Chapter 57

Youngest of Pieces - [Black & White] (7)

“I have a worry too,” Carolina puts her hand up in the air, getting the attention. “Or it is something that I worried about before. At another program we talked about the solo activities that we had earlier this year; with some members going into acting, others releasing solo songs. For me, I used to text and call my members every day when we didn’t meet, and at that other program they said they didn’t like it.”

“Ah…” Julia remembers and Maria says that Carolina never actually said anything when she called them at that time, she just repeated the same question ‘what are you doing now?’.

“But at that time,” Carolina continues, not bothered by her members interrupting, “I was very worried 5 Pieces would break down.”

“Break down?” the MCs sounds surprised to hear those words and the members seem surprised too. Hannah’s eyebrows go up in surprise and she looks at Carolina sitting in the middle, not really understanding where these words come from. But then again, during their solo activities, Hannah didn’t meet her members all that much because first she was busy filming for her drama and have [I CRY] activities; followed by her [Butterfly] activities and then she released her book. She does some wondering face-expression when thinking back a few months.

“Yes, break down. Because Emelia was in Japan, Maria and Hannah were usually in Korea but they were always so busy, so the only person I met was Julia – and most of the time the two of us didn’t really meet too because she would be off meeting someone when I didn’t have a schedule. It felt like we were gliding apart during that time, and whenever we met we would have disagreements,” Carolina explains but Julia is shaking her head.

“Whenever Carolina asked me if I want to do something with her, her plans were to sit at home and not do anything. And I wanted to go out and do something,” Julia corrects.

Carolina’s face-expression shows that she is right. “But still. Whenever we met we would have disagreements and I got worried we would break down. So I tried to contact them as much as possible. To show that I care for them.”

“You didn’t call me,” Hannah pouts.

“I called, you just never answered…” Carolina pouts back.

“But if the members were busy, they can’t answer the phone,” the MC mentions and Carolina gives a sulky face as she knows that is also true, but she still wishes they would answer. “But did the other members think you were breaking down as a group or was it just Carolina’s own thoughts?”

“Honestly,” Maria starts off, her long arm leaning out from her leg when resting her elbow on it. “It was never that extreme that we thought we would break down or something, but I admit we had a lot of different activities and we fought a lot when we met. But I think it was more that she took more notice of the fighting at that time than usually because we didn’t meet every hour every day, so it became weird to be around the members.”

Hannah is nodding, understanding what the leader is saying and the others seem to understand it too. In the end, they just say Carolina was too bored at that time (she had too much time to over think) and while Carolina is saying she maybe missed her members too much, Julia says she has something again.

“But this is an apology,” Julia starts off saying and then puts her hand on Hannah’s leg (she has to stretch to the side a little as they are sitting a bit apart), “An apology to Hannah.”

The youngest is biting her lower lip, wondering what she possibly could want to apologize for on screen.

“Around the same time Carolina was talking about – earlier this year – Hannah had a lot of solo activities. She was the member who did the most things and she was constantly busy with something,” Julia starts saying, “and, at that time… Hannah doesn’t know about this, but at that time I was really jealous of her. I was so jealous of that she was busy every day and she got really popular too, like everything she said and did got attention, so…”

Hannah’s face-expression gave a change when hearing the word ‘jealous’, but after hearing her talk a little Hannah realises something and she gets a big surprised, remembering expression. “Is that why you were angry at me?!”

Julia looks so busted when getting the question and she looks at Hannah with big eyes. While these two are looking at each other, Emelia simply explains for everyone that there was a time where Julia was angry at Hannah without a reason, and apparently she was jealous. The MCs gives their comments, mentioning that Hannah really have done a lot of things this year and saying that even 5 Pieces get jealous of each other. Julia grimaces a little by those words.

“She wouldn’t talk to me because of that,” Hannah on the other hand can’t believe it, “and that made me angry.”

“So they were angry at each other over nothing,” Maria adds.

“And I wanted to apologize for that,” Julia is fast to say to not let anyone else say something, “Because I was jealous of Hannah having a lot to do while I was just sitting around at home.”

“With the plants,” Emelia jokes and laughs when Julia nods, not saying against it.

“Do you forgive Julia for being jealous and angry over your schedule, Hannah?” the MC wonders.

Hannah glances at Julia, pouting out with her lower lip. She looks doubtful – knowing how TV works – but then smiles and shrugs her shoulders. “Sure.” They laugh at how simply she says it and Julia laughs with them, saying she didn’t expect such a simple answer but says she is happy it came out.

