Chapter 45

Youngest of Pieces - [Black & White] (7)

 

Maria is on her second date with actor Kwon Hyunsuk for ‘We Got Married’. In the hectic schedule with pre-recordings to leave for Singapore, the new married couple has met up at a café. Hyunsuk is paying for a carrot cake that Maria is slowly eating, enjoying it completely while they are conversing.

“Oh, you have to meet my family too,” Maria remembers, chewing on the cake. She smiles when he asks ‘family?’ probably thinking of her family in Sweden. “The SM Town family. They have to accept you before I can go around saying we got married. But it won’t be that hard. You have the looks, height, you can play the piano and you seem to treat me well… They will like you.”

Hyunsuk looks terrified though. “I have to meet everyone in SM?”

“Well…” Maria moves her head a little, “maybe not everyone. Leeteuk Senior went to the army, so you probably won’t meet him. But it’s important to meet my family: they have a rule to not let us meet anyone they haven’t approved off, and since we two already got married … we are a step behind. But it will go well, I tell you.”

“What will I have to do to get approved then?”

“Just show your face in front of them,” Maria answers with a shrug on her shoulders as if it is not such a big deal. “And don’t take ANYTHING they say seriously. If it gets to much, take a hold of my arm and I will take you out.”

Just hearing her talk about her SM Town family like that makes him definitely worried. It is as if they will attack him with glares and words and questions and will be intimating just because he is in ‘We Got Married’ with Maria. But Maria tells him it will go fine; that she will be next to him all the time and protects him. Protect him from what?

Later when Hyunsuk is doing the interview for the program, giving comments on it, he looks definitely troubled. “Of course I am frightened to meet her family,” he honestly admits. “She talked about protecting and take me out of there if it becomes too much. What does that even mean?”

Maria had also done her interview, but she was smiling.

“My family is a big and happy family. Most of us are under thirty, and everyone is jealous. Well, not everyone, but most of them…” she says. She is asked which family member she thinks Hyunsuk should be extra careful around, and Maria looks to daze off when thinking it through. “It could be Super Junior senior. They are wild and crazy and the older brothers. Look out for them. And my ladies too: 5 Pieces is not to play around with. Especially Emelia. She is like a guy so she will know what to look for.”

Is Emelia like a guy?

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

“You have to throw it like a dude,” Emelia tells in her dark voice, grabbing the tablet from EXO’s Luhan to show him how to do the game. Luhan looks with big eyes at the tablet when she has taken it, looking to regret not holding on to it tighter but he is fast to try taking it back.

“You can’t do it. Let me,” he says in broken Korean, wanting his game back.

“No,” Emelia strictly says and turns her back towards him so he can’t take it. “You at it.”

Luhan gives her a sulky face-expression, and when he looks up at her head from behind he looks like he wants to say something bad to her but instead he gets up from his seat and tries to take the game back once more. “You at it too,” he tells her. “Give me.”

“You are ruining my game!” Emelia complains, her voice getting higher but it is still dark.

“You ruined my game!” Luhan complains too in a high voice, really upset. “Emelia!”

SM Town is in Singapore for the concert, and they are busy with the rehearsals because when that ends they can go to the hotel and sleep. But while waiting for their turns, Luhan had taken out the tablet to play a game. Emelia, seeing him constantly loosing over his shoulder, couldn’t take it anymore and took over. Lay who has been sitting next to them leaves his seat to join in the complaining by saying it is his turn – three childish idols, with pretty baby faces, are fighting over a game.

“Why are you all so immature?” Maria asks when walking by them, reaching over the table to leave her cardigan. “EM, come now, it’s our turn.”

“But I’m busy.”

“Listen to the married woman, Emelia!” Hannah sings outside the backstage room, on her way to the stage.

Emelia flies up from her seat for some reason – without the tablet, she leaves that to EXO’s Lay who laughs at the whining Luhan – and she runs after Hannah who starts to sprint to the stage to not get caught. Maria is left behind, slowly walking to the stage. By the time she reaches the stage she sees Hannah whining with Emelia hugging her, pressing her skinny arms in on Hannah who jumps and whines to get out of the grip. Others watching them are just entertained.

5 Pieces finishes their rehearsal, and once it is done they can go check in at the hotel.

“I want to sleep~” Carolina loudly says with a smile, stretching her arms up to stretch while walking backstage to get their things. “Who will I share room with?”

