Chapter 62

Youngest of Pieces - [Black & White] (7)

Hannah has sold or given away probably more than 98% of the things she found in the storage room where her family put all leftover things she left behind. Beside from the things Hannah will take with her to Korea (mostly small things like old writing pads, photographs and such) the rest she has tried to sell in two days and the things she didn’t have time to sell she gave away for charity. Most of the things Hannah had in her old room aren’t actually there, so Hannah thinks for the bed and furniture and random pictures and all those things are probably things her family have kept or sold. Even most of the clothes Hannah hasn’t taken to Korea with her are gone, there are no movies or books that she knows she had in her room – things she bought with her own money. It made her upset at first to know that so many things were missing, though it makes it easier for her to pack up everything. She doesn’t keep a lot for herself, and since most of it is just paper or small things, it doesn’t take much space.

Beside from selling things and finishing up the so called “family issue” she has, Hannah met up with Emelia’s parents to hand over some Christmas gifts that Emelia wanted to give and also receive some gifts that Emelia’s mother and Julia’s mother had prepared for the ladies to open on Christmas, and she also met Molly (Maria’s sister) who was given the presents Maria had prepared for the whole family, and when meeting Molly at the bookstore where she works, Molly actually gave Hannah a book she thinks she will like – and they talked for an hour about The Mortal Instruments, other books and movies too. Not once did she meet her own family. Not once did she catch a glimpse of her sister at work, she didn’t see her brothers at the schoolyard when she was heading to Emelia’s house and not once did they contact her.

And now, it’s Wednesday morning. Hannah is at the TV-station where she will do the live interview about her book and because it’s a seven hour time difference in Korea; her members are constantly contacting her to see how the preparations are going. Emelia had laughed yesterday when talking to Hannah, saying she will get a surprise when coming home, but she won’t tell Hannah what surprise it is and the other members wouldn’t say anything either and now when Hannah only can think of the TV appearance she has totally forgotten about the surprise. She is going through the answers with Manager Lee, though she is talking in Swedish and he has absolutely no idea of what she is saying but he lets her keep talking, hearing how she talks faster and mumbling because of the nervousness. It is her first time appearing on Swedish TV without her members, of her knowledge at least, and to talk about the book is making her extra nervous. She keeps waving her hands and she is shaking so much that even her manager sees it, and all he can do is to tell her it will go well, tell her to breathe and try to calm her down the way he can try at times. In the end he gives her the IPod she had left in her jacket, because once she starts listen to music she starts to calm down, gather her thoughts and her breathing is calming down.

“Better?” Manager Lee smiles when she turns off the IPod a little later and gives it back to him.

Hannah smiles and when meeting his eyes she nods too, looking much more relaxed than a few minutes ago. While Hannah is waiting to begin the filming, her cell phone is ringing. Because it is on soundless and she has it in her jacket, Hannah doesn’t pick up. Her attention is somewhere else when the Swedish staff at the station tells her to go take her seat.

“Today we are actually getting the chance to meet the author of the amazing fantasy romance book ‘Joe – Under Seoul’s Streets’ that is a best seller in several countries all around the world. Please welcome; Hannah,” the woman sounds excited and Hannah sitting across the table gets excited hearing someone speak in Swedish about her book in such excitement. “Thank you so much for coming today, Hannah.”

“Thank you for inviting me,” Hannah kindly answers with a smile, trying to keep her shaky hands under the table and make sure no other body part is shaking.

“First off, there are probably a lot of viewers who have heard about the book but many might get a little confused when seeing how young you look. How old are you exactly?”

“I’m twenty,” Hannah laughs, quietly thanking for the comment about her looking young.

“Being just twenty years old, why did you decide to release a book and why just now?”

“I have been writing for as long as I can remember, though I have always done it more for a hobby rather than thinking of releasing my own book because it has been like a way for me to express myself. But when I read the Harry Potter series, J.K Rowling really caught me and I imagined myself releasing an own book – not as huge as Harry Potter and definitely not as great as J.K Rowling – but ever since I have really wanted to release a book and the reason I did it now, this year, was because … my friends got to read what I have written and they convinced me to try get it out as a book.” She added the part about ‘not as huge as Harry Potter’ to not make any misunderstandings and the man and woman sitting in front of her both gives a chuckle by that comment.

“So that means we have your friends to thank for this amazing book?” the man jokes and Hannah answers ‘yes’ with a shy smile while the woman asks the next question;

“’Joe – Under Seoul’s Streets’ is the bestseller in Sweden, Finland, England and other European countries, and also in Korea and Japan. Did you expect the book to become this popular?”

“Definitely not,” Hannah shakes her head and the man asks her what she expected of releasing a book. She can feel how nervous she is, talking slower than usual just to not make the mistake to add in English or Korean words when talking, because she is definitely not used to talk Swedish anymore. It sounds weird talking in the language she grew up with, just because she has rarely used it for the past four yers. “I didn’t really expect that much about … about anything other than releasing a book. I never thought of popularity or appearing on TV like this, but I was curious to hear what other people would say after reading the book. It is always fun to hear the comments from people who have read the book.”

“The book takes place in South Korea. Why?”

“I found it the most fitting,” Hannah starts to honestly answer. “I always imagined it taking place in Seoul, from the very beginning when I had that idea of a girl being at the airport it was automatically that she had landed at the airport in Korea and that just never changed because when I got to see Seoul, it is such a beautiful city and I found it perfect.”

“The book has gotten a lot of positive response for the many unique characters and I am definitely curious of how you have managed to make each character so unique?”

“Ah… well… I think I should thank you for those words?” Hannah laughs awkwardly with the hosts smiling. “He-he… Most of all the characters were just made while I was writing. I gave probably most time to create the characters writing the book, because each character has his own story and background and while writing that I filled out their personalities and I asked one of my friends to help me out too in case I was missing or forgetting something.”

“Then which character did you put the most time to create?” the woman asks, filled with curiosity. Before recording, she had actually told Hannah that she has read the book and that she thinks it is really good – one of the things you definitely must read. So her eyes are like on fire when interviewing Hannah, her eyes really focused and pretty uncomfortably, as if she is questioning Hannah for murdering or something.

“Wow…” Hannah breathes when getting the question, “that’s hard… Most of them I gave a lot of thoughts to… … But it should be the main character Joe, I guess. All from her personality to background is like the important key to the book, so I guess I gave her the most time. Just coming up with the basic character Joe happened in a flash, and I came up with the story based on that, but then it was details, planning and a lot of changing. So I guess Joe is the one given the most time.”

The two hosts seem to like the answer, nodding and giving low voiced comments the way you often do in Sweden before continuing and again it is the woman asking the next question;

“The characters Eli and Kun Yu-” she says his name really weird “- from the book are quite the hot topic. Which is because of the so called ‘hints of gayness’, which I personally really enjoy to read in the book, and the question is could you reveal if they are gay and what you thought when writing about them?”

Hannah is well aware of that the two characters Eli Salizar and Kun Yu are quite the topic among the readers – she has gotten questions at book-signings and even letters where fans ask if they are gay and even begging them to be gay – and she remembers very well how Maria was squealing like a big fool when reading about the two of them. Though Maria’s squealing came more in the second book that hasn’t come out yet, as in the first book it isn’t really much to squeal about. “The hints of gayness, as you express it, is actually pretty normal behaviour between male friends in Korea,” Hannah starts answering and she laughs when seeing the reaction of the woman while the man is curious to know what hints there are in the book as he hasn’t read it. “Just as girl friends can link arms and hug here in Sweden, male friends do the same in Korea. But when writing it came quite natural that these two would be like this to each other, so you can’t really know the truth behind them. Not yet anyway. They can be gay, they can not be… I’m a person who likes challenges when writing and I think the two of them is a fun challenge. So you can guess for now, but I won’t tell anything.”

“Then do you worry anything of what the readers will say about the hints of homouality in the book? Have you gotten any complaints about that?” the man wonders.

“Of course I worry about what people will say; I’m curious to know, but if people complain about the ‘hints’, I guess it is just not their kind of book to read and I would tell them to not read it if they are that dissatisfied with it, and after all, it isn’t really much about it in the book. I don’t really care much about such complains because some people like it, others doesn’t. And yes, I have gotten a few small complains. But there are more people sending love letters,” Hannah answers and finishes up with a bright smile and they laugh lightly at her ‘love letter’ comment.

“One question we have for you is what kind of books did you grow up reading?”

“I actually … don’t think I read much before third grade, because in that grade I had to get this extra help in school since I was such a bad reader,” Hannah is answering and she laughs when seeing how surprised the woman looks by hearing she got help to read, “but then in that grade I got this diploma for my improvement and I got a book as a gift and I was reading a lot after that. It was a lot of horse books and I was reading books about Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, me and my sister enjoyed reading those books. And then … Harry Potter came. I got crazy in those books.”

