Chapter 29

Youngest of Pieces - [Black & White] (7)

 

All five members are sitting on the sofa, their heads pushed together as they are focusing on a practice video that Julia is holding as she is sitting in the middle. All of them are focusing; their expressions serious and they look at the details and try to hear the music from the recorder as there are other voices talking in the room. Some entertainment news program is filming them, though the members don’t seem to notice.

“Have you girls memorized everything?” Manager Lim’s voice is heard in the room.

“Yea~” Maria and Julia both answers, not looking up from the video. Maria leans away from the video, sitting uncomfortable as she is leaning over Hannah to see. “Appa, the audio on that thing is weird.”

“That’s the old one,” he answers and gives her a bottle of water when she leaves her seat. “Have you all warmed up?”

5 Pieces did a pre-recording of their two songs to Music Core earlier and are now waiting to start their third album fan meeting, the first one. While being busy preparing for their comeback performances, the girls have prepared to spend time with their fans through a close meeting but like wherever they are going they keep practicing in hope to notice things in their performances that they can do better while they are backstage. As the fan meeting is closing in, the girls’ starts to warm up their voices and bodies, practices until the last minute and goes through what to say and what order to do things.

All of them are wearing the same kind of drawstring-waist jacket with the concept of their [Black & White] (they have the same outfits as they had on Music Core) and Hannah has under the open jacket a long top that isn’t all to fitting with a wide elasticized belt tight around her waist with a pair of sheer stripe panel leggings. The jackets are in a dark blue colour, and most of them have their tops in a blue colour too, which Hannah’s belt is. Nervously as the minutes are being counted down for the beginning of the fan meeting Hannah keeps fiddling with the belt, making stylist Yong Hyun want to hit her hands and tell her to stop.

“You look worried,” the woman filming backstage says when approaching Hannah. The girl notices it isn’t for their ‘Life of Pieces’ that also is filming, so she guesses it is for some entertainment news program that will either document for the comeback or just the fan meeting. Hannah can’t help that her face looks worried as she is nervous about the fan meeting.

“It is our first fan meeting in … a really long time. I don’t really know what to say or… what they expect,” Hannah answers and when she sees Yong Hyun give her a glare she takes her hands away from her belt. “I’m always nervous and worried before going on the stage, but once I’m on the stage I usually feel better.”

“How does it feel to meet all fans again, especially the way everyone have waited for this comeback?”

“It’s exciting. I think it’s the first time we (5 Pieces) have been this active- this actively excited for our comeback. Because we have had a lot of different activities this year, we too have looked forward to make a comeback just as our fans have looked forward and waited,” Hannah is answering, now too being active with hand movements and changes in her voice. “Hopefully they won’t be disappointed.”

She gives a final smile before they are told to head to the stage.

The place is filled with fans patiently waiting for 5 Pieces, as they do know 5 Pieces is in the building. The fan meeting starts off with the girls performing [-erase you-], having the fans scream and sing along like nothing heard before. When the song ends, a male MC steps and the girls gets to stand in a line to introduce themselves – of course they all first have to comment on how loud the fans are, receiving more screaming. It is from the beginning a very friendly mood. 5 Pieces sits down on a row on high chairs, Hannah finding her self unable to sit first so her cheeks get red when Julia leans over to help her get the chair down lower and the fans are screaming their lungs out.

“Sorry,” Hannah apologizes as the MC had tried to start the meeting but the fans had gone wild by having Julia help Hannah. Hannah takes her seat, letting the MC start and she takes her finger to her lips and gives a face to the fans to quiet down.

“The album is receiving a lot of attention, seven songs have reached the TOP20!” the male MC says in a surprised voice and the moment the audience start to cheer, Maria gets up from her seat to raise her hands to the air; Julia and Hannah claps their hands while Carolina gets up from her seat to give a cheering shout and some dance moves, getting a hot response. Only after sitting down again – Maria struggling to get the blanket over her bare legs, wearing a fitting short dress again – they actually say something.

“Have you all bought the album?” Carolina asks the fans just when Emelia was about to say something and while half of the fans are answering to Carolina, the other half shouts when Emelia is about to kick Carolina sitting next to her for being so loud.

“The response is good,” Maria mentions, either talking about the fans now or about the album.

“It seems like the album came out well,” Emelia says.

“Was there some interesting events at the music video filming?”

“Emelia’s acting surprised us,” Julia answers and Emelia gives happy v-sign to the fans.

“But our baby was the best in [-erase you-],” Maria tells and she looks to her right at the MC, avoiding looking at Emelia sitting on her left. “She and Chanyeol had chemistry.”

“It was so awkward, Maria!” Hannah says, leaning forward to see the leader sitting furthest away from her, fans laughing as they say different things. “Acting is acting, but we were really awkward with each other.”

“Because the scenes they filmed together were either of Hannah crying or them fighting, of course that would be awkward,” Maria waves her hand to her. “Puzzle, did you think they did well together?”

The answers are different from the large area of fans but Hannah laughs behind her hand when hearing someone scream out that Hannah should stay away from him (Chanyeol). Carolina is nodding, saying she is doing her best to keep boys a distance from their magnae. Fans just can’t stop screaming today.

“In the music video, I save Hannah,” Emelia tells Carolina, looking at her as if Carolina should apologize for telling their fans the wrong information; that the truth of that Emelia is the one keeping boys on a distance from their magnae, not Carolina. None of them do it in reality though.

“Something that happened at the set, of [Black & White],” Julia starts to say, “is that while we were filming at the gym, we wanted to try the boxing ring. And around the ring there are these thick ropes, right? Both when getting on and getting off, Carolina hit her head on the rope!”

They all starts to laugh and give their own comment about that, all of the girls excited of the topic and the fans are just as excited to hear about it. They also talk about the choreography, telling Maria to show it to the fans for a change instead of Carolina or Emelia. Maria confidently gets up; pointing at Carolina who suggested it and says she will give back later. Maria looks ready to start when her face goes blank and she looks at her members. “How do I do it? No, wait, wait, I know, I know, just show me first,” she is saying, waving her hand and their fans laughs while Emelia steps up and quickly shows before she sits down and tells Maria to now show it. Maria looks angry at her. “Ya! You don’t know it right!”

Spending time with fans is always precious, even if it is the girls’ foolish behaviour that makes the fans react and have fun. Seeing the happy faces of their fans will always be precious. If their fans are bored, they aren’t doing their work well; so Hannah is happy to see the large audience seem to have a lot of fun. The girls are fooling around just to make them laugh too. Those sitting down while having Maria show the choreography sings on her command the part of the dance she does. At one part of the choreography, the girls aren’t singing along but instead just doing the melody with sounds and their fans is about to faint over how cute Hannah and Julia are while both Emelia and Carolina does it coolly with dark voices. With an overdoing sigh, Maria takes a seat and says they should do something else than dancing now.

“Sing Rainbows Colours!” someone in the audience requests. When one person has said it, more fans starts to shout it out to be heard.

“[The Rainbows Colours]?” Julia hears and turns to her members. “Should we sing a bit for them?”

“I don’t feel like it,” Carolina childishly says and crosses her arms over her chest. When the fans asks her why sadly, all of them doing it in chorus – Hannah leans forward to look over at Carolina, also wondering why. “Why do all of you decide what we will do?” Carolina asks (of course joking) and she points out at the audience with a serious face expression. Emelia flies up from her chair, grabbing Carolina at the collar and says she can’t talk like that to their fans, telling her they will go to the back to talk. Carolina starts to cry (not a real cry) and apologizes to Emelia, saying she was just joking and that she didn’t mean it. Emelia looks seriously at Carolina, letting her go for Carolina to bow and sadly apologize for their fans for her bad joke. The fans love it though.

While they decide to sing [The Rainbows Colours], the fans are suddenly laughing so the girls looks at Carolina who was about to fall off the chair because it is a slippery seat and there is nothing to lean back on; which Carolina seemed to have forgotten as when she leaned back she lost her balance and almost fell, so fans laughed after that she regained her balance.

“Ya, you think you are the main here?” Maria bursts out, standing up, holding the microphone to and with the other hand holding on to her blanket. “Sit still and sing.”

“Yes, Captain,” Carolina apologizes again and the fans just laugh. Maria shakes her head when taking her seat, muttering for Puzzle that they are impossible.

They start to sing the ballad [The Rainbows Colours] from their new album, a song that easily have been described as a song dedicated to fans – which was why their fans wants them to sing it. First off they make their fans quiet down and then they sing the chorus together

[CHORUS, 5 Pieces] *You are like the rainbow,

Filled with colours to not make this day feel so gray

You are like the rainbow,

Filled with colours to not make this world feel so gray

[Carolina] The way you look at me from afar and close,

(You are like the rainbow, the rainbows colours)

[5 Pieces] I am filled with love*

The chorus is sung beautifully, their voices melting in well together and the audience waving their hands above their heads along to the melody. The moment they are done, the audience cheers and Hannah looks embarrassedly down – she pretends it’s nothing, just resting her hands with the microphone on her lap and she looks down at it embarrassedly. Carolina gives a happy sound, leaving her seat to say they (5 Pieces) did the performance better than she expected, so she is a little proud over it. While they had been singing, Julia bent forward and some fans reacted on that so Julia looked at them with a weird face-expression as she in fact was just going to remove some dust on her calf.

“What song was that?” the MC asks the girls, as the fans seemed to definitely know what song it is. Carolina again almost falls back in her chair when she was about to answer, and as she doesn’t answer right away while trying to regain her balance, Julia answers.

“It’s a song from our album where we tell our fans that their support and love is like the colours of the rainbow – it’s dedicated to Puzzle.”

The fans screams loudly, showing that they all know it and love it and Carolina puts her hands up above her head to do a heart and several of the fans do a heart back to her. Emelia gets off her seat to lean forward and pick up a bottle of water, some fans going crazy just by her doing that and Emelia smiles when taking her seat, happy over the reaction of her getting a bottle of water. She turns to the side in her seat when drinking, turning to Carolina, and when she is done she gives it to Carolina who lightly had motioned with her hand to get some. Meanwhile, the others continues to talk about the song; Maria tells that the album is dedicated to fans, but that this song in particular was written for their fans – 5 Pieces’ song that expresses how thankful they are.

Next in the segment is a questionnaire; questions had on beforehand been written on papers (questions that fans had written down when entering the hall) and then folded to be put in a bowl, and the MC is now standing with that bowl. He shakes it and walks in front of the girls to let them each take a question without unfolding the paper. When deciding whose note they will look at first, fans starts to scream Carolina, and she can’t understand why but in the end Maria makes the decision and says Carolina will be first. She unfolds the paper and reads out loud;

“’What does SHINee Key’s clothes mean to Maria?’”

Hannah opens widely, claps her hands and laughs with the others when hearing the question. Carolina shows the note for everyone to see that it is actually written and Emelia turns her chair towards Maria, saying in the microphone that she has been wondering the same thing. Maria starts off laughing, stuttering in the microphone when asking their fans why they brings that up – in ‘Life of Pieces’, Key had said that Maria takes his clothes, so it has become a hot topic recently – and she also asks her members why they get so excited, making everyone laugh even more.

The MC seems to be the only clueless one, asking them what the question means.

“I,” Maria starts off saying and she raises her hand for everyone to be quiet, “I, am not much to follow trends, okay? But these ladies still say I am the fashion queen-”

“We have never said that,” Emelia says but Maria ignores her.

“- and since I love clothes, I can’t avoid having something I like. You understand? If you see a cookie, no one is eating it, and you are hungry, of course you eat it! So I borrow Key’s clothes at times because he has gorgeous clothes,” Maria explains. Others laugh over her way to talk and explain, Emelia telling her she is just talking nonsense. “And don’t think it’s anything wrong with borrowing clothes. We all borrow from each other. I seriously don’t know why he had to say it like that. Puzzle and Shawol, do not worry, we all love each other and there are no hard feelings, okay?”

“Don’t you have your own clothes?” Emelia asks her, still having her chair turned around to Maria as if she is going to question her. Maria looks shocked to get the question, then asking their rapper angrily whose side she is on.

The next question is the one Maria had chosen; ‘Hannah, please do aegyo (buing buing)!’ and the ladies quickly turns to Hannah who acts like she didn’t hear the question. She pouts and shakes her head when they are telling her to do it, the fans squealing over their behaviour and Hannah suddenly brings the microphone to to ask the fans what they are so excited for.

“Please do it,” Carolina begs on the side.

“But I’m not good at it,” Hannah whines – everything Hannah says or does is cute to fans, but it is not the typical aegyo kind. But everyone pushes her so she says ‘okay, okay’ repeatedly to make them stop, and she looks out at the audience. “If you all do it, I will do it.”

It’s fun. The audience starts to do the cute action for buing buing that has gotten so popular and the ladies starts to laugh and put their hands to their cheeks by how cute their fans are. Hannah sighs when it is her turn, saying she can’t back down after seeing everyone doing it for her. Carolina does it first, very happy about doing aegyo/being cute. Hannah takes a deep breath, laughing embarrassedly while preparing herself and she puts her fist up by her cheek, breathing in to prepare and she then takes down her hand, making the fans scream as they had hoped to see it.

“Don’t you want to see Emelia do it instead?” Hannah asks. The fans would want to see that, but Emelia looks like she wants to shoot laser at Hannah and when fans starts to call out Emelia’s name, the rapper leaves her seat and walks over to Hannah.

“You want to die?” Emelia threatens Hannah when stepping up to her and Hannah laughs, taking out her hands and shakes her head. Emelia blocks the view from the fans and Julia laughs as she sitting next to Hannah sees how Emelia just tells her to not make her do it. Emelia pats Hannah kindly (threatening) before she walks over to take her seat, and Hannah says she will quickly finish it. She cutely does buing buing with one hand, holding the microphone to with the other and she laughs shyly when she has done it; her members like it just as much as their fans. Hannah is fast to say they should continue with the next question, cutely shaking her hand by her ear and shaking her head when fans want her to do it again or saying she is so cute. Hannah unfolds her note, not responding, and reads up her question; ‘SM artist is said to have X-files; does 5 Pieces have them too?’

Maybe it was last year, but there was a lot of fun talking about SNSD and Super Junior’s X-Files (things the agency have told them to do and not to do). And true, 5 Pieces have them too.

“I clearly know that they have told Carolina to not overdo things,” Maria answers, “but she is the opposite; she always overdoes things. Nonstop, all the time, like crazy! Even when being told not to overdo something, she still does it!”

Hannah is nodding, agreeing and she laughs when fans gives a shout about Carolina acting calm, saying she has no idea of what it is about. The girls look at her, saying she definitely knows what it is about. Carolina smiles, turns her head to the side and brings her shoulders up to her ears. “But don’t our fans love me for it?” she asks in this overly cute voice that makes them laugh; Emelia shows her dislike and Julia leans forward to ask the MC if they could turn off Carolina’s microphone. “Why? Don’t you like it too?” Carolina asks her in the same overly childish cute voice.

In the end they just ignore Carolina, continuing. “My X-File says that I should talk more,” Julia says by herself, laughing when Carolina turns to her and asks in that over doing voice if she wants to drink some water. Julia pushes her away with her hand to continue talking, smiling. “For Hannah, they tell her to always smile and act cute, because she is the youngest. And for Emelia …”

Hannah tried to ignore a fan in the audience ask her to act cute again, while Emelia smirks to the fans; Julia stops to talk with a confused look as she doesn’t know what it is for Emelia and the rapper asks fans what they think it could be. “Scary!” – “don’t ever laugh!” and a lot of weird answers. Julia then remembers what it is and continues;

“Actually, in her X-File it tells her to glare a lot … and …”

“And be mysterious,” Emelia finishes off with small eyes out over the fans that screams as she is doing it for fun.

