mines and smiles brightly. Despite her handicap, she’s still able to smile towards the world and live each day with optimism.

Soon, we’re walking out in the bustling streets where adults in suits were walking past us quickly with their phones attached to their ears. I quickly pull Naeun beside me and instead place my arm around her shoulders. I glance at her and watch her eyes widen in shock, her cheeks turning a bright pink. I chuckle softly and start heading towards the park. It was where Naeun and I first met actually.

She was six years old and I was eight. She wasn’t blind at that time and she was able to see perfectly. We grew as best friends, but as years passed, Naeun got into an accident where it involved chemicals—causing her to turn blind. I can remember that day when I visited the hospital and she started panicking. I was twelve and she was ten.

“Baekhyun? Where am I? Why can’t I see?” She whispered in a fearful tone, her hands roamed around the bed frantically. She patted her cheeks and looked around with her eyes showing a glimmering clear surface on top. “Naeun,” I breathed as I took a step forward, but she soon started jumping around. “What’s going on?!” She screamed as her parents immediately ran inside, calming her down.

“Mommy, daddy!” She cried as thick tears rolled down her face. “Ssh, Naeun. Baekhyun wants to explain this,” Her mother whispered as they slowly walked away, closing the door behind as they walked outside.

“Please, tell me,” She took a deep breath and clutched her hands together in a fist. “Don’t freak out, okay?” I my lips and grabbed her hands, holding them as a tight as I could, “You were in a chemical accident.” I paused as she nodded slowly, looking straight ahead at the white wall. “Because there were chemicals…the chemicals went into your eyes. So now…you…can’t see,” I felt the lump in my throat as I swallowed hard, closing my eyes to fear the worst.

Sadly, she started crying more, removing her hands from mines and covering her face. “No, it can’t be,” She shook her head violently and brought her legs up to her chest, “You’re lying! This is all a dream and I’m going to wake up soon!” I clenched my jaw and brought both my arms around her shoulders, hugging her tightly, “Do you think I’d ever lie to you about this? Naeun, it’s the truth.” Her cries started to die down into small whimpers, her tears staining my shirt. “Listen to my voice, okay?” I announced as everything quieted down. “I will always be here for you. I will be by your side whenever I can, understand? I’m not letting you go through this alone without a best friend,” I pursed my lips and closed my eyes, “I’m going to help you.”

“It’s been long, huh?” Naeun whispers as she reacts to the gentle wind brushing against her. “Do you remember where we first met in this park?” I question as I gently unwrap my arm from her. She nods and takes her first step, her ears perking up as she walks towards a lone bench by the lamppost. A huge grin starts forming on my lips as she bends down slightly to run her hands over the smooth surface of the bench, “This is where we met.” I stride over towards her and assist her on sitting down and soon I was sitting beside her. Soon, her head is lying on top of my shoulder as I lay my head on top of hers. “I’m glad we met,” Naeun whispers as she purses her lips, taking a deep breath.

However, as days passed by, she started to act differently. The way she’s been acting has been startling me. I’ve been waking up to an empty space beside my bed and she’d be out roaming around. Knowing that she’s been using the cane lightens up the worry, but she’s never used it unless something has been bothering her.

Today, she’s been out for the whole period and night is already upon me. I walk back and forth in the living room, biting my nail in fear. I thought of everything unimaginable that could happen whether it being lost, kidnapped, robbed, anything. Just as I thought of the worst, the door swings open slowly. My eyes widen as I look at the figure, my feet immediately marching towards her, “Son Naeun, where have you been? Do you know how worried I was?”

I take a deep breath as she looks straight forward with a blank face on her face. She doesn’t reply as she closes the door behind her, using her cane to guide her towards the kitchen, “I was just walking.”

“For over twelve hours?” I beam as I trail behind her, watching her grab something out of the fridge. “Is it a problem?” She asks as her voice rises slightly. “Yes, you could have at least told me,” I reason as I watch her trying to reach back to grab the yogurt. My hand slowly starts to reach inside, but she gently taps my hand, “I got it.” I retract my hand back and blink, looking at her confusingly. She’s never rejected an offer of me helping and now, I’ve grown fully worried about it.

She sighs quietly and closes the fridge, walking towards our bedroom, “I’m going to bed…Night.” Staring at her, everything starts to jumble. She has never gone to bed this early and she’s never been this monotone before.

Later on in the evening, I slip into bed, snaking my arms around her waist. However, she stirred in her sleep and faced her back to me. What’s wrong, Naeunie? Did I do something wrong?

I decide to wake up early the next morning and I stood by the door, crossing my arms as I see her wake up. She immediately stands up and grabs her cane, walking towards the door. Little did she know, she walked into me and stumbled back slightly until she gained her balance back, “Baekhyun, what are you doing up?”

I shake my head and stare at her, “I should be asking you the same thing, Naeun. You’re seriously making me worried.” I take a step forward and watch her twitch slightly. “Please, let me help you—‘”

“Don’t!” She beams as she turns her head away, taking a deep breath, “That’s the problem! You’re helping me—too much.” She soon hangs her head down and grips her cane strongly, “Ever since we went to the park, I’ve been noticing how long you’ve been there for me. I’ve never helped you and now, I noticed how much of a burden I am to you. Ever since I’ve been shunned with this, you’ve only kept your attention on me and it hurts me at how much of a burden I am. I wanted to live regularly—for us to be together—regularly. I wanted to wake up next to you to see your face and see how much I can love life again. Baekhyun, just think about it, I’ve never done anything to—‘”

I immediately wrap my arms around her shoulders and close my eyes, shaking my head, “You’re talking nonsense. You’re never a burden to me. I made this promise and I’m keeping it. You’ve helped me so much; it’s just that you don’t notice it.” I pull away slightly and bring a hand up to wipe away those tears that were descending down her soft cheeks. “I learned a lot about life and my surroundings. If you think you’re a burden to me, you are definitely wrong. You’re everything to me, Naeun. Believe me.”

She her lips and nods slowly, “I’m sorry. It’s just that…those have been the thoughts that have been roaming around my mind these past days. I’ve been thinking on what your life would be like if we didn’t meet or if I wasn’t blind. You’d be much happier.”

Soon, both of my hands are cupping her cheeks and I lean my face towards her, “Don’t ever think that. Never.” I pause and take a deep breath, “My life is already at its happiest stage and it’s with you.” Gradually, my face leans in closer, capturing her lips gently. After a moment, she returns the kiss and soon both of her hands wrap around my neck. 

The kiss holds for a few more moments until she pulls away, her eyes innocently looking up at mines. My hands release from her face as they wrap around her waist, looking back at her. Both of her hands rest on my cheeks, tracing the outline of my face and features. “Thank you, Baekhyun,” She smiles lightly and soon traces the shape of my eyes, “I love you.”

“I love you too, Naeun. Just know that even if we didn’t meet, that fate would bring us together somehow. Even if you aren’t blind, we’d still end up together. I think this is a positive light as you’re a person who won’t care about a person’s flaws and instead, sense their aura and their traits as a good person.”