Chapter 56

Youngest of Pieces - [Black & White] (7)

{Twitter, 5P_HANNAH: Our last stage today!!!!!! 5 Pieces is Black & White ^_^ (picture)}

5 Pieces have taken a picture together in their [Black & White] outfits from today’s Inkigayo, which was what Hannah uploaded on her tweet. And though it is the last promotion performance of their [Black & White], the ladies parts afterwards for different schedules. They enjoy performing on Inkigayo, being kind to their fans and cheerful backstage and they are even given melon in celebration of the final stage. Emelia takes a picture of them eating the melon backstage; it’s a really colourful picture, which she uploads on their blog and writes a short message about the final performance.

While Carolina, Maria and Emelia head for a radio program, Julia follows Hannah along to the gym where they are both brightly met by trainer Park Hyun. Today’s workout is tough. Hannah is more used to it, but for Julia who barely goes to the gym she instead decides to not follow Park Hyun’s workout along with Hannah and instead works out on her own. Hannah on the other hand is sweating and her muscles are getting tired; it is the perfect workout for her. She will feel refreshed later. Towards the end of the workout, coming out from another part of the gym, Hannah sees its FT Island’s Jonghun. Her heart skips a beat right away when seeing him, a skip of anger going through her. She hasn’t talked to Honggi a single time since what happened, and he hasn’t tried to talk to her either. But she is angry at him, and she wonders if he is here too. Jonghun and Honggi often go to the gym together, competing with each other. Julia has already stopped working out, waiting outside for Hannah to get done. Jonghun is just about to walk by the open space where Hannah is finishing up her own workout with Park Hyun, and he does glance her way. He shoots a smile when recognizing her, giving a light wave with his hand but he doesn’t stop. He can probably see that she is busy, even if Park Hyun snaps his fingers for her to focus.

For the next ten minutes, Hannah keeps looking at every person walking out of that room. Not once does she see Honggi. But she could’ve missed him too, as Park Hyun keeps telling her to focus while they are finishing up with the exercise and stretches.

“Next day is on Wednesday right?” Park Hyun asks when they are done, watching Hannah pick up her bag and jacket from the side.

“Wednesday,” Hannah answers with a nod and she thanks him for today before they part.

She heads out through the door, coming to what could be a waiting room before the stairs comes. But the waiting room is rarely used, though Hannah sees three figures in there. Julia is one of them, sitting next to Jonghun and talking as good friends. And the third person who is standing up is Honggi. That anger comes to Hannah again and when she steps up to them she doesn’t care to say anything to Jonghun who comments on that she seemed to work hard in there, instead she grabs Honggi’s arm and tells him in a cold voice they have to talk. Honggi stumble a step back when she pushes him along before he turns around to follow her, his face-expression telling the other two this can’t be good and he follows Hannah trough a door that leads to some office that is on the same floor. It’s quiet, until the door is shut and Honggi turns his head to look at her just when she pushes his chest so he steps in to the wall.

“You told him?!” she shouts at him, furious. “You told Jonghyun what happened?!”

Honggi looks stumped by her words; he can kind of understand her anger, it isn’t exactly the first time he has done something she doesn’t like, but her words doesn’t make any sense and that is the reason he looks stumped. He grabs her wrists when she is about to push him again. “I haven’t spoken to Jonghyun,” he tells her and this time its Hannah who is taken back.

“You must have…”

Honggi can’t help but to smirk over her confused face-expression, and he lets go of her wrists. “He found out about it then?” he asks in a voice that makes her give him a deathly glare. He seems really amused by imagine the reaction of Jonghyun when finding out about what happened in Vietnam. Since Honggi didn’t tell Jonghyun about what happened, Hannah wonders how he found out about it, as he knew what he talked about when he confronted her. But since Honggi hasn’t said anything, Hannah turns to the door to leave. She can’t handle being around him like this. Her movement, how she just turns away from him, makes Honggi panic. He slinks in between her and the door, making his hand rest on the other wall. “Was that all? Are you going to leave?”

“I got nothing to say to you, Honggi,” Hannah quietly answers.

He bites his lips when she looks at him, meeting his eyes with a pair of eyes that he can’t read. It worries him that he can’t read her face-expression; that he doesn’t know what she is thinking or how she feels. Hannah is normally easy to read. Now she is standing in front of him, covered in sweat from working out, her eyes blank and tired and her skin gleaming. “What do you mean ‘I got nothing to say’? There’s a lot to be said and explained from what happened last week between us. You can’t just ignore that.”

“I have ignored the past,” Hannah tells him in a tight voice, “all the mistakes you made, I kept ignore and I kept trying to be a friend, but last week was too much-”

“The mistakes I made?” Honggi asks and puts a hand on his chest, with an emphasis on ‘I’. “Last week was not just-”

“It’s not about last week; it’s about everything that has happened!” Hannah interrupts him. “I’m tired of trying just for you to ruin it again.”

“So what do you mean? You can’t even be my friend anymore?” Honggi looks hurt and angry when hearing her talk.

“How could I possibly be friend with someone who keeps hurting me?” she asks, her eyes finally showing him something. She is sad. She doesn’t want it to be like this between them, but because of last week she has no other choice. She can’t keep forgiving him when he tells her he wants to be more than friends or when he kisses her. “There are no more chances left, Honggi, you used them all.”

She can see how his lips tighten in to a thin line and he closes his eyes slowly when they start to burn from tears. Maybe she didn’t loose her boyfriend after what happened last week, but she did loose one of her best friends.

Without another word she walks by him, leaving.

Julia had driven them in her car to the gym, so it feels good to sit down in her car and head home for a quick shower before they head to the agency to practice with the other ladies for tomorrow’s recording. Julia is curious to know what had been said with Honggi, but all Hannah says is that it is over – they aren’t friends anymore. It feels weird to hear, and Julia glances strangely at her. It feels definitely weird when imagining that Hannah and Honggi won’t be friends anymore. To not see them sit at two different places in a room and talking through face-expressions; to not have them joke with each other backstage when passing each other, Hannah patting him on his right shoulder just to appear on his left while Honggi usually pulls a lock in her hair when coming up behind her or even call out ‘Sunshine!’ brightly. For the past four years, Julia thinks that Hannah and Honggi have been like … inseparable. Even when they barely spoke the same language, he helped her sneak out to eat pizza and he would tell her to eat all the junk food she can but then practice even harder to prove that she can eat whatever she wants and still succeed. Honggi has even come over drunk to their first apartment, and Hannah used to sneak down to let him talk to her. Julia was Hannah’s roommate at that time, so she knew everything. She doesn’t think of that it was a long time ago that actually happened last time. Thing’s have just gotten weird now.

Hannah texts Jonghyun on the way, asking how he found out what happened in Vietnam. She gets the answer while 5 Pieces is practicing for their Elvis cover, and by the time Hannah checks her phone he has called her four time already. And by the time she checks her phone, the practice is over and 5 Pieces is getting ready to go home.

She gives him a call while heading to the car with her members.

You have talked to Honggi?” Jonghyun asks the moment he picks up. On his voice, she can tell he doesn’t like it. “I thought you were angry at him? Why did you talk to him?

“I met him at the gym. And I talked to him to punch him for telling you about what happened but he said he hasn’t talked to you so I wonder why you said he told you? How did you find out?” Hannah asks. Emelia has to look over her shoulder when hearing Hannah talk in a low voice, and it is probably one of the longest sentences she has heard her say in Korean.

I never said how I found out about it; you assumed Honggi told me,” Jonghyun explains on the phone, “what happened at the gym then, did you … did something happen?

“Jonghyun,” Hannah whines because he still isn’t telling her how he found out about it.

Where are you?” Jonghyun wonders. “We have just finished celebrating Minho’s birthday, I could come meet you.”

“I’m heading home to sleep, maybe another day,” Hannah answers and she stops outside the car to wait for the others to arrive. Emelia is the only one standing there with her. “But tell me. You can’t have guessed it. Maria said she didn’t tell you, so who was it?”

Hannah, I’ll call you back soon,” Jonghyun says as voices are heard around him. “I love you.”

He hangs up before she can respond and Hannah pouts at the cell phone. Did Honggi lie to her after all? She can’t figure out what else it could be, and she keeps thinking about it the whole way home. Emelia went in Julia’s car, as Julia didn’t want to drive home alone, while the other three gets a ride by their manager. A few minutes away from home, Maria gets a text message that makes her sigh before she asks their manager if they can’t buy something to eat before heading home. Carolina loves the idea, but their manager says a strict ‘no’ and drives the last three minutes before stopping outside the apartment building. The ladies get off, Hannah like often tells their manager to drive safely before hurrying after Maria and Carolina. Maria seems to be in a hurry while Carolina is talking about what they talked about at the radio they were at before the practice.

“What’s wrong with you?” Hannah asks when they are in the elevator, seeing Maria being restless, “Bathroom issues?”

“Mm,” is all Maria says. Hannah pouts over the answer, and then she nods at Carolina who keeps talking without noticing that no one is listening to her. When the elevator stops, Maria steps to the doors first so when it glides up she is the first to walk out. But the thing they all think of is the voices heard. Emelia’s voice, low growling at someone and when stepping around the corner, Hannah gets a shock seeing that the person she is screaming at is Jonghyun. That was why Maria was acting weird – she got a text from Emelia saying Jonghyun is there.

“Emelia!” Hannah bursts out and rushes by Maria to get next to Jonghyun, holding on to his arm when getting between him and Emelia. “What are you doing?”

“Get inside,” Emelia orders Hannah and points towards the door to their apartment.

“She’s not a child,” Jonghyun tells her.

“Oh, you shut the up,” Emelia growls at him while Hannah looks shocked and Maria rolls her eyes. Carolina looks surprised, standing still. “Hannah, get inside, now.”

“No!” Hannah can’t grasp the situation. “What are you doing? Why are you screaming?”

“I’ll tell Appa that he is here, Hannah,” Emelia warns her, “the two of you are breaking too many rules for us to live safely.”

“Since when did you follow rules?” Hannah asks her, grabbing Jonghyun’s hand to pull him with her to the elevator. Maria asks where she is going, surprised that she is starting to leave and Hannah just says she is going downstairs. Emelia starts to shout and Jonghyun tries to shout too though Hannah tells him to not say a thing and thanks to Maria, Emelia starts to shout at her instead and it gets quiet when the elevator-doors are closed. Hannah takes out her hands at Jonghyun, looking at him with a questioning look. “What are you doing here? You said you would call.”

“I couldn’t answer your question on the phone,” Jonghyun simply answers, looking on the elevator door as if his glare can be seen through for Emelia. “So I had to see you.”

“Then why were you screaming at Emelia?” Hannah still can’t understand that.

“Because she thinks I’m an idiot who shouldn’t love you because it can cause too much problems,” Jonghyun answers while looking at her and he steps up to put his hand by her face. Hannah puts his hand on his, taking it down. “She thinks you love me too much.”

“Jonghyun…” Hannah sighs. She is tired and wants to go to bed, though she doesn’t let go of his hand. “How did you know?”

The elevator stops and they step out, still holding hands. “I overheard you and Maria talks about it… It was an accident,” Jonghyun answers the question she has asked him the whole evening. She has to think it through of what time he talks about, slightly remembering it.

“Then why have you let me think Honggi told you?”

“Because I thought it didn’t matter how I found out, we solved the problem, didn’t we?” Jonghyun answers and they stop when reaching the door, Jonghyun turning to face Hannah. “But you haven’t told me what happened at the gym.”

“Nothing happened at the gym! Jeez…”

“Why are you so annoyed?” Jonghyun uses a light tone to ask.

“Maybe because I come home after midnight to find my boyfriend and best friend screaming at each other? What do you think, Jonghyun?!” Hannah answers, definitely annoyed and she is so tired that she ends up sighing.

“She started it! I just came to see you and she got all furious to see my face. Are we seriously fighting about this?”

Hannah pouts at his last question, and she knows it is childish what they are doing. “You started it…” she mutters while looking away. Jonghyun gives out a sound and when she looks back at him she can see that he is smiling at her. He puts his hand by her face as he had done before.

“You must really be tired,” he comments in a soft voice and his smile grows to his eyes when he can feel her cheek get warm under his touch. “I’m sorry for coming uninvited, creating a fight like that when you should sleep.”

Hannah shakes her head at him, putting her arms around to his back in a hug, looking up at him cutely. “I’m sorry too,” she tells him. Jonghyun gives her a kiss, and when stepping away he gives her another one before saying goodnight.

When she is heading up the elevator on her own, she suddenly starts sighing. Emelia won’t let her go to sleep now, and Hannah is right about that. The moment she opens the door to the apartment, Emelia is standing there with dark eyes and arms crossed over her chest. “You two need to break up,” Emelia says shortly with a low voice and Hannah gives her a glare, hanging off her jacket and taking off her shoes. “I’m not kidding. Break up with him, Hannah.”

“Can you hear yourself? Why do I have to break up with him?” Hannah asks, unable to avoid it.

“That idiot behaviour last week, of course, what else?”

