Chapter 16

Youngest of Pieces - [Black & White] (7)

“Something stupid? Am I stupid because I want a family? I want a wife and children, is that stupid? Not every family is like yours, Hannah.”

The moment he said the last part he regretted it. He froze at the same time as Hannah did, realising what he had said but it was too late. Her eyes get teary when she looks to the side, biting together.

“I’m sorry,” Jonghyun mumbles. “I didn’t mean… I didn’t mean it, Hannah.”

Hannah hits away his hand when he tries to touch her, even when he uses more strength to cup her face in his hands she tries to get his hands away by holding on tight to his wrists, twisting her face and body while stepping back until she hits the wall. Hitting the wall is like pressing a button; tears just bursts out. Jonghyun keeps apologizing to her and he is almost hurting her as he has to hold her face tight in his grip to not let her hands push him away.

“Hannah, Hannah, Hannah, Hannah,” Jonghyun keeps repeating fast in a whisper, his face so close to hers that she can feel him breathe on her. Her grips of his wrists loosen, she breathes out but is still crying; she lets him turn her face to look at him. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean that.”

She still doesn’t look at him. She wants to say that he did mean it, but only silent tears come out. He hugs her, putting two heavy arms around her shoulders, holding her tight to his chest. “You meant it,” she whispers against the fabric of his t-shirt. “You meant it,” she repeats with a sigh. “Marriage is nothing but a paper, and it doesn’t mean anything since divorce exists.”

Jonghyun doesn’t know what she says. Her Swedish had come out. Hannah takes another deep breath, and then leans out from his hug. She does it slowly, just for him to not hold on to her harder. Jonghyun looks down at her, seeing how she wipes away the tears with her head down so he can’t see her face clearly.

“I think about 5 Pieces, Jonghyun,” she whispers, still not looking up at him. She feels that she has to say this. “I am here because of them and I will stay because of them. I love you, but if you want to get married, you- you and me won’t work.”

“You won’t ever want to get married?” Jonghyun asks with such a voice that she has to close her eyes. Even looking at his legs won’t work.

“In the future, I don’t know. Now, no.”

“Hannah,” Jonghyun whispers and takes her hand in his. She bites the inside of her lip because her hand is wet from the tears she wiped away. He says her name again for her to look at him, and when she does, he has a calm face. It is calm and sad, but it is something else too that she doesn’t know what it is. “I want to get married – to you. If it is in a week or in ten years, I don’t care: as long as it is me and you.”

“Then why did you get so angry?” Hannah doesn’t get it.

Jonghyun grimaces. “I…- Minho had showed a fan-made video of you and Honggi. And then he told me about that thing about you being a playgirl, and I kind of thought that you would never want to settle… It was a really scary thought-” he gets interrupted by the door opening and Emelia is standing there, looking serious.

“Idiots,” she tells them and takes a step inside, opening the door. “Jonghyun, out, now.”

“We aren’t done,” Jonghyun tells her.

“I do not care,” Emelia shakes her head with a face expression that does say she actually doesn’t care. “Out.”

Jonghyun turns back to Hannah, blocking her view to Emelia. “Everything is okay between us, right?” he asks, slightly wiping away a trace of a tear from her cheek. Hannah nods, but she doesn’t say anything. Since Emelia is by the door – and Maria is standing around the corner too – Jonghyun leaves. Hannah gets to fix her face from the tears before they have to go to the airplane, neither Maria or Emelia asks her how things went, they think they can ask later in more private than at the airport. Their managers look suspicious; Tiffany is quickly approaching Hannah the moment they can leave their seats on the plane.

