Chapter 65

Youngest of Pieces - [Black & White] (7)

The clock is around nine in the morning on Saturday when 5 Pieces is at Gimpo airport on their way to Japan. The ladies have already done a live performance on a morning show at MBC of their song [Daze], promoting the song, and they are now heading to Japan for just two-three hours before they will head back to Korea to perform at Music Core. 5 Pieces is drawing attention at the airport, their hair and make-up done. The flight goes fast, and on the flight the ladies are practicing their Japanese to not make total fools of themselves on TV.

And four hours later, the group is at their second TV broadcast, doing an interview on the show before they will perform the song.

“I know these two,” the single male MC is joking with them, pointing at Hannah and Emelia.

“You are such a liar,” Emelia tells him in Japanese, making the audience laugh as much as him because of the way she says it. “You must know 5 Pieces!”

Emelia knows the Japanese humour well, and she is the best at joking on their level. The MC is slightly taken back by how good she is responding so he bows while backing to his spot, apologizing at the same time. Hannah is hugging the end of her sleeves with her fingers, the long-sleeve top is decorated with thin stripe buckle-details at every inch of the fabric but it looks great to her skinny jeans and ankle boots. She is uncomfortable in front of the cameras, as if what happened at the airport made her feel insecure, and she is happy that her members are doing well so she doesn’t have to fake a smile too much. For the whole trip in Japan, fans have been surprisingly crazy that even the MC had looked at them with a shocked face-expression and ended up asking if they even want to hear 5 Pieces’ voices. It made them laugh and the audience did get quieter after those words. It isn’t actually that hard to smile though, Hannah thinks.

“I’m actually a big fan,” the MC says, still talking about knowing 5 Pieces – he doesn’t want the viewers to misunderstand; worried they will take it the wrong way. He is finally taking his seat, getting in height as the girls sitting down. “And this is our first time meeting. But … who is that? Your new member?”

Sitting behind the girls is actually a translator, and by the MC mentioning that the girls burst out in laughter. This time it’s Hannah who explains that the woman is there to translate the Japanese for the girls, to help them to understand each other.

“But you don’t need it, don’t you?” the MC is using an exciting and loud voice to talk, and he points at Hannah. “I heard your Japanese is really good.”

“Ah, my Japanese is kind of good so it isn’t so difficult for me to understand, but we are five girls that need to understand,” Hannah simply explains and the MC does a face to the audience.

“That makes sense,” he comments on Hannah’s words and the girl smile.

“Hannah has those moments,” Emelia simply says, speaking simple Japanese and she makes them laugh again with the MC nodding while jokingly asking her ‘she does, doesn’t she?’

“It’s Christmas around the corner; what is 5 Pieces plans for Christmas and New Year?” the MC then asks them.

“We’ll be working,” Hannah is the one answering again and the MC looks shocked when hearing that, asking if she isn’t lying. “No, we will be working… it’s the truth. We are having a schedule on Christmas, but we will definitely celebrate it the whole day and then we will work on New Year too, and we will celebrate at the same time.”

“How do 5 Pieces work and celebrate at the same time…?” the MC looks confused and Hannah is about to answer, just opening and when she doesn’t say anything she looks at the other members for help.

“Since it is Christmas, we will dress out to look like … it’s Christmas,” Carolina says in Korean and lets the woman behind her translate. The MC laughs, asking if the girls will perform their new song while wearing a Santa outfit, making the girls laugh.

“It will more likely be that if we have a performance we will like add ‘merry Christmas!’ to shout to the audience and we will sing carols and such,” Hannah tries to explain a little better.

“Ahh…” the MC nods and then he laughs, pointing at Carolina, “You make no sense at all.”

“We all know that,” Emelia butts in again, “which is why you can ignore her.”

“Hey, I know what you said,” Carolina looks offended when turning to Emelia sitting on her right, and she is talking in Korean with this really offended face-expression that makes them laugh. “Don’t do that.”