“Sten, sax, påse,” Julia suggests, saying it naturally in Swedish and as if it was planned, five hands are put down to be visible.

Hannah walks backwards in front of them to be part of it too, hearing her members count before they show rock-paper-scissors, the hand game that is popular to decide things. In this case it is the first two winners gets to share room, third and fourth gets to share room and the fifth gets to be roommate with someone else or alone, depending on the hotel room. Hannah laughs when Maria wins first, and then Hannah wins. The two girls’ cheers over that they will share room, doing a satisfied high-five and they are about to enter the backstage room when hearing someone call for them.

“You, step back!” Maria is fast to tell the person, pointing over with her whole arm and a finger specifically focused on the person walking up to them.

“You, are a married woman!” Jonghyun points out back at her.

“I’m still in charge, you stalker, step away or I’ll fire my leg at you!”

They are joking, everyone knows that. Hannah laughs with the others when Taemin from a distance bursts out; “Nuna, are you married?!”

“Maria, does your current husband (We Got Married) knows what you do to all your male friends?” Jonghyun continues to joke with her and he does some air-grabbing with his hand, having the weirdest face expression that makes Hannah unable to look, so she heads inside the room where Julia and Carolina are in a big discussion over how to sleep as the two of them will share room. Emelia will then sleep alone.

“Ya, dinosaur, concentrate on your own relationship, will ya? And I have decided to never let my husband get near Taemin and Minho. He would get jealous of their legs and butts,” Maria is saying in a matter of fact tone before stepping up to the approaching Taemin to give him a hug and pat him on the . By this time, Taemin should have gotten used to it, but he flushes and looks embarrassed. Jonghyun nods, saying he will concentrate on his own relationship and he walks inside the room where the other ladies are. “Ya! Jonghyun!”

Hannah looks up from her cell phone when the noise enters the room and she takes a step back when Jonghyun walks up to her with steps filled with confidence. She can see the tall leader of pieces walk inside the room too, having a warning expression that makes Hannah wonder what kind of game they are playing this time. Her hands are up in height of her chest, cell phone in one hand and she takes another step back by Jonghyun’s confident approach until he lets his hand slide around her waist to her back for her to not step away, and his head is lightly turned to the right before he presses his lips on Hannah’s. She gets a surprise, but she doesn’t push him away, neither does she actually do anything for reaction while those around them in the room gives out an impressed ‘oooh’ sound. Jonghyun turns them around for everyone to actually see that he is kissing her, his jaw-line hiding half of their faces. Maria gives out a laugh, and Hannah laughs too when hearing it, finally breaking away from the kiss, but she doesn’t break away from Jonghyun; instead she hugs him to hide her red face.

Jonghyun looks extremely happy, hugging her back while looking at Maria.

“Jealous?” he jokes with her before giving Hannah a peck on her hair as he has to go. Taemin keeps jumping by the door, all excited even if he has kept glancing away, too shy to look and Maria for some reason really likes it even if she had been the one warning Jonghyun for doing it. Emelia looks away now, looking angry. On his way out Jonghyun tells the ladies he did that because he can’t share room with Hannah at the hotel this weekend, so he is kind of giving back on the mean members. Hannah keeps patting her warm cheeks with her palms even when they are leaving, giggling whenever one of her members looks at her.

“I’m going to make someone do that for me too,” Maria says in deep thoughts. “I have a husband now… He will do something manly like that too. Maybe not kiss, but at least come up to me and hug me in public. I like a man like that.”

“I’m lucky, aren’t I?” Hannah giggles and hugs her friend’s arm. “You made him do it.”

“Oh, I did not!” Maria bursts out, but her voice is so light that Hannah laughs because Maria knows she is the reason for it. “So what if you two don’t share room, you spend enough time backstage together anyway. And beside, would you choose him or me as your hotel roommate?”

Hannah just smiles at her, continuing to hug Maria’s arm while they are walking. Maria is satisfied with the answer though it doesn’t really answer. By the hotel, fans are waiting. But they keep a distance, shouting in voices barely hearable, maybe because it’s late and they don’t want police to come tell them to leave. Hannah and Maria is like a duo when turning around to wave at the fans.

By the time 5 Pieces gets to enter their hotel rooms, Emelia is laughing in this I-am-evil because she won’t be sleeping on her own.

“Hyoyeon!” Emelia cheers when entering the room she will for the night share with SNSD’s Hyoyeon. Laughter and cheering is heard in that room and since Hannah and Maria is in the room next too there is a lot of communicating through the two rooms with banging on the wall.

