007

VIXX 300 Theme Challenge Vol. 2

Title: Only Human

Pairing: Chasang

Word Count: 841

 

Hakyeon scowled at his reflection, more than a little unhappy with what he saw. What did he see? A human. A normal human, nothing special about him. Hakyeon was a normal human. He had no special powers or skills. He was just like the majority of the population.

For many people, this wouldn’t be a problem. For many people, being something other than a normal human would be the problem. But Hakyeon wasn’t like all those people. For him, normal was a very big problem.

Why?

Because he had fallen in love with someone who wasn’t human.

Sanghyuk was about as far from human as you could get. He was a creature so old that humans had long forgotten what to call him. So old that he had forgotten what the humans had once called him. He had glorious wings made of white feathers and magnificent golden horns that he often hid with his magic. He could command the elements as he pleased and heal people.

Hakyeon had met him by chance one cold, snowy day in the middle of winter. His car had crashed in the middle of nowhere and he had no idea what to do. He’d tried calling for help, but his cell phone couldn’t get any reception. It had looked like Hakyeon might freeze to death regardless of if he stayed with his car or went looking for help.

And that was when Sanghyuk had appeared.

He had healed Hakyeon’s wounds from the crash and warmed him up. He hadn’t been able to repair the car, but he had taken Hakyeon home and made sure that he would be alright. Hakyeon had been convinced that it was a dream at first, but the feeling of flying through the sky as Sanghyuk brought him home……he’d known it was real then. It was meant to be their first and only meeting, but it ended up just being their first.

They had crossed paths a lot after that.

Hakyeon would be walking home and there Sanghyuk would be, helping a homeless man as best he could. Sanghyuk would be relaxing in the park and Hakyeon would suddenly pass by on his morning jog. They would end up at the same club, both there for different reasons yet still ending up standing beside each other at the bar. Eventually, they started meeting on purpose. They would talk for hours during those meetings, learning so much about each other.

It was inevitable that Hakyeon would fall in love.

And that was where the problem lay.

While Sanghyuk was an ancient being of vast power, Hakyeon was nothing but an ordinary human. There was no way Sanghyuk could ever love someone like him. If Sanghyuk fell in love with anyone, it would be with someone who was special like him. Maybe someone like Sanghyuk’s friends Taekwoon, a psychic, or Jaehwan, a demon. But not Hakyeon, never Hakyeon.

Hakyeon glared at his reflection, wishing that he could be different.

“Hakyeon?” Sanghyuk asked, suddenly appearing in the doorway of the bathroom, “why are you unhappy?”

“S-Sanghyuk,” Hakyeon gasped, startled by the other’s entrance even though he should be used to it by now, “what are you doing here?”

“I felt your sadness,” Sanghyuk replied, moving closer, “why are you unhappy?”

“It’s nothing,” Hakyeon insisted, forcing himself to smile, “don’t worry.”

“It’s not nothing,” Sanghyuk told him, moving closer still, “you aren’t happy and I want to know why.”

“Why?” Hakyeon asked, trying to delay until he could think of a believable answer for Sanghyuk’s question. He knew from experience that Sanghyuk wouldn’t stop asking until he received a satisfactory answer.

“Why do I care?” Sanghyuk replied, “I care about you. If you’re upset, then so am I. I want you to be happy. So tell me, why are you upset?”

“I-I,” Hakyeon struggled for words, “I……the person I love……they can never love me back. Not the way I want them to love me.”

“Hakyeon,” Sanghyuk said, his eyes telling Hakyeon that he knew what wasn’t being said, “Why do you think that they could never love you the same way you love them? What did they do to give you such an idea?”

“I’m human,” Hakyeon replied, “and you aren’t.”

“Why does that matter?” Sanghyuk pressed.

“Because I’ll grow old and die,” Hakyeon told him, “but you won’t. You’ll stay like this forever, but I’ll die and leave you alone.”

“Oh, Hakyeon,” Sanghyuk sighed, pulling the other into a hug.

“I love you,” Hakyeon said, tears starting to fall as he tightly hugged the elder, “I love you so much.”

“I love you, too,” Sanghyuk said, “and there are ways to undo your mortality if that is what you want.”

“Really?” Hakyeon asked, pulling away slightly, “you…you love me, too?”

“Yes.”

“And there’s a way I could be with you forever?” Hakyeon started to smile, “really?”

“Really,” Sanghyuk nodded, “if you want to be by my side forever, there is a way for that to happen.”

Hakyeon smiled brightly before pulling Sanghyuk into a kiss.

A/N: and the chasang couple lived happily ever after.