“She is weird,” Maria simply finishes off for the MC, using simple Japanese that everyone knows off and the MC goes like ‘aaah, really…’ while Carolina leans over Julia sitting the other direction to hit Hannah on the leg, telling her to say something. That really makes everyone laugh, and some in the audience gives a scream too and the MC asks if Hannah is the one to lean on.

“Hannah only tells good things,” Emelia answers in Japanese.

“I never lie,” Hannah fills in with an angel’s face, and she continues to nod when the audience seems to agree. “Carolina is really weird, but she is really hardworking and kind.”

“I don’t think she works hard in learning Japanese,” the MC seems to not think she is hardworking but the audience disagrees with him in voices that goes louder until he stands up to apologize again. When Carolina gets that translated, she says she will say her latest Japanese question that she was taught, and she clears when preparing, looking straight at the camera.

“Am I your boyfriend or what?” she charismatically asks in Japanese, filled with such confidence and Hannah first tries to hold her laughter, she really does, but she ends up folding her body while laughing and Emelia even slips off her chair and the MC is standing up, clapping his hands wildly. Carolina doesn’t understand anything and both she and Julia turn to the translator to know what happened and Julia ends up hitting Carolina on the arm, asking why she said such a thing. Hannah sits down on her heels on the floor, holding on to the chair with one hand while laughing so much and she laughs even more when Carolina explains herself by saying Emelia taught her that line. Emelia is laughing so hard because it actually worked and everyone keeps laughing for a while before they starts to calm down. Nothing is better than being with 5 Pieces.

Hannah can take her seat, and she is smiling while looking out over the audience and hearing the MC trying to know why Emelia taught her that and you can clearly see how Hannah’s smile grows and her shoulders starts to move when she is holding in her laughter, and then she starts to slowly laugh so you can hear it until she is really laughing and Julia has started to laugh too and the MC starts to laugh when seeing the two of them laugh.

It’s a really fun recording, a lot of joking and laughing and they all know that when this airs, fans will probably be stuck to replay it because of all the laughing and making fun of each other and just that pure constant laughing from Hannah and Julia will be.

Still in their stage outfits, 5 Pieces heads to the airport to run back to Korea. They are in a great mood because the day has gone surprisingly well and they have gotten a positive reaction wherever they have gone. Fans are following them like tails, even coming to the airport where the girls gets such a positive energy from the fans that in the middle of the airport, surrounded by fans, 5 Pieces does rock-paper-scissor. And Maria is the one who looses. What does she do?

“Turn it on,” she says when waving a hand for the four girls that step to the side, their cell phones out. Their manager too has a camera out, and they starts to film, telling Maria to start. That girl really doesn’t get ashamed of having all attention. She has taken off her jacket to reveal her stage outfit, wearing sneakers though, and when knowing the cameras are filming she start to dance [Daze] without any music. Fans are screaming like insane when seeing that and though it is short, it is memorably and the girls are laughing and clapping their hands excitedly when she is done.

Hannah is jumping when they keep walking, laughing when Maria pushes her towards her to have an arm around her.

“Who is the most awesome captain?” Maria is proud over what she did and she waves around them proudly to the fans still cheering them on. Hannah just laughs. Later she waves too to their fans, happy to know that the girls will come back to Japan very soon.

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

Carolina steps up to the camera. She has washed off the make-up from the day, gotten out of the stage clothes to now wear a pair of pink sweatpants and a printed raglan-sleeve t-shirt in white with dark sleeves. She looks happy like always when looking at the camera filming up in the corner of the practice-room.

“We have ended our schedule and the time is now … sometime around eight.”

Behind her on the floor, the camera spots another member taking position. Emelia is seen through the mirror reflection sitting on the floor, but the person who just stepped to the middle of the room and is seen clearly behind Carolina through the camera is Maria. She is wearing a dark blue loose-fit cable-knit sweater and a pair of red skinny jeans to the sneakers, her long legs always showing off no matter what she is wearing and she is focusing her eyes on the mirror where she can see herself, and the leader starts to strangely dance when Emelia turns on some music. It wasn’t planned, Maria was planning on dancing to warm up and just at that moment the music starts playing. Carolina, still up at the camera, gives a laugh when seeing it in the camera monitor, and she turns around to go join in the strange dancing.