Hannah just wants to be left alone. She writes on the laptop, listens to music and her fingers are flying in fast speed as she writes in the same speed as she thinks of the words. Whenever she is upset or sad or feeling down, writing is the only thing she feels the most comfortable doing. Words just floats out of her, she comes up with ideas even if her head feels empty, sentences making themselves through her fingers pressing the keys. It gives her kind of a satisfaction to know that she has published a book, and just that the book hasn’t gotten forgotten but is gaining more popularity… The satisfaction is probably not because the book has been published; it is because people keep reading it. 5 Pieces will have their concert in Yokohama on Monday, and the next day Hannah will have a book signing there. She has had book signings in Korea, Japan, and China and even in Sweden, and every time it amazes her how many people there are interesting in reading the book. People speaking in a language she can’t even understand, she stays more amazed and curious. The book helps her think of other things. She doesn’t have to think about Jonghyun, her members, her image of being an idol; she can think of imagination characters, a world in our world that only exists in the book and imaginations. She can think of other things for a while at least…

Jonghyun leans over the seat next to Hannah’s, leaning forward so when he waves his hand in front of her she looks at him. He just gives her a nod towards the back. Hannah glances at the back before he leaves. Hannah turns off her laptop, glances around and by the time she has put away the laptop she leaves her seat.

With a knock on the door he lets her inside the tiny toilet space on the plane. It feels weird. No excitement of sneaking, it just feels weird. Hannah wonders how no one would notice them both being in the toilet, even if they left at different times. But most people are sleeping on the plane now. She looks up at Jonghyun after that he has locked the door, her toes touching his in the small space. Jonghyun sits down on the toilet seat behind him, not taking a step forward but just simply bending his knees to sit down. If she can, Hannah often avoids going to the toilets on the airplanes. It is often hard to avoid on longer flights, but she still tends to avoid it if she can.

“Since we were interrupted earlier, I thought this would be the last time for a few days…” Jonghyun starts off, his eyes steadily resting on hers. He looks tired, calm, and his voice is soft.

“I thought we cleared things out before,” Hannah mutters.

“You are still upset, so that means we haven’t cleared things out,” Jonghyun softly answers. He knows what the problem is.

“Why do you think I’m upset?” Hannah shrugs her shoulders, as if she isn’t upset.

“You look upset and you isolate yourself. I bet you have been writing something nasty about me on your laptop that you haven’t looked away from for more than a few seconds since we took off.” Jonghyun answers and he knows it is true because Hannah’s lower lip comes out a little – maybe not that she has been writing nasty things about him, but just that she has been isolating herself. A stubborn expression, which he knows means he is right. “I know I did wrong earlier. Not just about what I said about your family – I’m sorry for that – but also for getting angry about the future. I don’t know but every time family or the future is brought up, you shut yourself out of the conversation, and that has started to freak me out. And you’re doing it again!”

“I’m not, I’m not,” Hannah is fast to say over the sudden words, shaking her head. But he looks at her with deep eyes and she sighs. “I… My mom raised me well, okay? I have nothing to complain about how I was raised or how I lived. I love my … family, even if we are like we are today. It’s just… that …”

“You don’t want a family?” Jonghyun tries to finish her sentence.

“No. I do want a family; maybe, I just don’t want it to be ruined. My father was kicked out of the house because he was cheating, and I grew up seeing him with a new girl every other month. My mom worked her off to support three children that weren’t even five years old… and I just… I don’t know…”

“Do you think I would do that to you?” Jonghyun wonders, his voice also asking her if she really think he would do such a thing, some kind of surprise and disappointment in his voice as well.

She shakes her head for answer. She never thinks he would do that, not Jonghyun. “I’m just not ready to think about it…”

Hannah doesn’t really know what she is scared of. She doesn’t think Jonghyun would leave like her father did, but at the same time she is very clueless about her life – like the people around her saying, she is naïve at times. Just the thought of having a boyfriend is still sinking in to her, and they have been together for two years. Talking about kids and marriage is something she doesn’t want to do in at least ten years. Or she doesn’t know… With her body condition and her schedule, she doesn’t even know if she will live in ten years. She usually tries to avoid thinking about it, so she stops now too.

When her eyes focus again she notices that Jonghyun is observing her. She asks what it is.

“Not upset anymore? I don’t know what more to say…”

Her smile is weak, but it is a smile. She nods. “I’m not upset.”

“Good,” Jonghyun smiles and stands up, putting his arms cutely around her neck, smiling down at her face, “because I have wanted to kiss you all day.”

Hannah laughs when he kisses her. But then she remembers something and leans her head back to get her lips back. “Wait… what about you being angry and upset?”

“I’m over it,” he answers with a smile, “you said you maybe want to get married in the future. So in five years I can bring it up again. And by then I will have made you change your mind.”

“Ooh…”

“Ooh?” Jonghyun laughs; putting his hands down and raises his eyebrows at her. “You say ‘ooh’ as if you don’t believe me?”

Hannah gives him her eye-smile and then laughs when he places his hands by her waist. He quickly tells her to be quiet since they are at the toilet and when she instead giggles, he smiles and kisses her.

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

HEADLINE 25TH: COMEBACK TEASER #1 – [-ERASE YOU-] MV TEASER 1

Puzzle all over the world are now squirming around in their chairs, repeating the video that SM Entertainment just has released. What video? The teaser video of 5 Pieces’ comeback!

MV Teaser – [-Erase You-]

(14 seconds)

The short music video teaser shows a pair of hands tied up in the wrists against a wet and dirty stone wall. The fingers curls in

to a fist as the owner of the hands tries to get out from the ropes that are chaining her up against the wall and the camera

zooms out to reveal the blonde haired girl – without revealing her face up front – sweaty and dirty sit chained up by the stone wall with the surrounding all brown and gray of stone and sand; she is trying to break free with struggling, you can hear her

make sounds while moving every limb of her body to try slink out. The video comes to an abrupt end when the girl gives a

loud scream of frustration …

5 Pieces is said to make a 3rd full-length album comeback sometime next month in October and the very absolute first music video teaser for the comeback has finally been released. Since the first teaser has come out, the comeback can’t be far away, and the teaser is definitely something that will make every fan spend sleepless nights waiting for more, probably unable to sit still at the moment. SM Entertainment has promised more teasers to come later in the week so fans must be waiting tightly to see and hear what will happen. Just the music video teaser that have been showed reveals that it will definitely be a strong comeback this year just as 5 Pieces earlier comebacks have been. 5 Pieces have this year showed a lot of individual schedules with Maria’s solo debut, Hannah acting in Korea as well as releasing her own book and definitely Emelia making a singing and acting debut in Japan. The girls have gone global with their ‘Moon Child’ tour that is having its final stop on October 13 and 14 in Seoul, the same place where it started back in January. Growing individually, Carolina said at a radio program that the group is preparing to show their growth in the new album, and already in the first music video teaser, 5 Pieces shows that they definitely must have grown a lot.

The great Pieces of One is returning! Are you ready for it?

COMMENTS:

“Oh damn! What’s this, when’s this, how’s this and how the fffffff do I get her?”

“5 Pieces is making a comeback!!! I am looking forward to this o________o”

“Move away little idols debuting and making small comebacks, because the pirates are coming back to steal the stage! This is a comeback I definitely don’t want to miss. With this kind of teaser, they better bring out something totally pirate like! But then again, when have 5P ever disappointed us? Be prepared for a world take over! =D”

“This is O_O I’m speechless. Comeback, come now!!!!”

“Hannah, that is Hannah, right? She is back to blonde? But last week there were pictures of EXO-K’s Chanyeol filming with 5 Pieces for the music video, doesn’t that mean this will be some kind of save-me theme? Like… Hannah gets kidnapped and Chanyeol goes to save her????? Hannah is teamed up with EVERYONE! xD Either way, LOVE BLONDE HANNAH!”

“YES! Hannah is hot and I can’t wait to see how the other members look like O___O Looking forward to hear what kind of song it is…”

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

“Whoa!” Hannah can’t hide the amazement when the bus is driving through the landscape. She laughs happily when looking out the window of the bus; she can’t wait to go outside.

5 Pieces is filming for a new program from KBS named ‘A Good Cause’, which will be about 5 Pieces when they help out with different things. The first two episodes will be filmed today with 5 Pieces heading out to the countryside to help the people in the village. It is extremely early but the girls are excited to go to the countryside – and today they aren’t wearing any wigs either, letting out their new hairstyles. Carolina is worried the country people will get a shock seeing the foreign girls with weird hairstyles – two or more colours in their hairs. Hannah is so excited that she is even bouncing in her seat, unable to sit still, and she keeps laughing without a reason. It isn’t often the girls get a chance to go to the countryside like this, so of course they are excited.

