Friends In Common

Wishing Upon A Flower

Let's Walk Together by TOUCH

 


 

Chapter 27 – Friends In Common

Hyomi’s POV

My phone suddenly alarmed, waking me up. I took it and stopped it before it wakes up Ah Neul. Luckily, she just squirmed on the bed. I looked at the time and found that it was seven in the morning. I decided to get off the bed. I tied my hair to a messy bun before going to the bathroom. I squint when the lights of the bathroom went on. I closed the door and started washing my face and brushing my teeth. After, I dried myself and went out. Since I couldn’t go back to sleep, I’ll take this time to have some time alone and visit the places I’m yearning to visit.

I went in my walk-in closet and then changed to a pair of jeans and a hoodie. I got a beanie and wore it over my head since I haven’t taken a bath and it's quite messy even if I’ve combed it. I turned the lights off and grabbed my wallet in case I need money, my cellphone and iPod. I plugged the earphones in my ears and turned my iPod on shuffle. I then left my room closing the door quietly and walked down and out the house.

When I got down, the lights were still off so I assume they’re still sleeping. I then opened the door and closed it after stepping out. The neighborhood was indeed peaceful. I smiled as I smelled the morning breeze as it blew on me. It was still the same like some months ago. I walked out the gates and then looked at my left and right. When I got to the right, it’s going to my school, when I go to the left, it’s going to the park I go with my friends. Where to go?

School.

Right. I hope it’s open. It’s a Sunday so it’s most likely closed. But it won’t hurt trying.

I started humming to the song that’s playing—What I’d Do When I Have A Lover. It’s one of my favorite songs since it’s been sang by Yoseob for a remake and he’s one of my biases in BEAST. I walked greeting the people I happen to cross path with. After a while of walking, a figure walking ahead of me caught my attention. I furrowed my eyebrows.

“Mr. Arrogant?” Ok. That wasn’t the right move. The guy spun around and I was right. It’s Mr. Arrogant, I mean, Daehyun. His eyes widened upon seeing me. “It’s you,” I whispered.

“What are you doing here? Are you following me?” He said making my eyes wide.

“What? No!” I said. He then turned around and continued walking. I scoffed. “What’s with this guy.”

I continued walking too and as we walk further, I’m already starting to wonder where he’s going since we’re going the same way. I walked a meter away from him and after a while of walking, he stopped. I just didn’t mind him because he might think I’m really following him but he called my attention, making me stop just before I could get any far from him.

“What?” I asked looking back at him.

“Are you sure you’re not following me?” He said and I rolled my eyes.

“No Mr. Arrogant. There’s no reason for me to follow you.” I said turning and walked away. He has some guts to say that. Does he think he’s all great that I’m going to follow him to wherever he goes? No thanks. I'm not one of his fans to stalk him. I didn’t hear him talk back anymore but I could feel his presence near me. I don’t want to look like him who has the guts to tell that I’m following him so I just continued walking until finally, I reached my school. I couldn’t measure my happiness when I saw the gates to our school open. I ran towards the gates and surprisingly, the guard still remembers me.

“Hyomi-ah!” He said standing up from his chair by the guardhouse.

“Ahjussi! Long time no see!” I said brightly.

“You’ve grown taller. Where have you been?” He asked and it made me chuckle.

Daehyun’s POV

I don’t know where this girl is going but I’m sure that we’re going to the same way. I gulped with the thought but quickly shrug it off. That’s impossible. I continued walking though she was already walking ahead of me. It was until she stopped in front of the school that it hit me. She also studied there. But I don’t remember her. Ok. What kind of game is this?

I saw her ran to the gates and was called by the guard. I was surprised when the guard knows her. I’m not sure she went to this school, to the school I went years ago. I watched her talk to the guard comfortably as if they were friends though she doesn’t drop the formalities. I stood a little far from her still processing everything until she turned to my direction. I looked at her but she just smirked and turned around going in. What the?

I then made my way to the gates after she had walked in. I bowed to the guard and he inspected me for a while. He wouldn’t recognize me of course. I’m wearing a mask. And yes, he's still the guard back then and I'm surprise too that he's still working here.

“Ahjussi, it’s me, Daehyun.” I said putting my mask down.

“Daehyun? The Jung Daehyun?” He said and I nodded smiling. Now, my mask is down and I felt myself, not the Daehyun my school know but the Daehyun this school know. “Daehyun, it’s really you! Why are you wearing a mask? I thought you were some gangster guy.” He said making me slightly smile.

“Some matters.” I said and he nodded.

“I understand. Are you with Hyomi?” He said making my nose scrunch.

“What? No.” I said.