5 Pieces is filming for their ‘A Good Cause’ program at this Saturday evening. They had gotten a fan request of a singing event, so tomorrow it is planned that 5 Pieces will have a singing event where they will stand on stage and perform for their fans. It sounds very normal, because 5 Pieces spends almost every day performing on stage for fans, and just because of that the group has gathered to practice to try making it a little special. All members but Hannah is there as she is filming a video for one of the Gayo Daejun that is in a week from now, but about one and a half hour after the beginning of the practice, Hannah comes.

She is still wearing make-up and she has gotten dressed in a pair of dark jeans and a black ear-accent hoodie. Hannah is fast to catch up with what the other members have been doing; they have decided on what songs they will do and in which order, and now all they have to do is practice.

Dance teacher as well as choreographer Kim Ji Hwa is with the girls for a beginning, helping them to go through the four dance tracks chosen for the singing event. There are three cameras put up in the practice-room, then one that the girls can use to film on their own too, but that one is turned off on the side at the moment while the other three cameras are filming 5 Pieces practicing. When it airs, it will be like clips and fast forward to show that the girls really spent a lot of time in the practice-room; clips of them dancing to the different songs, of them sitting or walking around talking about if they should change a song or in which order to take it and also correcting each other’s mistakes. The airing will show that from the beginning right after the beginning of the practice, so in the beginning it will show four ladies and the teacher and then all of a sudden it is five ladies and one teacher until it is just five ladies that goes from the dance tracks to the ballads; they have decided three soft songs to perform.

A little tired by this time, Carolina steps up to the camera in the back corner again. In the background Hannah is singing and dancing pretty carefree towards the mirror and Maria’s voice is heard talking about the songs with the other two girls.

“It’s right now… close to midnight,” Carolina mentions to the camera, not in a loud voice but the camera captures her voice better than the other sound in the room because she is closer. “5 Pieces went from scratch to … now halfway through practice, and we will continue to spend a sleepless night in hope we can satisfy the event tomorrow. All of it is for you, Puzzle.” She ends it with throwing a bright kiss to the camera before she starts to sing when turning away, heading over to the other girls.

The girl-group are spread out in the practice-room, talking about the songs before they starts to try out their acapella version of [I Love You] that they are pretty confident in by now as they have been practicing it for almost a whole year. They practice an acoustic version of the group’s song [Take the key], which before Maria, Carolina and Julia did for their four year anniversary. This time it is the whole group, with Carolina playing the guitar. And the group also practises the Pussycat Dolls’ song [Stickwithu], and that song is probably what takes time to practice in the end because they need to sort out who will sing what parts, they need to constantly practice it and add harmony to make it sound better. They record themselves doing the song to then look through it to see if it is good.

Hannah and Julia are standing close to each other when they start to film with the other camera, Hannah holding it in her hand because Julia told her to. Hannah is still in her make-up, as she hasn’t gotten the time to go wash it off while they have been practicing most of the time. The girls look really tired; their hair hanging tiredly too and though Hannah is wearing make-up you can see the dark rings under her eyes starting to appear while on Julia they are clearly visible. Hannah is still the member whose dark rings rarely is seen and she now has her hood up to cover half her forehead, making sure both she and Julia gets seen in the camera.

“5 Pieces has just finished practicing for the event,” Julia is saying, “and while people might wonder ‘why are you practicing the whole night for such a small event’, we would rather want to say that every event is given a lot of practice and just this event was requested by fans, so we want to show only the best of 5 Pieces. We can do that, right?”

“We will do our best,” Hannah is nodding.

Julia glances at the clock on the wall. “It’s after two in the morning and we will head home to sleep for a few hours before our day will begin.” She says and hugs Hannah with her chin on Hannah’s shoulder. “We are tired and satisfied, so we will sleep. Goodnight. See you soon.”

