Chapter 09

Youngest of Pieces - [Black & White] (7)

Hannah is sweaty, tired, her body is aching and she looks forward to come backstage, change clothes, get some water and stand in front of the fan to get ready to get back up on the stage. But she hasn’t even entered the backstage room when Emelia confronts her. She looks furious for some reason, the make-up around her eyes are thick and she is glaring at Hannah when asking when she was going to tell her about her condition.

“What condition?” Hannah asks, being pushed by a stylist inside the room as they are under a tight schedule.

“Your freaking body!” Emelia answers, following close behind her. “Are you seriously reaching this limit the doctor has been talking about?”

“No!” Hannah bursts out, turning around while taking some steps to the side to get the new set of clothes. “Why are you bringing that up now?”

“Why-” Emelia cuts off herself, looking shocked. “You are asking me why? Seriously? Mom would ing kill me if you got up on that stage when feeling like you wants to collapse. I would kill myself if I ever allowed you do that too.”

“I’m fine, Emelia,” Hannah sounds annoyed. “Let’s talk about this after the concert if you still want to talk about it.”

“What if it’s too late then?” Emelia asks, ignoring all the other people in the room. Speaking in Swedish makes only two of the people in the room understand them. Hannah looks at Emelia when hearing that question. “I will not see you in the hospital again, Hannah. I will never.”

“I’m not going to the hospital,” Hannah sighs, suddenly feeling bad. She doesn’t want her members to think that she will collapse on the stage, though she feels totally exhausted, she will go through this concert and go to bed. She will not disappoint their fans, her members, their families or the staff. She will go through the concert.

Hannah gives Emelia a hug when she is going to change clothes, saying they should give off a big time ending for the concert. Emelia gives her a warning look though, just her face expression telling Hannah she shouldn’t overdo herself. Hannah grimaces at her and Emelia grabs her chin with her hand, them both smiling.

The moment Maria ends her performance, the other girls starts the next song. Carolina appears on the stage first, starting off singing her part of [Can’t Make You Love Me] from their second album. Hannah appears next, dancing with two of the male dancers. Each members comes up on the stage, Maria had rushed backstage to change clothes before coming up for her part.

They do the final speech, finishing the three songs before coming backstage to prepare for the encore. Maria curses when coming off the stage. Her foot had positioned wrong while jumping around during the songs, but she had pulled through the last song just to come off the stage cursing and letting out the pain through words.

“Don’t come ask me if I can do the encore,” she says the moment Manager Lim comes up to her. He barely got to open his mouth before she said that. “I can do it. We’re in Sweden; nothing can stop us.”

“5 Pieces!” Carolina cheerfully says to make her cheer up a little.

They can hear the audience call for an encore and the girls are hurrying to change their clothes, Emelia hitting Hannah lightly on the shoulder when Hannah asks Maria how her foot is. The cameras catch that backstage, how the girls are smiling while panicking when preparing for the encore. Wearing their concert t-shirt for the final and jeans shorts with doodles and dots, 5 Pieces appears on the stages after hearing the fans chanting “ENCORE! ENCORE! ENCORE!” and they plays the song [Can’t Stop], starting to have the last half hour fun of the concert.

“EVERYONE!” Hannah shouts when the next song is starting and she laughs when getting a loud response. “LET’S HAVE SOME MORE FUN!”

The first three encore songs are just wild and crazy. The girls are running around, singing and shouting, making the audience jump too, the girls throwing out autographed puzzles for their fans, and the highlight; throwing water on each other. Maria’s foot seem to be a lot better the way she is running around, screaming and throwing water on the ladies and the audience. Hannah runs up to Emelia, laughing in her ear while hugging each other and they are both holding a bottle of water, trying to keep each other from pouring the water over the other, which ends up with both of them getting wet of course. The audience is going crazy when Emelia gives Hannah a peck on the cheek when they are parting to go run in each direction. Fans will have a lot of fun with that.

