Chapter 07

Youngest of Pieces - [Black & White] (7)

 

Maria smiles happy when putting her arm around a short older woman; Maria directly looking at the camera filming while the woman is looking away. “This is my mother,” Maria introduces and leans her head towards the woman. Their noses look exactly the like. “Isn’t she adorable?”

Backstage at the rehearsals of the concert, the families have started to arrive. Maria came backstage the moment she heard that her mother and sister are there. Carolina’s father and brother have come too, as they were the ones giving Carolina a ride in the morning. More family members will come later. Maria sits down by the table, continuing to talk to the camera while getting food from her mother.

“Mom came here to feed me. Dad made the food though,” Maria is talking and she has just put in the first spoon when looking at someone coming inside the room. She almost spits out the food in her hurry, waving at the person and then to her mother, hurrying to chew before her loud voice is heard; “Key!” SHINee’s Key had walked inside the room, just arriving, and when she gets his attention she waves for him to come over. “Mom, this is my soul mate.”

She mixes Korean and Swedish when talking from her mother and Key, introducing the two of them and waving for Onew to come over and greet too. It’s an awkward greeting because they speak different languages, but Maria is just happy to let them meet each other. Her mother tells her she should let the other members eat some of the food too; she brought food enough for all the members.

“Julia,” Maria calls out and waves her hand for Julia to come and eat, busy eating by her self. “Dad’s food is the best.”

Julia comes up to her, leaning over the table to taste it as she says she isn’t hungry. “Maria will leave some for you to eat later then,” Maria’s mother says and she means that she will stop Maria from eating up everything.

Out on the stage, Hannah is rehearsing [Endless Love] with Taemin. Yesterday when SHINee arrived, the girls had skipped that song and continued with the other songs, so this is their first day rehearsing it. Taemin just arrived to the arena now too, SHINee got to sleep a little longer, but he and Hannah warms up before starting the rehearsal. Hannah is waving to a camera filming on the side. Honestly she is confused with all the cameras. Of course she can see the difference with the Swedish TV, those having the TV station’s names on the cameras and they are Swedish, but the many Koreans filming are from all kind of shows that she is just confused. The reason she is nervous now is not because of the cameras, but Lee Sooman is there. He has just arrived to the arena too and is sitting in front of the stage to follow the rehearsal.

“You should have gone through this yesterday,” he mentions as they never rehearsed [Endless Love] yesterday, and today is just a fast go-through since it is the day of the concert. He seems a little disappointed in that, but since Hannah and Taemin does well during the rehearsal he just nods and tells he likes their chemistry together. Hannah and Taemin do a high five for the compliment when heading off the stage.

Hannah hurries to the backstage room, smiling happily when greeting the families that have come, but she just came backstage to change her current sneakers into other sneakers, hurrying back to the stage as they are just showing a video.

Along with Lee Sooman, also DBSK’s two members Yunho and Changmin had come. They had been backstage, greeting the other members and staff while Hannah and Taemin had done their rehearsal. They waves to Hannah when she is walking around rehearsing [Let Us Sing] with the other members. That’s the first time she sees them today.

Song after song after song, several songs later the girls get time to get some rest as it is SHINee and DBSK’s turn to rehearse. The two guest groups will perform each one song, and during the rehearsals of [Sherlock] and [Keep Your Head Down], 5 Pieces sits down in front of the stage and watches them, resting. When DBSK ends their song, the girls are applauding and cheering loudly – Carolina tries out a part of [Keep Your Head Down] dance, trying to push Hannah to go down. Hannah just hurries up on the stage, ignoring her totally. Only Hannah and Maria heads up on the stage and introduce SHINee and DBSK to the imaginary audience. Lee Sooman helps them out with suggestions of what to say, though the girls translate it to Swedish.

“DBSK Senior wasn’t actually supposed to feature in the concert,” Julia is saying to a camera backstage. “But they came all the way here to support us… Our great seniors, thank you so much!”

