Chapter 08

Youngest of Pieces - [Black & White] (7)

”Wo!” Carolina gives a shout when the trio’s [Passion] performance has ended and the pieces are gathering on the main stage. The audience is screaming while Carolina walks by them towards the main stage, she waves to them happily.

“This is crazy!” Julia laughs and sits down on her heels, still laughing. Hannah is smiling when standing next to her.

“Did you enjoy the concert with us so far?” Carolina asks the audience happily and jumps a little out of excitement. She reaches out her microphone and the audience gives a loud answer that she seems satisfied with, since she gives the thumbs up.

“I got to tell you all this,” Maria says to the audience and takes a deep breathe in pause for effect before she looks at her members. “I feel so awkward talking like this.”

The girls are talking in Swedish, and the audience laughs when hearing her honestly say that it’s awkward. Emelia gives out a joke. “Is your Swedish bad?”

“No… It’s awkward to stand on stage like this and talk in Swedish. I don’t know what it is, it’s just awkward.” The funny thing is that though she is talking in Swedish, she says ‘awkward’ in English.

“Awkward in a good way?” Carolina asks and points at her, as if she is going to judge her depending on the answer.

“Ya,” Maria glares at her, the audience cheering over the usual ‘5P behaviour’. “Does this look to be a bad thing, idiot?” She shows with her hand out over the audience that laughs and cheers even more. Maria mutters ‘idiot’ for her again, looking away and Carolina gives a sulky face over the reaction from their leader. During their little nagging and talking, Emelia has completely ignored them by going to the front of the main stage to reach down and touch some fans’ hands. Julia asks her what she is doing, and Emelia says she is apologizing to the fans over the idiotic members.

“But if it’s awkward talking in Swedish, you can talk in another language,” Carolina suggests. Maria looks at her as if she has gotten all stupid. “There are probably fans speaking other languages…”

“Do we have some European friends here?” Emelia suddenly shouts out in English. A loud response comes from around the arena. The girls’ looks impressed; Hannah shows her magnae position by doing an o-mouth and points out over the different places she thinks the response came from. “Do we have some friends from outside Europe?”

There is a response there too, though not as loud. “Doesn’t that mean that we have gathered people from the whole world in one arena?” Maria looks impressed by it. “Is this world one or what?!”

“Let’s continue with the next song before our captain comes up with some more strange sentences,” Emelia says with a smirk. “Our next song is about [You With Me],” Emelia introduces the next song simply, Maria’s laugh is heard because of Emelia ignoring them and the soft R&B song starts to play and the girls starts to sing while heading out on the other stages, waving to the audience on the sides.

Backstage they are running to change clothes after the song, a video being played to open for the next act. Voices are asking where this and that are and just two minutes later the girls are jogging back to the stage, getting their microphones back from staff and exchanging some final words before taking their positions, going up together on the lift in the middle stage, the song playing is [I Love You].

“You all know what song this is?” Maria asks the audience loudly in her high voice, and the audience is already screaming when hearing what song it is and seeing the cute pyjama outfits that 5 Pieces are wearing. Hannah sings first, cutely with a smile because the audience definitely seems to know the song as they are singing along.

*I giggle like never before (hi-hi-hi)

I don’t know what to do

I blush like never before (ha-ha-ha)

I can’t, can’t control myself*

[Maria] *Look at me

Look inside my heart

My HEART is beating for you

Feel it pounding, hard so hard

I love you

My heart belongs to you*

“SING WITH US!”

The girls sing the chorus, dancing at the same time, and the audience in the arena is heard singing along. They are acting cute, knowing it is not their kind of image, but just that is fun because they don’t have to do any particular but smile and do some cute movements for the audience to scream loudly. Hannah’s left wrist is hurting a lot by now; more than her back that she barely notices because of the loud music and adrenaline. She hesitates whenever she shifts the microphone to her left hand, being distracted by it but when they aren’t dancing with choreography she holds the microphone in the right hand all the time. And she hasn’t even started to play the drums yet. She still pretends everything is fine, acting cute and enjoying the stage as much as she can.

[Hannah] *I love you! ([Julia] I LOVE YOU!)

These words I tell you,

[Carolina] I love you! ([Emelia] I LOVE YOU!)