The moment the banging has stopped, it’s easy to go to sleep.

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

“Hannah~” Taemin is singing through the microphone on the piano, being on the stage. “Where is Hannah~ 5 Pieces’ Hannah to the stage now~”

“I’m here,” Hannah says when jogging up on the stage.

“That took time,” Taemin jokes through the microphone and he laughs when Hannah tries to hit him on the arm.

Taemin seems to be in a happy mood for the rehearsals, while Hannah took her pills just recently so she feels like she can fall asleep any minute now. She apologizes to the staff for being late – though it was Taemin who just wanted to make fun of her by telling her to hurry up – and she stamps around on the place to figure out where she is supposed to stand. Taemin takes his seat by the piano, getting ready for the rehearsal of [I CRY]. Hannah keeps rubbing her eyes to try keep them open, also clearing at the same time while waiting for it to begin.

“Hannah~”

“Hush!” Hannah tells Taemin quickly, turning to him with a smile in her face but still irritated by that he keeps saying her name. Taemin laughs, so happy over her reaction and she grimaces at him, repeating for him to be quiet and he says ‘yes~’ in an agreeing tone because the rehearsal of [I CRY] is going to begin.

The rehearsal of the song goes well. Hannah is wearing a black cut away-shoulder top with lips printed at the front and short sleeves. Though it is far from winter in Singapore she is wearing sweatpants to the top and sneakers, but she is actually comfortable wearing sweatpants in the hot air for some reason – maybe because if she jumps or runs, air will blow right through her pants. Taemin is actually also wearing some kind of sweatpants, but he has a tank top to it, so though Hannah explained to the nagging Maria that there is nothing wrong with Hannah’s outfit, Maria suggested Hannah to change into a tank top too. Maria is weird; everyone knows that – which member is not weird…

Because she had taken that pill before, Hannah has a lot of trouble to focus during the rehearsal of [I CRY]. She doesn’t get in the emotion and since it is rehearsal she doesn’t sing as seriously either, but she manages to go through the song and when it ends she bows.

She is walking to the side with Taemin to get off the stage when he suddenly starts to run, to probably get down the stairs first and Hannah starts to run with him. As friends they are easily entertained, both having that personality that they can be entertained by nothing at all, so being together makes them automatically entertained – and they are in good moods now. Taemin pushes her playfully on the arm with his hand, though she is behind him, and Hannah is fast to push him back; though she pushes him a little harder so Taemin stumbles down a step and gives out a groan, which is followed by them laughing and Hannah grabbing his arm to make sure he doesn’t fall. He laughs and looks at her, asking if she went to the gym this morning because she seems stronger than yesterday. The response is Hannah showing her fist for him, as if warning him for saying such things and at the same time she also grimaces but continues to walk without hitting him.

The two of them keep pushing each other’s shoulders lightly when walking side by side through the outdoor corridor, then stopping to bow politely with smiles to DBSK’s Yunho and Changmin who are walking towards the stage.

“Are you two fighting or something?” Yunho asks them as he had seen how they were pushing each other. “Like little children…”

He continues to walk after the comment, smiling by the two behind them and when continuing to walk, Taemin pushes Hannah on the shoulder again. He laughs when she gets irritated and starts to lightly hit him over and over again with both hands on the arm.

The days’ rehearsals go well and then everyone prepares to get nice for the concert. Hannah, whose first performance will be [I CRY], gets dressed in a black long shirt, just as the ones she wore during the promotions of the song. A pair of short shorts in black are under just for safety and she gets to wear high heels too with bare legs.

“I can do this for hours,” SNSD’s Yoona breathes out, her face-expression twitching at times.

“I can’t,” Hannah laughs behind her. Hannah is giving Yoona a shoulder massage, and Yoona is really enjoying it while Hannah is starting to feel her fingers getting tired. But the girls are chatting with the others, sitting and catching up with each other and waiting for the concert to begin. Hannah reaches out her tongue tiredly and sits down next to Yoona when her fingers are too tired, and she sits there and checks her cell phone for text messages while talking to the others. Taemin walks to the table behind them to get a bottle of water, talking and Hannah doesn’t realise that he is talking to her until he pokes her at the back of her head and she looks up at him over her shoulder.

“Jongin has a question to ask you,” Taemin tells her and gives a nod to someone sitting not far away on another chair. Hannah looks clueless over at EXO’s Kai while Kai glances up at Taemin. Does he seem nervous?

