Chapter 12

Youngest of Pieces - [Black & White] (7)

Jonghyun, Onew and Hannah join in with the ping-pong playing for a few minutes. Hannah keeps glancing towards the doors to the nearest building, then at the children coming around the corner from the building behind it. She keeps looking, keeps waiting. She doesn’t know if she wants to see them. She doesn’t know if it will be good or bad. She should’ve come without cameras, without anyone. Maybe they should go now when they don’t know she is there?

Just as that thought comes, a familiar blonde head comes out through the black door. Hannah looks shocked. The boy is tall – to her chin maybe – and he got a thick blonde hair covering half of his eyes that he keeps moving with a flip of his head, but it covers his entire forehead and won’t be budged. He looks like he will get tall, as he is still young and growing; big eyes, a nose almost identically cute to Hannah’s, and from every angle he looks like the perfect little model. Hannah has always thought so, the little boy who can never come out bad in a picture.

What should she do? Call his name? Run up to him? Pretend she didn’t see him?

But he has grown so much since she saw him last year, shockingly a lot. He still looks like this little brother, but he is so tall and she wonders if she still will win in arm-wrestling against him. When he looks over at the ping-pong table, he keeps walking to it. Hannah smiles when seeing how he acts cool. He had seen her.

“Hi, Hannah,” he simply says and walks right up to the other side of the table to try push himself to a position. Sebastian hasn’t changed.

“Is that how you greet your sister?” Hannah asks and walks around the table, putting her arms around his neck from behind – he surely has grown, but he is still much shorter than her – and she gives him a peck on the hair. Sebastian is the cool brother; he doesn’t talk much and he rather uses his fists than anything else, though it is always just when fooling around. He is way too young to get into fights, but he still is always using a cute voice from time to time – especially when he wants something. He doesn’t mind her hugging him, but he pretends to wait for her to let him go so he can play. It’s been over a year; of course he would miss her even if his friends are around.

“HANNAH!” a boy runs out from the other door of the building. This boy got shorter, darker hair and glasses. He is thin but got the same long legs as his brother. Hannah thinks again that they have grown so much, and she wonders how tall they will get – 190cm? “I saw you on TV this morning! Yesterday too! You are everywhere!”

Theodor comes running up to her, giving her a hug and talking nonstop. Jonghyun glances at Onew, them both probably thinking the same; Sebastian and Hannah surely look more alike, but Theodor and Hannah talk just the same. All three of them have the same thin lips, her brothers got the same nose that resembles to Hannah’s and Theodor got the same small eyes that Hannah has behind those glasses. And still, they don’t share the same father.

“Why have you grown so much? I barely recognize you,” Hannah says, ruffling her brother’s hair while looking down at his face.

“I’m soon taller than you,” Theodor proudly says, in a matter of fact tone in his voice. Her brothers are smart, and they know it, and they show it. “When I saw you on TV, I barely recognized you. It was your friends I saw first. You look really different. It’s really weird… I told all my class that you are on TV. Your posters are everywhere!”

Jonghyun nods for himself. Definitely related. He got no idea of what the boy is talking about, but it isn’t hard to understand that he talks just like Hannah can do at times. Maybe she doesn’t do it in Korean often, but he has many times seen and heard her talk like that to her members, and at times on the phone too. Sebastian is already playing games with his friends, and Theodor keeps talking to Hannah.

A teacher comes out too. She comes out from the fourth building that had been in front of them before when walking. Hannah had told them it was where they had textile handicraft and home economics. The teacher is long and skinny, old too, with brown-gray hair in a tidy pony-tail and glasses over her long nose. Hannah didn’t see her first, but the teacher came to see what was happening and she shot up in a smile when seeing Hannah. The cameras don’t miss their chat. It is an old teacher of Hannah’s, and this teacher has followed the news well.

“I was so surprised to see my old students on TV,” she says in a light voice, standing next to Hannah in front of the cameras. She sounds strict, which she also is, but she talks kindly. “The kitchen became a mess with them. Hannah was in another group than Emelia and Maria – the last two made such a mess that whenever we were going to cook I had to made sure they were across the room from each other. Carolina burnt her food all the time, I remember. It’s been four years already… You surely have blossomed, Hannah.”

Hannah smiles at the words. She is still trying to remember the teacher’s name.