“WHOA!” Hannah laughs when jumping out from the bus with the others.

They have stopped with one of the traditional houses of the village on one side and on the other side of the bus is a field. The filming hasn’t started; the camera team starts to put up their things while the ladies are being introduced to the head of the village, his family and a few others from the village that have come by to see the idol group and maybe get the chance to be on TV. Hannah sticks close to her members, being nervous, awkward and innocent around the villagers and she doesn’t say a single thing unless she has to.

For the opening, the ladies gather to stand in a line at the centre of all attention. Of course they start off applauding, introducing each other and also the place they are at – of course, the new show too. Carolina speaks the most, the girl standing in the middle, and she turns to right to left to her members as if she is explaining to them what the show is about. Hannah is nodding without a word, spacing out from time to time when she isn’t leaning forward to look at Carolina talking. They introduce the head of the village too, and he gets to explain what 5 Pieces will do today. They will help to harvest, help to clean and do laundry at houses.

“Let’s divide into two teams first then,” Carolina suggests when they know what to do. “Three of us will help out to harvest and the other two can help at the houses, what about that?”

Hannah is nodding again. They don’t play games or anything, just parting the teams into three-two. Carolina, Maria and Emelia will be working on the field while Julia and Hannah will be doing housework. Hannah is doing a rabbit face expression. She had actually thought she would be on the field – housework isn’t fun. But she embraces the work – well, she embraces Julia – before the two teams goes to start working right away.

Hannah and Julia gets showed around in one of the mother’s houses, being showed the pictures and the first forty minutes are more like getting a round tour by the kind older mother. Hannah and Julia will be doing laundry outside, so they are showed the backside where long clothes-lines are hanging.

“Whoa, it looks like in a movie,” Hannah says and she giggles when Julia says they can make their own romantic laundry movie.

The laundry will be done with your feet – you know how back in the days the laundry were put in huge bowls that you step on place; that’s the style. Hannah is first freaking out a little that they will do it barefoot, so she watches Julia do it without any problem. Julia seems to like it, saying they never do these kinds of things in Sweden. The bowl is big, so both Hannah and Julia can fit to step in it together. The mother is laughing when watching the two ladies becoming little girls, jumping and stepping on the laundry in the water with their bare feet, holding on to each other’s arms to keep the balance and they just can’t stop laughing when doing it together.

After a while, the mother has stepped inside. Julia moves her shoulders up and down as she steps up and down with her feet.

“Are you filming us prettily?” she asks the camera-man who steps up closer to film their faces. Hannah gives a laugh. “This is how a newly married couple does their laundry at first, right?”

“How do they do it?” Hannah wonders, glancing down on their feet.

Julia giggles when holding her hands on Hannah’s elbows to hold her just a little closer, leaning her forehead towards Hannah and when the magnae looks up, they both smiles as widely as they are on the verge of laughing. They continue to work, having these pretty smiles in their faces, and Hannah keeps smiling widely when Julia starts to sing. Everyone is lately big fans of the drama To The Beautiful You were SHINee’s Minho and f(x)’s Sulli are acting in, and Julia sings a bit of the OST song [Sky] sung by Super Junior K.R.Y. She likes the ballads of the drama, so it doesn’t surprise Hannah when she sings it. Hannah just isn’t as familiar to the song as her member is, but Julia keeps singing to it while stepping on the place. The fun thing is when this part is airing, and just like in a drama they will put in the actual song and do some romantic scene with the two girls. Hannah won’t mind it. Fans like the couple thing, and she just thinks it’s silly to be cute and cheesy with the members.

“Eomonim (mother),” Julia says when the mother returns with some towels. “Are we doing well?”

“Yeah, yeah, you are doing very well,” the mother answers and puts the towels on the side, smiling when looking at the two girls. “It’s the first time foreigners are doing laundry for us. It’s fascinating to see.”

“It’s the first time doing laundry with my feet,” Hannah laughs and Julia agrees.

“Eomonim,” Julia says again, “have you heard of us before? Of 5 Pieces?”

“Oh, well, I have seen you on TV a few times. I don’t know your names though,” the mother honestly answers with a hoarse, happy laugh.