“What?” Hannah asks him kindly.

Taemin chuckles, telling Kai to say it if he thinks its so important and Kai looks at Hannah with deep eyes before taking the word; “Because you and Taemin are friends,” he starts off, “and Taemin and I are friends – Hannah and I can be friends too?”

Hannah looks shocked and Yoona gives out a giggle next to her. In Korea, if you are of the same age you are friends; same age friends it can be called. What Kai means is that he is born in January 1994 while Taemin is born in July 1993, so there is about half a year between them. And since Hannah is born in July 1992, about ten days after Taemin; she and Taemin are basically same age friends (that is at least what they say they are and how their friendship works), so Kai probably means that there is a link – if Kai can be friend with Taemin, he should also be able to be friends with Taemin’s friend.

The happy looking Taemin leans forward to see Hannah’s shocked face expression and he laughs when she scratches her head when not knowing what to do or say. Hannah awkwardly ends up clearing and leave without a single word; she leaves a laughing Taemin with a stunned Kai.

“What does that mean?” Kai is confused.

“It means ‘no’. She doesn’t like you,” Taemin jokes with him, still smiling widely but Kai chuckles at him.

“She likes me,” he responses, not believing Taemin’s words. But it’s still fun. Yoona is laughing too because of Hannah’s weird reaction; and that Hannah ended up running away as so hilarious.

The concert’s beginning is closing in, but Hannah has sought up her boyfriend for desperate help, but after explaining the situation for him about Kai wanting to be her ‘friend’, all Jonghyun says is; “Why not?” His eyebrows are raised as he looks amused over Hannah panicking. She is just really cute when she is clueless in situations that are so normal for most people but so strange in her eyes.

“It’s awkward,” she answers, whispering to him for others to not hear (though they are standing there alone). “He was born 1994; two years younger than me.”

“So…? You are close to me, I’m two years older too,” Jonghyun answers, not understanding what the big deal is.

Hannah pouts, knowing he is right. “But you are my boyfriend.”

“Before that, Hannah.”

“But that’s different…” she continues to pout, though her lips pout out even more and she looks down. She knows she is being silly, because Hannah and Jonghyun probably started off the same – she just doesn’t like that Kai is born in 1994 and wants to be friends with her, while she has adjusted to that Taemin is a year younger than her. In other words; she doesn’t like younger people. Jonghyun smiles to her, putting his heavy arms around her shoulders in a hug and Hannah looks up at him, her pout turning in to a grimace. “Aren’t you supposed to tell me to not be friends with him because he is a guy?”

“I think it’s good if you get friends like that.”

“Even if he is tall and handsome?”

Jonghyun’s eyes get smaller by her question and Hannah smiles innocently at him as if she says she is joking. He doesn’t like the joke and pushes her away, acting upset and Hannah laughs by that action, hugging his arm and cutely tells him that she only likes Jonghyun.

“Is it because he is tall?” Jonghyun pretends to be jealous. Height is always sensitive to the shorter people… Hannah knows because she is the shortest in her group. He throws around with his arm and Hannah smiles behind her hand because he really is not an actor; he looks to have too much fun acting jealous.

Hannah hits him on the arm with a grimace, “I don’t like height, Oppa.”

He easily forgets to act jealous and nods, putting an arm around her again to head back to the others preparing for the concert. “That’s why we are fated to be together,” he tells her while nodding and Hannah laughs again though she nods in agreement. “In my opinion, you can be friends – but don’t look at him. He might be tall and handsome, but he is not your style. Who is your style?”

“You are,” Hannah answers as if she has been taught it, and Jonghyun nods as if he is the one who taught her.

But a little later, the concert has finally started. Hannah performs [I CRY] with Taemin, the two of them doing well like always and Hannah then heads to change clothes for her 5 Pieces’ performances. The girl group performs [Once Upon A Time] first, then [One and Only]. During their next time on the stage their perform [Black & White], and because the stage is slippery from the rain all the performances are worrying.

During their latest song’s performance, Hannah was super worried for her side-kick part, because she would only stand on one foot on the slippery stage. Right when that part comes – they don’t perform it live – she does the side-kick carefully to not slip and fall, and after succeeding she gets really happy to not fall but when managing to do that part, she slips a little when changing the next position. It’s just a small slip, but Julia also slipped behind her and almost fell. Through the concert they are all actually having so much fun on the slippery stage. Carolina keeps slipping and she falls down two times when the group later is performing [I Love You] + [Wanna Be] right after each other. She doesn’t get hurt, but she makes the others laugh over how funnily she falls.

