Chapter 27

Youngest of Pieces - [Black & White] (7)

A pair of gray Velcro high-top Sneakers imported from Hong Kong followed by a pair of slim-fit floral pants in colours like green, red, yellow, white and blue in a big mix. A very slim orange belt is visibly under the white thin and light fabric v-neck t-shirt that is tugged in lightly at the front while the rest of the t-shirt is hanging out over the pants. It is a very soft and stylish look; the wrists have a simple collection of black and silver bracelets on the right and on the left it is a white watch, while the nails are in royal blue. The long blonde hair with coloured white tops has been lazily put up loose and messy at the back with several of locks waving down her shoulders and by the sides of her face. It is the kind of style that if you saw it on the street, you would turn your head to admire it, while on the stage it would make you loose your head over how simple yet totally stunning it is. The shape of her body is gloriously pulling up the outfit, the thin fabric of the t-shirt makes people imagine it is transparent though you can’t see through it at all.

Hannah smiles when seeing the camera filming her from her feet up to her head and she walks up to the camera-man filming for ‘Life of Pieces’.

“We are waiting to start the recording of our song [-erase you-],” Hannah explains innocently. “The outfit is very … simple, for this song. I’m awkward wearing it though.”

She laughs, seeming to be in a good mood. It’s actually her first time wearing floral pants, and wearing a white t-shirt is always embarrassing for her. The room backstage is crowded with members and staff, some guests too. Manager Lim’s wife is currently standing outside the room, talking to her husband, but she has given a motherly comment and support to the girls, f(x)’s Krystal and Amber have just left the room too to go greet the girls in Miss A. Hannah smiles to the camera before hurrying to the table to put on the ear-piece. Everyone is getting ready for the stage; drinking water, checking the choreography, making sure their clothes is like they should, put on ear-piece and simply do things they normally do for a performance.

“Are you nervous?” the camera-man asks when walking up to Julia.

She nods, showing a shaking smile. “I’m so nervous that I couldn’t even eat breakfast correctly. The food got stuck in my throat. But I think … if we do this performance well, I think the rest of the weekend will be easier to do. I can’t wait to go out and meet our fans waiting.”

Maria’s voice is heard across the room when she asks where her shoes are, and a few minutes later they all head out to the stage. f(x)’s Krystal and Amber are in the corridor by that time, doing high fives and wishing them good luck. For [-erase you-] comeback stage on Music Bank, the stage has been prepared to look kind of like a street. It has so many signs and colours, the back having buildings and it has been amazingly prepared by the staff that. The group has already pre-recorded [Black & White] for today’s music program, which they filmed in some kind of warehouse that make it look really cool, and [-erase you-] will also be pre-recorded with a different concept and style at the actual music program stage. Though the stage has been changed to look like a street today, it will like different later for the other artists.

When 5 Pieces makes their appearance by the side of the stage, the fans sitting in the audience are screaming their lungs out. Hannah holds on to her microphone with both hands to her stomach, her face expression is nervous and she can’t take the courage to look at the fans. She follows her members, waiting by the side of the stage before they are told to go up and prepare for the performance. While Hannah has her white t-shirt and floral pants, the other members wear different outfits; Maria has a pair of fitting black jeans and a white shirt nicely tugged inside her pants; Emelia is wearing a pair of distressed low crotch jeans, a tank top and half closed shirt and a leather jacket, being dressed for the street; Carolina has a very cool outfit with a pair of short shorts, a red top under the khaki green grommet accent shirt, having some sort of light beige coloured cloth stringed together at the end of the shirt by her waist, letting it hanging around her like a rag and down over her thighs, also having a street style like Emelia while the last member Julia is wearing a pair of shorts, a long white top and a camouflages blazer in khaki green. All of them look good with individual styles for the performance, their fans calling it out for them.

Only when taking a line on the stage, Hannah faces their fans for the first time at this comeback. She looks nervous and cute, bowing when they do their group greeting. The fans are excited, Hannah can feel her members being excited too, and she herself is that too, but she is at the moment mostly nervous. She lets like always her member talk the most, conversing with their fans who are shouting and asking questions before the music is starting.