You’re THE ONE I want

[Maria] I love you~~*

[CHORUS, ALL] *A MAN like you

I fall in love, love, love, love

Who I can trust

Who I can believe

I fall in love, love, love, love

A man for me*

[CHORUS 2, ALL] *Someone to take care of me

[Emelia] I lo- lo- love you ([Carolina] love~~)

[ALL] These words I kept for you

I love you; I lo- lo- love you*

The audience is crazily singing when they sing the chorus, singing along with them so loudly that the smiles on 5 Pieces faces can’t be taken away even while they try to focus on the song. Hannah keeps doing cute things during the end of the song, getting eye-contact with several of fans like all of them try to do as much as they can whenever they are on the stage, especially on concerts. It was one of the things Yunho told them for advice – a lot of eye-contact, because the fans will remember that.

Their successful song from last year comes to an end and [Let Us Ride] starts to play, a song that is one of the girls’ favourite songs from their second album. They start to jump right away on the stage, going just as crazy as the fans. Maria is throwing her hair back and forth that she almost falls off her feet.

[Emelia] *Oh, oh! Let’s Jump!

[Carolina + Julia] Everyone together!

[Maria + Hannah] Oh, oh! [ALL] Jump! Jump!*

[Hannah] *The sun rises for another day,

It shines high above us

A blue sky, I’m feeling great

Today is the day I’ll go with you~*

“With you?” Hannah asks and points out at one of the fans before she happily laughs with her eye-smile and the song is just really energetic so the girls can’t stop moving. The audience is not still for a second either.

[CHORUS] *Everyone out there! Let’s get together!* Carolina is shouting for her part, the chorus.

*Let us ride, ride to the horizon!

Let us ride, ride to the end of this world

[Maria] We’re strong together, we can make it

Everyone around me;

Let us ride*

Hannah starts to run along the stage to the right arm, the stage slippery in the socks that caused a great reaction last year when the group made a comeback with [I Love You] and she almost falls forward when running, laughing as the fans around her are screaming loudly. Julia continues to sing, Hannah stopping to run when arriving on the right side and she waves at the audience. She looks surprised when seeing a fan holding up a sign that says ‘ORIGINAL saved me’ in Swedish, beside from the song title. Hannah leans over the side of the stage, hands reaching up to try touch hers and Hannah happily hits their hands for high fives, but she only meets the eyes of the boy holding the sign. She gives him a big smile before standing up straight, waving to those on that side. She moves her hips back and forth cutely to the melody when Emelia’s rap ends and Carolina is starting with the chorus again, she then remembers that she is supposed to be at the very front of this right arm and she starts to run those meters before she stops there, looking at the audience on every direction, waving and doing cute expressions along to the music.

[CHORUS, Emelia + Julia] *Everyone out there, let’s get together

Let us ride, ride to the horizon

Let us ride, ride to the end of this world

[Maria + Carolina] We’re strong together, we can make it

Everyone around me;

Let us ride*

[ALL] *Oh, oh boy! [Hannah] Come over here

I’ll invite you, so come over*

[ALL] *Oh, oh girl! [Carolina] Come over here

I’ll invite you, so come over*

Hannah had disappeared down from the stage during her part, being with the fans with only a fence and guards between them. She touches their hands while singing because everyone is trying to reach out their hands for her, her left hand hurting but she doesn’t care as the feeling of this moment is overwhelming and she is jumping and waving her hand to the song, having the best time when seeing that the audience is having just as much fun.

When being down among the fans, she does believe that some of them will tell their friends later that Hannah definitely is the shortest in Pieces; wearing the socks and being on their level, she feels like she is drowning in the crowd. Hopefully not many will think much about her height; but she jumps a little more just in case.

Two songs later, she gets backstage. Their smiles disappears when coming backstage, out of breath and having someone trying to dap away the sweat on their faces and necks while heading backstage to change clothes, being rushed by staff. Julia went off the stage before the last song ended, so she is starting her solo song of Chris Medina’s [What Are Words] at the moment. Taking off the microphone to change clothes, cameras are being shoved out of the room but they are soon returning when the clothes have been changed and the microphones are being put back on.

