Chapter 71

Youngest of Pieces - [Black & White] (7)

With all artists walking up on the stage for the ending of SBS Gayo Daejun, Hannah is so happy that there are many faces from SM around her. 5 Pieces is mixed up with f(x), SHINee and EXO when they are walking towards the front for the ending; the boys at the front and the girls standing behind them all. Carolina wanted to hold Hannah’s hand at first but since the younger girl doesn’t like to hold hands she has to stay satisfied with just linking arms – for Carolina, linking arms mean hugging arms and resting her head at times on Hannah’s shoulder and then tell Hannah to rest her head on her shoulder… which Hannah doesn’t do – and Hannah is glancing at Maria who is jumping up and down next to Minho. Maria is really looking forward to go party after this, still having a lot of energy from the performance and it looks like she can start dance right now even if the MCs are talking.

Hannah notices this super tall Ken doll standing in front of her and she bring up her v-sign up behind his head, the way everyone used to do back in school for fun. She can’t remember the reason behind it, she just remembers everyone doing it whenever they got the chance, and she is pretty bored standing in the crowd of idols bowing for like the twentieth time this day and it is fun that this tall Ken doll makes her have to stretch up her arm to reach her fingers above his head.

Who else could it be but a member of EXO? Carolina gives a laugh and brings up her hand in the air to do the same thing to Luhan standing next too, but of course Luhan notices that and turns around and both girls starts to laugh and take down their hands and the Ken doll turns around, and Kai is asking what they are doing because he missed it. Luhan shows a v-sign, but that doesn’t really explain anything so Hannah is fast to say that they were waving their hands to the fans, which Luhan knows is a lie but he laughs and starts to wave with them now. And standing slightly in front of those two boys is Taemin, who of course turns around when hearing them laugh and Hannah moves to hide behind Kai, Carolina following because their arms are linked and Taemin puts a hand on Kai’s shoulder to look behind him at the two girls.

“What are you two doing?”

“Entertaining,” Carolina answers, making them laugh that is interrupted by Carolina giving a jump when someone gives her a hug from behind and they laugh anew over her reaction since it is just f(x)’s Luna.

It is a short visit on the stage now for the ending, and everyone is heading off the stage soon again. Hannah is just looking down, following the feet heading off the stage because if she looks up, all she will see is backs heading all kind of directions and it would probably make her dizzy so she is keeping her eyes on the floor and shoes and she manages to get off the stage without anyone telling her to greet someone. Korea and greetings are annoying, seriously; you meet the same people several times a day and yet you have to greet them the same way each time you meet. Emelia once made fun of Hannah by saying she should handle it since Hannah is used to go around saying ‘hi’ every time meeting a friend; back in school, she said ‘hi’ every time she met their classmates throughout the day in the corridors. But she was 11-14 years old at that time.

A hand is placed on her back when she has reached backstage; a body touches her shoulder and arm when walking up next to her and she knows who it is by breathing in the smell of his cologne. Jonghyun.

“Do you have to go out?” he asks her in a low voice so others walking around them can’t hear. They are still walking these two, heading to their rooms to get ready to leave.

“Why does it upset you so much that I’m going out?” Hannah wonders, not really joking but she isn’t serious either, she is just curious. It can’t be just because of Honggi, because he doesn’t talk to her and she doesn’t talk to him and though they are going to the same party, there are a lot of other people there that both of them rather would want to hang with.

“I just don’t like it. Don’t you rather want to hang out with me instead? Imagine; you and me in your apartment, all alone.” He gives a smirk by the imagination and Hannah laughs over his y voice. The two of them stopping outside 5 Pieces’ room, the little people walking by not caring much about them and they don’t care much about the people either. “What do you say?”

“I’m sorry,” Hannah answers when he turns around to stand in front of her. She gives a small pout for him. “The ladies won’t like it if I don’t come along.”

“Who cares what they think? I just want some time with you…” Jonghyun whispers the last part, leaning slightly closer though there is still a distance between them and he smiles when seeing her cheeks change colour and Hannah glances around to see if anyone else is noticing it too.

“On New Year, after that party, I’m all yours. But tonight, I am kind of looking forward to have fun with the ladies,” Hannah quietly tells him. She feels bad for turning her boyfriend down two days before New Year, but honestly she has looked slightly forward to go out and party with the ladies. Sure there will be other people there but all five ladies have decided to see it as a girls’ night out; 5 Pieces will drink, laugh and dance and they will make more memories together, that they hopefully will remember.