They leave short after. Hannah hugs both her brothers one last time, hearing them ask if she is going to sleep over or eat dinner with them or anything. She says she is heading back to Korea, which makes them both say she just came back. She feels bad for leaving them. She wished she could’ve spent a day with them, getting to catch up with what she has missed for these 15 months. But she has to leave, pinching their cheeks like she always does.

The crew keeps walking, now heading to Emelia’s house. Another filming crew is there already, filming Emelia and her family. Emelia is apparently showing around in the garage for the documentary when Hannah and the others arrive. Her father owns a classic old American car, and Emelia is showing it off. The one opening the door is Emelia’s mother, and she greets Hannah as warmly as she always does.

“I have prepared food for you to eat,” she says when leading Hannah up the stairs to the rest of the house. “Both for now and for when you are waiting at the airport. Who knows when you will get to eat this great food again? Ah, those thoughts should not be here.”

Hannah spent a lot of her childhood here. She did so much with Emelia in this house, playing with toys and writing, watching her very first DBSK video in Emelia’s room… The memories. A lot of Emelia’s family is there, not just her parents and grown-up sister who has her own family but also her grandparents and two of her father’s friends. Taemin has been there too; he came along to the garage, but when coming back he looks relieved to see there are some familiar faces. It must’ve been awkward for him to meet Emelia’s family on his own; Hannah can understand that as she once was in the same situation. Many, many years ago that was.

During the visit, Jonghyun asks Hannah quietly if she is tired, because he knows she hasn’t slept all night. “I’ll sleep on the plane,” she tells him.

Jonghyun smiles at that, that charming smile off his. “Aren’t you going to read for me on the plane?” he asks her with the smile printed in his face. Hannah laughs and he adds that she should read the Korean version this time. She just nudges his arm and walks by with a smile, shaking her head, but she still knows that she will quietly read for him on the plane if he asks her there. Jonghyun isn’t much for reading – unless it’s manga – so he has constantly asked Hannah to read her book to him.

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

Lee Sooman is sitting in a chair at SM Entertainment, cameras in front of him all turned to film him. Everyone has returned from Sweden and while 5 Pieces is currently doing a concert in Nanjing with EXO-M, Lee Sooman had scheduled an interview with ‘MBC Good Day, 5 Pieces Tour ’12 in Sweden Behind Story’. 5 Pieces will also sit like this once they return. He has prepared what to say and what to bring up, and he is ready when the cameras start rolling.

“When I first met 5 Pieces, they were these energy balls,” is the first thing the founder of SM Entertainment reveals. The person who has prepared subjects to talk about asks him what he means with energy balls. “The ladies were filled with this excited and nervous energy and whenever they heard music they would start to sing or dance or just simply move. I loved that, and I think that was what really made me want to see more of 5 Pieces during the beginning of their audition. They were open to try new things, not afraid at all.”

He remembers when he first saw the clip they had sent in for the audition.

“Five teenage girls, rocking and having fun to one of the TraX’s songs. They lacked a lot, but they entertained. When they came to Korea for the auditions, their first performances were just entertaining. They lacked, but they improved. They found the cameras, they learned the ways to be on the stage to make the audience enjoy while if you saw them practicing they were like free spirits; letting out new ideas and speaking their mind. They where charismatic on the stage, and they were determined off the stage to exceed the expectations people had on them.”

When this part airs on TV, a clip of Maria talking shows;

“Lee Sooman Teacher came to watch our practice a few times. I think he noticed that we were a little taken back with our behaviour, because he said he wanted to see the real us – the free minded pieces.”

They will then go back to Lee Sooman. “5 Pieces got nervous when I came to watch their practice at times. They would just do as instructed, and that was not what I wanted to see. I asked them to be themselves, because at that time I had noticed that the free 5 Pieces was what grabbed attention. They were interesting for me and everyone who saw them, and just during those weeks they grew musically like no one else. I knew we had found our next star.” He continues to talk about 5 Pieces’ image; “5 Pieces had a different image than most girl groups. There was no question how we would let them promote, what songs they would get. 5 Pieces’ [Once Upon A Time] was created for a boy-group. It had the charisma that boy-groups have, but when hearing 5 Pieces sing it … we knew it was made for them. And they had nothing against their cool image. They liked that they were able to give strength to their fans and listeners, though they did it completely different from how for example SNSD does, with songs like [Gee]. 5 Pieces often sings about society and confidence, and I think we did the right choice to do that. They are representing something we haven’t seen before, and they are doing it perfectly.”

DBSK – Yunho and Changmin – also sits down for an interview to the documentary. They are firstly asked about their first thoughts about 5 Pieces when seeing them during the audition four years ago. Yunho smiles when leaning forward in his seat, touching his chin with his fingers while Changmin looks like he tries to remember it.

“I remember loud voices,” Yunho answers with an amusement. “Maria’s voice will always stay imprinted in my memory. They all had a lot of energy when we saw them during that time.”

“What I remember is taking a picture with Hannah. She was really short,” Changmin mentions and when the duo looks at each other Changmin gives off a chuckle. “She had my parts when they covered our songs.”

“But 5 Pieces really grew on us. They looked like little dogs and were like little sisters, because when we first met they were just children, and they were of the age as we were when we prepared to debut,” Yunho continues to say in a manly, older brother way. “They were far from home and were very hardworking, they still are. I still get the feeling of having a responsibility over them, helping them out when they need it…”

“That’s why we went to Sweden, right?” Changmin asks him as if to confirm it in front of the cameras.

“Yes. We went to Sweden to help our juniors on their first solo concert outside Asia. We got to see a different side of 5 Pieces; they were really emotional to perform in their hometown,” Yunho answers. They are both asked why that made them to decide to go to Sweden for 5 Pieces’ concert.

“We have watched 5 Pieces since they were 16 years old, only here in Korea,” Changmin starts to answer. “They are now 20, and just like Yunho said we feel some kind of responsibility over them… maybe because they are like little sisters even if we have only known each other for four years. We have seen all the hard work they have pulled through here in Korea; adapting to our culture, language and fighting to even be able to go up on the stage to perform for their fans.”

“Because of that we didn’t want to miss their first concert in Sweden,” Yunho continues. “We felt like it would be good if we would be there to support them backstage the same way their fans would support them on the stage. I think our message came out to them. They were very thankful that we were there and helped them out a little. Next time we hope to get a tour around like SHINee got, to get to know more about Sweden. We are still jealous over that.”

After coming back from China, while taking turns in the recording studio to finish up the very final song for their comeback album, 5 Pieces will do their individual talks too. But first, their manager – Manager Lim – gets the chance to talk. He looks nervous to be in front of the cameras, the first fifteen minutes spent just getting familiar to the camera before they can start.

“I should reveal some things, right?” manager Lim asks the staff, nodding when the staff nods. If someone knows things about 5 Pieces, it is their manager. “When it comes to the stage, I wouldn’t say they are perfectionists because they allow mistakes, but their number one priority is to let everyone have fun. All of them show affections towards their fans. In the van they all end up reading fan letters and even when the ladies are really tired from their schedule they will think of their fans first. Several of times during this concert tour they want to go outside and give their fans something that shows they appreciate the long waiting, because fans would line up outside even one or two days before the actual concert. At times I need to remind them that they should take care of themselves first.”

“You if anyone have been able to watch 5 Pieces grow from up close. Is there a member who has changed the most and why?”

“I know that the member who has changed the least is Maria. She has always been outgoing and speaks her mind, but all five of them have grown into young ladies now. Before they were just teenagers, but especially with this concert tour, we have been able to seen them grow more as artists. As we are reaching the last concerts of this year, I have noticed that the girls are getting less nervous and they are able to enjoy the concerts more. They all keep an eye on each other; knowing each other weakness and strength and they take more notice of those things too, remembering each other. The member I think who has changed the most is … Carolina. She saw everything with a smile before, and she is still extremely positive, but she is able to see things from different angles and she is able to adapt more to the situations. She is the energy pill of 5 Pieces, but as the ladies get to meet more fans from different countries with their concerts, I think they are realising that all the time they have put in to preparing for the concert is worth it, all thanks to their fans.”

“Fans mean a lot to 5 Pieces?”

“Fans mean everything to 5 Pieces. During the Swedish concert, Maria hurt her ankle towards the end. She forgot the pain and went back up on the stage, because it is a dream coming true for them to have concerts and meet their fans the way they have seen other stars do,” Manager Lim answers. “To them, having a concert in Sweden, means more than just meeting their fans. Through the concert in their hometown the ladies were able to show their fans the place that made 5 Pieces in the beginning. It for them was like opening a book from your childhood, sharing your past with everyone who supports them. I think that is what touched them the most.”