Maria waves when she wants the girls to gather around, waving at the dancers too. Everyone gathers, the ladies with her hands on top of each other and the dancers just leaning against their shoulders to hear them talk. Hannah holds her microphone by her back when leaning forward with the others. “Let’s do our best today, and let’s show them the power of our practicing,” Maria shortly says; “who are we?”

“5 Pieces,” they all answer and Hannah can now feel her heart beating faster. It is not the nervousness making her blood rush; making her heart beat like this, it is the excitement of that 5 Pieces will perform a new song. It is the waiting she can feel; she smiles when looking up at the others, everyone feeling the excitement and energy growing within them just when hearing the same words they always say before a performance. Maria gives a huge smile, thinking the same.

“WHO ARE WE?!” she bursts out so loudly over the sudden energy inside her and the ladies, the dancers and even the fans who had heard all shouts out together; “5 PIECES!” and the hands flies up in the air. The fans, sitting down with their purple light-sticks or balloons and individual placards that read out different things, all lifts up their hands to the sky too (they all know this is 5 Pieces’ way to cheer before a performance) and when Hannah turns around she smiles and bites her lip because the sight of the fans is really good. Some of them scream when she looks at them and she waves happily.

They take their positions, the fans shouting and when the music starts, the noise from their fans gets louder. A fan-chant has been prepared, and the fans are using it strongly. It feels like a long time since 5 Pieces performed this close to fans before, especially with a new song. Performing is always easier with the support of fans.

The moment the song comes to an end, Carolina touches Julia’s arm. The two of them go through a part in the choreography that they both felt insecure in; it is just the insecurity of bumping in each other, so Carolina wanted to go through it to tell Julia that she can lift her leg higher to not step on Carolina. They then follow the others to the side to decide if they will record it again or not, but of course they will do it again. Since some things must be fixed on the stage before they can record for a second time, Carolina is approached by their ‘Life of Pieces’ camera that has been filming from a distance.

“It’s like seeing our members with new eyes,” Carolina is smiling, talking loudly because it is a lot of noise from fans and staff around her. “We were stiff at the first recording because we aren’t that familiar with this kind of song, so we have to do it again. But of course we have to do it a second time, we are never satisfied. But we are doing well. Our fans are cheering us on and we are gaining more confidence for this comeback.”

Meanwhile, Maria is conversing with their fans. She had heard someone sitting in the audience ask if 5 Pieces had received the energy drinks from them backstage, and Maria is fast to say they have received it, giving the thumbs up happily. They record the song again, this time more comfortable as the first time was very stiff. The audience is as loud as ever, giving endless support. The girls look happy on stage, focused on their performance and concept but still they look happy. They are finally able to show what they have practiced; standing in front of their fans and with their loud cheers they gain the confidence of doing their best. Also watching backstage is DBSK, who currently is promoting their own song [Catch Me]. They watch 5 Pieces’ recording on a screen in the corridor, looking serious and observing as they will give their comments about it later.

The song [-erase you-] starts off with a piano intro. Everyone on the stage is standing spread out in groups. The girls have each a male dancer on her side, everyone standing in different positions according to the choreography and when the piano intro starts off everyone starts to slowly walk to the piano sound. Their positions are being changed in the piano intro, walking to the next position. Carolina is the first to sing; she and three of the dancers are the only ones dancing a little on the side of them all, her voice is like hitting the words like it should be.

*Like a shadow, you always appear on the hidden places

As if you were a spy, never let your eyes off me, no, not once*

She sings her part, her head held high and the choreography follows the story of the lyrics; she and the dancers moving in synch. The same as on the other side, Hannah starts to dance next, though with only two dancers and the others stop their steps;

*Like a wolf, you always know where I am, where I hide

As if you were a ghost, never let your eyes off me, no, not once*

The choreography is fast at times, emotional, and you have to move your body gracefully while letting your feet and arms work fast.

