Chapter 14

Youngest of Pieces - [Black & White] (7)

It is seriously loud on the street. For the filming of their new music video, 5 Pieces has come out on the street; Carolina and Hannah are sitting at a café. A making-of camera finds the two girls sitting at two different tables, currently filming of Carolina lip-synching to the song while Hannah in the background chats with her friends. When the cameras for the music video aren’t filming, Carolina – who had seen the making-of camera – pretends to first pretend she hasn’t seen it but sneakily shows a v-sign with her hand while looking somewhere else. Hannah sitting behind her by the next table was seriously listening to the director telling her how to react when seeing her stalker standing outside the window, but when Hannah sees the making-of camera she shoots a bright smile and waves. Outside the café, fans are gathering as they have been filming for quite some time different scenes, both outside on the street and in the café.

Also present again is Chanyeol. Just as handsome as before, looking like a fool whenever he smiles, he still acts well as a stalker. Chanyeol acts by standing outside the café, looking in through the window. Hannah will be chatting with her friends, but when seeing him her smile will disappear. The first scene of the drama/music video hasn’t been filmed yet, but it is up next. Yesterday was filmed with filming, and today is too.

Hannah has changed clothes again before she is standing on the street in front of Chanyeol, the director lively talking to them both. It is the opening scene for the music video, of the piano intro, that they will film. Hannah nods and gives an example of her walking by Chanyeol, brushing their arms.

“Just lightly, exactly,” the director says seriously. “We will film Chanyeol’s reaction first. His face and Hannah’s back. You will look angry and heartbroken, just stand still for a few seconds before you turn around to look after her. Slowly, do everything slowly.”

The same part is tried a few times, first time they are told to go a little faster, second time told to give more emotions, third time told to go just a little, little slower, and the fourth Hannah doesn’t brush against his arm enough, the fifth time she brushes against his arm too much… like that it goes on until the director is satisfied. Then they have to do it from the other direction too to film Hannah’s face and then also Chanyeol’s face when he looks after her. Watching that, it looks cool. Hannah walks by him with her head low, and just when she is about to walk out from the camera range she looks up and the camera captures her face expression before focusing on Chanyeol slowly turning around, zooming in on his hardening face expression.

“Perfect!” the director says after finally making it right.

It is the first scene of where Hannah is breaking up with Chanyeol, and after this he will stalk her even more because he can’t let her go. In the clothes she had worn at the café, they had – before she changed clothes – filmed Hannah walking on the street, some other people walking too, and Chanyeol had been walking like a shadow several meters behind her. When Hannah looked behind her, he hid around the corner. It was fun to film that part, automatically Hannah and Chanyeol joking of the things they do. They are of the same age, so Hannah’s only problem with the happy pill is his height. In 8cm high heels, Hannah is still around 14cm shorter. It looks good on camera and for others, but for Hannah she just thinks she will break her neck if she looks up at him.

“I’m still nervous,” Chanyeol confesses to her with a hand on his chest, showing all of his teeth in the smile.

“You are still doing great,” Hannah comforts him. “You just need to get shorter.”

He laughs, softening up by her joke, nodding and says he will give her a box or something that she can stand on. That was honestly fun, she must admit that. After the outdoor scenes, with all five girls walking down the street together too for the final – Hannah looking back and not seeing someone following anymore so she happily can walk away with her four pieces – they heads to continue filming indoors.

Hannah greets the making-of camera when walking in on the set, waving her hands after bowing, not saying a single word or even opening . She walks by like that, talking to the director a little before the making-of camera-man approaches her sitting on the side. Hannah is pouting out with her lips cutely, a habit of hers.

“The other members went home to sleep,” she pouts at the camera-man. “They left me to film alone…” she then points further away at someone who just arrived. “That’s my only company.”

She giggles a little because those that now entered are none other than EXO members. They have come to support Chanyeol, now when they finally have an indoor filming for the music video. From a distance when the little group of boys sees Hannah, they starting to bow politely and she just sits there, waving welcoming to them.

