041

VIXX 300 Theme Challenge Vol. 2

Title: Island

Pairing: Rahyuk

Word Count: 537

 

Sanghyuk had grown up on the island. He hadn’t been born there, but his parents had taken up residence along the island’s shores when he was only a few months old so he might as well have been. He knew everything about the island. It was in his blood, in his soul.

When he was a kid, he hadn’t minded. He loved the island and couldn’t imagine living anywhere else. The island had everything he needed back then; his family, his friends, and adventure. But now he was an adult and he didn’t feel the same way. He wanted to see other sights, go other places, and meet new people.

No one seemed to understand that, though.

“But it’s so beautiful here,” Hakyeon frowned, “it’s paradise.”

“Don’t you want something new though?” Sanghyuk pressed, “see something you haven’t seen before? Meet someone new? There hasn’t been anyone new here in……in ten years at least.”

“Not true,” Jaehwan argued, “Taekwoon’s sister had a baby. That’s someone new.”

“Not what I meant,” Sanghyuk sighed. He knew he wouldn’t get through to his friends, but he couldn’t help but try.

“Life is perfect here,” Hongbin shrugged, “I really don’t know why that doesn’t satisfy you like it does us.”

“Maybe it’s because I don’t want perfect,” Sanghyuk replied, “and I don’t want satisfied.”

So Sanghyuk started making plans to leave. Everyone tried to get him to change his mind, but he was set on what he wanted to do. When the morning of his departure arrived, he found himself alone on the dock save for one other person.

“Wonsik?” he asked, more than a little surprised to find the other waiting for him.

He and Sanghyuk weren’t friends. Well, they kind of were. They shared the same friend group, but the two of them weren’t really close. They didn’t hate each other or anything, they just……..weren’t close. When the topic of Sanghyuk wanting to leave came up, Wonsik didn’t really comment. Mostly he would just make noises of agreements to whatever the others said. So seeing him at the docks was more than a little surprising.

Even more shocking was seeing him standing there with a bag at his feet.

“Hey,” Wonsik smiled slightly, “what’s up?”

“What’s up with you?” Sanghyuk frowned slightly, “why are you here? And with a bag?”

“I’m leaving, too,” Wonsik replied like that was all the answer needed.

“Why?” Sanghyuk pressed, “You never said anything about leaving before, so……I’m confused.”

“You made some good points,” Wonsik shrugged, still trying to play it off as nothing, “made me think about things. Made me realize that I don’t really want to stay here forever either.”

“Alright then,” Sanghyuk said after a moment, turning his attention to the boat that would take them away from the island.

Wonsik watched him for a moment, silently wondering if this was a horrible mistake. He had only recently decided to leave, decided that he didn’t want Sanghyuk to leave without him. He didn’t have anything lined up for work or lodgings. He had no plan to speak of. This could easily be the worst mistake he had ever made.

But……so long as he was with Sanghyuk…….it might not be too bad.

A/N: I really like how this one turned out. Don’t know exactly what makes me like it so much, I just do.