*As the times goes by, the more I try*

Carolina sings from the other side, the two of them crossing the stage while swiftly dancing to take each other’s positions, the dancers and Hannah moves faster than Carolina who keeps singing;

*It doesn’t matter, nothing changes

Everything stays the same, I can’t do anything about it*

The rest of the group and dancers have been waiting in the back, now taking a single step forward to appear between the focus of Carolina and Hannah who steps to the side in the choreography, letting Maria get the focus as she is at the front of that formation. Everyone dancing behind her and next to her follows her lead when dancing.

*I cry, cry, can’t you see the reason

For these tears to fall, it’s all your fault*

The chorus comes up next, the girls following one dance while the back-up dancers around and behind them does another, but yet alike.

[CHORUS, 5 Pieces] *I am tied up, the black walls of your heart is holding me

I don’t want to remember you, I don’t want you here

It’s suffocating, the deeper it goes

Your love is hurting me, it’s suffocating me

I just want you gone, so don’t come back

I will erase you*

[Julia] *That is love; you keep sending these weird messages

As if you knew everything, you don’t know, no, you don’t*

Julia’s part sounds like the first verse. She gets to shine as she was in the back and she gets to walk to the front between the other’s dancing on her sides, the audience screaming. Next up is Maria.

*All my troubles are solved with your interruptions

You are here, why are you always here?

My life is a prison, and you are the guard*

[Emelia] *I want you to leave me alone, leave me alone

It’s scaring, you are scary

I can’t take these calls, I don’t want to hear*

[Maria] *I try, try, can’t you see the reason

For this soul to fall, it’s your fault*

[CHORUS, 5 Pieces] *…*

*Help me, I can’t breathe*

Hannah sings, stepping forward with her hand to her chest, her voice and expression is helplessly asking for help. *This love is suffocating, I can’t live* she takes the next line while loosing some of the strength in her legs so she staggering.

[Julia] *Help me, I can’t breathe*

[Hannah] *Your love is suffocating, I can’t live*

[Carolina] *Say that you love me, that you will do anything for me

So leave me now, oh, oh~*

[Maria] *Who asked you to save me from life? Who asked you anything?

Now leave*

Maria sang her part with the only ones dancing around her Hannah, Julia and Carolina. The other dancers are in the back, and when Maria’s part ends, the audience starts to scream as the four girls steps to the side to reveal the dancers standing in a circle, facing the middle. Emelia is standing there, starting to rap in her dark voice.

[Rap, Emelia] *You trap me inside, you’re making them leave

I have no one left after all that you did

Let me leave, let me go, you are suffocating, you are*

As the cool rapper she gives ones of the dancers a hit on the shoulder, wanting to leave, but she takes a step back as he won’t budge, continuing with her rapping.

*The messages you leave only gets creepier

I already asked you to leave

Don’t try, try these stupid things, let me be, let me go*

At Emelia’s last line rapping, she throws out her hand in the air and the formation of the dancers breaks loose to prepare for the next part. One of the dancers just turns around to where Hannah is standing, the cameras focusing on her.

*My head spins around, the unsteady floor makes me fall*

She sings, putting her hand to her head while turning it for the first words, and when she sings the words after she holds on to the dancer’s arm while sinking helplessly to the floor – the other members on the stage also falls down on their knees on the floor.

*I don’t want this, I don’t want you*

Hannah sadly sings, leaning towards the dancer’s leg, her voice fading and the audience shouting so loudly over how it is like watching a musical.

[Maria] *It’s suffocating, the deeper it goes

[Julia] your love is hurting me, [Maria] it’s suffocating me* the two girls sings while they are being helped up by the dancers, the music preparing for the chorus again.

[CHORUS, 5 Pieces] *…*

[5 Pieces] *Erase you!*

[Maria] *I don’t want to remember you, [Julia] I don’t want you here*

[Carolina] *I will erase you, so don’t come back*

The music stops after Carolina’s part, the girls all turning their heads to the sides. The audience seems to hold their breaths, hearing Emelia and Hannah sing *I want to erase you, I will erase you* as the music is returning and they starts to do the chorus once more for the final.

