080

VIXX 300 Theme Challenge Vol. 2

Title: Met Before

Pairing: Chasang

Word Count: 1201

 

“I can’t believe this,” Hakyeon grumbled as he settled himself into the carriage, “an arranged marriage to a stranger? Really?”

He couldn’t believe his parents would do this to him. He wasn’t against the idea of marriage, nor the idea of his wedding being arranged by his family. That was how things were after all. No, the problem was that he had no idea who he was being married off to. His parents were being extremely tight lipped on the subject, simply telling him that everything would be alright.

As if that was enough to calm him.

Hakyeon sulked as the carriage started to move, silently be his fate. He wished that he was a lucky as his friends. Wonsik had managed to end up with Hongbin, his long-time love. Taekwoon and Jaehwan had been a perfect match for each other, hence why they had already been courting. But Hakyeon……..oh, what had he done to bring him such a fate.

As he looked out the window, he found himself thinking of his own love. They had only met a few times when they were children, but those couple of meetings were enough for Hakyeon to fall in love with the other. The boy, Sanghyuk, was of a higher social status then Hakyeon’s own family, which explained why they hadn’t been able to meet often. But his status didn’t interest Hakyeon, instead it was the other’s kind heart and warm smile that had stolen Hakyeon affections. It was his sharp mind and wit that had made Hakyeon search for him at every social gathering.

Upon their last meeting, Sanghyuk had pledged that he would one day marry Hakyeon. The idea very of spending forever with the young prince had made Hakyeon cry with joy and he’d been quick to promise Sanghyuk that his heart would always belong to the other. In the minds of the two ten year-olds, those words were just as good as any contract the adults could write. Apparently not since Hakyeon’s parents weren’t sending him to be with Sanghyuk.

“Not that I can really blame them,” Hakyeon muttered to himself.

As Hakyeon had grown, he’d come to understand exactly what his status was and why it was important. He was merely a lord, while Sanghyuk would be the land’s next king. A lord could never marry a king, only a princess or prince could do something like that. That’s what his teacher had told him anyway, trying to comfort him when he started to cry. His teacher had assured him that he would find another who he would love, someone he could have this time, and everything would be alright. Hakyeon had tried to follow the other’s advice, but his heart remained loyal to Sanghyuk, just like he had promised.

Now, none of that mattered.

Maybe Hakyeon would come to love the one he was being forced to marry. That was what his mother had told him. But if he were being honest with himself, ten years had not made his love for Sanghyuk fade. Being unable to see his love had not made his feelings fade. Why would marrying someone else bring a change to his heart? Hakyeon knew, he was destined to love Sanghyuk until the end of time.

“Maybe in the next life,” Hakyeon sighed as he allowed himself to fall asleep, dreaming of a day where he could stand by his love’s side.

 

--

 

“My lord,” Hakyeon startled awake as the door to the carriage opened, “we have arrived.”

“Thank you,” Hakyeon nodded, trying to smile as best he could at his driver. Bang Chan wasn’t the one making him marry someone he didn’t know, plus he’d had to stay awake the whole trip so Hakyeon refused to take out his displeasure on him.

Carefully, Hakyeon exited the carriage and looked around. The estate was much grander than anything Hakyeon had ever seen before. For a moment, he was convinced that they had arrived at the wrong place, but his driver was quick to assure him that they were where they were supposed to be.

“Ah,” a butler smiled as the front doors opened, “Lord Hakyeon, it’s a pleasure to meet you.”

“Oh, um,” Hakyeon stumbled over his words, “th-thank you.” His teacher would die of shame if they knew, as would his mother.

“I’m Woojin,” the butler nodded slightly in greeting before offering Hakyeon his arm, “I’m the head of staff around here. Now, would you like to be shown to your room first, or would you like to meet my lord?”

“I guess I should meet him first,” Hakyeon said, frowning slightly, “really shouldn’t put that off.” Hakyeon had to face reality sometime, what better time than now. Besides, after his meeting he could retreat to his room to cry and no one would notice.

“This way then,” Woojin said, “Hyunjin and Minho will take your things to your room.”

Hakyeon nodded as Woojin led him into the house. Honestly, it was more like a palace then a home, but calling it a palace…….Hakyeon didn’t want to use that word. The word made him think of what he would never – could never – have. That word made him sad. So he refused to use it to describe his new home.

“He’s arrived?”

Woojin and Hakyeon both startled slightly as a new voice called out. Hakyeon looked around for the source, only to freeze completely when he found the person who’d spoken.

“Yes, Jisung,” Woojin sighed, “he’s right here. You realize you’ve ruined the surprise, right?”

“Then Sanghyuk should have greeted him at the door,” Jisung shrugged.

Hakyeon remained frozen, not really understanding the interaction taking place before him. Jisung was Sanghyuk’s younger brother. A few years prior, he had renounced his title and married one of the castle knights, Lee Felix if Hakyeon remembered the gossip correctly. It had caused a huge stir within the nobility of the kingdom and for a moment Hakyeon had allowed himself to hope. If Jisung could marry outside of royalty, especially one who’d come from outside the kingdom, then surely he could marry Sanghyuk.

His friends had sat him down and explained things for him. They hadn’t liked it, but it needed to be done. Jisung was the second son, he would only inherit the crown should something happen to Sanghyuk. Secondly, he’d renounced his title, given up all claims he had to his title and position and inheritance. Finally, Lee Felix’s background. While it was true that he had not been born within the kingdom, his family was from their lands. Additionally, he’d proven his loyalty to the royal family through many quests and battles. Naturally, the King would have little trouble allowing one of his best knights to wed his youngest son.

“I think he’s frozen,” Jisung’s voice finally broke through Hakyeon shock.

“Y-you,” Hakyeon gasped, looking between Jisung and Woojin, “What are-? Who is-?”

“Calm down,” Woojin said, “everything is alright.”

“B-but,” Hakyeon said, hope bubbling up inside of him, “does….does this mean…..”

“Hakyeon.”

Hakyeon’s eyes instantly found Sanghyuk’s.

“Sanghyuk,” he breathed before rushing into the other’s waiting arms.

“Welcome home,” Sanghyuk smiled, embracing Hakyeon tightly, “I told you that you’d be my bride.”

A/N: Stray Kids seem to be finding their way into my writing a lot as of late.