“You are the manager of 5 Pieces since 2008, but you are also the father of 5 Pieces?” the staff wonders, something that before have been mentioned but never explained.

“They call me Appa. It might be childish, but when the ladies came to Korea, they were still growing and trying to find themselves and the biggest part was that they came on their own. Their families were in Sweden; just these five girls were in Korea. They faced a world they only knew from their computer screen. I at times feel like I brought them under my wings. During their debut time, we had a lot of problem communicating, but I still embraced them and told them they are doing well. They feel like my own daughters, even if I am their manager. Most of all we work together, but everyone in Korea have become a family for them. I have learnt Swedish for them too.”

He smiles when starting to reveal some of 5 Pieces’ habits. He thinks it through first, to know where to start.

“Each member in 5 Pieces have habits when it comes to preparing for a new concert performance. Before the stage rehearsal, they warm up. Carolina and Maria seem to always be the first to start warming up, out of nowhere warming up their voices when knowing the rehearsal is soon, and the others follow from that. Hannah is always strict to warm up her body, and all of them are warming up their voices even when they are standing on the stage. Emelia drinks about a whole bottle of water before going up on the stage. Also for most concerts they have guests that feature in some songs, and Emelia always goes over to see how they are doing.”

“Who has the most interest in boys?”

Manager Lim doesn’t really like that question. He thinks as a father and manager, it is not the kind of question he should get. But he knows the answer; 5 Pieces are openly talking about boys all the time. “Maria, I think I should say. All of them like to talk about boys – it’s understandable because they are of that age – but Maria has the most interest.”

“Any habits of the members that is special anyway?”

“A thing that I find very exciting is whenever they are heading to the stage – at a concert or just a single performance – the girls are shouting. Just randomly shouting to get up the tempo. I have also noticed that Emelia tends to pull down her sleeve on the stage to show her collarbone…Ah, and Emelia always have this camera with her, so whenever she gets the chance she takes pictures. But she takes the strangest pictures. When the other members are resting; Carolina sleeps with open, Emelia will appear and take a picture of that. Julia practices in front of the mirror, checking her face expressions and asking if she should do something new. All of them got special and strange habits.”

“APPA!” a voice suddenly interrupts the interview and Manager Lim gets a shock. Coming up behind the staff in front of him is Maria. She slinks through and bends down to get visibly in front of the camera. “Are you talking about us?” She turns around to her manager. “I was wondering where you had disappeared to!”

“Have some respect, Captain, let Ahjussi talk,” Emelia shows up too, walking to stand behind the manager and behind her back so she gets visibly for the cameras too. Maria gives her a glare but takes a step to the side, folding her arms over her chest while looking at their manager who just quietly has been sitting there. She tells him to say whatever he wants to say; she looks at him with small eyes.

“Am I done now?” Manager Lim asks the staff and is about to get up from his seat, the two girls fast to complain and say they want to hear what he says. After some chatting he continues with the interview. “It is hard to keep up with 5 Pieces, but they are warm and kind hearted most of the times and that is what I think people like about them-”

“Do you love us?” Maria suddenly asks; her voice serious but she is smiling at him. Manager Lim continues to nervously look at the camera.

“5 Pieces, I love you,” he confesses and Emelia gives him a hug, telling him they love him too.

Then it is 5 Pieces’ turn. Maria gets to do it first, lining up. She almost fights with Emelia who won’t leave the room, but ends up sitting there by herself finally, breathing out. First, she is asked about the Swedish concert.

“We were all nervous. First arriving in the city, we went straight to rehearsals. And it was crazy. So many people waiting outside; it looked like everyone living there was there! I have never seen so many people at home before. When we … waited for the concert to begin, we could hear the crowd cheering… it’s the same wherever we go when getting up on the stage and we can hear our fans cheering. Just that feeling when taking our positions, I cherish. Even during the first song, I wanted to cry. Because we have heard the voices of our fans around Asia, we have met them and we are familiar with it. While … we are familiar with Sweden in a different way. To meet so many fans in our hometown was totally new to us, and to see the whole arena filled was really touching.”

Maria talks about this and that, knowing not even half of it will be aired but keeps talking anyway.