[CHORUS, 5 Pieces] *I am tied up, the black walls of your heart is holding me

I don’t want to remember you, I don’t want you here ([Maria] No)

It’s suffocating, the deeper it goes

Your love is hurting me, it’s suffocating me

I just want you gone, so don’t come back ([Hannah] this isn’t love)

I will erase you*

[Julia] *Too far, you have gone too far

Is this the love you want?

[+ Emelia] No, I can’t take it*

[Carolina] *Leave me, I want to break free

This isn’t love, this isn’t what you want*

[Emelia] *Is this it? [Maria] I can feel the end coming near,

This is the end, this is how deep it goes*

The song ends with the girls doing the final dance move in a line, letting their hand move down to the side.

After finally being able to finish the pre-recording, 5 Pieces bows and waves to their fans when heading off the stage, also making sure to thank their fans for their support and hope they will meet each other later too. They leave their microphones with the staff, saying they have worked hard in the usual polite phrases and after that they have gotten back to their room, they try to dry the sweat and fix the outfits and make-up and hair as they have a lot of interviews to do before the music program is starting. Hannah is waving her t-shirt to not let it get damp because of the sweat on her back, and she holds the side of the t-shirt to not reveal her stomach when stylist Yong Hyun lifts up the back of the shirt lightly to reach under with a napkin to wipe away the sweat. She is aware of the cameras for their program filming around in the room, hoping none is taking notice of her, but that thought disappears when seeing someone by the door.

DBSK has come over to them, being greeted loudly by the girls in the room. Since 5 Pieces’ first interview won’t be yet, they get to rest and gather strength in the room – also getting to eat and drink some – and DBSK keeps them company while waiting for their rehearsal and the room is filled with talking. F(x) has already left before DBSK came over; they took a picture together before the recording. 5 Pieces’ gets to go through what they have recorded as their manager had been filming on the side, and DBSK is there to give them advice. The video is being showed on the big screen in the room so it doesn’t matter where you are in the room, you can still watch it, and most of them stands or sit in front of the screen and looks at it, 5 Pieces and DBSK focusing on it.

The ‘Life of Pieces’ camera-man asks DBSK if they think 5 Pieces did well at the recording and Yunho is the one answering, of course. Yunho had turned around to the camera to answer while the others are slightly showed watching in the background; you can catch Changmin explain something with the formation with his hands to Julia and Maria, talking of how they can move around easier as he know they have problem moving around at times when dancing.

“5 Pieces always do well. Though they don’t need our advice anymore because they already know everything and their performances are really great, we still give it to them… 5 Pieces doesn’t seem to mind, so we keep happily showing up,” Yunho says in his older brother and senior way. “Their comeback this time is totally great too. Watching them perform, I keep being proud over them.”

Changmin gives a laugh in the background over him and Yunho smiles at the camera, not thinking he should say much more. Hannah only watches half of the video as their manager is gathering their album on the table for the girls to sign. Emelia writes first and Hannah sits down next to her to write after her. The album is cool and the girls’ starts off with giving a sign at the front before opening the album to write something to the one who will get the album on one of their individual pictures. The albums they are signing now are to other artists performing today; Ga-In, K-Will, Jewelry, FT Island, Seo Inyoung, Block B and more. When Hannah and Emelia have signed one album, their manager takes a pen and the album over to the other girls to write too.

“Remember who it is for ladies,” Manager Lim tells them while observing them signing the albums. Yunho sits down on a chair next to the table Hannah and Emelia are sitting by, leaning forward a little to see the girls write.

“Will we get one too?” Yunho wonders, glancing up at Manager Lim who fatherly says that DBSK of course will get one – Maria heard in another part of the room that she will not let the day pass without handing the album to DBSK senior; later they even take a picture with DBSK of the copy their seniors have gotten. “I have a request then; write something in Swedish for me.”

“Deal!” Julia agrees and Yunho laughs, wanting to know what they will write for him.

