041

It Has To Be You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Forty One;;

Both of you thanked the waiter after he put down the foods one the table. The waiter smiled and bowed before walked away.

“Thank you, Sooyeon.”

You let your eyes wandered around the restaurant for a second before pulled them back to stare at Naeun’s face. Her face was caked with thin layer of make which highlighted her beautiful features. You frowned lightly at her words. “Thank you for?”

“For agree to have a lunch with me. I heard that you’re working right now. Congratulations.” Naeun smiled softly.

You nodded at her with a faint smile. “Thank you.”

“I’m so sorry to take your time. I hope you don’t mind.”

You shake your head lightly. “I’m sure you have something to say. It’s lunch hour anyway.”

Naeun sipped her juice before put her glass down. She seems in deep thought for a second before a very small smile painted on his face. “How are you?”

You raised your eyebrows at her question – Naeun don’t want to get straight to the point. “I was fine.” You answered her quietly. Your eyes were still glued on Naeun’s face, trying to observe her face expression.

Naeun nodded at your answer, her fingers absent-mindly the straw. “Glad to hear that.”

You looked down.

“Did you drink, Sooyeon-ah?”

Your eyes glanced up at her.

Naeun laughed lightly. “How is your alcohol tolerance? Is it good?”

You frowned at her question. “I don’t drink.” You did have some drinks, but drinking was not in your must-do list. Drinking makes you felt nausea all the time, so you’ve been avoiding doing that. “I don’t drink unless it was very necessary.”

“I thought so.” Naeun smiled softly at you. “Myungsoo didn’t drink too, you know?”

Your eyes flickered at her face once again.

Here we go.

Naeun sighed before continued, “Myungsoo didn’t drink. He said there were so much better things to do other than drinking. But when he’s drinking, he can’t be control. He barked, he cried, and said something stupid. And he hates it – when he loses control of himself. So he was avoiding them, too.”

You exhaled very slowly. You knew where this conversation going. “Naeun, --“

“I don’t know what happened to you guys, but –“ You saw Naeun’s eyes changed into a sad stare. “—Myungsoo is in his worse state right now. He was much more worse than he lose you for the first time.”

You stared at Naeun as she tried to control her shaky voice.

“Myungsoo was twenty four hours in his office, he don’t want to go out, buried himself in thick files and reports, no meals and that happened when he was under my care. What did he do when I’m not there with him?”

You looked away when Naeun stared at you with her teary eyes.

“Myungsoo is a very nice guy, Sooyeon. Why he can’t be happy?”

You looked down at your fingers on your laps.

Myungsoo –

“Why you came back if you’re going to torture him like these, Oh Sooyeon?”

You looked up in shocked when Naeun hissed.

“Why you came back?” Naeun sobbed. “It has been seven years, Sooyeon. Myungsoo lives well without you for seven years, why did you come back?”

You blinked, a big lump stuck in your throat.

“Have you ever thought about his parents, Sooyeon?” Naeun whispered before she took a deep breath and calmed down. “Have you ever thought that what will the Kims said when you threw their precious son away – just like that – twice? Have you ever thought about Grandma, for once?”

Naeun took another breath. “The Kims treasured you a lot, even after you threw her son away. Don’t you should feel a little bit guilty? Where’s your conscience?”

Your silence makes Naeun whined in frustration.

“You knew it, don’t you? Why Grandma married Myungsoo off?” Naeun stared at you. “Because of my mother. Because of Hanbin appa.”

You noticed her wavered voice when she said the name.

“Hannbin appa was a very nice man, he was what I called my first love – his father love was all I need. When I was a child, appa –“ Naeun wiped her tears messily “—appa really loves me. He buys me everything, he tells me stories and listens well to my childish thought, even though he knew I’m not his real daughter. Yet, he sacrificed everything for my mother and I – for our happiness – even it cost him his life, Sooyeon.”

You choked a sob.

“Grandma don’t want the same thing happen to any of her bloodline anymore, so she want to see Myungsoo to marry to a wise girl and when Grandma was introduced to you, she feel like she can rest in peace because she knew Myungsoo will be fine in the right hand.”

“Naeun –“

“You proved Grandma wrong, as soon as she died, Sooyeon.”

Her words sliced you into pieces.

“Naeun!”

Naeun stared at you and you saw hurts on her face. She’s hurt because she needed to have this talk with you, she’s hurt because she’s hurting you, she’s hurt because of herself. “I admired you a lot, Sooyeon. You are a good friend. But –“

You admired Naeun too. She’s a really good friend and you hated it when she accused you like this – even though she’s right.

Her true words stabbed you right into your heart.

“But Naeun, you don’t know what happened to me.” You whimpered. “Myungsoo isolated me as soon as Grandma was buried. He cares about you, Naeun.”

Naeun blinked. “W-what are you talking about?”

“Myungsoo don’t want to hurt you – he doesn’t want to reveal our marriage because he doesn’t want to hurt you. You mean a big deal to him, Naeun. ”

“Is that what you think, Sooyeon?”

You looked away. “You love him and perhaps, Myungsoo –“

“Sooyeon,” Naeun called. “He loves you, don’t you see it?”

Your eyes flickered to her face once again.

Naeun stared deep at you. “He cared for me, but he loves you.”

You tried to move your lips but nothing escaped from your lips.

“Sooyeon, have you ever thought why you’re married to him at the first place? Have it ever cross your mind -- why out of people, you’re the one who’ve been asked to be his bride?”

You blinked. You knew the marriage was Grandma’s request.

But why me?

“Myungsoo loves you since he was fifteen.” Naeun pressed.

A small gasped escaped from your lips. “W-what are you talking about?”

Naeun’s lonely tear was rolling down her cheek again. “Myungsoo loves you.”

“I-It can’t be ..”

You saw how hurt painted on Naeun’s expression but she continued her words. “Don’t you never notice it before? Why Myungsoo still keep you after seven years? Have you ever thought about that?”

Something crossed inside your mind. But you quickly shook it off. “B-because of Grandma’s wish –“

“God damn it, Sooyeon, stopped thinking Grandma! Myungsoo loves you.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter