Chapter 64

Youngest of Pieces - [Black & White] (7)

“EW!” Hannah screams in the morning. “Disgusting!”

She has already started to get ready for the day when she is making her bed and sees that there is something yellow on the quilt.

“THE DOG PEED ON MY BED!”

Laugh roars out from the apartment by the other members while Hannah keeps whining and jumping around in the disgust and she whines louder when Emelia comes to see it. Hannah keeps whining the whole time while first cleaning it up and then when throwing the quilt in the laundry and she goes around whining when her manager comes to pick her up. Emelia laughs from time to time just to remind Hannah about it too, so just when Hannah gets quiet you can hear Emelia laughing somewhere and Hannah starts to whine again. Even when Hannah has sat down in the van, she suddenly starts to whine because Ryo had peed on her bed. He won’t ever get to sleep on her bed again.

Hannah is heading to practice without the members, an early Midnight Dream practice. They are apparently also going to perform a Christmas song on Inkigayo, which they have been practicing when Hannah hasn’t been there, and they have finished the song medley they will do for the Gayo Daejun.

For two hours Hannah has to spend an awkward yet fun time with the drama cast she normally is really close to. It is all because of Honggi. He is still just glancing sadly at her, or he looks angry, but he still chats brightly with the others. The moment she can leave it feels like she can breathe again, and Hannah heads to get ready for today’s Music Bank performance. FT Island will also perform at today’s Music Bank, but so will also f(x) and SHINee.

Hannah meets her members at the saloon, all of them transforming into their [Daze] looks. The tattoos too: the sentence ‘destruction of the soul’ is written up Hannah’s right arm in Korean, a sentence that the stylist had liked and suggested. For today’s outfit she is wearing a black and gray top with several messy stripes of the same material as the top buckled around like belts around her body. [Daze] main concept is the buckle-details on their outfits, so Hannah’s buckle-details today are really cool. She is wearing tights too, the top long enough to cover her but Hannah keeps pulling in it, worrying if it is too short even if her members say it isn’t.

“So they say that Christmas is the time of acapella,” Carolina is saying when the group is in the van, heading to Music Bank. “And since we are having a radio special on Christmas, what if we prepare a pretty Christmas acapella?”

“Ya, do you have time for that this weekend or what?” Maria is fast to ask her. “We have like things to do every single hour and you want us to practice another song? No way.”

Carolina grimaces sadly and turns to Julia sitting next to her, but Julia says she is on Maria’s side on this. Carolina turns to her other side where Hannah is sitting, but Hannah is listening to music and staring out the window that Carolina doesn’t even know if she has been listening. Manager Lim looks at the ladies from the driver’s seat. Manager Kim is sitting on the seat next to Maria in the middle of the van while Emelia is sitting at the front seat next to the driver.

“Ladies, what’s up with this mood?” Manager Lim asks. “What’s the silence for? It’s Christmas in a few days and you are in this kind of mood?”

“I’m just tired,” Emelia is the only one answering. “I was up playing with Michin half the night.”

“I’m tired because some stupid person had to make a lot of noise in the middle of the night so I couldn’t get my beauty sleep,” Maria answers and from behind glaring at Emelia. “Seriously, you couldn’t find a better time to create a ruckus than in the middle of the night?”

“I couldn’t sleep,” Emelia simply defends her self. “And Michin was playful. We had a lot of fun.”

“We could hear,” Maria mutters.

“And I’m the one sleeping in the room next to hers,” Julia mentions in the back.

“Appa, please turn on some good music…” Carolina cries in the back, not liking the mood at all. Emelia is the one turning on the stereo, and even Hannah starts to smile when the song [Diamond] from 5 Pieces’ third album that was released just a few months ago starts to play. The girls are suddenly singing along to the fun pop song, and though their moods are suddenly really good, their manager is unsure which mood he likes the best because the van starts to jump too.

The ladies arrive at Music Bank, heading to the waiting-room with Manager Kim while Manager Lim is going to get microphones and find out about the rehearsal and recording. Emelia playfully pushes Carolina when they are walking in the corridor, followed by Carolina pushing Emelia back and behind them Hannah is avoiding them to not be pushed. In the end, it seems like this is a normal day for 5 Pieces. Hannah smiles at her members’ behaviour, holding on to Julia’s jacket sleeve while heading to their room.

“5 Pieces!” a dark voice echoes in the corridor, followed by Maria spreading out her body over the corridor to do some air-guitar playing, overly excited to see the person that had called out for them. FT Island’s Jonghun laughs when seeing the long legged Maria play the air-guitar while doing some sounds that definitely are not familiar to a guitar’s. Jonghun is fast to start play a more believable air-guitar and Hannah in the back wonders how Maria always comes up with such weird greetings; and why people follows along with it.

Other members from FT Island peeks out from one of the rooms further down, hearing the voices and their leader shout their name, and it is suddenly a very friendly greeting session between them all. Honggi is there too, though he doesn’t greet Hannah at all. The boys are all opening their mouths when seeing how 5 Pieces is looking under their jackets though; and they all stare at Maria’s legs. She is wearing a fitting turtleneck dress with long sleeves in different washed colours, and her bare legs have words written on her thighs. Emelia hits Minhwan on the back when he bends down a little to read the letters, but the girls all know he is admiring her legs so he blushes and apologizes.

Seunghyun talk to them all in a loud voice and when all the greetings are done he slinks up next to Hannah. “So what did you think of the movie?”

He have wanted her to watch the movie Neverland for some weeks, and Hannah gave him a text message when she arrived in Sweden to say that she has seen it. Because of the long flight she got the time to see the whole movie. Hannah smiles when seeing how curious he is. “He was so cute,” she answers and looks surprised when Seunghyun looks disappointed. His shoulders sink down and his smile disappears. “What?”

“Honggi said you would only think of the boy. I am talking about the movie here, not the actor,” Seunghyun tells her.

“But I like the movie! I even saw it two times because the flight was so boring.” Hannah grabs his arm in a whine, saying that she really liked it and Seunghyun looks at her while thinking of it, and she smiles and nods brightly when he asks if she really liked it. “Loved it! I can watch it more times. It was really good.”

5 Pieces eventually gets to their room, which was when Manager Lim came with the microphones and asked why they are still out in the corridor. 5 Pieces will actually do a pre-recording of their song, so they head straight to the stage after getting ready. All five ladies are wearing over-the-knee black boots, and backstage they have tried to jump around and stomp around in them just to make sure it will really work in this choreography. The girls are talking nonstop because they just arrived and they haven’t really gotten warm in their clothes yet, so they are talking and repeating things for each other to remember certain parts in the song and choreography. Holding on to their microphones, 5 Pieces heads to the stage where their fans are waiting and where the staff is waiting too for the recording to begin. 5 Pieces gets up on the stage, greets the audience before moving to take their positions after giving a sound in the microphones to make sure it all five works. First off is the rehearsal, which goes pretty well, so they move on to the performance recording shortly after.

The ladies are excited. Doing the cheer before the performance the girls got excited to get up on the stage and perform, and when doing the rehearsal the audience was really on fire so of course the girls got on fire too.

But after recording the song four times in a row, the girls are exhausted. Hannah’s back is hurting like crazy and when the song comes to an end again she bends her back to lean forward to make it feel straight, looking at Julia in front of her who is looking at the side to hear if they will have to do it again or if they are done. One more time, they are told. Their stylist gets to check on the girls looks, and while doing that Hannah stands up straight, holding her hands to her hip and moves her upper-body as much to the side as she can – both right and then left – in a try to stretch her back.

“Hannah should give a little more attitude,” Carolina mentions when she has checked what they just recorded. “Like when it is someone else’s part, you still get visible in the back, but you are just focusing on the dance.”

Hannah just nods and lifts her head up when the stylist steps up to her.

They start off performing the song again, this time just as the other times; their fans are cheering and shouting like they have done over and over again. It helps the ladies to do their best for the recording. Hannah has some trouble with her back. Lately the group has done mostly live performances so it hasn’t been so much repeating of the song, especially not in heels, so Hannah does really not like that they have performed the song so many times for one recording like they have done now. She thought that her body had forgotten the long flight from Sweden yesterday since she went to practice in the evening without much problem, but at that time she wasn’t wearing heels and she was not taking the same song using the same movements as she is doing now. She does her best and she tries to focus on what Carolina told her too, so when seeing the camera filming another remember in front of her she still focuses as if she would be the one at the front. Her hair keeps falling in her face too. It is basic for the song to throw your head and hair, but her hair doesn’t fall back to place like it normally does but instead she keeps getting the hair in her face.

For the fifth time the song comes to an end and 5 Pieces falls in to their ending positions. Instead of waiting for the staff to ask for a sixth time, Carolina asks if they could do it another time because she wasn’t satisfied with this one. Carolina had made a mistake, and as the perfectionist she is when it comes to herself, Carolina can’t survive unless they do it again.

“Can you cheer for us another time?” Carolina kindly asks their fans they brightly cheers yes.

Hannah bows to them in a way to thank them, though she is totally exhausted, and she turns around to where Maria is stepping up in the back. “Okay?” Hannah simply asks her, moving the microphone from hand to hand. Maria nods. All members looks serious by now, sweating and they apologizes to the fans that keeps asking them if they are okay doing it another time. But the girls still wants a great performance. Their fans cheers them on between the song still, saying they are doing great and that you can’t hear or see during the performance that they are tired. Though the moment the music stops, 5 Pieces looks tired. So they get to wipe off the sweat and the music gets on again.

Hannah breathes out when the song ends again and the cameras stops recording. She stumble a step to the side when Maria leans on her. Maria leans her arm on Hannah’s, hiding her face from the fans so she turns towards Hannah who puts her hands by her friend’s waist.

“Ah, I need to eat,” Maria breathes and lifts her head just lightly. She is sweating, her hair stuck to her face just like Hannah’s, and Hannah moves her hands just a little in case Maria is going to fall.

“Are you dizzy?” she wonders but Maria shakes her head.

“I just got no energy…” she breathes. Hannah can feel that too about herself. Having Maria lean on her makes the pain in her back remind her that she too is tired, and her legs are so tired that she doesn’t even know if she can take a single step away from the spot she is standing on. Fans are suddenly shouting at them, asking if they are okay and Hannah forces out a smile and lifts up her microphone to her lips.

“Are your voices okay?” she asks the fans while Maria stands up straight, leaning on herself instead of Hannah, though she holds on to Hannah’s arm. They can hear the staff say they will look through the video, so the girls have to come to the side. “Thank you for screaming so much for us,” Hannah adds to their fans while walking to the side.

Her smile disappears there though. She is sitting down, Emelia sits down on her lap, and they watch what they just recorded to see if it is okay or not. Maria is sneaking to eating some snacks and drinking some water, not knowing what the outcome will be. She points towards the screen while drinking.

“This is not good,” she mentions. No one reacts, all focused on watching. Emelia then nods and the staff also come to say that they should do it again.

Fans are almost complaining when 5 Pieces are heading up on the stage again, and they are asking if they really can take another time.

“Hey~ Aren’t we 5 Pieces?” Maria asks the audience with a smile, recharged, putting her hand out towards the other members that are fast to put their over hers. “Now, I want us all-” she glances to the audience too, “- to give our everything to make a great recording so we don’t have to do it once more. So, I’ll ask; who are we?”

“5 Pieces!” the girls’ shouts, but the fans scream out even louder too.

“Who are we?!” Maria screams and you can really see how excited the girls are getting just shouting like this and they all shouts out while throwing up their hands in the air; “5 PIECES!”

“Let’s do this!” Carolina cheers out in a low voice through the microphone when they are taking their positions once more. Hannah’s back might be hurting still, but performing with 5 Pieces with their fans cheering is still the most amazing thing she will ever do in her life and she will not waste it. She moves her body, her hips and legs and arms and neck and does exactly as she has done during practicing and at other performances, trying to ignore the pain and exhaustion in her body and voice as she tries her best to stay professional.

Towards the end of the song, she is happy that her hair keeps flying because there is no way anyone can see the pain in her face though that. When the song finally ends, it feels like minutes standing in that ending position before she hears them say it’s done. She looks at her members leaving their positions, bowing to the amazing audience and Hannah bits her lip, waving her hand when getting off the stage with her members. She doesn’t bow, her back is as straight and stiff as it ever been and she doesn’t say anything while walking with the others to their room backstage. She hurries in there, not having to meet anyone, and she hears their manager tell them how great they have done and when entering the room, Hannah gets out of her boots with help from stylist Yong Hyun and the other members are entering while Hannah is pulling out a blanket on the floor by the wall and carefully lies down.

“So bad, ha?” Yong Hyun asks quietly. He has seen the recording from beginning to end on the TV-screen in the room, and he knew that just halfway through the girls were exhausted. All the ladies are starting to drink water and get out of the boots, sitting down to rest. Hannah throws up her legs on the wall, her normal habit when her back is hurting. Just how she had run to do this makes Yong Hyun realise it must have really hurt, because she doesn’t always do this because it’s pretty embarrassing to lie on the floor with legs stretched up on the walls. He puts some cold water from a bottle on a towel before putting it carefully on Hannah’s forehead, giving her the bottle of water in her hand too that she puts under her chin. Maria is using two bottles of water to cool off herself, drinking from one of them too. The girls aren’t giving a comment on their stylist’s question, they are all trying to catch their breath and finally able to show how exhausted they are from the recording; this was their first time performing the song so many times in a row like they did now.

Hannah lying on the floor is focusing more on her back than the sweat on her body, or her dry throat from all the singing, but she still hears when SHINee’s Taemin comes inside the dressing-room, clapping his hands and saying how great the girls were. He laughs when seeing Hannah’s legs on the wall, asking her as a joke if it is the new photographic position – though he knows why she is lying like that – and he doesn’t expect an answer as he continues to talk to the others after the comment.

“Do you want a kiss or what?” Maria asks when Minho had entered the room with a chuckle over seeing how exhausted the girls are. He laughs and shakes his head over Maria’s question, but touches her arm to tell her they all did really great for the recording.

Jonghyun steps in too, patting Julia on the shoulder when walking by her. He smiles widely when seeing Hannah lying on the floor and moving her feet from left and right over the wall, legs stretched out, and he walks up to stop above where her head is to sit down on his heels.

“Why do you look so cute?” he jokes with her while pinching her cheeks lightly and Hannah gives out a sound when putting her hands to cover her cheeks from his fingers.

Hannah bends her knees down to her chest, falling down on the side on the floor and looks up at what is going on in the room. The members of SHINee are entering just to greet and talk while waiting for their own performance, and to tell the girls how well they did with that fierce performance, repeating it live for about seven times. Jonghyun is still smiling at Hannah who sits up.

“I can massage you,” he suggestions when reaching out his hand to help her up. Hannah takes his hand, getting up on her feet and waves her hands to her face as she still need to calm down from being on stage. He smiles and waves his hands to her face too, a simple wind blowing in her face from their hands.

“When did you come?” she can hear Julia ask the boys.

“About the time half of your recording had passed. We could see it all from our dressing-room, you know, your recording,” Minho answers and just when he picks up a Clementine from the bowl on the table, Maria takes it from his hand to start peel it. They are starting to calm down, the ladies, and Jonghyun moves Hannah to let her sit on a chair with him standing behind her and instead of massaging her shoulders she gets to lean forward and tell him where to press his fingers and knuckles. She gives out a noise when he presses a knot on her back and Jonghyun gives a smile over the room as that noise could easily be misunderstood. Of course Hannah doesn’t think of that. Taemin also looks clueless, while Julia is fast to glance their way and Minho gives a chuckle again.

Jonghyun has found the right spot, which is why Hannah doesn’t tell him to stop pressing her back. She gives out a moan the next time he presses another knot but this time Jonghyun can’t be quiet and he leans down to her ear from behind and asks her as a joke if she wants to go to another room where they can be alone and Hannah, who has no idea of that he says it as a joke because of the sound she made, turns around to look at him in shock and she hits his hands away from her with Jonghyun just smiling. She knew he was joking, but she didn’t know the reason for it.

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

5 Pieces finishes doing the interviews backstage before Music Bank’s actual airing starts off, and they also stands up next to each other to do a Christmas greeting while speaking in English. The girls are wearing their boots again and they have fixed their hair and make-up that didn’t look so fresh after the heavy recording, and they are no standing in front of a camera filming them from their waist and up.

“Pieces of one!” Carolina cheers out standing in the middle and the group joins in to say; “Hello, we are 5 Pieces!”

“Christmas is just a few days away,” Maria starts off saying with a smile, “and 5 Pieces is getting a Christmas spirit with fans all around the world wishing us to have a happy Christmas. Thank you! Some of you might be asking what we are doing on Christmas, and, well… what will we do?”

Maria turns to her left, where all the other four members are standing next to each other. “We will work,” Hannah kindly answer. She is standing on the right side as usual, hugging Julia’s arm cutely with a smile.

“We will work and try to tell as many people as possible to spend their Christmas with smiles and family,” Carolina adds up in her cheesy way. “And for those of you that can listen to radio, 5 Pieces will have a two-hour Christmas radio special where we will tell funny stories and sing a little and share our own Christmas spirit. Please listen if you can!”

“And 5 Pieces will continue to work hard for Christmas, and we hope all of you will listen to our newest song [Daze] that is really fun to dance around to for all seasons,” Julia cheerfully says. As if on command, when hearing their own song being mentioned the girls suddenly starts to sing and dance a little to the song’s chorus, just briefly before clearing their throats and laughing a little when gathering themselves to continue.

“And continue to love us in 2013 too that is just around the corner!” Maria almost shouts out. “Merry Christmas everyone!”

“Merry Christmas!” the group cheers out in chorus, waving their hands before they messily starts to sing out *we wish you a merry Christmas, we wish you a merry Christmas, we wish you a merry Christmas – and a happy New Year!* Though the camera cuts off halfway through as the girls are moving around way too much. Excitement or what?

