Bittersweet

Wishing Upon A Flower

One Day by Boyfriend


Chapter 39 – Bittersweet

Hyomi’s POV

The bell rang for lunch and I excitedly got my things in my bag. I don’t know why I’m feeling that way. Suddenly, there were screams outside my classroom. I flinched. They were too loud. I heard Ah Neul chuckle.

“I guess someone’s going to pick up someone today,” she said.

“What?” I asked when suddenly, I heard my name being called by a very familiar voice. I turned and I almost fell from my chair.

“S-Sehun?” I stuttered.

“Where did the oppa go?” He frowned and I flushed pink.

“S-Sehun o-oppa,” I whispered. I then found Ah Neul already sneaking away. “Yah! Ah Neul!” I shouted but she just grinned and gave me thumbs up before disappearing through the crowd. I gulped. I don’t know why I suddenly felt nervous or because I’ve always been nervous around him? I turned to him and he was pouting. The same pout years ago.

“Aren’t you happy to see me? I shouldn’t have went back then,” he said which made my eyes widen. I frantically shook my head.

“No, it’s not that. I’m just surprised. You didn’t tell me anything,” I said which is true. Who wouldn’t be surprised when you just show in front of someone you haven’t seen in a while? He smiled.

“Well, I guess that’s reasonable,” he smiled making my heart race.

“Y-Yeah,” I said. Sehun looked back through the crowd outside the classroom before turning to me.

“Let’s go somewhere, should we?” he said and I blinked. I don’t know why my brain’s processing so slow. Beofre I knew it, he grabbed my hand and pulled me out of the classroom and out the crowd. I could feel the same stares back then and felt shivers run down my spine. I just hope the queenkas won’t see this. It’s better that they just hear it from others than for them to see it.

As soon as we got from the crowd, he led me up to the rooftop. He looked back once more before closing the door and sighing. I stood there, not knowing what to do. He turned to me and before I knew it, he already hugged me. I was taken aback but I also hugged him back. His smell was the same scent he wore every time we meet. The hug also felt good since it has been long time ago since I received it. When we both let go, he rubbed the back of his neck.

“Sorry. I just got a little excited to see you,” he said and smiled. I bit back my smile and nodded.

“It’s ok. Maybe it’s why I’m excited the whole day,” I said.

“What do you mean?” He asked and I knew he was just trying to let me say it. I stuck my tongue out.

“I know you know what I meant,” I said and he chuckled.

“You still know me too well, huh?” He said and I nodded.

“Of course. How could I?” I said. I wanted to say I missed him but I don’t know how and why it was so hard.

“Well, I missed you,” he smiled. Sometimes his straight forward side makes me tense. I’m thinking of how I would be able to say the same words to him. Like what I said, I don’t know how I would say it. I just looked down. Suddenly, I felt him cup my cheeks and let me face him. “Yah, why are you like this?” He said pouting. I felt my cheeks turn warm and for sure, I’m already red like a tomato. I moved away.

“S-Sorry.” I said. I heard him sigh.

“Are you mad?” He asked.

“W-What? Of course not,” I said. He looked away while I kept my gaze fixed somewhere else.

“Then why are you like that?” He asked.

“I don’t know. Sorry,” I said. I felt bad for being like that in front of him when all he did was to let me feel how he missed me.

“I guess you’re still surprised?” He said and I looked at him. He stared right to my eyes. For the first time after a long time, we stared at each other’s eyes. “Or is it because of it?” He said in a slow manner. At last he remembered. I didn’t reply. “Are you mad about it?” He asked.

“I-It’s not like that. I—“ I was out of words.

“I know you and Baekhyun hyung are acting like lovers but,” he said. My heart went so fast, something I don’t know how to handle. “I’m just saying that we could still be the same right?” He said sighing. I don’t know but my heart fell.

“O-Of course. It’s ok. We might be lovers in others eyes but I don’t treat others differently just because of it,” I said and forced on a smile. He smiled.

“That’s great then,” he said. I nodded. “Do you want to go down to the cafeteria?” He asked. I thought for a while before nodding. It’s because I don’t know until when I could handle my fast heart beat whenever I’m around him. We then went back to the cafeteria and separated since I joined Ah Neul.