“So what kind of genre do you like to read? Is it fantasy?” the man wonders, because she is mentioning Harry Potter and she herself writes fantasy.

“I’m not completely thinking JUST fantasy, I read other genres too, but just fantasy has this … addicting effect on me.”

“Are you reading a book now?”

“Yes, yes I am,” Hannah answers and she smiles widely when the woman asks what book she is reading. “I am actually currently reading the fifth book of the series The Mortal Instruments. I am almost done reading it, so I will become one of many who are waiting for the movie to come out next year.”

She nods for her own answer and then gives a slight grimace when the final question is asked; “would you want a movie out of ‘Joe’?”

“No,” Hannah answers, doubtful about it, and the hosts gets quite the surprise over the doubtful answer, “Yes, and no, I should answer.”

“Why no and why yes?”

“Because …” Hannah bites her lip. “People don’t read the books if they watch the movie, most of the time. And just the magical thing about books is that you don’t have the face of the characters or a place other than what your own mind creates, and I really like how everyone can create their own fantasy world when reading it. But it would still be fun for it to be a movie, it really would, and I wrote it seeing the scenes in my mind, so if someone in the future would want to make a movie out of it, I would gladly welcome it.”

“Hannah, thank you once again for coming,” the woman says and Hannah simply thanks her before the woman promotes the book for the viewers, holding the Swedish copy up for everyone to see.

It is a commercial after that, and Hannah gets to shake hands with the hosts and she laughs when the man compliments how gathered and professional she is in front of the camera. They know she is part of 5 Pieces, the girl-group’s song has even been playing on the show this morning, but the man is still astonished of the interview. The woman says she is too, saying she really loved Hannah’s answer for the last question and commenting that she is really mature for her age. Hannah ends up signing a book for them both and also takes a picture with them before Hannah leaves.

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

Arriving at the airport in Sweden, Hannah gets a huge shock. She almost hesitates to get out of the car because there are so many people there – more likely paparazzi and reporters – and Hannah doesn’t know if she will get in the way for someone but the moment she gets out of the car with her manager, the reporters are approaching her. security is also present, aware of that someone is arriving and they steps up while keeping the reporters on a distance and because Manager Lee can’t communicate, Hannah is the one explaining that she is taking the plane at that time and it is just she and her manager and she is told by the security that they will guide her inside.

Manager Lee pulls up the hood to Hannah’s winter jacket when a man steps up from behind and tries to reach his big camera next to her and Hannah automatically turns to her manager. She also explains in Korean for him to know what is happening. Hannah’s eyes are big when they start to head to the entrance, because there is a huge crowd following her and she has no idea of how this happened.

“Look this way!” someone calls out for her in Swedish.

“Hannah, when are you coming back to Sweden?” another voice calls out. “Did you come to meet your family?”

“Is 5 Pieces preparing any promotions in Sweden?” more voices are heard. One of the security men asks someone to take a step back. Hannah looks up only when Manager Lee’s hand disappears from her back and she sees that he just moves to try tells someone to back away, and since he can’t really speak Swedish, Hannah asks the man if he could please not do that.

“Just walk,” Manager Lee tells Hannah and his hand is on her back again to lead her through the doors, in to the airport.

Inside the airport it isn’t much better. Fans have been waiting, not as many as the amount of reporters and with the security’s help the reporters have to step back. Some fans approaches, slightly being told to step away by her manager’s hand being stretched out but one fan is handing over a small bag for Hannah; she accepts it because it is a gift and the fan asks her to please take it because it is a Christmas gift. Hannah thanks the fan, not knowing what is in the bag, and she takes off the hood when they are heading up to check-in, the chaos left behind them.

To wait to board the plane, Manager Lee guides Hannah to sit down among the chairs lined up outside the gates when they have gone through security and everything needed. There is only one security man with them now, as reporters and fans can’t get in here. Hannah sits down on a chair just as her cell phone starts ringing and she looks up at her manager when he asks her if they should eat now or later as he puts the gift she got from a fan on the chair next to her.

“If you are hungry we can do it now, otherwise I can wait,” she answers while taking up her cell phone from her pocket. Seeing that it is Jonghyun, she glances up at her manager again who says he will go see if it is anything nearby they can eat, telling her to stay seated, and when he starts to walk away she answers the call. She had called back to him when she was heading to the airport, but he hadn’t picked up.