“They are so cute,” Hannah giggles to the camera when seeing them move in an awkward group through the side of the set, greeting the staff with their polite words. It is Suho, Sehun, Kai, D.O, Luhan, Lay and Tao. She sees all seven of them, knowing that Chanyeol is still in the dressing-room. It’s an awkward greeting when they come up to Hannah, who suddenly has a stylist touching her hair. “Did you eat?” Hannah asks. Food is always a good conversation. “There is food in the other room if you want. The salad looks really good.”

“You haven’t tried it?” Suho chuckles.

“Work first,” Hannah simply answers and stands up. “Are you staying for long?”

They chat just lightly, talking about schedule and food. Hannah still tells them to go eat if they want before she heads over to the director who calls for her, her manager standing there too. Chanyeol appears too, looking more comfortable knowing s are there and he keeps glancing around after them. Hannah smiles as she knows she would be more comfortable if her members were present too, but she can understand that they want to get a little sleep whenever they can – she does it too. They have four-five days to film two music videos, so they will need the sleep. While nodding to the director exchanging his ideas of how he wants the next scenes to be, Hannah sees that from the side how some staff from a Japanese show arrives – if it is some news or entertainment she doesn’t know, all she knows is that she recognizes the Japanese letters. It’s also that with a second look she recognizes the woman holding the smaller camera from when 5 Pieces filmed the Japanese music video not too long ago. So when she gets the chance, she walks up to the camera because… they waved at her. The Japanese comes out easily when she introduces herself and she listens when they ask her what they are doing.

“We are about to start filming for 5 Pieces new music video. Our Korean comeback,” Hannah answers and glances behind her shoulder towards the set. “I am going to film with … EXO’s Chanyeol. Now, EXO members are here too, visiting.”

She feels like she needs to mention the boys. They will make a comeback later in the year, they are the rookies in their SM Town family and she can see Luhan looking like the cutest alien animal looking around several meters away with his lost face expression. Hannah has a habit of nodding when getting a question, just to show that she is listening, and that is what she does now too.

“The concept is very cool. For [-Erase You-] we have outfits that are very … um … casual, while the song and expression is very strong in a way. It is a song we haven’t tried before, so we are curious of how our fans will react and…” Hannah has no idea of what she is rambling; she just tries to translate Korean to Japanese of what she has heard the other members read up from papers in preparations for interviews about the comeback and song. Lucky her; Chanyeol sneaks up behind her: he tries to be invisible, just curious of what she is saying as he just had heard her say their group-name, but he breathes just like Carolina – which means it is impossible to sneak up on Hannah. And since Hannah notices it, she turns around and he gets to stand next to her, making fun of her height by bending his knees to get in her height. Seeing Chanyeol make fun of Hannah’s height, Tao suddenly appears on Hannah’s other side and does the same with his knees and Hannah gets almost a mental breakdown. And she isn’t wearing high heels, so she is tiny next to the tall boys.

“This is fun,” Hannah starts to point out for the cameras before putting her hand out at her right; “Chanyeol is Korean-” she takes out her hand to her own chest, “I’m Swedish-” and she puts her hand out to the left, “and Tao is Chinese. And I am speaking Japanese. Life is beautiful.”

The moment is broken when the two actors are told to get in action. The scene is taking place in what is supposed to be a bedroom – Hannah’s bedroom for the music video. It has a fake surrounding, a green screen outside the windows where Chanyeol will be standing like a big time creep. Just him standing on the other side like a freak while Hannah sits down on the bed, she just can’t stop laughing at how lonely he looks.

“Are you sure this isn’t the scene where Hannah throws out her puppy?” one in the staff jokes when seeing them and everyone laughs, Chanyeol also giving some adorable puppy face to make them laugh even more. Hannah laughs and shakes her head; no way that she will join in that joke, though she has fun of it.