Hannah looks around confused. It’s a mess backstage with everyone trying to prepare for the next stage. Carolina is up first with her solo song, singing SNSD’s [Kissing You]. It’s almost her turn already, so she leaves the room first. Hannah keeps looking around, quietly asking where the doctor is. She steps outside as he hadn’t been let inside by some staff. “I need help with my hand. I can’t perform,” Hannah sounds helpless and rushed when talking to him. He just shakes his hand, saying he can’t do anything about that. Her back is hurting too, so he does help her by giving her some kind of hard massage on the knot in her back that is hurting. She grimaces when he does that, Maria walking by, a camera following her, a few staff members walking by and a stylist coming up in front of her to help her out with hair and make-up. Hannah hurries to finish up in the room before heading to the side of the stage to wait to go up there again, not ready for her next performance but she is ready to go up and introduce their idol friends for the fans. The doctor followed her, now standing and pressing the knot on her back with hard fingers. Maria is standing next to her, both of them starting to give cheerful words to SHINee and DBSK coming there. SHINee is up first, Carolina heading straight back to prepare for 5 Pieces’ next turn.

The response to SHINee is loud. The audience singing loudly along to *oh, I’m curious, yeah* and Maria looks to enjoy hearing that. They are only four members on the stage because Minho isn’t there, but the response is so great and those standing on the side are looking proud over them. This is SHINee’s first performance in Sweden, and they have been very nervous about it. They do well, like expected, like they always do, and DBSK is getting nervous to step up next. SHINee comes off the stage and DBSK begins their song. SHINee waits on the side with Hannah and Maria, the six of them going to head up on the stage when DBSK’s song ends. They are nervous; Hannah can feel her stomach turning. It’s different seeing SHINee and DBSK perform. It’s like she finally understands that 5 Pieces is 5 Pieces, that they are having their first concert in Sweden and just the fact that their friends and seniors – unbelievable that they are friends and seniors – are performing on the same stage. Maria must be thinking the same thing, because she hugs Hannah’s arm with a smile while watching the performance, saying it is amazing. They can’t cry now, so Hannah looks at the side, seeing Jonghyun stand there and behind him there is a camera filming them. She hadn’t noticed it, and she doesn’t know if Jonghyun knows about it either because when he sees her looking his way he looks back at her, smiling and leans towards her to whisper that the performance he just came off the stage from was overwhelming. She knows that feeling.

DBSK’s song is coming to an end and those on the side are getting ready to step up on the stage. They talk, helping each other to remember what they were supposed to say and where they are supposed to stand. DBSK’s [Keep Your Head Down] is just the best, so it feels strange that 5 Pieces soon will head up on the stage and perform another song by their seniors. It will be hard to do that after their song.

“Amazing!” Maria says when coming up on the main stage with the others, the audience cheering when SHINee, DBSK and the two members of 5 Pieces stands in a line on the stage. “The way you all cheered makes me think our seniors stole our concert!”

The audience screams loudly, because she is talking in Swedish and she seems jealous, but the audience screams so much to convince her that what she said isn’t true. Hannah looks to her right at their seniors, asking them to please introduce themselves, as they yet haven’t done so. Both groups do their usual greetings in Korean, then the audience is freaking out when they introduces themselves in awkward Swedish like they have been taught by the girls. Onew also impresses by saying he loves Sweden – in Swedish.

“Aren’t they just so adorable?” Maria is giggling, also going crazy. “When our seniors first heard that we are having a concert in Sweden, everyone wanted to come along. They are very busy, but they came all the way here to help us with our concert and to meet all of you guys.” She takes a pause of talking to let the fans scream. “Both DBSK and SHINee have been very helpful during our time in Korea, so I think this is a small beginning of us paying back; by inviting them to come here and have some fun. Weren’t their performances just now so cool?!”

Hannah leans her microphone out for the audience that answers loudly, Jonghyun following her movement though he doesn’t know what Maria just said.

Yunho says some words in Korean, talking about how much 5 Pieces have made them want to come to Sweden and that though their visit is short, performing at the concert will be a memory they will hold precious. It’s supposed to be just a greeting, so they don’t say much more than that before saying they will continue with the concert.

Hannah and Maria hurries backstage to finish up for their performance while SHINee and DBSK just get off the stage and the {U Know} video introduction starts to play. This is the nervous part for Hannah – she is going to play the drums. By the drum set there are always extra drumsticks for her, but Hannah does not like that her wrist is hurting. Just holding the drum stick feels weird, like it is someone else’s hand that she got no control over. She got no time to think it through though as the video has ended and she is appearing on the stage, sitting behind the drums and she starts to play. She plays the drums simply first, getting the rhythm of playing and you can hear how the audience starts to cheer when they notice that she plays faster and faster, playing like no one have seen her play beside from at these concerts. She lifts her right hand up in the air, the drumstick rolling between her fingers and when she takes down the hand to start play again, the melody has changed. The other pieces make their appearance, the instruments joining in coolly and Emelia starts off.