“Then you know her?” He said and I reluctantly nodded. “Uhm, ok then. You’re also here to visit? You two are lucky the school’s open today since there’s an upcoming competition and the varsities needed the campus.” He said and I nodded smiling.

“Thank you. I’ll be going now.” I said bowing and he nodded. I walked in and felt memories rush into me. Different emotions also went into me that I don’t know whether I should smile, laugh, mad, or stay emotionless but I chose the last. Emotionless.

I walked in the school building and nothing much had changed. The color of the walls was the same but it was obviously newly painted. Some of the things were also replaced with new identical ones. I walked in with my hands in my pockets. I had pulled my mask up again in case there’s someone lingering. I looked in the classrooms and found that it was more modernized than before. The TVs were all new. It’s already big flat screen tvs.

When I went past my old classroom, I hoped that the door is open so I tried opening it and it flung open. I smiled as I went in. I walked to where I once sat and sat on the chair. I felt as if I’m back to the day when I’m still a student here. I’m known to be the playful, dorky student. Not boasting but I’m also labeled as one of the best looking guys. I then inspected the table and smiled when I found what I’ve writted on it years back. I wasn’t expecting it thinking the seats might've been shuffled but I’m happy it’s still there.

‘Property of Daehyun’

I laughed as I read it. I stopped when I felt someone went in. I looked up and found a guy who’s a lot younger than me. Well what do you expect. This is your first grade classroom and of course those who would enter it would be first grade students. I immediately stood up and left the room leaving the boy clueless. I just walked away and looked around. I went up to the second floor where my second grade classroom is. Like what I did at the first floor, I looked in the classrooms and entered my old classroom. I checked my table again for the writings I left.

‘Proper of Daehyun’ and a drawing of a poop beside it. Ok. It’s not me who drew that poop. It’s my bestfriend years ago, Dong Geun but he left a year before we went to third grade to who knows where. After he left, I haven’t heard of him already. I laughed at the memories. I stood up and left the room going around the campus more. I checked all the things I remember I wrote on my desks which was surprisingly on the same place years ago which is a little creepy but  it makes me laugh as all of it has a ‘Property of Daehyun’. How childish of me. 

I visited the last classroom I am in before I left for Seoul with omma. I felt tears flowing out my eyes but I held it in. I went in the room. It was my fourth grade room. I looked around it. The marks I’ve made with my buddies in making troubles was still there. At least some of it. I walked to my seat and checked what I’ve written on it. Of course it has my name but there’s another thing written on it and I’m sure it wasn’t there when I left. I squint my eyes at it.

‘Hyomi <3 Sehun’

Wait. Hyomi? As in Yoo Hyomi? Wait. And this Sehun. Don’t tell me it’s Oh Sehun? That’s not impossible but there’s so many Hyomi and Sehun in the school and there’s only point-one percent that’s it the dimwit. I just shrug the thought away and stood up. I took one last glance around the room before leaving.

I walked to the open field and heard a familiar voice laughing as I got near the place. It was Hyomi. I peeked behind the wall and found her talking with guys and a girl. They seem to have so much fun. Suddenly, a guy put his arm around Hyomi’s shoulder making me flinch. I was about to walk towards them when Hyomi pushed him away. The guy rubbed the back of his neck.

“Time flies and people change.” I heard her say. The guys and the girl laughed. Minutes later, I didn’t expect that they noticed me. I tried leaving but someone already called me.

“Hey!” The voice shouted. I turned around and found them all looking at me, including her. I pointed to myself as if I don’t know they were pertaining to me. I noticed Hyomi snicker and I rolled my eyes. A guy approached me so I also walked towards them. “Are you looking for someone?” He said. I peered over his shoulder but Hyomi’s already busy talking with the other guys.

“Ah, no. I’m just visiting.” I said and he nodded.

“Then you were an old student? What’s your name?” He asked.

“Ah, Daehyun.” I said. He smiled reaching his hand out.

“I’m Ilhoon.” He said. I took his hand and shook it. “Come with me. You might know some of the guys there. When have you last studied here?” He asked.

“Almost a decade ago.” I replied and he smiled.

“Then you might know some of them. Many of us were here in those days.” He said. I weren’t feeling so comfortable but I could see how welcoming and good he is and I also want to meet Hyomi’s friends back here and don’t ask me why because I don’t know why neither. We approached them and I was thinking whether to take my mask off or not.

As soon as we reached them, Hyomi turned to me and mouthed, ‘What are you doing here?’ but I just ignored her smirking behind my mask. The girl was looking at me while the guys were like inspecting me. I slightly bowed.

“Guys, he’s an old student and went for a visit. Hyungs, you might know him.” Ilhoon said. “His name is Dae, uhm, Dae,”

“Daehyun.” I said and he nodded smiling.