Jonghyun pouts though, not liking that she is going. He don’t have time to try convince her to be with him instead because Maria comes running up behind Hannah, throwing her arms around the youngest.

“Now it’s party time!” Maria cheers loudly and she jumps inside the room with a hand in the air, and Hannah’s raised eyebrows and pouting face tells Jonghyun that she can not disappoint the foolish leader who just ran inside.

He sighs and admits defeated. “Fine. But call me or text me when you are heading home. And don’t talk to Honggi,” Jonghyun tells her, pointing a finger at her. Hannah takes his finger in her hand, grimacing at him and says she won’t talk to people and that she will text him if it isn’t too late, and they then walk their own ways. Her hugging his finger is instead of giving him a hug or a kiss, and though he is disappointed she is choosing her ladies over him it kind of makes him smile to know that she wanted to touch him just as he wants to touch her. A small finger hug is okay for now.

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

Usually when Maria decides to go full-out dancing when going out, for party or a gathering or something, she dressed comfortably so it won’t be any problem to dance. No high heels, but this girl doesn’t need high heels either because she is over 170cm so she is almost of the same height as all the boys, but whatever Maria says about this “comfortably” clothes, Hannah thinks it looks perfect for a night out. Whatever Maria wears, it can work everywhere. Maria wears a long one-shouldered printed top in black, a pair of red shorts and check patterned tights and sneakers, and she is totally working it with her slim body.

Hannah gets changed to a loose-fit skull-print t-shirt with bright green details on the skull and on the arms and just because the t-shirt is long-sleeved she is wearing jeans shorts with bare legs and wedged boots that is probably her favourite high heels that she owns.

With hair and make-up already done from the Gayo Daejun, the ladies just have to get changed and say their goodbyes backstage before they are ready to leave for the party. 5 Pieces isn’t the first to leave but not the last either, which means when they arrive at the rented hall the party has already started. It gets loud with Maria’s entrance and Hannah within minutes finds herself at the bar, getting one of the stronger sour drinks that Maria orders for them both, letting the other ladies order their own drinks because they know what they want. Hannah is just a follower. She can drink something but she will never remember what it is called or what it is, so she just follows her friend because … what Maria takes, Hannah can take. Most of the time that is.

After talking and finishing two drinks, the ladies head up to join some of the others dancing to some American remixes and then, it is just beginning. Girls that just stands and tries to be y by moving their butts or waving their arms in the air, is not 5 Pieces. Well, Julia is a little like that but she normally doesn’t take on the dance floor either, so she doesn’t know what else to do and Hannah can understand that she doesn’t want to dance like their leader. Maria is everywhere, only thinking of having fun and she definitely looks to have fun. Hannah has no idea of what kind of music it is playing but from time to time she recognizes some words from music she has heard on the radio through the year as well as last year, but Maria is like always singing along to almost every remixed song. How she manages to do that … Hannah will never know, but it is fun and she continues to dance.

In the middle of all fun, Emelia disappears to be on the side, not really the party dancing type, and Carolina disappears in the crowd when recognizing a member of Miss A. It’s getting crowded during that time, more and more idols arriving with managers or stylists, everyone having fun and letting themselves out with drinking, chatting and dancing. Maria and Hannah both greet Seunghyun and Jaejin loudly when the two friends find their way over to them, the two saying that Maria is easy to spot in the dancing crowd and she loudly agrees by continuing to dance crazily. The other follows with Hannah just laughing and clapping her hands at them, slowly dancing too but not as crazy as them. She stays next to Julia instead, letting Maria go crazy with the crazy friends.

Soon enough they are at the bar again, taking out the space there instead of sitting down along the walls or by the tables but sitting by the bar and taking shots. FT Island’s Minhwan, Seunghyun, 5 Pieces’ Hannah, Julia and Maria are seeing who can take the most shots and after each shot they are making grimaces and sounds and they keep laughing at each other. Hannah gets dizzy after four shots, but she manages to take a fifth one, a mix of giggle and laughing comes from her when he watches Minhwan next to her starting to mumble strange things. Neither Hannah nor Minhwan gets to take the next shot, and they don’t seem to mind because they just sit there and laugh at the others.

The night is wild and fun. After drinking shots, the dance floor is theirs again. Not just theirs but they keep dancing for an eternity it feels like, especially with your head spinning and giggling. Hannah gets sweaty and her feet gets tired dancing in heels, but with alcohol and music and bodies around her all she does is following everyone else. She is happy she decided to wear shorts because otherwise she would be sweating like crazy in the hot hall that is filled with people sweating off the stress and having fun. Bodies are pushed around at the crowded dance floor and Hannah keeps loosing her balance whenever someone barely touches her, but she never falls and she keeps giggling over it for herself while someone else steps up to dance with them just to move a few seconds later because Maria is too wild to dance next too unless it is a member of 5 Pieces.