Hannah and Julia together waves to the camera before Julia takes it to film the others saying their goodnights too while gathering their jackets and bags. Hannah walks to the side to pick up her things too.

The girls’ heads home to sleep, getting three hours before they head to the saloon to work the magic and then head to the music hall where over 2,500 fans will fit. In their make-up and hair done, wearing their own clothes, 5 Pieces does a rehearsal for the event before getting backstage to change into outfits and check their hair and make-up, prepare the last things while fans are starting to enter the hall. Cameras have been following them around just briefly backstage, now focusing more on the stage and the audience that is filling up the place.

Backstage is loud, 5 Pieces are singing to practice their acapella between the talks and they are reminding each other of things while preparing backstage until it is time to get up on the stage.

“Ladies!” Maria calls out to gather the ladies and five hands are put on top of each other, the dancers are around them too. “Everyone, let’s share our Christmas spirit for tomorrow with the fans that have requested this special event. We will blow minds as 5 Pieces and let us now go out there and have a lot of fun! Who are we?”

“5 Pieces!”

“Who are we?!”

“5 PIECES!” their shouts and throws up their hands in the air before heading to the stage.

The moment the group starts off performing [Daze] the fans that had been sitting down in the hall stands up and shouts and from beginning to end of the first two songs (+ [-erase you-]) the fans are really on fire, making 5 Pieces unable to hold their masks.

“Wo!” Maria breathes out in the microphone when the second song ends and they are going to do the greeting. Hannah looks at her right to her members when walking over to take her position, smiling over the cheerful audience and seeing how happy the members are. “How are you all doing today?” Maria asks the audience that screams loudly.

“Pieces of one!” Carolina screams out, throwing up her hand in the air before the group automatically does their greeting in chorus; “hello, we are 5 Pieces!”

They end with a bow and when looking straight, the audience is continuing to cheer them on. “Wow… really… you can think we haven’t seen each other in a while,” Maria comments over the wild reactions and the audience can’t help but to laugh. “The reason we are having this event is to record the tenth and final episode of KBS ‘A Good Cause’… Have you all watched that?” Loud screams over both finding out it is the final episode recording and also to prove that they have watched it. “And for the final episode we decided to do this event because twelve people in this hall have sent in the same request to ‘A Good Cause’ – for 5 Pieces to have a singing event.”

“You guys are screaming as if we are doing a whole concert here!” Carolina laughs when hearing how loud the audience is reacting to everything. They scream even more because of those words.

“If you are a little quiet, we can continue with the next song,” Julia mentions.

“And for the next song, you all need to listen well,” Carolina adds before Maria turns to look at the ladies on her left side, putting one hand on her hip while the other hand is holding the microphone by .

“What kind of music do you think is fitting for winter? I, personally,” she says the last part when turning towards the fans, “like to listen to ballads in the winter. Because it’s dark outside mostly the whole winter, it is cosy with ballads, right?” The audience shouts in agreement.

“Shouldn’t an acapella be more fitting?” Carolina asks and the audience kind of understands why they out of nowhere bring up the word ‘acapella’, so their screaming goes louder.

“Should we try an acapella?” Maria asks the ladies that all kind of agree.

“But you need to be quiet,” Emelia reminds their fans with a finger towards them. She nods when it gets quiet, the girls have already stepped closer to each other in a half circle towards the fans, and Carolina is the one starting off with harmony. Hannah follows in a bit lighter tone, then Maria and Emelia mixes their voices with the others and finally Julia finishes adding her voice to the harmony. And the audience did cheer when hearing 5 Pieces for the first time doing a live acapella, and yesterday on TV their first acapella was revealed on the talk show where they performed Elvis Presley’s song, so this is something completely new for their fans. Hannah keeps looking at Carolina, and Carolina gives her a hand motion to show for her to begin, and the youngest voice disappears as she takes a breath to start singing, matching the harmony of the other members. The melody is still the same from their pop song [I Love You], it is just an acapella version so it is softer and not as catchy thought Hannah sings almost the same as if it was the normal version, and fans are cheering along softly too.