“Ah, yes, that’s his name.” Ilhoon said.

“Daehyun?” One guy said making me turn to him and my eyes furrowed to him.

“Dong Geun?” I said and his smile widened.

“It’s you! Buddy!” He said giving me a hug. I was forced to take a step back but it felt so nice. Meeting my best friend after how many years, it felt the best.

“You know each other?” I heard Hyomi say and we moved away, looking at her.

“Yup. He’s apparently my best friend during first to second grade.” He said and I just nodded.

“Wait. Let me think of it.” One guy said.

“You’re the guy who sings right?” Another guy said and I almost curse under my breath since Hyomi heard it. I’m actually hiding it from everyone. Only a few knows besides my friends, BAP and old schoolmates.

“You sing? Really?” Hyomi said and started laughing.

“Wait, you know each other?” A guy said and Hyomi stopped laughing nodding.

“He’s my schoolmate, unfortunately. Ooops.” She said making me glare at her.

“That’s great then! By the way, I’m Changseob.” A chubby guy said. His name was familiar but I’m not sure where I heard it. I think he’s, “I’m your singing competitor.” He said as if reading my mind.

“Ah,” I said and he laughed.

“This guy is Hyunsik. I bet you remember him. You once fought, right?” He said. I blinked for a few times at the guy until I remembered him. It brought a smile to my face.

“It’s a long time ago, Seob. It’s forgotten, right, Daehyun?” Hyunsik said and I nodded, slightly making my eyes smile.

“I’m Eunkwang. I’m the one who usually plays the piano during festivals, if you remember.” He said rubbing the back of his neck.

“Ah, yes, I remember. You’re really great.” I said and he smiled.

“Thanks.” He said.

“I’m Minhyuk. I’m the same grade as Eunkwang. I’m not sure if you remember since I’m not that popular.” He said smiling. I’m sure he’s the one who put an arm around Hyomi’s shoulder. For some reason I got my guards up but he seems so nice and familiar at the same time so I calmed a bit. I don't even have to be protective. What's wrong with me today?

“Lee Minhyuk, right?” I said and he nodded. Wow. My memory is still clear.

“You remember?” He said, eyes glistening. I nodded.

“You’re in a band back then, if I'm not mistaken?” I said. He nodded smiling.

“You have a sharp memory buddy.” Dong Geun said putting an arm around my shoulder. “But may I ask something?” He asked and I nodded.

“Sure. What is it?” I asked and I heard Hyomi said, “Wow. He’s different in front of them.” It made me feel uncomfortable then. This is not me, at least to her, I’m not the Daehyun she knows.

“Why are you wearing that mask? You look creepy. Remove it.” He said.

“B-Bwoh?” I said but it was too late, he has pulled my mask down. I cursed under my breath. Pulling it back would make me look as if I did something and I didn’t want my face to be seen so I just looked down allowing my hair so fall down to cover almost half of my face. Yes, my hair is that long. I don’t know what’s Hyomi’s reaction but I’m curious though I’m sure she’s just going to tease me.

“Daehyun! Now I remember you! The ulzzang back in first grade!” A girl said making me turn to her. “I’m Yoonji. I was your admirer back then.” Yoonji said blushing.

“Ah. R-Really? Thank you.” I said. I heard the guys laugh but Hyomi, she was quiet and I’m curious why.

“When did you turn to a shy boy, Daehyun? As what I know, you’re the trouble maker, the playful, dorky student of all times but every girl falls for you even though because they say it’s your charm.” Dong Geun said scoffing. "I don't even know why though I'm sure I'm more handsome than you back then." He said making the guys laugh. I felt my cheeks heat up. I’m sure I’m going to receive so much teasing from Hyomi later.

“Are you sure, Peniel oppa?” Hyomi said giggling. Now she spoke and as expected from an enemy, she’s mocking me. I glared at her.

“Yup. He’s my best friend so I know him too well. Why? He changed already?” He said and Hyomi looked at me. I was trying to say to her through my eyes not to say anything or else she’s going to get it but she just smiled, grinning.

“Well,” she begun and I furrowed my eyebrows at her.

“Dare to talk one more and you’ll not like it.” I whispered to myself.

“He’s still an ulzzang in school. He’s quiet in everyone’s eyes but I don’t think so. People in school perceive him differently.” She said smirking. Great, how great.

“Whoah, why a sudden change?” Hyunsik said spinning the soccer ball on his finger.

“I—“ I was out of words. I don’t know what so say and for that reason, I want to trudge out but of course I wouldn’t. They looked at me with curiousness so I gulped and forced on a smile. “Well, people change, right?” I said and fortunately, they agreed.