*Yep,

It’s 5 Pieces

2012

[All] Let’s go!*

Maria’s clear voice is cool to the song, her voice sounding perfect to the live instruments. Behind the drums, Hannah forgets several of times to sing the parts the whole group is supposed to sing together, as she is focusing on playing and not throw away the drumsticks. Just as they begin to play a rock remix of [Once Upon A Time] and [Moon Child], she looses the left drumstick. She is actually wearing gloves that are supposed to help her have a grip of the drumsticks, which she has had for every concert as during rehearsals for the first concert in January since they realised she kept loosing the grip of them. But her left hand is helpless even with the glove on. Lucky her she just have to take another drumstick from the side, not having to bend to the side or anything to reach it but just pick it up and continue as if nothing happened.

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

Hannah gives out a deep breath when the song ends, hearing Carolina say something in Swedish. They have just finished performing [Can’t Hold Us Down], and it is time for a short talk, so the girls are heading over to the main stage. Julia is already there.

“What did you all think of our back-in-time performances?” Carolina asks the audience, as what they just performed were from their audition time. Hannah is parting her hair from her sweaty neck, trying to catch her breath while walking towards the main stage. She smiles and waves to some fans on the side.

“I think we got some heavy pressure on ourselves today because DBSK senior performed earlier, and we just performed one of their great songs,” Maria is saying. You can hear that she is trying to catch her breath too. She stops from walking and turns towards the audience, releasing a sigh before sitting down. “Is it okay if I rest a little now? Performing in front of all of you is just really breathtaking.”

She lays down on her back dramatically on the stage, the audience screaming in their highest and lightest voices because … who lies down in the middle of the stage and says she will rest? Only Maria can make that work. Emelia comes jumping towards her, jumping right next to Maria’s head to make the leader scream at her. Emelia reaches the main stage, Carolina coming up there too.

“Did you guys enjoy watching our journey video?” Julia wonders. “It brings back memories, doesn’t it?” she looks at Emelia and Carolina who are on the main stage with her.

“Our audition,” Carolina brings up.

“Ya, hurry up!” Emelia sighs at Hannah and Maria who yet haven’t come up on the main stage. Hannah had stopped to help Maria up on her feet, and they are fooling around below the main stage now, which the fans though seem to enjoy. The girls hurry up to join the others to have the chat.

When the chat ends, a video intro introduces the ballad act and 5 Pieces during that video changes outfits backstage. Hannah comes up on the stage through a lift, just like the other members, each member appearing on different places on the main stage and the higher stage above the stairs. They are singing [Hate Me, Love Me], a ballad from their first album. It feels like such a long time ago since they recorded that song. It was back in 2009 they recorded it, and it was released that year too. Such rookies they were at that time, barely able to take on the weekly music programs in South Korea, and now they have been able to go beyond Asia, all the way to Sweden. Hannah and Maria walks down the stairs at the end of the song to the main stage, 5 Pieces standing in a line – meters between them – and the next song is [Her Man]. Two years ago that song was recorded, together with the two friends from SHINee. Jonghyun appears on the stage, standing between Emelia and Carolina, Key also coming up on Julia’s left side.

The mood is perfect. For every song, whether it is pop or ballad, the mood is quickly caught at the concert. The girls have been dancing wildly for their charismatic pop songs; they have been running and jumping around to the cute and fun songs and now they are doing well with the ballads. Jonghyun and Key help them out with this song, helping the girls out to give different voices to the melody, and it sounds beautiful. Though it sounds beautiful, Carolina’s favourite is the next song.