“But something that always is brought up when talking about Hannah is her goddess-like body,” the female MC brings up. Hannah feels like she could choke on something when hearing that. She doesn’t really know if she should smile or look angry. “I have heard so many different rumours over the past years about 5 Pieces’ diets to get in to shape that I am really curious to know how you do it.”

“Is it true that the agency forced you loose weight?” one of the male MCs asks, unable to hide his own curiosity.

Hannah shakes her head on that but then gets unsure. “I was told to loose weight, yes,” she says while wondering, “But they never forced me.”

“Hannah gave her life to practice,” Emelia mentions. “During the first two years in Korea, Hannah would always stay behind to practice on her own.”

“Before loosing weight, I never had the energy to practice and I would be exhausted after just singing a song without actually moving my body, and I knew that would be impossible if I wanted to perform with 5 Pieces. So rather than going to the gym, I found it more fun to practice at that time,” Hannah explains. “Which must’ve looked fun for others at times because I would just move around crazily until my body was aching and I was sweating and I would continue to move around.”

“Wow…” the male MC can’t hide to say and Hannah smiles at the reaction, not really thinking it is something to say ‘wow’ about.

“What were the members’ thoughts about it all? We all know that Hannah has been voted to have the best S-line in Korea, but for you who have lived with her through the weight change, what were your thoughts at that time?” the MC wonders.

“During the time Hannah was busy loosing weight…” Julia starts saying, “For me, she was very annoying with her up and downs, while when thinking back now she was really amazing because she would complain and complain about that she couldn’t eat this and she had to train all the time but then she would never miss going to the gym or overdo things at practice to get exhausted.”

“Living with her was a pain,” Emelia honestly answers, looking like she really doesn’t like the memory. “Hannah wasn’t allowed to eat certain things at first, and that meant the rest of us didn’t get to eat what we wanted either. If Hannah had a diet, we were most of the time put to do it too.”

“But you were always eating anyway,” Hannah whines.

“And you would sit next to me and drool,” Emelia tells her while nodding her head with attitude to Hannah, making them laugh and Hannah shyly smiles as she knows she did use to sit and watch the others eat; not drooling though.

Maria, on the other hand, compliments the youngest. “Hannah did everything and nothing to get this body. For everyone trying to loose weight; don’t starve. If you move around enough, you can eat whatever you want. That’s what Hannah does.”

“She eats and move,” Carolina jokes with a nod and it gets awkwardly quiet.

“Ya, why did you have to ruin my moment there?” Maria bursts out, standing up to complain at Carolina before turning to the others with a raised voice. “I have a confession! Carolina REALLY knows how to go on my nerves.”

The MCs gets a shock over her confession while the other girls just laugh and Julia is once again leaning towards Hannah while laughing.

Next segment is about their ‘Moon Child’ concert tour. For the broadcast it will be a short video with clips showing off the large stage and second long performance clips and the audience, though they won’t see it now. “5 Pieces have been travelling a lot for the concert, which means you stay a lot at hotels… Do you have a special roommate you share room with or any habits when staying at hotels?”

“I hate sharing room at hotels with the ladies,” Emelia is the first to say, and she looks like she really means it which surprises the MCs while Hannah just smiles over how honest Emelia sounds and looks. The MCs all asks why she HATES sharing room with the members. “All five of us sleep differently. One member need to keep the lamp on, another member can’t sleep if it isn’t dark, then someone wants to talk the whole night when we have an important concert the next day… I seriously hate it.”

Hannah gives out a sound. “Emelia, aren’t you the one who wants to talk the whole night before the concert?” she asks and then mutters for herself that she talks too much. Julia gets a surprise over Hannah’s words, and then laughs at it.

“So Emelia doesn’t share with anyone when you go abroad?” the MC wonders, because she seems to really not like it.

“I still share room with them,” Emelia answers in her dark voice. “I don’t have much of a choice to choose and it’s mostly just one or two nights where we just sleep. I can endure it.”

Hannah carefully puts up her hand when they are asked if any other member has a habit or something to tell about the topic. The MCs laughs at how cute she wants to get the word and the ladies tell her they aren’t in school. Hannah only starts talking when everyone has gotten quiet and the MC asks her what she wants to say. “Whenever we go overseas, I often share room with Maria,” Hannah starts off revealing and you can see how Maria’s mouth tightens. “She packs a lot, like if we are staying for two days she packs for a whole week, and whenever we come to the hotel she unpacks the things-”

“Hannah keeps EVERYTHING in her bag,” Maria interrupts.