Julia helps her to remember at least their names – Hannah and Julia. Hannah seems to be an easy name to remember, though the mother pronounces it more Korean as Hana. The funny part is that she remembers Julia as a squirrel, when explaining why, the mother says Julia looks like a squirrel with the puffy cheeks and round eyes. It is actually the first time hearing it, but Hannah is fast to agree that Julia does look like a squirrel. Even the staff laughs at that, and Julia grimaces – everyone says that grimace is suddenly an imitation of a squirrel. Hannah does kind of the same grimace, but they say she is a bunny. They have a lot of fun doing the laundry, washing it and hanging it up and doing everything the mother says they should do. It is tiring too, since the laundry is heavy when picking it up and stepping on it is tiring on the legs too. Hannah says doing laundry is a complete workout. Hannah looks clueless a few times too, and she whispers to Julia to ask for help and Julia asks the mother to help and Hannah smiles kindly when getting the help.

To promote themselves for the mothers doing the laundry, Hannah and Julia sings some of their songs for them. [Original] from two years ago and then [I Love You] from last year; the two girls both sings and dance, making the mothers laugh and clap their hands cheerfully. The mothers probably show such a good reaction more to be kind as none of them seem to know the songs.

Hours are spent doing the laundry, because it is not just for one household they do the laundry. By the time they are done, it is lunchtime. Some of the mothers in the village have made lunch for everyone who are working hard, so Hannah and Julia helps to bring out the food to the side of the field where the other team as well as some of the villagers are. Mostly men of the villagers have been on the field, which Hannah somehow thinks fits with the other members – she can see in front of her how they have been talking in dark voices. Maria looks totally exhausted, Emelia too, while Carolina comes running to the food. She feels energizes just sensing the food.

They are chatting, hearing how things are going for each other while eating, talking to the villagers too. Hannah looks like she is dreaming by just eating the cooked egg, even one of the fathers there saying he has never seen someone who looks to enjoy eating egg as much as Hannah before – and this is their first time meeting. Hannah just smiles and keeps eating the egg with joy, listening to everyone else chatting.

After lunch, those on the field keeps working there while Hannah and Julia helps to bring food to the elderly in the village. Several of the villagers seems to get a shock when seeing the two foreign girls arriving at their houses, the girls many times being asked “is this the trend nowadays?” and even one commented “are you an alien?”. The two girls go around giving food and converse with the villagers, hearing about their life stories and such. They are even told to stay and eat a little from one of the grandmothers, and while sitting there, Hannah is giving her some massage.

“Hannah’s massage is really good, isn’t it, grandmother?” Julia asks the grandmother kindly in a high voice and the grandmother gives a nod. She looks like she is going to fall asleep while Hannah is massaging her shoulders. For massaging, Hannah’s finger seems to be strong, but when she is gripping on to something her fingers are weak. Just holding a microphone is difficult, but she is very good at giving a massage. She continues to give massage to the elderly for the next three houses too…

The whole day is spent at the village. The harvest is done for the day, they play some games just 5 Pieces and they play with some of the villagers too before everyone eat dinner and three of the ladies prepares something while waiting for dinner. The day ends with them sitting around a campfire, some of the villagers that have been with them the whole day are with them and they are having a nice time.

“Mothers, fathers, do you know who Elvis Presley is?” Carolina wonders. It is dark around them and the camera team has put up some lamps to shine up the place as the campfire isn’t doing much, but they still have a very nice atmosphere.

“Ah, of course, of course we do,” the villagers all answers and you can hear the sweet voices of the women.

Carolina leaves her seat to go get her guitar, while Emelia says that they have prepared a special campfire performance of an Elvis Presley song for the villagers there. Hannah has had a really good time, and the mother from before lunch still remembers her name – Julia had tested her earlier when they were eating, and Hannah is just a simple name to remember.

Hannah is quietly sitting there, looking at Carolina sitting down with her precious guitar. The guitarist counts down, hitting her hand lightly on the guitar before she starts to play Elvis Presley’s [Love Me Tender] softly. Some of the mothers give off some low sound by recognizing the song and hands are up in the air, waving lightly as Emelia starts to sing in one of the slowest ways she can. Though she is the rapper of 5 Pieces, her singing isn’t that bad. She has a low voice, fitting for the calm atmosphere around the campfire.