“Maria is always told to think before talking,” Carolina is fast to say in her annoying voice, pointing over at the leader, and this time it is actually Julia who gets up to hit her on the arm, tell her to not talk like that. Carolina grimaces at her. “I’ll quit if our magnae does aegyo with me.”

The audience seems to love the idea as their tone of screaming goes up two octaves and Hannah asks why they had to bring her in. They are comfortable on the stage with the fans. Hannah sighs but gets up from her seat, fans giving a scream when seeing her preparing herself and carefully she starts to do a cute pouting face towards Carolina, still standing in front of her own chair and fans shouts when seeing it.

“Hm!” Hannah cutely says in the microphone, kind of aegyo/baby talk. Maria can’t hide how much she loves it, laughing and leaning her head back. Carolina likes it too, but cutely imitates Hannah. “Don’t do that, Unnie!” Hannah pouts at her. Maria says that she is adorable.

“Why?” Carolina asks her, also getting up from her seat. Hannah laughs, embarrassed but goes back into her cute character. She knows what Carolina wants her to do, something they did a long, long time ago when Hannah definitely had the baby character of the group.

“Magnae gets jealous when you act cute!” she pouts in her cutest voice (talking about herself in third person), hitting her hand cutely in the air and the screams from all around her are so loud and light that she gets embarrassed and runs to the back of the stage, jumping because it is just so embarrassing to do something like that – she is twenty! – and the other members leaves their seat in laughing too. Clapping hands and showing how much they love it, they tell Hannah to come back. Not until they have continued to talk, Hannah quietly returns to her seat, waving her hand to her red face.

Carolina gets asked to show her girl-group dance specialism, and though she shows a lot of different dances, Hannah gets excited to get up and do only one. When SISTAR’s [Alone] comes, Hannah almost falls off the chair when getting on her feet, hurrying to dance a bit of the intro dance. Hannah does that part better than Carolina, though Carolina knows the rest of the dance. Hannah hurries back to her seat when she has done those few seconds. Then the rest of the group battles with her by dancing boy-group dances – SHINee’s [Sherlock] is mostly a mess though they sing the *Oh, I’m curious, YEAH* part extremely well and loud. They do it like letting Carolina do one girl-group song, then the others come with a boy-group song, followed by Carolina challenging and the rest challenging again, and whoever can remember or do the most will win. To make things fair, they only take songs from 2012 – as they could continue forever otherwise. Hannah thought Maria would do best on boy-group dances, but she hasn’t kept an eye on the songs of this year, so when Carolina has done an overdoing version of Secret’s [Poison], Hannah ends up being the only one dancing as she comes up with dancing B.A.P’s [No Mercy] dance. Carolina tells her to loose as she thinks she gives a final blow with Miss A’s new song [I don’t need a man], but the moment it is the other members’ turn, Maria runs out (she had gone to take her seat, giving up, but seemed to come up with something) and she almost slips in her high heels when making a stop, starting to touch her lip with her thumb and reach up her thumb to the sky, having the best face expression and everyone knows what song it is even if she forgets to sing – EXO’s [MAMA].

“You must do something more than that for it to be guilty,” the MC says on the side, having a lot of fun with the battle of dances.

Hannah steps up too and starts to do that hand twist dance and Maria joins her while Carolina for some reason is the one singing excitedly. Hannah and Maria doesn’t know the correct dance, but they know the important things fans can catch and they do it a little messily before ending, Maria telling the MC that is counted. Though, in the end, Carolina still wins as the girls can’t come up with more dances after that. While taking their seats from the battle, a fan asks out loudly who Hannah prefers; B.A.P or EXO. As the two boy groups are battling as rookies of the year and are always seen to be giving and given a lot of love back and forth from not really 5 Pieces, but from Hannah. She appeared on radio with B.A.P, one of their members confessed he is her fan; she has been coupled up with EXO Chanyeol in their music video and fans have coupled up her with Kai because they danced together.