Whoah, I never felt that way recently, or did I?

Daehyun’s POV

I lazily lied down Youngjae’s couch. He’s living alone like almost of them were. I’m the only one living with my mom, actually. I couldn’t go home because my mom might get worried when she sees me like this, hurt, scarred. I’ve been a long time ago so it wasn’t something it bothered me. The staggering pain on my back though was preventing me from doing stuffs. Other than that, I’m doing well. Bored, I kept switching channels. I’ve been doing this for the past few minutes since nothing seemed to entertain me. My train of thoughts rather kept me accompanied though it was making me so frustrated.

It’s a Tuesday, just a day after we got back to Seoul. I already felt the freedom we haven’t had for the past years. It feels good, honestly. It’s just that I don’t know why I was strongly opposing the idea of not removing my mask. I’m still looking for the reasons that seemed to be running away from me to get me anxious. Ohmy. What am I thinking? When did reasons start running?

“Aish,” I messed my hair as I sat up, carelessly, forgetting my back pain. I flinched and uttered some words under my breath. “This is not helping,” I got up and made way to the other room that I slept for the night. I changed to a printed shirt and wore a jacket with a hood over it. I matched it with fitted jeans. Ready, I grabbed my necessities when I go out and walked out the condominium, making sure to lock it.

The coldness of December is getting me ticked off. It was so freezing cold. I stuck my hands inside my jacket’s pockets as I walked around the streets to the bus stop. I’m not wearing any mask though I wore a cap. When I reached the bus stop, I got in the bus that came fast after I came. I need to get my mind off of her. Yes, her. She’s what I’ve been thinking; my train of thoughts is about her. I sat at the first vacant seat that is only for one person that I saw and settled down.

I’m starting to hate myself for thinking of her. As much as I try, I just couldn’t get her out of my system. It just gets me frustrated when I try. This strange feeling I’m having is something I’m sure I haven’t felt before. That is why I’m not sure what it is. All I know is that it didn’t feel good in a way but it also felt good somehow. Ok. It’s confusing right? It’s because I’m confused myself.

Since she entered my life, everything seemed to make turns for the better or for not, it didn’t matter since I don’t know the answer. Like I said before we engaged in a fight in Gwangju, her mere presence makes me happy. I don’t know what kind of happiness it is. I love teasing her, I love bickering with her, and everything I do with her though I never, never once, did I show it. I’m already so confused with my feelings and I don’t know until when I’ll be like this.

I reached my stop soon after. There wasn’t any traffic jam happening so I was able to get to Hongdae fast. It’s usually where I go when I’m bored or when I need some space to think some things and to get things out of my head for once.

It was starting to get crowded since it’s already time for students to go home. I’m also sure that Youngjae will be home any minute from now. The noise the place had could be irritating but it could also make you get your thoughts wander off somewhere else, something you could care less about. Walking around, I found some shops and stalls. I walked to a stall and bought some ddukbboki before continuing my strolling time. As I walked though, something caught my attention.

At one shop, I saw a very cute hoodie. I walked in and went straight to hoodie I found. I got it out from the rack and checked it. The first person that appeared in my mind when I saw it was no other than Hyomi. I knew she loved hoodies. She wore hoodies almost every time I see her. It’s gray and has something printed on it. I don’t know what it is but that little thing is wearing headphones. Something like her. You would often see her with headphones hanging on her neck if it’s not on her ears.

Smiling, I got two of it then went to pay for it. I don’t know what got into me that I decided to buy it for her. A sorry gift, most likely. Christmas is also getting near so I guess it’s just in time for me to buy a gift for her though I know it’ll be surprising when I give her a gift. After paying and getting the paper bag, I left the store. I looked in the paper bag and smiled. I feel like an idiot smiling but I just can’t help it.

When I looked up, something more interesting caught my attention. I found Jongup standing by a restaurant. He was wearing a stripe gray cardigan and a button-up shirt beneath paired with a pair of jeans. Judging by the looks, he seemed to be dressed today. I mean, something different from his normal. He was still wearing his mask though which is kind of odd. I was about to approach him and ask when someone approached him, tapping him on the shoulder.