Lee Sooman is approached by a camera too, standing in a corridor backstage as he had to talk to some staff while the rehearsal continues. He gives off a kind voice and smile when the camera is in front of him and he listens when being asked why it was decided to let 5 Pieces have a concert in just Sweden. You can hear the music from the stage, how 5 Pieces is practicing with the instruments. The drums loudly playing and the electric guitar is played, Maria’s rock vibe voice is heard too. He smiles when hearing someone give off a scream, the sound is dull through the walls but you can still hear it.

“A lot of fans from around Europe sent requests and videos, asking us to let 5 Pieces have a concert in Europe. Because of the amount of fans, and because 5 Pieces have before been unable to join SM Town at their Paris concert, we decided to let them have a concert. 5 Pieces is talented, both musically and in languages. Last December, 5 Pieces met their fans in Europe and it was a pretty good response… When thinking of letting 5 Pieces bring their ‘Moon Child’ tour to Europe, it became Sweden because it is their home country and a place that means a lot for the ladies,” Lee Sooman is answering, mixing a friendly tone with a business-man’s words and face.

“You have seen a bit of the concert rehearsal. How do you think 5 Pieces is doing?” the camera-man asks him.

“They are always doing well. I’m proud over them. I know it means a lot for them to be in Sweden, especially to have a concert here, but they are focused and professional,” Lee Sooman is answering while nodding. “The other concerts around Asia have gone well too and you can see how they have grown with it, but being in their home country is very special. I believe they will do very well at today’s concert; I have a lot of faith in them.”

He keeps nodding, slowly starting to walk away from the camera, trying to see if the interview is over and he thanks the camera-man for the hard work before walking off.

Lee Sooman is back in front of the stage to give his opinion. He looks serious when watching the rehearsal, keeping a microphone in his hand so he can come with his comments when he feels for it. 5 Pieces sits down on the stairs on the main stage, preparing for the ballad parts. Carolina is poking on Julia’s shoulder, as she is sitting behind her, and halfway through the song, the music stops. Surprised, the girls looks to the side. That was not supposed to happen.

Two minutes later, they are anxiously walking around on the stage. Hannah is still sitting down, her back hurting but she has the same worried face expression as everyone else. Emelia looks at a camera coming up from her side, filming her. “There are some problems with the speakers,” she says in a low voice, looking away with a worried expression. It is a serious mood, the staff trying to fix the problem and the girls wondering what to do. It will be a huge problem if the speakers won’t work; some staff even starting to talk about going to get some new speakers, which is not a good sign as it may delay their schedule. Confusion is over the girls as they are waiting to hear news.

Hannah hears her name being called and she can see Manager Lim waving to her from the side. She walks over to him, squatting down on the stage to hear what he says as he is standing below the stage. He tells her that the doctor just arrived – her doctor from Korea who promised to come to Sweden to make sure her health is okay for the concerts – and he asks if she can come backstage for a quick check. Hannah asks in the microphone if she can go backstage for a few minutes, a Swedish staff responding that everyone can take a break while they will try to fix the speakers. Hannah is first to get off the stage, following their manager to the room where the doctor is getting ready for a check-up.

“How are you doing?” he greets her with a smile, patting the seat for Hannah to sit down. “Have you taken the pills, done the exercises and everything?”

“I have done everything,” Hannah obediently answers. She had gotten a note from her doctor where it stands everything she has to do every day, when to take the pills and all that. She has followed it well. When he first asks if anything has been hurting, she first answers that it has been like usual, glancing at her manager who is there. The doctor tells Manager Lim to step outside and then repeats his question to Hannah, saying she must be honest to him. “My back hurts. And my left hand keeps… I don’t know how to say it… I loose grip of things?”

“Hold this for me,” the doctor says and gives her a book from the side, letting her hold it in her left hand. He sees how she turns her wrist strangely; he takes away the book and starts pressing spots on her palm, wrist and up the arm, asking her how it feels. “Have you done exercises with the hand?”

“I haven’t… I have just played the drums.”

She can see how he frowns at that. He knows that she got a drum performance in the concert, she has had at every ‘Moon Child’ concert, but that doesn’t mean he likes it. Playing instruments is different than doing exercises, so she is using her wrists and arms differently than she should. “You don’t have strength in the hand, that is the problem. If you hold something too hard, your hand will shake and you will drop what you are holding, that’s is what has happened right? Even your fingers don’t have strength. But it was like this before too?”