“EMELIA!” Maria shouts from another part of the apartment. “Go to sleep and stop talking about that!”

“Just a second!” Emelia calls back to her and then follows Hannah when the girl tries to go to her bedroom. “Hannah, the moment you start putting your boyfriend before EVERYTHING else is when I step up and stop you. That’s what friends do. And-”

“I’m not doing that! Emelia, could you please stop? I’m not breaking up with him and I’m not putting him before EVERYTHING else, so stop; leave me alone, stop screaming at him for something I did, and go to bed,” Hannah tells her tiredly, then closes the bedroom door to make that a closure of her night. Maria also calls for Emelia to go to bed, so Emelia just mutters something in before she leaves.

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

The talk show 5 Pieces have been preparing for is finally here. Emelia have calmed down after sleeping, she is the kind to let go of things easily and now especially because Hannah and Emelia will do a performance together she doesn’t want them to be angry at each other, while Hannah is just quiet. The ladies dresses up casually and pretty for the recording, and when waiting backstage to start they are going through the details, greeting the three MCs and the staff too. It is the kind of recording that is done without an audience, but the MCs mentions that there really are a lot more staff members present than what it usually is, flattering the ladies that have come as guests.

Hannah is wearing a gray off-shoulder printed top with a pair of black skinny pants, the top tugged in just lightly. She loves the long sleeves hiding her hands and she tries to cover her shoulders showing slightly with her hair when sitting down on the set. 5 Pieces will sit on chairs next to each other and the MCs (two male and one female) will sit next to them. Starting off with the filming, 5 Pieces gets to do their greetings as a group and individually after that the MCs have done the opening, and the ladies makes the MCs laugh the first minute because the staff are playing 5 Pieces’ [Black & White] in the background when the MCs are introducing today’s guests and Carolina is seen dancing in the background. Carolina dancing won’t be showed on the broadcast though.

“When mentioning 5 Pieces, of course people think of the flawless performances and free personalities of the members,” one of the male MCs starts off saying when they start, sounding excited while moving his hands towards his co-workers and the staff before turning towards 5 Pieces. “Do you ever feel a pressure on yourselves when hearing compliments like that?”

Hannah glances at her members, like always, to hear one of them answer the opening question. Carolina is first to speak. “Compliments saying how great our performances are and how pretty we are, we just accept with bright smiles.”

“No one said we are pretty,” Emelia is fast to complain at her and the MCs at the same time say Carolina is confident.

“But 5 Pieces is giving everything in to perform well, so when receiving praise for it, why wouldn’t we accept it?” Carolina asks, being very confident in herself and her group. On those words, the MCs seems to agree, saying that their hard work is being noticed so of course they should confidently accept the compliments about how great they are doing.

“Though I think … the more praise we get, the higher expectations we get too,” Maria continues to say after thinking through the question, “and because of that we work even harder to be able to present our best during a performance. About that ‘free personalities’, it isn’t always a positive thing because people expect us to be rude and impolite towards other people, and we really aren’t like that.”

“Ah, because 5 Pieces aren’t Korean, you were often misunderstood because you didn’t know how to greet properly, right?” one of the MCs asks as it isn’t really a secret and the girls all says that gave them an image of being rude.

“The free personality image of 5 Pieces … does it come from that you didn’t know how to greet?” the female MC wonders, not seem to know as much as the male MCs.

“It’s more because we spoke our mind and did what we wanted rather than we didn’t know how the way to be polite in Korea. The rude image came from us not knowing enough of the Korean culture,” Emelia simply explains.

The third MC looks confused though. “I have met the members of 5 Pieces a few times at broadcast stations, even during your debut time, and I don’t think you have been rude at all,” he says. “Maybe you mispronounced words and such, but I rather think you are one of the most polite and comfortable idols these days.”

“Thank you,” Hannah automatically bends her back a little when thanking him for the kind words, Julia sitting next to her also doing it.

“Does 5 Pieces have free personalities in reality?” the female MC wonders. “Do you speak your mind and do what you want off camera too?”

Once again Hannah glances at her members.

“Of course we speak our mind,” Maria answers, not really understanding why they wouldn’t. “We can’t do whatever we want all the time, but at times we rebel against our managers – mostly when it comes to food…”

They laugh at her mentioning food, and there are some comments made about it before the ladies are asked if they really can notice their popularity that is not just in Korea but all around the world; if they can go on streets without being recognized. Hannah glances at Julia sitting next to her; all the ladies look mature being nicely dressed and politely sitting there, well, it is polite and nice for being 5 Pieces. “Whenever we go abroad, it’s for a performance, so because of our short visit in that country the place is always filled with fans, so we can’t go anywhere without being recognized,” Carolina is answering, “though … here in Korea, we are always recognized.”