Hannah raises her eyebrows questioning when hearing the fan ask that question. She is lifting up her drawstring jacket when taking a seat, looking like she can’t seem to understand the question. Julia, hearing better than her, repeats the question to Hannah who leans back with the same weird face expression at the fan.

“Seriously?” is all Hannah manages to ask the fan, making them laughs at her reaction. Maria says in the background ‘why so serious?’ from the Batman movie, receiving more laughter probably because most of them think of G-Dragon when hearing that. “Um…”

“Ideal! Ideal!” the fan changes her question. “Who is your ideal man among them?!”

Hannah laughs and she feels like everyone is attacking her today, even asking if this is a prank. Maria flirts with the fans when saying she knows who Hannah thinks is the most handsome. “Hannah likes eye-candy,” Maria reveals and the fans scream when hearing that as it isn’t the first time. “But for everyone’s information; only eye-candy, nothing else, so don’t worry.”

“What is that supposed to mean?” Hannah laughs. The fans still want an answer. “Don’t hate me, okay? I love both groups and I think they are all wonderful, but whenever I see this member, I think he is the perfect eye-candy of 2012.” She smiles while fans screams at her, some jealous and some curious. “Who do you think it is?”

Several of answers are heard, names from B.A.P and EXO and some even shouting “NONE!” in desperate voices. Hannah gets all shy over how cute their fans are and her own members seems to enjoy it too. Quietly she answers, lowering her head. The fans at the front scream but not everyone hears it, so Hannah says it louder; “EXO Kai.” Her members gives a ‘ooooh’ sound and clears things up for rumours or anything by saying “only eye-candy, remember?” to their fans.

After answering some more things, fans still wants Emelia to do aegyo, but she says she will do something cool instead. She turns to the side and looks out over the audience with her fingers under her chin, giving them her infamous stare – in the end; she still does buing buing as Puzzle isn’t satisfied. Carolina also makes everyone start to scream when she takes off her jacket, so she stops and looks shocked at them, asking what is going on in their minds. Things that fans really will take notice of is when Julia asked Hannah for a bottle of water on the side and Hannah quietly went to get it while the others were talking, of how Maria was nonstop troubled with her blanket over her legs as it kept falling so she had to hold on to it all the time, Carolina said Emelia has a erted mind as she kept touching her own bra strap (what now is erted with that can only Carolina know), how Hannah stretched out her legs when sitting on the chair and she seemed to be really focused on her sheer leggings when doing it, Julia seemed aware of that her tank top under the loose blue top was almost more visible than the actual top when she was sitting down because the top was so loose so she kept moving it to make it visible and Hannah seemed uncomfortable wearing the wide belt as she kept hugging the jacket around her to hide what she wore under.

Before leaving they perform [Black & White] and [Switch], and Carolina kept pointing at the fans while Hannah still has a bad habit of winking nonstop – every since [I Love You] last year she has been winking uncontrollably during performances, finding it annoying herself. But the fans seem to have loved the fan meeting, getting to see the personalities of 5 Pieces once again.

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

Headline 20th: Maria Explains The Misunderstanding About Her Stealing Clothes From SHINee’s Key

Headline 20th: 5 Pieces’ Third Album Fan Meeting Gathers Thousand Of More Fans Than The Venue Can Take

Headline 20th: Hannah Chooses EXO-K’s Kai As Her Ideal Man In EXO & B.A.P

Headline 20th: 5 Pieces Makes A Strong & y Comeback On Music Core With [-erase you-] & [Black & White]

 

Headline 21st: NYLON Magazine Released With Special ‘Fighters Return’ By 5 Pieces

Headline 21st: Fans In Shock Over 5 Pieces’ Growth For Third Album

Headline 21st: Is 5 Pieces Taking Pills To Manage Their Schedules?

Headline 21st: 5 Pieces Is Back On Inkigayo With Flawless Performances Of [-erase you-] & [Black & White]

Headline 21st: SM Entertainment Confirms International Version Of [Black & White] Release Next Month