Next up is their Swedish special. Their [Flying Free] song comes to an end and Hannah looks out over the sky above them that is black and the purple ocean of fans in front of them when they starts to perform Tomas Ledin’s [En del av mitt hjärta] - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzcA9OdR-CM – and she just can’t stop smiling. The Swedish fans know what song it is, and those that don’t know what song it is still love the fact that 5 Pieces are singing a song in Swedish. Hannah is enjoying the song, waving her hand above her head. It is a classic song for the girls, a song Hannah remembers she and Emelia used to sit and listen to. She smiles to Julia who walks by her. It’s a moving song, and it seems like the audience understands that even if all of them don’t know what song it is.

Hannah runs towards the centre when the song is coming to an end. She had forgotten about her position when suddenly noticing that the song is coming to an end, and the drums are waiting for her on the middle stage. She holds on to the drumsticks and waits for the cue.

*Sommartider, hej, hej, sommartider!* the girls shouts out and Hannah starts to play.

Gyllende Tider’s [Sommartider] - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7s87VzEc4M - is a classic summer song and it is fun playing it. They can hear audience sing along, since they have made sure to put the lyrics up on the screen for these two songs so the audience can sing along if they want. Hannah just hopes they are having fun – which the audience seems to have. She focuses mostly on playing the drums, loving the melody she plays for this song. Maria is dramatic with her singing, each girl enjoying the song and stage her own way. Hannah can feel the t-shirt sticking to her body, even her sneakers wet from playing with the water on the earlier songs. She stops playing halfway through the song to continue just singing the song with the others walking around on the stages, letting the professionals play the instruments.

“Did you know those songs?!” Maria asks happily when the song ends, wiping the hair away from her forehead. “Our childhood memories just passed through our minds and if you all felt the song like we did, it could be like we have shared our memories with everyone.”

“I think you have been taking too many turns on the stage,” Emelia mentions while moving her finger around and around, meaning Maria can’t think correctly and the audience screams when those two are grimacing at each other and just simply fooling around.

“For being our first concert in Sweden, all of you here has been singing EXTREMELY WELL to all of our songs,” Carolina compliments the audience cutely. The group is standing on the middle stage – the drum set isn’t there anymore – and Hannah looks at her members on her right. “And you can know that we have had a great time today because … our voices are almost gone again!”

“We got to do something about that,” Maria sounds excited but troubled, looking at her members. “We got to do like some kind of scream that keeps our voices like … our voices.”

“How will shouting make our voices better when shouting is the reason we are loosing them?” Julia laughs.

“We just scream half the way,” Maria shrugs her shoulders and Hannah is pretty sure the audience got no idea of what Maria means until she shouts out; “PIECES OF ONE!” and then reaches out the microphone to the audience that is fast to catch up by answering; “5 PIECES!”

She does that a few times, Maria shouting “pieces of one” and the audience answering “5 Pieces” and the other members are moving back and forth along with Maria, enjoying it. Maria then smiles kindly to the audience.

“Thank you,” she says sweetly to them.

“Though it is the saddest part of the day, I have to say … we got only two more songs left to sing for you guys,” Carolina says with a sulky face. Hannah nods with a pout when the audience cries out for response. “It is sad, that this amazing concert with you all is coming to an end. But we are hoping everyone has had the best time with us, that you will ask us to come again, and before beginning with the next song, our magnae will show her cuteness.”

Hannah looks surprised at her, receiving laughter because of her face expression. “My what? Why? What?”

“Hannah’s aegyo is the most adorable thing you can witness from 5 Pieces,” Maria mentions for the audience that loves every word they are saying. Hannah laughs, touching Julia’s arm when taking a step back from laughing and then takes her place next to her again.

“Emelia is cuter than me,” Hannah tries to put the attention on their rapper who laughs openly and cutely tells Hannah that she is cuter. The audience is freaking out when Hannah responses to Emelia saying that she is the cutest. Hannah looks out at the audience with a cute pout. “Our next song is [Just U & Me].”

She smiles when the ballad starts to play and the group parts to walk around while singing it.