Hey, what are you doing?” he asks when she has picked up. His voice is like sweet music in her ear and she smiles when hearing it.

“I’m at the airport,” Hannah answers, stretching out her short legs where the snow on her shoes already has melted. “I’m waiting to board now. What about you?”

I’m checking in at the airport, heading to Japan,” Jonghyun answers and she can hear how the noise on his end confirms that he is at the airport. “So … how does it feel?

She knows what he means, but Hannah gets quiet and confused by the question. She didn’t know what she expected herself to feel when doing this closure of her home, when selling her things and knowing she won’t have a place to return to. Thinking of it now for the first time, it feels strange. She knows her members’ families are friendly and always welcoming, just as they have reminded her the past days and what they always reminds her, but it is not her family by blood. It is now the family she grew up with and lived with and fought with and … how should she feel?

“I don’t know how I feel,” she answers when he says her name; he got worried over her silence. “I honestly don’t know.”

Something with her voice makes Jonghyun give a grunt for answer. He knows Hannah has lost contact with her family and that it is so much yet so little going on with Hannah and her home, but home is still home and he knows she is sad over what has happened. She gives a forced laugh when hearing him grunt again, asking what he is doing and he answers that he is tying his shoe lace.

I can talk to you more later, right? Call me as soon as you land,” Jonghyun says a minute later as he has to hang up because he is going through security and will the go on the plane. “I love you,” he whispers.

“I love you too,” Hannah whispers back and smiles when hanging up.

Manager Lee returns after a minute, saying they can go eat later. Hannah just nods and puts her cell phone in her jacket before taking off the jacket, though she keeps it on her back and she pulls on the hood. “The reporters aren’t leaving out there,” Manager Lee mentions when sitting down on the seat next to where he earlier put down his jacket and the gift bag, and Hannah takes the gift bag now in case he wants to take his jacket. He doesn’t touch it though, so the jacket stays between them.

“I didn’t know it would be any reporters,” Hannah pouts and opens the bag. “Oh!” She starts to giggle and when seeing her manager’s face-expression she laughs and leans over her bag before showing him what’s in it. It is a small cuddle-toy bunny and when seeing it her manager laughs too, saying it is so typical. “It’s adorable.”

Hannah has some kind of affection towards cuddle-toys in general, but a bunny cuddle-toy is like heaven for Hannah. Therefore her nickname: Bunny. Hannah looks really happy over the gift though and even when reading the letter that is in the bag – it is a letter for each member in 5 Pieces – she is hugging the cuddle-toy with one arm. When she is done reading she puts away the letters, continues to hug the cuddle-toy and she looks beyond her manager at where far, far away somewhere the reporters might still be waiting. But she is curious if the fans still are there.

Sitting two rows in front of Hannah are actually three fans. The three girls are heading on a trip together and they are like staring and whispering together, which they have been doing since Hannah came as the three of them were already sitting there. One of the girls pretends to be writing a text or playing a game on her cell phone, while she in fact is filming Hannah. The blonde haired idol doesn’t notice anything. She is looking through her bag after a while, first taking out a pair of white earphones and then a small writing pad and she then closes the bag, looks through her jacket pockets to take out a pen and she glances up at her manager sitting on her other side.

 “Oppa,” Hannah whispers to him and he answers without looking up from his cell phone where he is looking through pictures he has taken of Sweden during this trip. “When do you think we will arrive in Seoul?”

“In the city or at the airport?” he asks her, still not looking up.

Hannah pouts out extremely much when thinking about it, leaning a little over the seat between them with the pen and clean page in the writing pad ready. “Both?” she wonders and she smiles when he glances at her. Looking at her, he knows what she wants so the corner of his mouth twitches before he takes the pad and pen from her to scribble down the usual time schedule that Hannah always wants to know. She leans over the seat between them to see what he writes. “Then we head straight to M Countdown?”

“Straight to M Countdown from the airport,” he answers and gives her the pad and pen back, “according to if the plane is delayed or not, you maybe will change right away.”

“They said the other day we won’t wear the tattoos,” Hannah mentions and stretches one arm up above her head and she stretches out her legs too, yawning in her hood on the side before she looks at what he has written. “You write like Maria…”

He chuckles and gives her a glare so Hannah laughs at his reaction. “Are you insulting me?” he asks and Hannah quickly hits his arm.