“Let’s go take some air,” Maria shouts out to Hannah to get heard over the music. Hannah is fast to grab the back of Maria’s top to be lead out from the hall.

Another remix of [Call me maybe] is heard on their way out and Hannah starts to dance slightly while following Maria out to the corridor, and they continues to walk. Hannah has no idea of where they are walking but Maria and the man seems to know where they are going so she just follows their feet like usually until she can feel the cool breeze of fresh air hit her face and bare legs. It’s cold outside, but that doesn’t seem to stop some people from coming out to smoke. And there Julia is standing. Hannah has no idea of where she has been for the past half hour, but it seems like Julia has had fun on her own too, but a small reunion out in the cold is always fun.

“Did you see Emelia?” Julia laughs. “I don’t know if she thinks she is strong when she is drunk but she was telling Doojoon that she can beat him in arm-wrestling…”

Hannah can imagine Emelia giving Doojoon a glare, looking up at him with her tiny arms with absolutely no kind of muscles at all and say in her low voice that she can beat him in arm-wrestling. But to see her arm-wrestling with him would be rather fun because even with her whole body Emelia is like an ant next to Doojoon. The youngest stops to listen on the others talking for a few seconds while pulling up her cell phone from her pocket, seeing that Jonghyun has both called and texted her. She grimaces when seeing the texts where he first writes goodnight and in the next text is asking if she is having fun, and the three phone calls are from between the text messages.

“Are you smoking?!” Julia’s voice makes Hannah look up.

Maria is standing with a cigarette, getting it lightened by the man and Hannah can feel the corners of go up in a smile.

“It helps for nausea,” Maria simply answers, though that doesn’t change Julia’s face-expression. “No, I don’t smoke, but if I have had too much to drink it helps my stomach to calm down.”

Hannah is aware of this. She saw the first time Maria tried to smoke; they were in Sweden, Hannah was drinking for the first time and they were hanging with Maria’s sisters and two friends, and Maria was feeling sick so her sister said smoking helps. And Maria stepped outside and the others could hear her cough and it was hilarious. Maria had done it too when they were in Sweden for the concert; at the party she had stepped outside, taken a few whiff to calm her stomach and nothing more than that. Maria is not a smoker and she has done this like four times now. Julia can’t seem to realise the fact that she is standing in front of her with a cigarette in her hand, but Julia isn’t really the judging type of this so she calms down pretty fast, though she keeps saying she hadn’t expected that.

“Then I can try too?” Julia asks and reaches out her hand.

Hannah looks surprised when seeing Julia trying it out, ending grimacing and coughing and handing the cigarette back, and a hand is stretched out from Hannah. She can hear her own voice say she wants to try too, not knowing if it really is her voice because it sounds so distance but the cigarette that Maria casually hands over is put between two fingers of the hand Hannah is holding out. Hannah has always hated the idea of smoking since she was a kid. Most of her relatives smoke and she hates the smell of it. She has heard that you should never even try because it is so addictive, but here she is standing, with a cigarette in her hand that she brings to , placing it lightly between her lips and breathes in. is blocked, the smoke just gathering in before she breathes it out. No coughing.

With a grimace she gives it back to Maria. You can’t really say she has smoked, because she just had it in and not letting it get further, and Hannah is happy Julia tells her that. She doesn’t want to do it. Thinking of breathing in the smoke, having it in and lungs makes her grimace: Just having it in makes her reach out her tongue in disgust. She can’t understand what is so good with smoking.

Without a word she walks back inside, and no one seems to care either. She puts her cell phone to her ear, not caring if Jonghyun maybe has fallen asleep already and not even knowing what time it is. Not many signals go through before he answers, and hearing his low voice makes her suddenly giggle.

“Oppa~~~” she giggles out for him and she stumbles towards the wall in the high heels, not having a good balance at all.

Are you drunk?” She can hear how he doesn’t like it but her mind just doesn’t register it, and she giggles again.

“Did I wake you- Were you sleeping?” she wonders, her words mixing up because for the first question she was about to ask she realised halfway that she didn’t know how to finish it in Korean so she started it over, which of course only means for Jonghyun that she is too drunk.

No, I was awake, sitting and waiting for a response from my girlfriend,” he answers in a low tone.