The song is from their first album, and while walking around with the soft music and hearing each other’s voices, Maria just can’t help it. She thinks of how the group struggled with making this song. How they was constantly being scolded by not correctly pronouncing the Korean words and just how much time the girls spent crying about everything from that time. She starts to cry just half a minute in to the song. Just three years ago she used to cry herself to sleep missing her family; even now she can start to cry thinking of her family. At this moment she is having a concert with her ladies, her family is in the audience, the concert is in their hometown and she thought that they wouldn’t be able to have concert in Sweden for at least twenty years; to even be recognized in Swedish media is far away from something she had imagined. Just this morning, she saw on the TV channels – it is all about 5 Pieces. All the people that have come today, from all around Europe, it is something that she just a year ago couldn’t imagine. She is proud, happy, excited after spending the time on the stage here this evening, just the whole trip to Sweden have felt like coming home after spending years earning fame, coming home to get a price for their hard work. That is what she sees the concert as, all these people enjoying the concert with them; it is a price.

By the time Maria comes up to Hannah when heading back towards the middle stage, the tears are rolling down her cheeks and you can hear on her voice when she sings that she is crying. The audience is crying too, seeing her cry. Hannah fastens her steps with her arms stretched out to embrace Maria in a hug. Hannah thought she had been doing well avoiding tears, even seeing the audience cry next to the stage over the sweet song, but seeing Maria cry just broke the wall in her and she starts to cry too. Their concert is coming to an end. Their Swedish concert...

Wiping away the tears, the girls are standing in a circle at the middle stage, facing each other and Maria’s voice cracks when singing a high tone with Carolina right before the music is cut off. Carolina isn’t crying; her nose is turning a little red under the make-up, tears slightly welling up inside her but not reaching her eyes. The spotlights shining on them are changed to soft white light and Julia gives a soft smile to the members, seeing how emotional everyone looks, before the girls’ turns around to face the audience. The platform they are standing on is normally supposed to lift up at this part, but since Sweden didn’t have that equipment, they are just standing there while the girls continue to sing the song. They are giving their all to their voices, trying to hold in the tears when singing to not ruin the song, Hannah lowering her head whenever she isn’t singing just to not have to face their fans with a tearful face – a face filled with tears of happiness.

When the song ends, the ladies turn towards each other and they walk together for a group hug. It is quiet, but you can hear some in the audience crying, the ladies on the stage standing close to each other and they all smile when Carolina sniffle from starting to cry. Julia leans her hand over to wipe away the tears from her cheeks without ruining the make-up, and the girls then counts down on command before [I Love You] starts to play and they excitedly turns around, giving out cheerful shouts to make everyone excited for the last song.

*I giggle like never before* Hannah sings out loudly, being the first to sing in the song, smiling like crazy because she is still crying but it is happy tears like everyone else so they are running around, mixing smiles with tears.

*I don’t know what to do

I blush like never before (ha-ha-ha)

I can’t, can’t control myself*

Hannah runs over to the left arm stage, almost falling to her knees at the side when wanting to reach over to the screaming fans. She doesn’t want the concert to end. Now when it is the final song she wants to sing so many more songs as she doesn’t want to loose this moment. That feeling always comes at the end. She gets up on her feet, wiping away the tears as she need to just have fun and she picks up something that a fan have thrown up on the stage. It is a headband with cute ears and some pink colours. Hannah doesn’t really like pink, so she puts it on lightly before deciding to put it on Carolina instead. First she must run up to Carolina, give her a hug because Carolina wants it, and then put it on. The two girls give a pose for some fans before running different directions. Carolina grabbed Hannah’s arm to run together along the stage, but Hannah came out of the grip and ran the other direction while enjoying the song. Maria is wiping her tears; cheerfully singing and making sure the fans are having great last minutes with them. The song eventually comes to an end, background music is played now for the girls to walk around on the different sides of the stages to bow and thank exactly everyone on left, right, front and middle in the audience. Hannah can’t help but to look an extra time at Emelia, who is wiping away tears. Emelia, their charismatic rapper, is crying. It took them to come to Sweden for her to break apart on the stage, so when heading to the main stage, Hannah puts her arms around Emelia, telling her she has never been so cute before.

“You’re the fault for it,” Emelia complains, putting her arm around Hannah’s neck while heading towards the stage where their dancers and guests are lining up. “I just can’t stop thinking about it.” She means what she talked to Hannah with before backstage, giving Hannah another peck by the cheek before waving to the fans on the side. Hannah walks hand in hand with Emelia, standing between her and Jonghyun on the main stage and smiling at Jonghyun when taking her position.