They sign most of the albums before getting a final touch on their look and they have to go to another room to start the interviews.

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

Music Bank has already started when 5 Pieces are done with all the interviews. They don’t have time to greet anyone backstage before they go in to a room for a brief introduction for the music program that the viewers shouldn’t change the channel because later, 5 Pieces will make their comeback performance – and no one would want to miss that. After that is done, all they have to do is wait for the end, so now they grab their albums and go around handing it over to other artists, greeting and meeting the rookies for the first time and meeting artists they have met before and they exchange albums with some too.

“Hello my lovely cuties!” Maria gives Jaejin a friendly hug when the girls meet up with FT Island. “What is it I am hearing, are you having your goodbye stage on our comeback stage? Then we won’t get to have any fun!”

She gives Jonghun a hug, leaning back and staring at his chest and arms. Jonghun laughs and gives her another hug, liking the attention she gives him. Maria always speaks her mind, and now too she says that the boys are getting too muscular – also asking why Jaejin doesn’t look like Jonghun with this you-should-look-more-like-him tone in her voice. Hannah just smiles, knowing none of them gets hurt by her words and comments and she avoids the topic to greets the boys quietly. Honggi walks up to her after that he has been loud and talkative with the others, touching his hair to ask her what she thinks of his straight hair style today.

“I prefer the headband thing,” she admits and laughs when he grimaces over her answer. “I like it, Oppa, it looks good on you.”

“It does, doesn’t it?” Honggi smiles brightly, looking proud. Hannah shakes her head with a smile over his confidence. It has been a while since they all met, so the girls stay in their room the longest, chatting and taking a picture together with the album. Hannah takes an aegyo picture with Minhwan too that he uploads on twitter and she re-tweets; taking aegyo pictures together is a must for these two when meeting to show off their magnae power with these pictures. The others make fun of it though.

“Our song [Black & White] is already on 14th place,” Hannah announces to the camera when coming back to the room. She seems so happy because the album was released two days ago. Emelia walks up next to her, nodding with her eyebrows raised. The show is coming to an end and 5 Pieces is last up. Since they pre-recorded both their performances, [-erase you-] will be showed and then when [Black & White] airs on TV, all the artists will head up on the stage to prepare for the ending. While standing on the side of the stage, lining up with the other artists to wait to get up, a staff member comes up to them to give them shocking information. Ga-In’s song had been pushed to third place on the music chart by 5 Pieces’ song [-erase you-], so the girl-group making a comeback is up for first place against PSY’s [Gangnam Style].

So when they are on the stage, at the front for the cameras to capture them, the girls are constantly smiling. Fans seem to know their song is up for first place, so they keep shouting for the girls and Hannah is hugging Julia’s arm – hiding a little behind her nervously – and she cutely waves to the fans. She can’t stop smiling, putting her chin on Julia’s shoulder and listens to them talking and she smiles widely when the ending starts. The MCs in the middle at the front, having all the artists behind them on the stage, starts off asking the chart to show who the winner of this week will be.

Hannah is just happy to be back on stage with her members. The cheer of their fans, if they win or not with these songs, the cheers will make her happy no matter what. It’s their comeback day, it’s not like they will get first place on the music program chart already. And before 5 Pieces can reach first, shouldn’t DBSK get there? She really like their song, and since it is DBSK she is even surprised that they aren’t first yet. She looks at her members, peeking out by Julia’s shoulder. They all have this anticipation; not the anticipation to come first, but the anticipation to this weekend and meet their fans with this comeback. They are looking forward to it now, to perform their songs and to meet their fans, and all they want is to show everything they have prepared. All they want back is the love from their fans, which they can definitely feel and hear now when the winner is being counted and Hannah stands up straight, taking her arm out of Julia’s, prepared to look polite to PSY when he wins for the ninth time. But PSY stopped performing a long time ago, so he isn’t present.