“Not this much. I’m worried I might drop the microphone nonstop.”

“There is nothing I can do about that now,” he sighs and moves to stand behind her. “You might be careful using your left hand, especially if you are holding something. How is your back? I will press on some spots, and tell me where it feels the most, okay?”

She nods, taking a deep breath as she is used to this.

They aren’t done until Manager Lim looks inside, firstly saying she is told to go back to finish the rehearsal and secondly asking the doctor how she is doing. “She is doing well. Her back is hurting, so I am suggesting she will lie down on her back with her legs up against the wall like I have told her before, whenever she gets the chance.”

The doctor looks to get a surprise when Lee Sooman is standing outside in the corridor. Hannah gives him a polite bow. “Are you okay?” he asks her fatherly, well aware of her condition. He looks behind Hannah at the doctor to get a correct answer from him.

“At this moment she can go through the concert. I’ll keep an eye on her,” the doctor politely answers.

“Good. We all keep an eye on her,” Lee Sooman answers and laughs in a low tone to himself.

Hannah then hurries to the stage, apologizing for being late. Maria hasn’t returned from the bathroom yet though. The speakers are working. It seemed like someone had just accidentally tripped over some cords on the floor, and the speakers stopped working because of that. It is fixed now so they can continue with the rehearsals.

Later, during Maria’s solo rehearsal of Miley Cyrus’ [7 Things], the others are standing in front of the stage, jumping and cheering as audience. Hannah is throwing her hair during the chorus, screaming like a fan to help keep Maria’s mood up for the rehearsal. Maria is awesome for this performance, running and singing and showing her own self. Hannah can say she is a fan of Maria, honestly. Carolina is crazily jumping with her, as two crazy fans.

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

Make-up, hair, nails, clothes, shoes, accessories – everything is done. Backstage is a mess. The girls have come back after the press conference and interviews, speaking in Swedish mixed with English to media from around the world, and they are now putting on the ear-pieces and getting a touch on their make-up and everything. It’s an hour left, and the arena is filling up with loud fans.

Maria’s sisters and parents are all there now; you can recognize them because the children all have the same nose as their mother and familiar features to their father, but all of them are so familiar even if the oldest sister and mother are short and chubby, Maria is tall and got model legs and the middle sister is short and thin. All of them look alike. Carolina’s mother has arrived too – her father and brother are there since earlier – and Julia’s mother is there. Emelia’s parents, older sister and brother-in-law and nephew just arrived, and they are currently greeting the others. The best thing according to Maria is that every parent have brought home-cooked food with them during the day, so the girls have had food backstage to eat that they grew up with and that they can’t eat when they aren’t at home.

“You look so different!” Emelia’s mother exclaims when putting her hands on Hannah’s cheeks, holding her face firmly. “What happened to our chubby little Hannah? You have grown up so beautifully…”

“Ah, no…” Hannah cutely laughs.

The room is loud with the voices of their families. Maria is loudly telling one of the many cameras there that it is the first time their families meet; the girls have never been in a room with their parents like this before. Hannah gets hugs from Julia’s mother, but Emelia’s mother is talking to her, asking her things and constantly saying she has lost so much weight.

“Hannah used to come to our house all the time when they were little,” Emelia’s mother says to a camera, not caring if it is for Sweden or Korea. Hannah is standing next to her, smiling happily. “Every day after school she came home to us; Hannah and Emelia were playing with horses and they used to be outside on the porch until midnight, writing in their pads… They were inseparable at that time, so cute. Our Hannah is still so cute.”

Hannah laughs when being touched on the cheek by Emelia’s mother. Hannah did use to always spend the time after school at Emelia’s place. They were kids, always having fun and never had a boring moment. Emelia’s parents have always been kind to Hannah, asking if she wants to eat dinner with them and letting her come along on things. Hannah laughs when receiving another hug from Emelia’s mother. She had also talked to Hannah about food, saying she had brought Emelia’s favourite and she brought some extra since she knows Hannah likes the things Emelia likes. Emelia during that time is showing off her nephew to another camera.

Maria is eating again, trying to keep herself busy with talking and eating to not think of the concert.