“For 5 Pieces’ very first ‘Moon Child’ concert outside Asia, right here in Sundsvall, Sweden, there has been so many people helping us to create, make and fulfil from beginning to now,” Julia is saying to the background music. “I think a lot of the people we have- a lot of people that we have gotten to know in Korea are aware of how much this concert in Sweden means to us, so I think we should first of all thank Lee Sooman teacher – who is the one who suggested Sweden as the location for this concert, thank you so much…”

While the girls are thanking people, Hannah puts her hands to below her eyes. She wants to lie down, her back is hurting, but she is crying because the ladies are thanking everyone for their concert in Sweden, the tears in their throats and they just keeps saying how thankful they are. They thank the staff, both the Swedish and Korean – Maria adds to thank all those in uniform that have been in charge of safety, saying their hard work have helped all their fans to arrive to the concert safely and probably will also help them leave safely – the stylists, dancers and you can definitely hear how Maria is tearing up anew when mentioning their families. “Our families who have come to watch our concert, who have made it extra nervous for us today and who during our rehearsals have watched us from backstage and who during all time in Korea have supported us from afar; we love you and thank you for letting us grow and for teaching us what we know, and for coming to this historical moment of 5 Pieces’ journey.”

“We also want to thank our SM Town family, the friends and seniors,” Carolina says with a hand to the sides at DBSK and SHINee, “who performed with us today and shared this stage with us and giving us support with their presence and advice even if we know they are very busy.”

“DBSK and SHINee, thank you!” Maria starts to clap her hands and their guests give a bow and small applause too.

“Let’s come here with our whole SM Town family next time!” Julia suggests cheerfully to the audience, her hand up in the air and most fans reaches their hands up to the air too and shouts in agreement.

“But most of all,” Maria continues, “we want to thank all our beautiful and loving fans. You are truly amazing!”

“To be able to have a concert in Sweden, the country we grew up in, where our families and childhood is…” Emelia starts to say, you can hear the tears in . “To be able to have the concert here just four years after our debut in Korea, I must say that is something I hadn’t expected for at least twenty years.”

“Agree…”

“But our Puzzle in Europe made so much noise that we wanted to come here so badly before twenty years could pass and say that we have heard you and even if we are thousand miles away from each other, your support means a lot for us. Today’s concert… did you have fun?”

The audience shouts so loud for answer that there is no need at all to ask the question again.

“Thanks to everyone here today for having fun with us!” Maria ends off in the loudest voice she can achieve now, grabbing Taemin’s hand to raise it up to the air. Everyone holds hands. Jonghyun politely holds her wrist and with her other hand she shouts “thank you” with everyone else before holding Julia’s finger up in the air to bow deeply. Julia lets go of her finger to hug her arm instead when they are bowing. They bow two more times and the audience screaming is making Hannah cry again. She is teary when they are getting off the stage, waving and saying goodnight and tripping on her own foot so she stumbles forward two steps, then taking some steps back to wave with both hands and bow thankfully, continuing to wave when getting off the stage.

Hannah doesn’t know if there are cameras around backstage and she definitely got no thoughts about it – her mind is a mess over the concert ending. She thanks the staff for their hard work, mixing Korean and Swedish while heading through the corridor, thanking the dancers too that are coming off the stage with them and the room backstage gets loud with cheers and applauses over their first concert in Sweden that ended successfully. Hannah feels like she wants to fall apart. She had no idea her tears have started to run down her cheeks like a waterfall until she gets a hug from their stylist and feels how the stylist’s shirt gets wet from the tears running down by Hannah’s chin. Her whole body feels lifeless now, unable to hug the stylist back, and when coming out of the hug she turns around, bowing to Changmin who is patting Emelia on the back telling her how great they did. A towel appears in front of Hannah, helping her to pat away the tears and sweat in her face. The stylist slinks by to give Carolina a warm hug and Hannah finds the doctor standing in front of her, his worried face expression getting too familiar to her.

“Sit,” she breathes to the doctor and he is fast to ask if she wants to sit. She answers by having her legs looses the last strength so she is almost falling straight down on her like spaghetti before the doctor catches her, taking her two steps to the side to sit on a chair. It’s like everything she has hided under the concert comes right away. the tension in her body from hiding the pain and exhaustion has disappeared, so she can feel every part of her body hurting so much that a bit of the tears rolling down her cheeks are from that, and then just the whole concert has drawn all energy out from her. It was worth it, she thinks, when looking up to find all the ladies crying, embracing each other, the managers and stylists and Maria’s crying sound is just so unique that if Hannah now wasn’t feeling like this she would have smiled at it.