Once again her confidence hits them with laughter and Hannah laughs more when Julia turns towards her to laugh. One of the male MCs is laughing so hard that he looks like he is going to fall off his chair. Emelia explains that this is Carolina’s issue; she makes you laugh because of something weird she has said, and when noticing everyone is laughing you laugh even more.

“5 Pieces is getting a lot of recognition in Sweden too, your home-country. How does it feel to have people in Sweden asking for interviews and autographs?” the MC is curious to know.

“It’s fascinating actually,” Julia answers, “last year we went to countries in Europe to do a simple promotion of our song [One and Only], and in every country there were so many fans that we really didn’t realise they were there for us. We went to Sweden at that time too, but there were a lot of people from other countries there. And then this year we have really started to get more fans that are from Sweden: we are getting mails written from Swedish fans and then videos and other things made from Swedish fans. Just recently we were even given special made caps, so it’s really fascinating that they are interested in us and our music.”

“Maybe it’s weird, but when we get attention from other countries – like Sweden – I feel really proud,” Maria starts adding up, “I think that ‘wow, people are starting to give attention to K-Pop when watching our videos’ and I get proud over that people are getting curious about what kind of language we are singing in and maybe get interested in other Korean artists.” She gets quiet to get a comment on what she says but suddenly claps her hands together once, remembering something. “And I also get proud over the fact that we are able to show more of Sweden wherever we go.”

“Ah, it’s like coming from two directions,” one of the MCs is nodding. “That you are proud to be Swedish but also proud to be in Korea.”

A little later, they are asked if they have any worries about the group or apologize to the group; telling the audience that it is time for 5 Pieces’ confessions. Then it gets quiet, the MCs waiting for two seconds before asking if there is a member who has something worrying on their minds or if they want to apologize for something, and Hannah leans a little forward and looks at her members sitting on her right.

“Hannah,” one of the MCs suddenly says in a calm tone and the girl is fast to turn her head around, sitting straight, “I’m sorry, but whenever we ask a question you keep turning to the other members for them to answer.”

Hannah laughs behind her hand, embarrassedly apologizing though there is nothing to apologize for and her members all steps up to tell the MCs that Hannah always does that, saying Hannah always glances at them to know who will answer and she then apologizes for no reason and Hannah’s head gets lower and lower until she leans back laughing over their many words. Julia then says she has something she is worrying about lately, and though Carolina is leaning back to joke with Hannah for what they just were talking about; Julia gets the attention from everyone else. Emelia hits Carolina on the leg to make her get quiet, to listen to Julia talking.

“What I worry about is that 5 Pieces is talking too much about food.”

“What~” Maria asks in a funny tone while Hannah giggles and Carolina suddenly does some weird hand motion when hearing the word ‘food’. The MCs looks like question-marks about her worry too.

“Because lately, we only talk about food. At one radio program, all we talked about was food for twenty minutes and then when that ended, we tried to convince our manager to buy us food. Our fans seem to ask us about food too. At a recent event, there was a fan who said he was taking cooking classes just to become the perfect husband for us in the future,” Julia is troubled when explaining and Carolina is nodding in agreement next to her.

“We all really enjoy eating,” Maria adds up, pointing towards her members, “and our fans seem to think it is a must to know how to cook to be able to satisfy us.”

“It’s true,” Hannah quietly says.

“So 5 Pieces’ future husbands need to be able to cook food for you?” the MC wonders.

“Yes,” three of them answer and they burst out laughing, glancing at each other to ask who answered. Hannah, Emelia and Maria all answered ‘yes’ and Julia then says that she would want to learn how to cook instead.

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

Headline 09th: 5 Pieces Performs A Final [Black & White] + [-erase you-] On Inkigayo

Headline 09th: Emelia Admits On Boom’s Radio That 5 Pieces Changed When Having Solo Activities

 

Headline 10th: Best Book of the Week ‘Joe – Under Seoul’s Streets’ Week 19

Headline 10th: 5 Pieces Have Dominated The Album Selling For 2012

Headline 10th: SM Entertainment Releases MV Teaser For 5 Pieces’ Mysterious [Daze]