5 Pieces heads back to the dressing-room when they are done in front of the cameras.

“You got a few minutes before we have to leave,” their manager informs the girls and Hannah finds herself joining in the complaining with her members, as the girls want to talk to some of the idols backstage that are performing on today’s show. As if he could sense the ladies leaving soon, Minho peeks inside the room and asks if they are leaving.

Maria waves for him to come inside, starting to talk right away and Hannah sits down in the sofa like usually to wait for the group to head to the next schedule. This weekend will be busy with the group not just promoting their song [Daze] but also to celebrate Christmas with appearances a little here and there. Today, instead of joining in for the actual performances at Music Bank, the group will head to do some variety program and then at ten tonight the group will have a performance of their song. Hannah gets in other thoughts when sitting in the sofa though. During the interviews they have just been doing, Hannah felt herself looking confused in front of the cameras; she felt uncomfortable knowing the cameras are focusing on her, even if her members also were sitting there and for an idol to be uncomfortable in front of cameras is really not the way it should be and she knows that. The irritation she got when coming back from Sweden is still sitting in her nerves and she kept looking down at her hands clasped together or to her side at her members that like always are comfortable and relaxed doing the interviews.

She is thinking of her own behaviour so much that she barely notices someone sitting down next to her, and she thinks she is fast to hide that she was totally in other thoughts by giving a smile to Jonghyun sitting on her right, but he notices everything about her. Jonghyun is wearing his stage outfit, the white/black pants with matching jacket and t-shirt. He always looks good, somehow always manages to look y even if he is looking at her with the softest eyes she has ever seen. She wants to touch his chin with her fingers when looking at him or at least link her fingers in his, but she can’t since anyone can walk inside the room.

“I can see it isn’t your back disturbing you now,” he mentions for her, and Hannah admits that her back was hurting just during the first hour after their rough pre-recording. They are sitting next to each other in the sofa, talking in low voices while letting the others in the room make the noise and talk as if the two of them aren’t there. But if you walked by the room, you wouldn’t take notice of them, and that’s good. Hannah lowers her head when it gets quiet between them, knowing he is watching her, and she is looking at her own hands in her lap where she has a blanket and then at his hands that he has on his own lap, seeing how he is on the end of his jacket sleeve.

“I don’t know what to say about it,” she whispers to him, knowing exactly why he is looking at her like this.

Jonghyun glances out in the room, quiet, the time around them feels like it has slowed down and they are talking in soft voices. She looks up at him, then also takes a glance over the room where Minho is trying to win some chocolate cookies that Emelia is eating, and Carolina is trying to convince their manager to let her go run to some girl-group’s dressing-room for a quick chat. He has been curious to know about her trip to Sweden, to know what she thinks and feels over it; because a part of him knows that the words she doesn’t tell him are words she can’t get out of her head. His confused girlfriend whose family by blood doesn’t contact her unless the want money; he knows she got thoughts about it, anger and sorrow, and now she doesn’t have anything left in Sweden rather than her members’ families. Their eyes meet when they look at each other again.

“Okay,” he tells her and Hannah who had been on her way to look away from him keeps her eyes on his by his answer, “I just wanted to see you face to face when you said that, to know if it was true or not.”

“I wouldn’t lie to you,” she whispers.

The corner of his mouth goes up in a small smile by her words. “I know.” His voice is sweet; it is the same when chocolate melts in your mouth. It itches in her lips to kiss him, having him this close without touching him. “But you met some friends in Sweden, didn’t you?”

Hannah smiles by the memory of meeting the ladies’ families. “The ladies made me bring Christmas presents with me to their families, but their families had also prepared Christmas gifts. Which we are of course supposed to open on Christmas, but Emelia was shaking the presents to try guess what’s in it – so Manager Lim ended up taking it all from us. He will give them back on the 24th,” Hannah answers and she keeps smiling while explaining it for him and Jonghyun is smiling while watching her.

Hannah sits there and talks with Jonghyun until the group has to leave. Julia sat down with them too, but just for about two minutes before they had to get their things. Hannah has been a lot in contact with the little Kyung Ho the past few days too, the little boy is spending his Christmas with his grandmother and he is just as negative about his family as Hannah is familiar about herself, so she tells him to have fun because having fun makes time flies.

While the girl-group is filming the variety show, they get told during the break of the recording that a surprise happened at Music Bank – [Daze] got first place.

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

Headline 21st: 5 Pieces Sends Their Christmas Greetings

Headline 21st: Music Bank Gets In A [Daze] With 5 Pieces’ Performance + WIN!

Headline 21st: [Daze] Dominates The Music Charts In Korea + Other Asian Countries