099

VIXX 300 Theme Challenge Vol. 2

Title: Human

Pairing: Chasang, Rahyuk

Word Count: 1357

 

Hakyeon knew that he should stay away from Sanghyuk. Sanghyuk was a human while he was an angel. A fallen angel, but still an angel. He still had most of the benefits that angels enjoyed; fast healing, healing powers, super strength and speed. And the most important of these gifts was the reason why he needed to stay away from Sanghyuk; a long, long, life span. Hakyeon would stay alive much longer than Sanghyuk.

And yet he couldn’t make himself stay away.

The pair had met thanks to Jaehwan and Taekwoon. Jaehwan was a fae who’d ended up dating Sanghyuk’s older brother Taekwoon. Jaehwan had wanted his best friends, Hakyeon and Hongbin, to meet the love of his life and Taekwoon had wanted his brother to be friendly with his partner. Naturally, this meant that Hakyeon and Sanghyuk ended up running into each other rather often. At first it was because of Jaehwan and Taekwoon forcing them, but then……then Hakyeon started to want to see Sanghyuk.

The young human was just so interesting to him that he had to see him again and again. Hakyeon hated to admit it, but he’d tried to keep his distance from humans since he fell. They reminded him of things he didn’t want to think about. But Sanghyuk……something about him made Hakyeon want to be around him, made him forget about the old days and focus on the future. There was only one problem with this.

Sanghyuk had a boyfriend.

Wonsik was……nice. Honestly, he was a total sweetheart and Hakyeon could see why Sanghyuk would fall for him. He made Sanghyuk smile and laugh, he brought out the best in the slightly younger human. Everyone seemed to like them being together, too. Taekwoon had once admitted to Jaehwan and Hakyeon that Wonsik was the first boyfriend of Sanghyuk’s that he actually liked. Hakyeon had smiled at the time, but inside he’d been so……so……..he didn’t know. It hurt, knowing that his love was with someone else and that they were perfect together, and yet…….so long as Sanghyuk was happy……

So Hakyeon promised to watch over Sanghyuk though out his life. It hurt, especially when Sanghyuk and Wonsik got engaged, but so long as his love was happy he would be happy as well. He was very good at playing the role of a good friend. Even though it hurt to be part of the wedding party, he smiled and no one knew that he was hurting. Even though it killed him to see Sanghyuk starting a life with someone else, no one knew that was how he felt.

And then……then Wonsik died.

It was a car crash. Someone ran a red light. The doctor said that he was probably dead within moments. Hakyeon remembered holding onto Sanghyuk as he sobbed, as he asked the fallen angel what he was going to do now. Their second child was only a few months old. How could he raise their two sons without Wonsik? How could he go on with his life without one of the three most important people in that life? Hakyeon didn’t have an answer, so he just held Sanghyuk until he fell asleep.

After that, Hakyeon tried his best to be around to help Sanghyuk. Taekwoon, Jaehwan, and Hongbin tried as well, but they spent so much of their time in the Faerie Kingdom and didn’t often get to visit the human world. Time moved differently between the two realms as well, making it even harder for them to come see Sanghyuk, little Woojin, and baby Seungmin. This left Hakyeon as the only one trying to help Sanghyuk most of the time.

At first, Sanghyuk didn’t want help. He was determined to do it alone, said that it was something he had to do. But he couldn’t. After several months of trying to do everything alone, Sanghyuk broke down. Hakyeon remembered holding Sanghyuk, insisting that it would all be ok and that he’d help him every step of the way. He’d become a permanent part of the Kim household after that. Whenever Sanghyuk needed help, he was there.

Eventually, Sanghyuk fell for him. One of the best days of Hakyeon’s life was when Sanghyuk told him how he felt, when he finally got to kiss the one he’d loved for years. After that, they had started dating. Seungmin was only two at the time so he didn’t really understand, but Woojin was three years older and kind of did. He asked why they were dating, weren’t they already together. Sanghyuk had laughed at that, but Hakyeon noticed the sad look in his eyes. He knew why that was; Sanghyuk was worried that his boys wouldn’t recognize Wonsik as their father.

Hakyeon made sure that didn’t happen though. He always made sure to tell Woojin and Seungmin about their real father. He felt…..he felt like he owned it to Wonsik, like he’d taken Wonsik’s place or something. Sanghyuk insisted that that wasn’t the case, but Hakyeon couldn’t help but feel like that. Especially when one of the boys called him dad or when they drew a picture of their family that had him labeled as ‘father’ and no Wonsik in sight. The feeling got better as time when on, lessened with every passing year, but it never really went away.

It was Seungmin’s thirteenth birthday when Hakyeon remembered what he was. He woke up to see Sanghyuk still sleeping beside him in their bed and smiled. Moments later Seungmin charged in, excited for his birthday party, with Woojin following closely behind, smiling softly as he watched his brother. Looking at his family, Hakyeon realized how much they had grown and changed over the years. Seungmin was about to become a teenager. Woojin was sixteen and had fallen in love with one of Seungmin’s friends. And Sanghyuk? He had recently turned forty three, he could see the gray hair that Sanghyuk insisted wasn’t there.

Hakyeon kept a smile on his face, but on the inside he was crying. He realized that he still looked young, that he would remain like that for many more years to come. He was going to still be alive for many, many more years while his family grew old and died. He had another forty, maybe fifty, years with Sanghyuk before he would die. He would see Woojin and Seungmin grow up and get married and start families of their own before they died in their eighties or nineties.

Later that day, Hakyeon watched as Seungmin ran around laughing with his friends – Hyunjin, Jisung, Felix, and Jeongin – while Woojin watched from the sidelines with his own friends – Chan, Minho, and Changbin. He watched as Woojin’s friends would point at Felix and say something that would make Woojin blush brightly. Seungmin and his friends seemed to be ignorant to all this, but Hakyeon noticed Felix glancing in Woojin’s direction a couple of times. He looked around to find Sanghyuk talking to some of the other parents. Their eyes met and Sanghyuk smiled at him lovingly before returning his attention to the conversation.

Hakyeon……he would never regret falling in love with his human. Sanghyuk had given his life meaning, given him a reason to live. Before Sanghyuk, he’d just wandered around from place to place, simply existing and never really living. He’d done that for so long that he’d honestly forgotten what living was. But when Sanghyuk came into his life……it became a life. And Sanghyuk wasn’t the only one who’d given his life meaning either.

Woojin and Seungmin were his boys, his wonderful sons. He’d never known the joy being a father could bring until they came into his life. He wouldn’t trade all the sleepovers, report cards, and after school activities for anything. He cherished the memories of giving Woojin his first guitar, reading Seungmin to sleep every night, and all the Father’s Day breakfasts the boys had tried to make him over the years.

Hakyeon looked at his family and decided that when Sanghyuk finally died, he would follow. Well, he’d make sure that Woojin and Seungmin had families of their own and then he would follow.

A/N: this started as, like, such a random idea that I hadn’t even fully thought out, but I gotta say I like how it turned out. ……and I might have just finished work on a full version that I’m gonna post tomorrow after one last read to make sure everything is just right.