5 Pieces are sitting down on different levels on the stairs for the next song, beautifully singing the song [From Different Worlds]. It is Carolina’s favourite ballad at the moment during the concert because the girls are sitting there, looking beautiful and singing beautifully and the whole arena is filled with this amazing purple ocean from their fans and the ocean is moving back and forth as the fans are waving their hands in the air to the melody. She loves to sit there in the stairs, being able to look at the members while performing, seeing how all of them are so into the song, their voices are beautiful. Towards the end of the song the girls are standing up, doing the final high tones before Emelia ends the song by asking in English *will you always love me?*

The melody fades away, the cheers from the audience goes higher and the lights goes out on the stage just to come back on a few seconds later, 5 Pieces now standing in a formation to perform the next song. Just like Emelia ended the ballad, she begins this song in English; *Baby, baby my boy*. Everyone knows that song. The response the first seconds are insane and the girls on the stage can just smile brightly, dance and do their performance of [One and Only] – their only English song. The song is performed on the main stage from beginning to end; the girls acting cuter than they probably have done before because for some reason Hannah can sense some awkwardness from Maria. She got no idea of what it is for, but she got her own problem at the moment with her aching back and wrists.

The song ends and 5 Pieces run backstage to change while their {Fierce Ladies} video is being played. The moment coming backstage, Hannah hears Carolina mention that Maria had cried during their ballad performance.

“I didn’t cry like… serious cry,” Maria is explaining, “but it was a very emotional performance.”

“And we haven’t even reached the finals yet,” Emelia chuckles. Maria hits her on the arm. All of them are sensitive, telling each other to not cry at the concert – but they all know they will cry sooner or later. They hurry up to change, laughing on their way back to the stage, still talking about Maria’s emotional outburst. Though it wasn’t much.

After two more songs, Hannah is up with her solo song [Crazy In Love] by Beyoncé. The doctor is by her side when she has changed clothes, Hannah still pulling in the top as she knows it will go up. Just for today’s concert – and tomorrow’s concert – she has taken on this butterfly fake tattoo that she had for her solo promotions earlier in the summer, so it would be good if the top now would reveal some skin. But she is awkward now when she isn’t on the stage. He asks her where it hurts, how it hurts… She wants to say it is okay, but her back feels so uncomfortable that just bending forward makes her want to just lie down. And that is not good when having a performance. Usually when her back hurts she doesn’t take much notice of it because of the adrenaline when being on the stage, so that she is constantly thinking of it now is going on her nerve and she thinks of the warnings her doctor have told her. What if her body would just fall apart? The way she feels now makes her worried that it might actually happen. She doesn’t know how much strength she has left in her body.

It’s loud backstage, staff rushing Hannah to head to the stage while the doctor is about to stop Hannah from stepping up on the stage. He is deadly worried, but she got the staff rushing her.

“She got to step up on the stage,” someone says.

“Hannah, it’s your choice,” the doctor puts it all on her. “You say it hurts, you don’t know how serious it is; will you take the risk of loosing your whole life for tonight’s performance?”

But the staff is pulling her, and Hannah is suddenly standing on the stage, the audience loudly screaming because of the song playing and just hearing the music, Hannah forgets about her back, her wrist, the doctor and her future; because this is 5 Pieces night in Sweden, and they will make it the best night ever for everyone in the audience.

Backstage, Maria is busy getting ready for her own solo song that is after Hannah’s when she hears the doctor tell Manager Lim that he need to make Hannah sit down. Her ears are suddenly like a cat’s, listening from a meter’s distance in the noisy room.

“What, what?” she asks in a loud voice, being busy getting help to take on her shoes. “Appa, what?” She puts her hand up for a question when he looks at her, but Manager Lim just shakes his head and grimaces. Maria grabs Emelia’s arm when she is passing by, asking her to ask Manager Lim what the problem is. Emelia tells Maria to just focus on getting ready because it is her turn up next, but Emelia still walks up to confront their manager who pretends to be busy.

“You idiot, tell me what’s wrong or I will screw up big time on the stage!” Emelia threatens him, not caring that he is a polite Korean – and he knows that so it doesn’t make him angry.

Manager Lim sighs, takes her arm to not let others hear. “The doctor is worried about Hannah. Her back is hurting and her wrist too; he thinks she is reaching the limit.”

Emelia doesn’t like to hear that. She has been thinking that the biggest problem this week in Sweden would be about families, since Hannah is on bad terms with her family, Emelia was happy to see her own mother being all motherly towards her, but never did she expect the doctor to start making them all worried about Hannah’s condition. Emelia gets furious when hearing her manager say that, because she thought all the talk about Hannah’s condition was fading. She is standing there, waiting while Hannah and Maria changes positions so Maria is performing flawlessly her solo song and Hannah comes backstage to get dressed for the next song. She is confronted by Emelia first, who has been waiting for her.