Hannah awkwardly slinks outside the room, standing outside to talk to Changmin, Onew and Jonghyun. It’s awkward to see her members all busy chatting and smiling with their families; she doesn’t want to be in the way so after greetings she went outside to not just stand and daze out over the concert closing in on the hour. Changmin is chuckling over Hannah’s nervousness when a camera-man comes up to film them, asking them if they are nervous.

“Hannah is about to cry,” Changmin informs with a funny laugh. Hannah turns to look at the camera with some sort of pout. “She is so nervous that she is almost shaking.”

“I AM shaking,” Hannah answers and shows her hand for the camera, shaking it on purpose and she laughs with the others. “Senior should give me some advice.”

That Onew and Jonghyun turn to Changmin after her words makes them all laugh. He just tells her to be herself, but a little less nervous and more active. He starts to keep bringing up things she should do a little more of and he stops when sensing she is about to hit him – because he first told her to be herself but then told her a row of things. Onew and Jonghyun leaves to go change pants and shoes, so the camera-man asks Changmin what he thinks of 5 Pieces’ concert in Sweden.

“We talked about it before,” Changmin starts off saying, stepping closer to Hannah so they can be filmed together, “That we would want to bring the whole SM Town to Sweden, to have more concerts in Europe. But that 5 Pieces is able to have a concert in Sweden… they deserve it. Our juniors have worked hard in Asia, so it makes me proud that they are getting some attention in Europe. They are going pass us now.”

“Not even close,” Hannah comments on his last sentence and she shoots a bright smile to the camera before laughing. “DBSK Senior has given us a lot of help during the day; I think the concert might go better thanks to them.”

“Take notice of how she talks,” Changmin is fast to say, pointing at the camera. “She said ’might go better’, just might go better. We came all the way here to give our support to our hardworking juniors’ first concert in their home town. We are honoured to be able to have a small appearance in their concert.”

Not much time later, 5 Pieces gets big time guests. They don’t really know what foreigners things of the guests, but for Sweden it is big time guests. Swedish Idol winner since years back Darin, comes backstage to say that he heard they are dancing to one of his songs 5 Pieces does perform a dance version of Darin’s [Want Ya], but not did they expect him to show up. In fact, the girls didn’t know any celebrity beside from their Korean friends would show up. He is kind, so they are chatting a little backstage. Another Swedish singer that comes backstage is Loreen, the singer who won Eurovision Song Contest 2012. Maria and Carolina goes a little insane when seeing her, while Hannah quietly for herself says she got no idea of who it is. But something that makes 5 Pieces’ eyes grow big is when actor Mikael Persbrandt comes. It is like having the best actor in Sweden there, and he is there with his family. 5 Pieces even gives them their autographs, of course getting autographs back from the celebrities. It’s a chock. They could understand Darin and Loreen’s visit, but not Mikael Persbrandt. They will never be able to understand that.

The moment he has left, Julia says they can’t perform. “Top stars of SWEDEN are here; don’t you find that freaking insane? How can we perform with that presence?”

Maria is hyper ventilating when they are in their room, the emotions of the concert reaching her. The stylist is waving a magazine in front of her, helping her to calm down. They are going crazy. The minutes are counting down; Lee Sooman shows up to give them a final support. Their families have to leave to take their positions, and around that time Hannah hears that her cousins have arrived. She walks over to the corridor; her family is different from the others as they don’t want to appear in front of the cameras or anything, so they meet in the corridor instead. Hannah’s aunt looks totally surprised when seeing Hannah, and Hannah had for a moment there forgotten that she is dressed for the stage – the pirate concept is probably looking like Halloween costume for her aunt and cousins.

“Where is Hannah?” her aunt jokes but then laughs, taking out her arms for a hug. “You don’t look related to us anymore, poor Hannah.”

“You look like you are in a movie,” Hannah’s oldest cousin – 12 years old – mentions. Both of her cousins are girls, they are adorable and chubby like their mother. Hannah used to think she was more part of that family than her own mother’s, because Hannah is short like her aunt while her mother and sister’s are tall. The chatting isn’t for long, just a brief conversation with usual questions before they part. Her aunt and cousins heads to take their seats while Hannah heads backstage. She thought she would get all teary when seeing them, but she just got happy because they got happy. Now when heading back to the room she is starting to panic like Maria was about to do. She starts to wave her hands in front of her, taking deep breaths. She is back in the room after calming down, though she can’t calm down when entering.