“DBSK Senior came… First when we were in Sweden, we had no idea they would come. Then they came during our rehearsal … I loved it. It felt more comfortable to have them present, to tell us how we were doing and give us advice. DBSK Senior came to our first concert in Seoul too, so that’s probably why it felt better having them there. But I also think we trust them a lot, because they are seniors and people we admire, so we are very grateful that the came all the way to Sweden.”

“DBSK said they were jealous of SHINee who got a private tour in your hometown,” the staff mentions.

takes a round form when asking if they really said that. She then smiles to the camera, her head slightly on the side. “Next time, I will give you a private tour,” she promises with a special sound to ‘I’.

Maria listens carefully when the staff asks about her childhood dream and how she ended up forming 5 Pieces.

“I didn’t have a specific dream when I was a child. I was mostly just having fun with friends and enjoying the thought of doing a little this and that,” Maria is answering. “Then … my older sisters were listening to Shinhwa and Fly to the Sky and other Korean music; I ended up listening to it too and we were watching X-Man and Love Letter.”

For the broadcast, her voice will be edited to be showed when Maria shows around in her family’s apartment. Her sisters will have posters of Shinhwa and DBSK, old pictures that have been printed out of their idols that today is not active – beside from the two mentioned.

“After bringing my closest friends in to the craziness of k-pop too; I must admit that I got absolutely no idea of how we did it, but out of nowhere we started to call ourselves 5 Pieces. Not for music but just as a group of friends. We just called it among ourselves, even writing on blogs and such that we are going to study with Pieces…”

“What worried you the most about coming to Sweden for your ‘Moon Child’ concert?”

Maria gets quiet by that question. Of course she thinks of Hannah, who wouldn’t be staying with her family, but she can’t say that as no program will mention it. “What worried me the most was probably … oh my gosh, I don’t know. For every concert I get worried if things will go as well as we are hoping for, that no one gets hurt… But personally for this concert, I think I worried about the members the most. How we would react to have a concert in our hometown was probably what I thought most of the time. After both concerts we cried rivers, all of us. It was an amazing concert and I want to see our European fans soon again.”

“Then what is your dream at this moment? What do you want to do?” is the final question.

“My dream is … for everyone to be healthy. That’s probably the most important thing for me now. I want our fans, my pieces and our families and friends to be healthy and take care of themselves,” Maria answers kindly.

Emelia said at that part that she wants to have a world tour, showing a confident smile. “With Puzzle, we can do everything.”

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

Headline 07th: “Entertaining Has Gotten A New Meaning” Said By Swedish Celebrity On Live TV About 5 Pieces’ Concert

 

Headline 08th: Sweden Radio & TV & Magazines Taken Over By 5P Craze & K-Pop

Headline 08th: [I CRY] Reveals To Be The Most Sung Song On Auditions In Korea This Year

 

Headline 09th: 5 Pieces’ Tweets Of Their Return To Korea After Being Home In Sweden

 

Headline 10th: Best Book Of The Week For 6th Week ‘Joe – Under Seoul’s Streets’!

Headline 10th: Hannah Performs [I CRY] With Carolina For World Suicide Prevention Day

Headline 10th: 5 Pieces Heads To China For ‘Moon Child’ Tour

 

Headline 11th: ‘Joe – Under Seoul’s Streets’ Released In Swedish, Japanese And Chinese

Headline 11th: Hannah’s Book Signing In Nanjing, China, Is A Huge Success

Headline 11th: Full Chinese Version For 5 Pieces’ [Panic] LG CF Released

Headline 11th: LG Has A Launch Party In China With 5 Pieces

 

Headline 12th: ‘Moon Child’ Concert Reaches Nanjing, China, With 13,000 Fans Present

Headline 12th: Episode 2 Of ‘Life of Pieces’ Airs With Backstage Footage From Their Bangkok Concert

Headline 12th: Maria Looks Stunning For Her Birthday In Recent ‘Life of Pieces’ Episode

Headline 12th: 5 Pieces’ In The Studio For Japanese Single In ‘Life of Pieces’ Episode 2

Headline 12th: In Latest Episode Of ‘Life of Pieces’ Julia Shows Her Love For EXO In Bangkok

Headline 12th: 5 Pieces Shares Family Photo With EXO-M From China

 

Headline 13th: Park Hyekyung Tweets Of Final Studio Recording With 5 Pieces!