“It’s a compliment. Have you seen Maria write?”

“I can’t read what she writes,” he answers and Hannah laughs again, apologizing to him and the next minute she starts to write on the pad.

For many minutes Hannah is just writing in the pad or she is doing something on her cell phone, and she glances up just one time when her manager talks to her.

“I’M IN A DAZE!” a scream echoes in the hall and probably everyone looks up. Hannah has to lift up her hood to look over to where the source is and far away she can see some boy waving at her with a bright smile. She smiles as she knows he was shouting it from 5 Pieces newest song. “CALL ME!” the same boy shouts and Hannah bites on her lips while looking down.

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

Arriving at Incheon on Thursday, Hannah is tired from being on the plane since yesterday. She is wearing the winter jacket when coming out on the airport, having the backpack on her back and holding the same cuddle-toy she received at the airport in Sweden in her arm. She got no idea why fans are everywhere, wherever she goes. Even here, at Incheon, and she can’t understand what fans are doing waiting for her at the airport when she is going to perform at M Countdown which probably should be much closer to travel to. She isn’t in the mood, tired after travelling and on the plane it has started to hit her that she won’t go back to Sweden as the sister or daughter Hannah from now on, she will only go there if it is for work. If the group gets a vacation or a chance to go home to Sweden, their families, Hannah won’t go there, she will stay in Korea. And thinking of it like that, she just really doesn’t know what to feel about it. Just that emotion, what to feel, is what makes her upset because she can’t figure it out. And then on the plane she had also been on the internet and found a video taken of her waiting to board, taken secretly and she never knew about it so she is a little sensitive on the whole celebrity part of having fans filming you.

Now too, Hannah don’t think she has ever walked through an airport with her head so low before, hiding under her hood and letting her manager guide her through as fans are at the airport and they have their cameras and cell phones put out and some wants to get really close while others want to shout. And Hannah just really doesn’t want that. Not now, not at this moment.

While walking towards the exist you can really see how she doesn’t want to get seen, pretend she is a little mouse who just slinks through everyone while she in fact is the magnet of all attention in the airport. It’s not really a lot of people because this is just Hannah coming back to Korea, but the fans that are there are really pushy. Thinking it isn’t that much people, they hope they might get an autograph or manage to take a good picture, but Hannah is hiding under her hood and her manager is quickly guiding her through the airport. The fans are following, so even when Hannah is sitting in the van, heading off; the fans are actually following in either their own cars or in taxis.

“Cheer up,” Manager Lee says when he opens the door for Hannah as the car has stopped outside Mnet.

“No,” Hannah mutters, still in a bad mood and she grabs her backpack when getting out of the car. “No, no, and no.” She throws the backpack up on her back and looks at him closing the door, then walks with him to the building’s entrance.

“You are so childish at times,” Manager Lee mutters and pushes her lightly towards the door. Hannah ignores him and just walks inside, continues to walk to 5 Pieces’ waiting room backstage. She lowers her head lightly when seeing some dressed up rookie – she got no idea of who it is, like normally – and she walks up to the door where 5 Pieces’ name is written and she opens the door quietly, hearing the voices of her members like always.

“Hello,” Hannah quietly says and she enters the room, their stylist Mi Young being the first to notice her.

“Hannah! How was Sweden?”

“HANNAH!” Maria bursts out and then gets hushed by stylist Yong Hyun and just as Maria rushes up to Hannah, carrying something white that Hannah thinks is Ace, but when Maria is just a step away Hannah steps back in the wall with her hands in the air.

“What is that?” Hannah asks and stares at the white thing in Maria’s arms.

“Oh, this? It’s Snowball,” Maria answers and lifts up the animal in front of Hannah. “Isn’t he pretty?”

“His name isn’t Snowball,” Julia laughs in the back and Hannah sees that Julia is sitting with a brown puppy.

“It’s puppies?” Hannah realises and looks back at the tiny little puppy Maria has. It is really cute with a black nose, white fur and he is really small. He gives out the tiniest bark and Maria laughs, hugging him in his arms again.

“Not just puppies; OUR puppies,” Maria answers and gives off a happy sound.

Hannah drops her face. “What?”

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

Headline 19th: 5 Pieces’ Hannah Appears On Swedish News Talking About ‘Joe’

Headline 19th: Maria Guests On Starry Night Radio

Headline 19th: 5 Pieces Hannah & Her Manager’s Friendly Behaviour At Airport Earns Attention