It’s a deeply emotional moment. Maria’s face is hidden behind tissues, Carolina is making sure to give exactly everyone who are coming off the stage a hug while crying and when Maria’s older sister comes she even gives her a hug (Carolina is extremely awkward with Maria’s family because they have met like two times before, but this moment must be spent with everyone), Julia is dabbing away the tears while talking to the stylist but you can see the dark circles under her eyes and she looks like she can fall asleep within seconds and Emelia is giving their manager a big bear hug with a manly pat on his back.

Hannah wants to go hug them all, but her body just don’t want to move from the chair. She can’t hear what the doctor asks her or tells her, she is just disappearing, unable to hear anything but dull sound from the noisy room. She wakes up from that when Maria comes up in front of her, putting her hands on Hannah’s shoulders. Hannah’s hair is wet from the concert, her skin is sweaty and she gives off a tired, dry laugh when Maria laughs in front of her, both of them realising how stupid they must look with these tear-filled faces. Hannah forces herself to stand up, not having a single idea of what the doctor has said to her, and instead gives Maria a hug, crying some more. Maria gives out a crying sound when seeing her sister making her way up to them and she gives her a big hug; her sister is almost crying too. Julia comes up to give Hannah a hug instead, them both wiping their own tears. Their families are arriving – Hannah’s aunt and cousins doesn’t come – and it gets awkward as the families are asking the girls why they are crying so much, then saying that have done so well, caressing their cheeks and such. Hannah smiles and laughs when getting hugs from Maria’s sisters, Julia’s mother and also Emelia’s mother. Emelia’s father gives her an awkward hug too.

It is crowded in the room. The ladies are starting to calm down from all crying, but the feeling isn’t leaving. Hannah gives out a satisfied smile when Jonghyun slinks through the whole room to come up to her – he had congratulated some of the other ladies on the way – and he embraces her warmly for a hug. Everyone is hugging backstage, so he found it the most natural thing to do. And Hannah is crying, what else can he do?

The doctor comes up to Hannah again, and this time she listens to him. She sits down, her out at the side of the chair and she leans back, getting help to breathe and calm her body. While everyone else is talking, hugging, calming down from the whole concert, Hannah is sitting there and being directed by the doctor of what to do. Several minutes passes before Carolina’s voice is heard over everyone else’s as she calls for Pieces to gather for a photo. It is photo time – 5 Pieces, then 5 Pieces with their families (each member with her family and a huge family photo with everyone), with DBSK & SHINee and so on. Lee Sooman is there too, joining some pictures, giving the girls hugs and telling them they did so well, how proud he is over them and that this is definitely a great concert. For tomorrow, he says, they can sleep out a little in the morning before coming for rehearsals for their second day concert, saying the girls have definitely earned some extra hours sleep. He hugs them again.

Hannah takes a deep breath – preparing her self – when being interviewed for one of the Korean cameras. They have been filmed nonstop backstage, and not until know she is thinking about it. Her eyes are puffy from the tears, her nose still running and she is so tired. You can see how she gathers herself to talk to the camera, still emotional from the concert. It has gotten more quiet in the room now as most of the people have left. The families have stepped outside and everyone is getting ready to leave.

“There are parts I regret in the concert, and my condition wasn’t the best, but our fans made us excited and it is a pity the first concert has ended already… There is a concert tomorrow too, which I am looking forward to and I hope we can pump up the audience just like we did today,” she is saying, her voice tired. “All of us really held in the tears to the ending, so everything just came out at the end… It must have looked weird, but, we have pulled through so… yeah…”

“Anything you want to tell the fans that came today?”

“Thank you for coming! I hope we can meet again soon-” Hannah stops talking with a laugh as Maria comes up from the side to embrace her. “Again, thank you so much!”

“We love you,” Maria says in a low voice, looking like she is going to sleep. The camera-woman asks her what they will do now. “Sleep. Go home and sleep and get strength for tomorrow. We will have a lot of fun with our fans tomorrow too.”