*I giggle like never before,

I don’t know what to do

I blush like never before

I can’t, can’t control myself*

Maria starts to sing right after Hannah; Hannah joining in the harmony very simply while looking at her members.

*Look at me

Look inside my heart

My HEART is beating for you

Feel it pounding-* all five members sings it together; *hard so hard* and Maria continues alone with the harmony background;

*I love you

My heart belongs to you*

The whole group sings the chorus with their harmony, all in different tones to make it sound beautiful, and it makes Hannah smile when she looks at Julia who also is smiling. They all like singing the acapella like this, singing the chorus together.

*A MAN like you (wo)

I fall in love, love, love, love

Who I can trust (who I can believe)

I fall in love, love, love, love

A MAN for me*

[CHORUS 2, 5 Pieces]

*Someone to take care of me

[Julia] I lo- lo- love you

[5 Pieces] These words I kept for you

I love you; I lo- lo- love you*

[Carolina] *Look at me,

Look inside my mind

([5 Pieces] I fall in love, love, love, love)

My MIND is thinking of you (Who I can trust)

It’s only you, you and again you (Who I can believe)

I love you*

And the group finishes off in a long disappearing harmony; *I love you~* while looking at each other and the audience’s cheer rises loudly when it ends.

 Hannah takes two steps to get back on her position, laughing lightly over how fun it is to perform in front of their fans.

“You knew that song?” Maria sounds surprised, joking with their fans that just laugh and cheers. She smiles and a little quietly informs them that the song was [I Love You] from 5 Pieces second album last year. “We have practiced it the whole year. Did we do well?”

Of course the audience starts to scream that they did well, and Hannah bows to thank them. Julia then asks the girls what they want to do next, as if they haven’t prepared anything, and Carolina walks to the side to get a note from the staff. The girls are dressed in Christmas inspired outfits, not forgetting to have it in 5 Pieces’ style. Hannah is wearing a slit-back chiffon hem knit top in red, a black belt around her waist to keep the top revealing her bodyline and a pair of black skinny jeans to a pair of big sneakers in red and white, which the other members also are wearing beside from Carolina whose sneakers are based on their [Daze] promotion; light green sneakers.

“I want…” Carolina says when stumbling to take her position again, turning the note in her hand right so she can read from it. “When I say your name-”

“Hold it,” Emelia says and covers the note from Carolina, explaining for her that they need to tell their audience about the situation first. Emelia shakes her head at how Carolina had rushed.

“As we mentioned before, the reason we are having this event is thanks to twelve people in the audience. And to thank them, we would like them to come up here on the stage,” Maria explains while Emelia tells Carolina to be quiet. “So when we read out your name, please come up here.”

Twelve names are read out. Carolina might be the member who knows Korean the best, but she still messes up once so Julia and Emelia on each side of her also read out some names, and all twelve fans gets to come up on the stage where staff have been preparing chairs while 5 Pieces have been calling out the names. The chairs are taken out in a line over the stage, filling out the stage and while the twelve fans are slowly coming on the stage one after one, the girls helps them to take a seat. Hannah smiles when the third fan comes up on the stage, a female fan. She is covering and she is looking at Hannah with eyes Hannah thought only EXO’s D.O possessed. The fan is crying when looking at Hannah leading her to the right chair and even after sitting down she keeps crying that Hannah can’t really manage to walk away before asking if she is okay and if she wants a tissue. Hannah jogs over to the side in small fast steps to get a tissue from a staff member before she walks back to the girl. The fans didn’t seem to expect to have to go up on the stage, so all of them seem pretty shocked when they have taken their seats.

“Hello,” Maria kindly smiles to the fan sitting on the very right of the stage. The twelve fans are sitting on the chairs and the girls are continuing with the event. “What’s your name?” Maria asks and puts the microphone out for the fan to answer.