“Iiiiih, hihihi,” Hannah giggles, not knowing what he mean. She leans her back against the wall, bending her knees just slightly as if that is going to help her hurting feet. “I am calling you now, as I said I would. And I’m not that drunk actually, just hearing your voice makes me happy.”

She smiles even more when hearing him chuckle at her comment.

“And I am having so much fun,” she tells him with more giggle, “Maria and I are dancing nonstop, taking breaks to go to the bathroom or take another shot… Now she is out taking some air or something- ah, and I saw Julia smoking. Not really smoking but she was like something like… ah… I don’t know what I’m saying…” She breathes out, not able to find any Korean words in her head to simply say ‘she tried and that was it’ or something.

Have you talked to Honggi?” he asks her instead, and that chuckle he gave a few seconds ago isn’t there anymore.

“No… I haven’t even seen him,” she tells him. She did see Honggi once in there though, she thinks, she isn’t sure if it was Honggi because it was just a glance and because of that she says she hasn’t seen him. Hannah is rolling her back against the wall back and forth while talking to him, looking up in the ceiling and parting her legs to stand steady on the floor. “Are you bored? Is that why you have texted me?”

You didn’t answer on them…

She laughs. “I have been dancing.”

And you haven’t even seen Honggi?” he asks and this time, Hannah turns around to face the wall and she sighs, her smile gone.

“Could you drop it?” she asks, her mood all turned around. “I haven’t talked to him and I haven’t seen him and if I happen to see him I do not want to talk to him. Okay? I’m having fun with the ladies; that is why I am here. So don’t be all … whatever you are because of someone I’m not even talking to.”

I’m not jealous,” she can hear Jonghyun say but just in that moment she turns around and she almost screams when seeing someone standing there.

She doesn’t look away from him while quickly telling Jonghyun she will call him back and she only glances away to give a kiss sound to the phone before hanging up, not waiting for any kind of response and she is looking back at Honggi who is standing in front of her.

“Were you talking to Jonghyun?” Honggi asks her.

“Mm…” Hannah answers in a low voice and she looks away from him when she follows the wall to walk away.

“Hey, Hannah, let’s talk.” Honggi takes a few steps to the side to stop her. “Let’s talk.”

“About what?” She is looking at his legs, leaning against the wall and she doesn’t want to look at him and she hopes he keeps this distance between them.

“What do you think?” he gives an upset laugh and he gets quiet when her cell phone starts to ring. It’s Jonghyun, but she turns off the call. “He doesn’t like that I’m at the same party? Is he jealous because I’m here and he isn’t?”

“He isn’t,” Hannah answers and she takes her fingers through her hair when looking up from the cell phone, now looking at Honggi, annoyed.

“Then he doesn’t trust you,” Honggi says with a smirk. It’s a statement, a fact. “He worries that you might drink too much and do something again.”

“Just shut up, Honggi,” Hannah breathes and leans away from the wall to walk away.

“He knows I am a threat, that I can treat you better. I wouldn’t stay at home and wonder if you would cheat on me; I would go with you and make sure you are my girl.”

“Stop!” Hannah calls out at him, getting furious over his words and she turns back around to push him on the chest, but Honggi keeps talking. He says horrible things, having this voice that really annoys her and she pushes him on the chest again before covering her ears and telling him to stop, shaking her head and closing her eyes to imagine him not being there, not saying these things but he just won’t stop.

“Jonghyun is just sitting at home and waiting for you to do it,” Honggi says, leaning a little forward because he knows she is pissed off at him. He is pissed off at her; not wanting to be friends and constantly showing up in front of him and he wants her to not be so happy all the time because she is the reason he can’t be happy all the time. She has pushed him and told him to be quiet, to stop, but he won’t, and hearing him say that Jonghyun is waiting for her to cheat on him (that he knows it is coming), she just can’t hold it back anymore.

He definitely did not expect it and more the surprise than the strength makes him stumble back. Hannah is strong, really, but the anger had made her not able to really think and she just punched him in the face with her fist. It hurts like hell, Honggi feels, but he at the same time knows that she did not hit him the way she would want.

“Don’t EVER talk to me again!” she shouts at him, pushing him against the wall and since Honggi is still pretty dizzy from the fact that she punched him – a real punch in the face – he falls in to the wall.

“Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey,” Minhwan comes running up between them, placing his hands on Hannah’s arms to make her step back.

“You punched me?” Honggi chuckles, his hand on his face, shocked when hearing him self say what happened and he can’t believe it happened.