5 Pieces also performs [Original], and when performing that song it is pouring down rain. Like the stage is like a huge wet pool, drowning their sneakers – thank god that 5 Pieces wears sneakers to all of the songs beside from [Black & White] – and rather than slipping around they are throwing around water when dancing but still it doesn’t feel like it makes a big difference because the rain keeps falling so they don’t even know what water is falling from the sky or being thrown back up from their dancing.

And the ending … is hopeless.

Seriously, Hannah thinks she has never laughed this much on stage before. The rain miraculously stopped for the ending of the concert when all the idols are on the stage together. Hannah had tried to dry her hair as much as everyone else had tried to dry their hairs backstage before getting up for the ending, but her hair is hopeless and she starts off on the stage with a pout because she doesn’t think she looks good enough to be standing on the stage. Carolina is standing next to her, the two girls standing with their arms around each other for a beginning, laughing for every little thing they see their seniors and juniors around them are doing before Carolina (like always) runs out on the other stages with Sunny.

 

Everyone walks around on the stages and Hannah is walking hand in hand with Amber, and the two of them just can’t stop laughing because Amber keeps trying to slide on the slippery stage and she is holding Hannah’s hand to get support from not falling. She makes Hannah laugh so much so for Hannah not to fall she hugs Amber from behind to keep her own balance and they make a stop to not walk in to Henry, and they keep laughing because they are close to falling on the stage when Henry turns around and Amber gets support from his arm too.

Hannah gets lost in the crowd of SM Town family after a while, but she keeps laughing because she is having fun with fans and with whomever she is close with stops next to her to give some fun comment about the concert or give a silly pose to fans. Hannah on her own also waves to fans in the audience, giving poses on her own too; a little later also sitting down on her heels, reaching over to get some kind of funny toy from a fan near the stage and she almost falls when Jonghyun runs in to her back with his legs from behind but he holds on to her shoulders to not let her fall. Her hand touches the stage before she stands up, turns around to push Jonghyun away and she just can’t stop smiling because he won’t step away; he is making fun of her balance too by holding on to her arms and pretending that he will push her. Hannah is laughing so much that she can’t stand rightly either, and she is so close to hug Jonghyun when realising that she actually is on the stage so she is happy that Taemin glides up to them with hands flying around to keep his balance and Hannah whines because she feels attacked from them. Following Taemin’s step – also gliding forward – is Kai, joining them so Hannah asks what they all want. Jonghyun keeps laughing too while Taemin holds on to her arm, telling her if she wants to be friends with Kai.

Hannah whines anew, saying they should stop ask her that, barely seeing Jonghyun move his hand in front of her and says “I accept it” as if he would made the decision and Kai is just looking at Hannah with those eyes and cool face-expression as if they are standing in the corridor alone and time has stopped. He smirks when Taemin continues to say they should be friends so they can create some kind of club or something and Hannah looks like she really wants to leave. Behind her she can hear fans shout to them, whether it is to call out that the boys are handsome or just scream, Hannah can’t really hear.

“Unnie!” Hannah sounds totally helpless – which Taemin must comment on – when she sees Emelia. But Emelia is busy chasing after Eunhyuk, so she just waves and walks by them.

Hannah ends up shaking Kai’s hand; both hands are wet from the stage and they greet each other as new friends. Though Hannah the moment after that tries to run away, not wanting to face it anymore, and she instead bows politely when passing by Changmin and later joins Julia to stand hand in hand and wave their hands in cute harmony with the music and fans.

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

Headline 22nd: Japan Is Charmed By 5 Pieces’ Hannah In New Chocolate CF, Version 1

Headline 22nd: 5 Pieces Pre-Records This Weekends Performances Due To SM Town Concerts

Headline 22nd: Maria & Kwon Hyunsuk Seen On Date For ‘We Got Married’ Filming

Headline 22nd: 5 Pieces Wins On M Countdown This Week

Headline 22nd: ‘A Good Cause’ Episode 5 Airs With 5 Pieces Being Baby Sitters

 

Headline 23rd: 5 Pieces ‘Thank You’ Video To Ellen DeGeneres Shown On TV

Headline 23rd: 5 Pieces Takes 1st Spot On Music Bank Fifth Week + [Black & White] Performance