“Kang Min Dae,” the girl answers and starts to giggle, not really knowing if she should look at Maria, the microphone, the camera, the audience or somewhere else. Maria just smiles kindly at her, making it a little difficult to not look at her with shoulders rising in excitement.

“How old are you, Min Dae?”

“16.”

“And you wrote a request to ‘A Good Cause’, right? Do you remember what you asked?” Maria asks and the girl starts to giggle behind her hands, then waving her hands in front of her face to calm down a little.

“I asked … hi-hi, I asked if you could have a singing event where 5 Pieces would sing happy birthday to me because it is was my birthday on December 1st.”

“Wow, then we are a few weeks behind, aren’t we?” Maria asks when waving for the ladies to step up to the girl. They surround the girls, making sure the audience and cameras can capture the girl though and the girl is really starting to shake her hands when realising it is going to happen. “We’ll sing it in Korean. Because we are so awesome that we know how to sing in Korean,” Maria is joking and then counts down for the girls – as well as some in the audience – to sing the happy birthday song;

*Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Min Dae~ happy birthday to you~~*

When they are done, the girls go to the second person, smiling over how fun this is. Maria looks kindly at this male fan, stepping up on his right and asks him what his name is, how old he is and what he had requested. He had requested a hug from Maria, and of course Maria turns to the audience with a smile while opening up her arms to the seventeen year old boy. The audience is screaming and Hannah laughs. She is standing behind the fans on the stage, and she takes a step back when laughing.

There are different requests from the fans. An autograph or being sung a certain song, even to get to see 5 Pieces’ “random dancing”, which only Maria seemed to know what it was as she out of nowhere began to dance without music, one fan just had a question and another wanted Emelia to do her rap from [Black & White]. When reaching one of the male fans, he says his name is Lee Ji Wan – of course the ladies comment that it is a handsome name – and he is 27 years old.

“I would want to hear Hannah sing a part of the song [Get Your Kiss],” he says and Hannah steps forward to bow to the audience randomly before turning towards the boy with a serious face-expression. The ladies have been joking around a lot, making all fans scream or go insane, and Hannah is also doing that.

“You want to get my kiss?” she asks him and then laughs over what she said to apologize to the boy who thinks his heart is going to burst out his chest over just that question and the other ladies are joking and shaking their hands for people to not freak out. Hannah smiles when stepping up next to him. “Is it okay if I take my favourite part?” she asks him kindly and he is still trying to calm himself from her question so all he does is look at her. Just when she is going to start she stops as she is reminded of that she before only have sung this song staring in to Jonghyun’s eyes, no other man, and takes a step further away before she starts to sing.

*You ask me how to make me smile* she sings out in the microphone and the audience cheers because she just started out singing exactly the same as it always sounds to the music.

*Take me under control, own me just for the night

From head to toe, oh, give it a try

Baby I’ll give you a chance* and she adds in an ending with *Yeah, Yeah, oh~*

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

Headline 22nd: SBS Gayo Daejun Will Have A Special ‘Midnight Dream’ Performance

Headline 22nd: 5 Pieces Performs Elvis Presely’s [Can’t Help Falling In Love] At Talk Show Part 2

Headline 22nd: The Endless Practice For 5 Pieces Talked About In Talk Show

Headline 22nd: 5 Pieces Says Puzzle Gives Them The Most Support

Headline 22nd: Emelia Hates Sharing Room With Her Members?

Headline 22nd: Julia Was Jealous Of Hannah

Headline 22nd: 5 Pieces Talk About Funny Episodes From Their “Moon Child” Tour

Headline 22nd: Maria Apologizes To EXO-M For The Misunderstanding?

Headline 22nd: 5 Pieces’ Maria Dances [Daze] At Airport

Headline 22nd: 5 Pieces Performs [Daze] On Music Core

Headline 22nd: We Got Married Airs Episode 5 With Maria & Kwon Hyunsuk Visiting SM Town

Headline 22nd: 5 Pieces & SM Town Family Makes It Hard For Hyunsuk On We Got Married