“No, but normally when people unpack,” Hannah continues and with her saying ‘no’ Julia is giggling next to her, “normally when people unpack they make it look pretty and neat in the room; Maria puts everything however she wants so it looks like she has stayed there for a month already. I’m serious.” She laughs when the MCs are laughing at how she is explaining it. “She just has things everywhere. I never get it.”

“I don’t get Hannah either,” Maria butts in. “She uses something and puts it right back in the bag. She looks like she is going to leave in five minutes or something, always ready to leave.”

“You two don’t seem to match then,” the MC mentions.

“But Carolina is worse,” Julia brings up and Maria suddenly is nodding like crazy in agreement and Julia continues to talk in an excited voice, “Carolina uses the other member’s things.”

“You do that too!” Hannah laughs.

“But Carolina uses things you don’t normally borrow. And she doesn’t even ask, she just uses it as if it was her own,” Julia defends.

Maria claps her hands together one, joining in the excited conversation. “Julia always forgets to bring things so she keeps using the other member’s too. Once, when Hannah and I were sharing hotel room, Julia came over to ask if she could use … what was it? Ah, I don’t know what it was, but the other members didn’t want to let her borrow it so she came to us.”

“Carolina is still worse than me,” Julia doesn’t want to loose, sitting with her arms crossed over her chest and Hannah is laughing to her.

“Just for the notice, I am the only member not having any weird sleeping habits,” Carolina brings up.

“It’s just her sleeping image that’s uncomfortable at hotels,” Emelia says and Carolina looks sadly at her, failing with puppy eyes.

“5 Pieces’ very first concert ‘Moon Child’,” the MC starts saying while looking at his cards, “was sold out in each country and even was requested for more concerts, and fans from all around the world came to see. It must have been quite an experience to perform like that so … there must have been some fun things that happened?”

“So many fun things happened during the tour. Fans were really … how to say it … engaged, in the concerts from beginning to end and wherever we went, fans would sing along and cheer to each song,” Maria is answering.

“We had fun with the staff too,” Carolina adds, “during rehearsals and backstage we would be excited to have a concert and to be in just that country, and the staff was really … we joked around a lot. There was one episode at the beginning of the tour when we were in Osaka, and we had to speak in Japanese to the fans. I said something in Japanese, and the fans right in front of me was screaming loudly for me. I thought they were excited to hear me speak in Japanese so I said the same thing again, even more excited my self, but I found out that I had said the wrong word and they were actually correcting me…”

“You did the same thing when we went to Shanghai,” Emelia mentions. “It was a few days before my birthday, and at the hotel we were staying at there were some Chinese fans that wanted to give me some presents. Carolina asked me how to say ‘it’s her birthday soon’ in Chinese, which is ‘Zhè shì tā de shēngrì’. Carolina then turned to the fans and said ‘Zhè shì tā de shēng’ – she forgot to say the last ‘ri’ and the fans were correcting her mistake brightly, entertained by her mistake, but she kept saying the same mistake. She didn’t know that she was saying ‘It’s her raw’.”

They all laughs at it, especially the way Emelia pronounces ‘raw’ as if she is going to eat someone and Carolina admit that she makes the most mistakes when it comes to other languages but she speaks the best Korean among the members.

“I remember one thing that happened during our concert in Sweden,” Maria says. “Super Junior Senior had a concert in Paris a few months back, and fans threw condoms to them-”

“Fans threw up condoms on your stage?” the MC sounds shocked but Maria just tells him to be quiet as she continues.

“I felt that fans wouldn’t do the same to us, because … we aren’t Super Junior.” Easily explained. “But for some reason, I felt really happy to see candoms- ah, condoms, my fault; I felt really happy to see condoms being thrown up on the stage! I felt that our fans were really insane and I threw the condoms back to them… It was really a lot of fun.”

Hannah has been quietly laughing nonstop behind her hand when Maria has been talking and she starts to calm down while hearing them continue to talk about the Swedish concert. One of the MCs says; “I saw a picture of that Lee Sooman went to your concert in Sweden. He must treat you well to go all the way there.”

“Lee Sooman Teacher treats us very well, I think,” Julia mentions, “He likes Maria a lot. Whenever he sees her he is telling her he likes her voice and personality, just saying he hopes she can curse less. I got no idea of how he knows, but whatever language you curse in, he knows it is a curse word.”