*Love me tender, love me sweet,

Never let me go.

You have made my life complete, and I love you so…*

Hannah continues with her voice lighter than Emelia’s but just as calm and fitting;

*Love me tender, love me true,

All my dreams fulfilled.

For my darling I love you, and I always will*

All three girls (Carolina, Emelia and Hannah) sing softly for the next part, showing that it is the end of the song;

*Love me tender, love me long

Take me to your heart.

For it’s there that I belong, and will never part…*

The villagers clap their hands impressed, Julia and Maria clapping their hands too. It is a very slow song, so they had only sung three verses to not make it too long (and they didn’t have time to learn more). Carolina’s simple playing on the guitar was great and the girls sang soft and slow, the campfire setting the perfect mood.

“Now I know why you are singers,” one of the older mothers says and gives a laugh. “You all look like aliens but your pretty voices are really worthy singers. That was beautiful.”

The response is good for being from older people in the village, but the response feels warm and the girls can’t stop smiling. It is their first time meeting older Korean people like this, meeting in a village, feeling the closeness of these people who have lived together for so many years and they have this closeness that the members in 5 Pieces saw only in old children series when they grew up. Maria is reminded of that spending time with the mothers and fathers in the village.

They are going to start wrap up the filming soon, and the mother who has helped them during the day starts to say how helpful they have been today and that it has been an experience the villagers never thought they would be able to experience. To have foreigners coming to help them harvest and help out with housework, foreigners who speak Korean so well and is open to the different culture and being friendly…

“For such young girls like you to come to the old people here, it must’ve been boring, right?” the mother laughs.

“No, we have had a lot of fun, mother,” Carolina says with a smile and her members agrees.

“Being able to come to the countryside and spend some time with all the mothers and fathers have been a new experience for us too. The fresh air and the surrounding reminds me of home, and to see all of you being a big family living in this village reminds me of my own family,” Maria is saying and she is starting to tear up. Hannah is sitting with her hands together, looking down on them as she presses them between her knees. “Thank you so much for letting us come by here today, and hopefully we haven’t been too much in the way.”

“Ah, what are you saying, you have helped us with so much just today,” one of the mothers says in a impressed tone. “And to see such young faces makes us feel like we are a few years younger too.”

“Mm, sure,” one of the fathers nods, and his tone is that he does not think they feel younger, making everyone laugh and Carolina says that the mothers look young.

Hannah nods, though she is just agreeing without saying anything. It definitely has been a great experience, and hopefully they can do something alike again.

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

Headline 23rd: ‘Joe’ Is The Most Talked Book In Most Parts Of Asia

Headline 23rd: (Japan) 5 Pieces Performs [Once Upon A Time] On Music Japan

 

Headline 24th: Book Of The Week ‘Joe – Under Seoul’s Streets’ 8th Week In A Row

Headline 24th: (Japan) 5 Pieces’ [Once Upon A Time] Breaks Records With Both Single & PV In Japan

Headline 24th: ‘Joe – Under Seoul’s Streets’ Is Best Selling Book In Sweden After Two Weeks

Headline 24th: Moon Child Tour Makes A Stop At Yokohama, Japan With 17,000 Fans

 

Headline 25th: Comeback Teaser #1 – [-Erase You-] MV Teaser 1 (14 seconds)

Headline 25th: (Japan) 5 Pieces’ EM & Hannah Rocks The Stage With [Cool Rider (CF)] At Suzuki Event

 

Headline 26th: (Japan) Suzuki Reveals They Are Impressed With 5 Pieces

Headline 26th: 5 Pieces Fights Against The Heat In Taiwan In Episode 4 Of ‘Life of Pieces S3’

Headline 26th: Carolina Celebrates Her Birthday + Says Goodbye To Her Radio On ‘Life of Pieces S3’

Headline 26th: Julia Reveals On ‘Life of Pieces S3’ That 5 Pieces Had 5 Concerts In A Week!

Headline 26th: Fans Again Questioning 5 Pieces’ Unstoppable Schedule