Everyone is heading home. 5 Pieces keeps hugging each other when heading out from the arena, hugging and patting and sleepy words before parting, everyone going home to them. The ladies had asked Hannah so many times if she doesn’t want to come sleep at any of their homes rather than at the hotel, but Hannah feels more like she can relax at the concert. The doctor hadn’t left her side backstage until she had stepped in to another room to let him take a look at her condition, ending up telling Hannah to take it extremely easy at tomorrow’s rehearsal and take this night as a chance to rest. She will rest, no doubt about that. She knows she needs to prepare her body for tomorrow’s concert and she is totally exhausted that she doesn’t think she can do anything else.

Hannah is quiet when riding with the manager to the hotel. Fans are there; Hannah doesn’t know if the fans knew they were staying at the hotel or if the fans are there to spend the night, but she is either way lead to the elevator without having to converse with fans. Manager Lim knew she is too tired for that.

SHINee and DBSK had arrived earlier, so just like yesterday Jonghyun goes to Hannah’s room quietly without anyone else but his roommate Key knowing. Hannah is washing up while Jonghyun lies down on the bed, almost asleep once she comes out the bathroom. She crawls in the bed to lie next to him, lying flat on her back while Jonghyun turns around to face her. None of them says anything, just going to sleep.

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

Her back is stiff in the morning, it is painful in her back and legs and upper-arms when turning around in the bed but she still starts to giggle when Jonghyun puts his arm around her, holding the quilt in his hand so it goes up over her shoulder and he snuggles in closer to her. She tries not to breathe on him because of her morning breath, but she can’t stop smiling over how cute he is when having his arm around her without even opening his eyes.

“Does it hurt?” he whispers.

“Hm?” she asks through , not even opening to give out the sound. Jonghyun’s hand goes down to her neck, removing the hair so he can rest his fingers to her skin.

“You’re grimacing,” he answers her. Hannah moves her head a little to look up at him, but his eyes are still closed even if the corner of his mouth twitches a little for a smile as he know she is looking at him. “And you made a noise when turning around. Does it hurt a lot?”

“No,” Hannah mumbles and slinks in her arm by his waist, moving in closer so she can rest her forehead by his chest. She wants to say that her body is stiff from sleeping, but she doesn’t know how to say that in Korean. “Did you sleep well?”

“Mm. Really well,” Jonghyun answers, smiling when Hannah giggles over how his voice is soft. “Do you know what day it is today?”

“Thursday,” Hannah answers and she moves away from him with a laugh when Jonghyun takes his finger to her stomach. She holds his hands away, her back touching the wall behind her and keeping an arm-length distance between them while laughing. Jonghyun pulls her back to him, holder her quite tightly so she can’t slink away.

“Should we spend the whole morning in bed?” he whispers with his lips towards her jaw while Hannah is laughing. She can feel how he is smiling towards her skin and she gives him a peck on the cheek before leaning up on her arm to look at him.

“I thought you said you wanted to do something on our second year anniversary,” she remembers.

Jonghyun keeps smiling, leaning his head down on the pillow and putting one hand under his head, shifting the position of his head while looking at her with that loving smile and soft eyes. She will never get used to him looking at her like that, even now feeling her cheeks blushing. “You need to rest. And I am satisfied just being with you. Could we spend the day better than together?” Jonghyun says and Hannah lowers her head with a smile, Jonghyun smiling too as he knows she isn’t used to hear those kind of sweet words. “I love you.”

“I love you too,” Hannah shyly answers and gives him a peck on the shoulder, lying down her body next to him.

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

Headline 05th: 5 Pieces’ Invites DBSK & SHINee To Sweden

Headline 05th: The Long Waited MTV ‘Life of Pieces’ Season 3 Airs First Episode!

Headline 05th: First Episode Of ‘Life of Pieces’ Raises Expectations For Season 3

Headline 05th: 5 Pieces’ First ‘Moon Child’ Concert In Sundsvall Rocks The Country

Headline 05th: Big Swedish Celebrities Shows Up At 5 Pieces’ Concert In Sweden

Headline 05th: Sundsvall In Shock Over The Amount Of People Visiting The City This Week