My eyebrows furrowed and even with one look, I’m sure it was Hyomi but why? My eyes also squinted with the sight of a guy who looked so familiar to me. He was following Hyomi behind and stood behind her. Hyomi greeted him with a smile which Jongup returned but it was obvious that he didn’t like the presence of the other boy. I got closer to them so I could somehow hear what they were saying.

“So, you’re wearing something out of your usual, huh?” Hyomi chuckled.

“Yeah, quite,” Jongup rubbed the back of his neck. Hyomi then frowned.

“You should remove your mask. You promised, right? Also, I’m sure it’ll fit you more,” Hyomi said nodding to his mask. “Should I remove it for you?” Hyomi asked and was about to reach out when Jongup held her hand, stopping her. I noticed how Hyomi got so startled and how Jongup stiffened. The other guy also looked like he didn’t like it. They both moved away. “Sorry,” Hyomi said.

I don’t know but I got jealous with the sudden contact of them but I’m pretty sure the guy, that I only realized that was Sehun—Did I just say Sehun?! He’s back?!

Jongup’s POV

I don’t know why I dressed like this. It’s not my usual style though I always make sure I look good in front of Hyomi. I’ve decided. I’ve been thinking of it for too long. I’m ready to show her what I look like. I can’t wait also what her reaction would be. I placed extra concealer and bb cream just to keep my bruises. I came thirty minutes early to our meeting place. I had my hands inside my jeans’ pockets when someone tapped my shoulder. My mood lightened up immediately but it quickly faded when I saw the guy behind her. Am I seeing right or he’s back? I’m sure my plan is already ruined.

Hyomi greeted me and smiled so I returned the same though I couldn’t ignore the fact that Sehun is with her. He was also smiling. Both of them were wearing school uniform so I’m sure that they just came from school and I’m also sure Sehun’s back for real.

“So you’re wearing something out of your usual, huh?” Hyomi said.

“Yeah, quite,” I said as I rubbed the back of my neck. I’m being extra careful since Sehun is there. She suddenly frowned and I knew why.

“You should remove your mask. You promised, right? I’m also sure it’ll fit you more,” she said. I gulped. “Should I remove it for you, then?” Hyomi asked and reached for my mask but I quickly stopped her, holding her hand. I was surprised with what I did so I quickly let go of her. “Sorry,” she said.

“Sorry also,” I said. It was getting awkward which is unlikely for us.

“Ah, right. I came with my best friend. I hope you don’t mind. You know each other, I suppose?” Hyomi said obviously trying to end the awkward atmosphere.

“Yeah. Glad he isn’t mad at me already since, you know, he’s away and everything, so he may not know,” I said and Hyomi smiled.

“I’ve already told him so yeah,” Hyomi said.

“Long time no see,” Sehun said and I nodded.

“Yeah, same to you,” I said. I’m trying to keep my bitterness from them. It was hard but I tried my best. Hyomi smiled.

“So, were you going to say something?” Hyomi asked.

“I just, uhm, thought of treating you out since I owe you something and you know it, right?” I said trying to avoid mentioning about what happened a few days ago.

“Oh, I see. But I already told it’s ok,” Hyomi said.

“I know but I want to make it up to you at least since I couldn’t keep my promise of you know what,” I said. Hyomi sighed.

“Alright. But is it ok that Sehun oppa’s coming with us?” The mention of oppa made my heart ache. I didn’t know they were that close. I mean, they’re best friends but it doesn’t mean you have to call him oppa right? Unless if he said for her to call him that.

“Yeah, it’s ok. We’re just going to eat out anyway,” I said though I wanted to say otherwise. Hyomi smiled.

“Thanks,” she said.

“Let’s go,” I said and lead the way inside the restaurant, my hands clenching inside my pockets.


How's this chapter?! I enjoyed typing this so I hope you enjoyed reading it. :)

I'll update as much as I could during weekends since I'm not certain if I could update during weekdays because of school. I hope you understand. Thank you!

Hi new readers and old readers!

:)