“But that was sure a three-hundred and sixty degree change. You’re even wearing a mask. You wear that in school too?” Dong Geun asked and I reluctantly nodded.

“Why? You’re such a good looking guy for you to cover your face.” Yoojin said with a frown.

“It’s just that, I, uhm. It’s a long story.” I said. From the corner of my eyes, I could see Hyomi staring at me and I just can’t help but turn to her and she was startled as she looked away. I felt my heart beat go crazy. No. What is this feeling?

Hyomi’s POV

I’m staring at him as if he’s the most amusing thing in the world and I don’t even know why. His face, I admit, it’s perfect; almost perfect, I mean. He’s handsome, I’ll not deny that but why does he hide it behind a white mask? It puzzles me so much. I blinked as I was startled when he turned to me. I gulped. Stop looking at me please. It feels uncomfortable. I looked away.

“Aigoo. Fine, we won’t force you to tell us but I tell you, I missed you buddy.” Peniel oppa said and a smile spread through his face and I tell you, it was mesmerizing. Sht. What am I saying?

“So if you two know each other, then did you come here together by any chance?” Minhyuk oppa asked and I looked at him unable to utter anything.

“Y-Yeah, I guess so.” Mr. Arrogant said.

“Yeah. I brought them here with my other friends for a vacation.” I said smiling.

“Oh. Is something going on between the two of you?” Minhyuk oppa asked looking at us intently.

“What?! NO! Of course not! We’re not even—Nothing.” I said biting my lower lip.

“That’s impossible. We don’t click and she has a boyfriend so it’s far from reality.” Daehyun said and my eyes widened.

“BWOH?!”

“You have a boyfriend?!”

“Why didn’t you tell us?!”

“Who is this guy?! We should meet him!”

“We can’t just give you to anyone!”

“What’s his name? Profession?!” I was bombarded with questions that I don’t know how to answer. I couldn’t tell them, not in front of Daehyun. I’m still not sure if it’s ok with Baekhyun oppa and my other EXO oppas so I can’t say anything.

“He’s a senior in our school. Uhm, he’s nice! Don’t worry!” I tried to assure them but knowing them, they wouldn’t believe me, especially two people, Eunkwang and Minhyuk oppa. They’re like my older brothers here in school and Minhyuk oppa, well, he’s my crush until I left the school and he knows it, apparently.

“We want to meet him. Can you give him a call?” Eunkwang oppa said putting his palm out.

“B-Bwoh?” I said agape. I turned to Daehyun and I could obviously see a smirk on his face. This guy! I even helped him a while ago! He should be thankful I didn’t tell anything more than what I know of him.

“I can’t let my baby girl to be with any other guy besides me unless I know him.” Minhyuk oppa said making my eyes wide open.

“Yah, hyungs, you’re like a father telling his daughter who she should marry.” Ilhoon said, rescuing me. I smiled.

“We’re just worried she might end up with the wrong guy.” Minhyuk oppa said when suddenly, he turned his gaze to Daehyun. “It would be ok if it’s Daehyun.” He said making my eyes grow wider. I don’t even know what I look like with my eyes growing wider. My face’s also turning warm and I’m praying silently that it’s not obvious.

“That’s impossible, Hyuk oppa. You know, we don’t, uhm, we’re not well off with each other. Yeah, that’s it. Besides, I’m happy with my boyfriend and I promise, he’s a nice guy!” I said hoping they would buy it and luckily, they just sighed. I was able to breathe normally after. I swear, I’ll never lose to this guy and win our bet so that I could make him my slave and let him do funny stuff. Just wait Mr. Arrogant.

“What do you mean you’re not well off with each other? You two fights?” Peniel oppa said with disappointment in his voice and I felt a little guilt.

“S-Something like that.” I said.

“You two should get along! I want two of my bestfriends to be friends also.” Peniel oppa said smiling. I peeked at Daehyun’s face and found him blushing? Am I seeing right? He’s like a tomato!

“W-We’ll try.” Daehyun said, genuinely smiling. I just nodded so that Peniel oppa wouldn’t feel upset anymore. He just smiled.

“So, Daehyun, since you two are schoolmates and Hyomi said something about you, why don’t you tell something about her? Like how she does in school,” Hyunsik oppa said and I was unconsciously shaking my head. No. Please. That boyfriend thing is enough. Please. Daehyun looked at me but I can’t read his face.

“She’s fine.” He said making me breathe normally since I held my breath before he answered. “But,” Sht. There goes the ‘but’ word. Lord, save me.


UPDATED! How's this chapter? I little crappy? Sorry. I tried to make it interesting though. What do you think will Daehyun say? :) 

I need to cut it in half since it'll be a little long if ever I won't. :)

I'll update again tomorrow. Thank you!