“You asked for it! I can do it again if it wasn’t enough!” Hannah shouts at him, her eyes burning and she tries to get pass Minhwan who without any trouble at all holds her away from Honggi. He is a drummer so his arms are strong and his fingers too, holding on to Hannah’s arms so she can just kick her leg towards Honggi.

“Hannah, calm down.”

“Don’t tell me to calm down!” Hannah shouts at Minhwan too before she turns to Honggi again, looking over Minhwan’s shoulder. “Why couldn’t you be my friend?! Why do you have to be such a big idiot?! And don’t talk about Jonghyun! I’m not cheating, you ing idiot!”

“HANNAH!”

It’s Maria. She has never said the youngest name in such a shocked voice before, but when seeing Hannah being hold back by Minhwan and the girl is in a mix of crying and screaming and she is adding swearing, what else can you do? Hannah backs away when hearing Maria’s voice and she gets out of Minhwan’s grip – he let her go when realising she isn’t going to punch Honggi again – and the girl walks away, furious and crying.

“What the just happened?!” Maria shouts at the two FT Island members left.

“Hannah punched him,” Minhwan says all the things he knows. And that was it, and he looks like he doesn’t understand it.

Maria gives Honggi a glare. “And what the did you do to her?!” She knows that for Hannah to PUNCH someone, it must be some deep , because Hannah has never punched anyone in her whole life – beside from in work, like when she practiced boxing and was doing her drama.

Hannah has walked away. She keeps walking until she reaches some stairs and after three steps she just falls down to sit, crying and her whole body is shaking from the adrenaline. She takes out her cell phone, the one that had messily been pushed in her pocket when she was about to walk away from Honggi the first time. Jonghyun has called her again, a missed call, and she presses the button to call him back. While staring at the phone, from a distance hearing the first ringing tone she realises that she could easily have ruined her rings that she often wears on her left hand. Hannah is left-handed, and she had punched Honggi with that hand, but her rings are (she notices now) hanging in the bracelet on her arm that she has made for the Pikachu key-chain; all three objects now swinging from her wrist.

She puts the phone to her ear the same moment he picks up, and he asks what happened and why she didn’t answer. She is crying hysterically she realises only now when she is trying to talk.

“I punched Honggi!” she confesses, almost screaming it out while crying and she holds the cell phone with the other hand to try wipe away the tears, but she just holds her thumb by her cheek. Her wrist is hurting. She had hit Honggi with her hand twisted and it really hurts.

YOU DID WHAT!?” Jonghyun bursts out. “You said- You said you didn’t even see him! How can you hit him within those few minutes?!

He is freaking out, not knowing how this happened and Hannah won’t stop crying. “I don’t know what happened!” she cries, her left hand all shaky. “He just… I… I punched him because he was being a huge idiot… I don’t know what happened; it just … flew out of me.”

Maria comes from behind Hannah and the moment Hannah hears her voice she gets up to start go down the stairs. “Hannah, don’t go, it’s just me.”

“Leave me alone,” Hannah pouts to Maria while Jonghyun is repeating on the phone for her to not hang up on him.

“Hannah,” Maria strictly says, making the girl stop in the middle of the stair and Maria runs down the steps to come to her. “Is it Jonghyun?”

Hannah nods but turns her cell phone away from Maria, hearing Jonghyun talk but not knowing what he is telling her and Maria tells her to not be a child, reaching out her hand to get the phone. Hannah pouts, just like a child (a crying child) but in the end gives Maria the cell phone.

“Jonghyun,” Maria breathes tiredly, “is it okay if she call- no, it’s nothing serious, just an being an , nothing we can’t handle… … Yes, we are heading home, so sleep and we’ll talk tomorrow. Thank you.”

Maria hangs up and puts her arms around Hannah’s neck, hugging the girl’s head.

“My wrist hurts…” Hannah pouts. “I hate him.”

The leader just hushes at her, hearing the girl continuing to cry. If she cries because of the pain in her wrist or because of something Honggi said, Maria doesn’t know. But she knows the party is over for them, so after letting Hannah calm down herself – her make-up is a mess after crying – Maria lets Hannah go sit down in the car first before she goes to get the other ladies. Maria does well. She easily tells Julia they are heading home, while Carolina asks ‘already?’ and doesn’t get a hint of that something is going on and then Emelia is already half-asleep so it is just to tell her they are heading home and she is following them. It’s five in the morning and 5 Pieces is heading home to sleep, and for Hannah to tell them all what happened. Never has the members looked so shocked at Hannah before.

“You actually PUNCHED someone?” Emelia won’t close .

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

Headline 29th: 5 Pieces Steals The Show At SBS Gayo Daejun