“5 PIECES with [-erase you-]!” the MC sounds shocked too and what they say after that when turning towards the girls, Hannah can’t hear in the loud roar from the audience. Julia turns around so she almost knocks out Hannah of her balance, but Julia embraces her around the neck so strongly that Hannah gets really emotional – because Julia normally doesn’t do that. Carolina gives off a weird laugh when receiving the microphone to say something; Maria getting the trophy and a rookie steps up to give flowers to Emelia.

“To receive first place like this on our comeback stage, we are really thankful,” Carolina starts off politely, looking really happy. “There are so many people to thank… First our fans and families, thank you so much…”

Carolina takes down the microphone to take a deep breath, feeling her whole body whelming up in feelings, and Maria is smiling widely next to her when she continues. Hannah and Julia stands next to them too when they have stopped hugging, all of them unable to hide their expressions when giving the brief speech of people to thank and they take a step back when they are done to let the MCs finish. When turning around to the other artists, Hannah with her huge smile sees most of the artists heading off the stage while bowing and her smile just can’t get wider when Minhwan is running up to her with small fast steps, his face chining up in a bright smile and she laughs when he embraces her. It is a fast hug, as he wants to congratulate all five of them before being pushed off the stage. She gets a high five from Seunghyun and a high five and a half hug from Honggi who is rushing by her to get off the stage. Hannah gets a microphone and turns to the audience by that as the encore has started, but she turns back towards the others when noticing she has forgotten something and she quickly bows politely to DBSK who haven’t gotten off the stage. She bows to both Yunho and Changmin and almost hits Changmin on the chin as he had tried to give her a hug while she was busy bowing to him. Apologizing, she barely hears him congratulate her and they smile at each other because of that.

It all happened so quickly. The stage is suddenly empty beside from 5 Pieces and the dancers, and Hannah misses her time to sing her first verse as she by that time is busy laughing and she gives off some kind of excited scream – not in the microphone – when running up to her members who are gathering. They hug each other quickly and Carolina keeps her arm around Emelia while singing her part next. Hannah is shocked. She can’t believe what has happened. It looks like Julia didn’t either, as she, for the first time, is the one crying.

“Why are you crying?” Hannah gives her a hug, laughing in her ear. She is so happy that she can’t stop bouncing. She takes Julia’s hand in hers to turn to the audience and give them a big bow. They all sing and jump around, at times trying to catch their formation in the choreography but failing and deciding to just continue to focus on the singing and thanking their fans and basically celebrating their comeback and their win and that they are all together to celebrate it. The trophy is during the song given out between the members. By the time the song ends Hannah is holding the trophy to her chest and the group gathers for another group hug, screaming out just because they still have energy, unable to grasp what has happened. They turn to the audience in a line, bowing and thanking uncontrollably. When getting off the stage, Hannah waves her free hand wildly and she even stops to wave some more to them, but Emelia puts her arm around Hannah and waves to the fans while they keep walking.

They keep bowing when heading to their room and the moment they get in there, they take a picture with the trophy and ask why Julia had started to cry. Julia looks happy with the trace of tears in her eyes and she just tells them to take the picture. They all group in together, slightly embracing each other with happy faces and when their manager says he will take the picture, Carolina shouts out ‘5 Pieces’ and when the picture is taken it is of the girls actually pushing Carolina away. They have to retake the picture, still bring in great moods.

“Let’s go Pieces, LET’S GO!” Yunho enters the room while clapping his hands to the rhythm and the room is more cheering when DBSK enters. Yunho takes out his hands, waving his fingers for the girls to come in for a hug but the girls keeps a distance, standing in a line to bow politely to him. Changmin stands next to Yunho, holding his arms crossed over his chest in a mighty manner. They are all fooling around, overwhelmed with the comeback and winning and they just have this feeling that they are back.

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

Headline 19th: [Black & White] Is On Most Viewed List On YouTube After A Day!

Headline 19th: 5 Pieces Makes A [Black & White] + [-erase you-] Comeback On Music Bank

Headline 19th: [Black & White] Wins On Music Bank Comeback!

Headline 19th: 5 Pieces’ Gets Congratulated By Idols & Friends On Their Win & Comeback