“Ladies,” Maria’s voice is heard speaking in the dressing-room where everyone is preparing for the minutes before it all will start. “Remember your positions and parts… Stay focused on the music, okay? Are you listening?”

No one seems to show a reaction and for probably the first time, Maria doesn’t shout out for them to hear either. She takes a deep breath by herself to calm her own nerves, turning to focus on her own thing.

A minute later, the girls stand together with their hands on top of each other, cameras filming them.

“Breathe,” Maria starts off, wanting to hold their hands together tightly but she doesn’t do that. She can see on their faces that they are just as nervous as she is. “Stay focused and have fun. This is Sweden; the place we grew up in and this is where we started. 5 Pieces, damn I love you, and damn I am so nervous that I am about to burst out crying right now. We have come this far!” None of them can stand still. “We got everything to loose and everything to win, and with our fans and families waiting out there for us, chanting our name; THIS IS MOON CHILD! Now let’s step up there and show them! … WHO ARE WE?!”

“5 PIECES!”

“WHO ARE WE?!” Maria screams even louder.

“5 PIECES!!!”

Their hands flies up in the air with a shout, the people in the room cheering over how hyped up they get and half a minute later they are heading out the room. Right outside stands DBSK. Hannah can hear Yunho trying to give them final advices, telling them they will do well. Hannah is shaking her hands when they stop by the side of the stage. She closes her eyes, holding in the tears and taking deep breaths, hearing the staff, members and others around them. The tears are trying to break through now and she shakes her whole body to try get rid of it. Julia’s voice is in front of her.

“You can’t cry already. Hannah, focus; think of [Original]. How are we performing? What is your pose?” Julia is helping her to think of something else than their location. Hannah guess Julia is talking to herself too, as her voice is unsteady, wanting to get up on the stage like everone else and just have a blast.

“Stay safe, Pieces,” they can hear Changmin say. He has followed them to the side, he too feeling nervous when seeing the girls like this. “Don’t fall or trip, and have a lot of fun.”

“Pieces!” Emelia’s voice is heard. “Let’s take over Sundsvall!”

“Sundsvall was taken over five years ago,” Maria mentions, sounding confident and the whole group smiles. “Do you remember?” Maria asks them, moving her eyebrows. “5 Pieces – take over the world plan.”

Emelia pulls them all together, holding their arms around each other in a circle. No camera catches what they are saying to each other; this is 5 Pieces’ moment. “We are going to have a fun time with our fans, like we always have. See it like that. Think of the next song if you feel like crying in the beginning; do not let your focus down,” Emelia is saying. “Like Maria said; we have gotten this far. We are in Sweden, we are at home, and all these fans have come all the way here for us. DBSK, SHINee and Lee Sooman – everyone is here for us five. Forget tomorrow, forget yesterday – this concert is the only thing we got to think of. We are 5 Pieces, four years in Korea, 20 years alive. We can do anything. And to remind you all; I love you, let’s do well and have fun today and don’t forget what took us here and all the people who are supporting us. Fighting!”

The circle scatter and it is time for them to take their positions. They give a final fist in the air for ‘fighting’ towards SHINee and DBSK standing on the side; this is it. Like always for a performance, you can see how the girls keep patting each other on the arm or the shoulder, touches someone’s arm and talks. Sweden is all about 5 Pieces, it is all about the members. This city is of their lives when they just had each other, before they had seniors helping them and fans supporting them. This is where 5 Pieces was born, where they grew up and where they got to know each other. But that means they have come back to Sweden with a whole concert; and they will show what they have learnt and fought for. Though Hannah’s mother and sisters and brothers aren’t there, her members’ families are present and Puzzle is there.

The girls performs [Original] after the opening, and Maria is on the verge of crying when seeing the purple ocean in front of them. The whole arena is filled with fans; the purple ocean of Puzzle is as dazzling as it always is and though the bright spotlights always makes those on the stage blind, they can see the ocean of purple.