“Hannah keeps looking at us strangely when we talk in Chinese,” Emelia randomly brings up, which Hannah can’t understand why as they were talking about Lee Sooman. “She keeps asking if we are angry or if we are cursing at each other.”

“I’m sorry,” Hannah kindly apologizes to the camera, which is meant for the Chinese people.

Julia remembers something. “There was this time … when we had dinner after one of our concerts. Members of EXO were there – EXO-M – so from a distance while we all were eating, talking and enjoying the dinner, I saw how Maria fired up! EXO-M’s Luhan looked like he was going to cry when she started to almost scream at them. Do you know what happened? … Luhan had translated what they were talking about to Tao who didn’t keep up with the conversation, so Luhan translated the Korean to Chinese for him. And Maria thought he was cursing at her because she misunderstood the Chinese. She freaked out but after clearing up the misunderstanding she felt so bad that she said she would treat them to some ice-cream, constantly apologizing.”

The others listening have tried to hide their laughter from the story and Maria has hided her face behind her hands, smiling too. “It was so embarrassing. I felt bad to EXO after that, but luckily they aren’t bringing it up when we meet…” she says in an apologetic voice.

“None of them dares to talk when Maria is around anymore,” Carolina jokes and for the first time during this recording, the others are laughing at her joke.

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

After finishing the interview, 5 Pieces prepares to perform the two songs they have prepared. First they perform their Elvis Presley cover, an acapella version of [Can’t Help Falling In Love] (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqv5b0UjR4g) that is very slow and pretty as an acapella version – the members are background vocals and fills out the parts for the other members at times.

[Carolina] *Wise men say only fools rush in

[Julia] But I can’t help falling in love with you

[Carolina] Shall I stay

Would it be a sin

If I can’t help falling in love with you*

[Maria] *Like a river flows surely to the sea

Darling so it goes

Some things are meant to be

[Emelia] Take my hand, take my whole life too

For I can’t help falling in love with you*

[Carolina] *Like a river flows surely to the sea

Darling so it goes

Some things are meant to be

[Hannah] Take my hand, take my whole life too

For I can’t help falling in love with you

For I can’t help falling in love with you*

When the recording for that song is done, they get backstage. Hannah and Emelia change clothes before they record for the next song the two of them have prepared; [Fly] originally by Nicki Minaj and Rihanna (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n71KUiWn1I). Emelia starts off being the only one on the stage, starting off with her dark voice rapping.

*Yo, yo

I wish today it will rain all day, Maybe that will kinda make the pain go away,

Trying to forgive you for abandoning me, Praying but I think I’m still an angel away,

Angel away, yeah strange in a way, Maybe that is why I chase strangers away,

They got their guns out aiming at me, But I become Neo when they’re aiming at me

Me, me, me against them, Me against enemies, me against friends

Somehow they both seem to become one, A sea full of sharks and they all smell blood

They start coming and I start rising, Must be surprising, I’m just summising

I win, thrive, soar, higher, higher, higher, More fire*

Hannah walks up, walking across the stage while singing her part, moving her hand lightly. While singing she walks up next to Emelia, the two of them fills out the stage with their presence and performance though they don’t really move around much at all.

*I came to win, to fight, to conquer, to thrive

I came to win, to survive, to prosper, to rise

To fly~~~~ To fly~~~~*

[RAP, Emelia] *Everybody wanna try to box me in, Suffocating every time it locks me in

Paint their own pictures then they crop me in, But I will remain where the top begins

‘Cause I am not a word, I am not a line, I am not a girl that can ever be defined

I am not fly, I am levitation, I represent an entire generation

I hear the criticism loud and clear, That is how I know that the time is near

So we become alive in a time of fear, And I ain’t got no uh-huh time to spare

Cry my eyes out for days upon days, Such a heavy burden placed upon me

But when you go hard your nay’s become yay’s, Yankee Stadium with Jay’s and Kanye’s*

[Chorus, Hannah] * I came to win, to fight, to conquer, to thrive

I came to win, to survive, to prosper, to rise

To fly~~~~ To fly~~~~*

[Bridge, Emelia + Hannah] *Get ready for it

Get ready for it

Get ready for it

[Emelia] I came to win

I came to win*

[Chorus, Hannah] * I came to win, to fight, to conquer, to thrive

I came to win, to survive, to prosper, to rise

To fly~~~~ To fly~~~~*

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++