“SWEDEN!” Emelia’s dark voice roars in the speakers, a loud cheering answering her. “ARE YOU READY FOR 5 PIECES?!!!”

“YEEEEEES!!!!!!!” the long, loud answer is heard from the whole arena almost as loud as her scream had been. Emelia gives a smirk.

Four songs later, the group is having the greetings.

“1, 2, 3,” Maria counts down before the girls says in chorus; “hello, we are pieces of one; 5 Pieces!”

“5 Pieces first concert has reached Sweden!” Carolina gives off a loud cheer in Swedish. “Are you all excited?!”

The audience gives a loud response. “So many of you have come to our ‘Moon Child’ concert today… it feels really good to meet everyone here in Sweden!” Maria is loudly saying, also sounding happy and totally excited, and her voice goes up that you can think it will crack – but it doesn’t. “First of all we must thank everyone for coming to this chilly city, hopefully we will have a lot of fun and move a lot so we will stay warm. I get a tear in the eye when seeing this beautiful sight in front of us… But with the greetings being done, I feel we should hurry start with the next song because I just can’t stand still seeing everyone here.” Maria definitely got her own way to talk, and the audience is warmed up to scream, go freakily insane and have a great evening with them.

“Let’s have a lot of fun! The next song is [Now and Forever]!”

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

Julia and Carolina’s cover of BoA’s [My Name] comes to an end, the spotlight focuses on the pretty boy appearing on the “left arm” stage; Taemin starts singing [Endless Love]. Such a wild roar is heard from the audience by his appearance; he is the first beside from 5 Pieces to appear on the stage and he looks like an anime character. He sings in a soft voice, the pretty Taemin taking down the microphone from his mouth when his first line ends. Hannah appears on the other arm stage, coming up in the lift like Taemin had done on the other side, starting to sing her part. They sing the song together, glancing at each other from afar and looking out over the audience that once in a while just have to give off a loud scream.

*I love you now and forever, an endless love

You’re everything I ever need, everything I ever want

What I wish for is you to be with me and only me~

An endless love, the two of us~~*

Taemin’s voice sounds like a brother’s in Hannah’s ears. She likes to perform with him. He has improved a lot as a singer, and he is happy to be able to perform a ballad like this because he is able to show it. Though it is a love song, none of them would ever see each other that way, but they still perform it so well together. Like Lee Sooman said; they got chemistry.

*A man and a woman’s first love is unforgotten

Feelings you never felt before, you feel addicted

Addicted to the love, to keep it where it belongs*

Hannah sings her part and she looks over at Taemin when he starts to sing his part after her, and she sits down on her heels to reach her hand out for some fans, standing up as the chorus is starting again. A little more in to the song, they start to head to the middle stage, slowly walking there while singing the chorus for a third time. Taemin sings out *all I want* in a long tone while Hannah continues to sing the chorus, and at the end of that chorus they are taking the final steps before standing in front of each other, facing each other.

[Taemin] *I’ve dreamt of you for my whole life, and here you are, right in front of my eyes ([Hannah] right here~~)

A beautiful woman of my dreams, I love you, I have always loved you and will, for an eternity*

[Hannah] *I’ve dreamt of you for my whole life, and there you are, standing before me ([Taemin] before me~~)

A handsome man of my dreams, I love you, I have always loved you and will, for an eternity*

[CHORUS, Hannah/Taemin] *I love you now and forever, an endless love

You’re everything I ever need, everything I ever want

What I wish for you is to be with me and only me~

An endless love, the two of us~~*

It’s the ending, both of them singing in high voices for the final, sounding like they are about to break apart.

*Did you miss me? Did you miss me?

These days away from each other, the endless love of a man and a woman

Did you think of me? Did you think of me?

Those days away from each other, thinking of seeing you

I can’t forget~, I can’t forget~*

The song comes to an end and the two smiles at each other. It’s amazing to perform in Sweden, with 5 Pieces, with SHINee… To perform all these songs with not just her childhood friends but also with these boy friends too makes her want to pinch herself; maybe it is all a dream. But she doesn’t want to wake up hearing the audience cheers them on. Taemin gives an awkward laugh, making Hannah smile wider and she takes his wrist to turn him towards the audience and bow before the lights goes out.