The first scene goes well, just two takes and then they do the same in different angles. But then, there is this weird next scene, of Hannah being kidnapped. She changes clothes, Chanyeol changes clothes, and Hannah can feel herself going all crazy on the inside when the director explains how they will do. Hannah glances at Chanyeol and she sees that though he tries to keep his face, he is awkward and nervous too. She walks up to stand next to the bed, picking up a note that when she reads makes her laugh. Chanyeol had walked up to stand there too and he laughs too when she shows what it stands on it. ‘You are mine’ it says, and it’s just really fun for some reason. The director directs them of what to do after that Hannah has picked up the note, showing that she looks up and there Chanyeol will stand. Hannah will panic over that he has entered her bathroom and in details, Chanyeol will grab her arm – they are trying this in slow motion – and Hannah starts to fight against. Hannah is supposed to scream – when practicing she laughs – and Chanyeol will manage to hold on to her from behind and the director explains that this part of the scene will kind of be showed slower than the rest to capture Hannah fighting against.

Just practicing is awkward, and that EXO members are curiously watching from the side is making her extremely nervous. They film it a few times, doing better than Hannah thought but not in the quality of the music video, so they keep retaking it. It’s actually fun after doing it a few times; Chanyeol having his arms around Hannah and she jumping and trying to get out of his grip. She accidentally jumps on his foot a few times too, though Chanyeol says he barely felt it when she apologizes. EXO is heard giving some cheerful shouts on the side from time to time, making the already awkward two even more awkward.

A short break is taken, and at that time the other members of 5 Pieces comes. They just arrived, barely ready for their next scene, while Hannah’s scenes aren’t done yet. They are on the side, chatting with EXO instead. Since it is a short break, Hannah and Chanyeol comes over to them too.

“Kyung Ho texted me,” is the first thing Hannah says when coming up to Maria who reaches out her hand for her. “He got accepted for a role.”

“He got one?” Maria looks impressed, Hannah taking her hand for some weak handshake.

Hannah’s Korean little brother, Kyung Ho, has for the past months gone to auditions. He is a child wanting to be an actor, and though he knows 5 Pieces’ Hannah, he doesn’t want to get a role in a drama or movie because of who he knows. She has helped him to know what kind of auditions there are at the moment, helped him practice for them, but he has gone to all of the auditions on his own and Hannah thinks he has done so well. And earlier today he texted her to tell her that he had final gotten a response.

“I called him and he said he has got this tiny role in some drama,” Hannah tells happily, you can so tell how proud she is, “and I told him he should be deeply proud over himself even if it is a small role.”

“Hell yeah! Once people see his pretty face on the TV he will get love calls nonstop,” Maria agrees and she gets so happy to hear he got a role that she has to get up from her seat to give Hannah a hug. “Give him a kiss from me.”

Hannah keeps smiling happily, ignoring when Maria asks if she has tried the delicious salad in the other room – the other ladies are currently eating the yummy food – and Hannah heads back to film before anyone have gotten the time to tell her to eat something. She is starving and she wants to finish these last scenes so she can try that chicken salad.

The moment she finishes the scene with Chanyeol, she goes to change clothes to do the very last scene in the bedroom and on the way to the set she stops by to get a forkful of salad in , almost crying when tasting the yummy food.

“Hurry up so you can eat it,” Carolina jokes with her, telling her to work her magic first. Hannah just grimaces, because EXO members are still sitting there, so it is awkward to hear her member tell her to work her magic. Hannah’s next scene is for the ending, when she is getting ready to leave the bedroom and looks out the window, no one standing there. It goes fast to finish that, and the moment it is done she claps her hands to the staff for their hard work while jogging out of the room to get some food.

She ignores the laughter from everyone who sees she is in a hurry to go get something to eat. It is fun to see, especially for the ladies who hears from Kai that Hannah half an hour ago had said she isn’t hungry when they had asked. Hannah is standing in the other room that is filled with food for everyone, standing with a plate that she has filled with chicken salad and when a making-of camera-man enters she gets this caught face expression and turns her back towards him, giggling.

“I’m sorry, I’m hungry,” she apologizes and covers her chewing mouth behind her hand when glancing to the camera-man. Her eyes are smiling. “Everyone were eating on the set while I was filming, my stomach was growling so much in the end… It’s really good.”

Emelia comes inside the room to get something to munch on, laughing when seeing Hannah trying to finally get something to eat.

5 Pieces gets ready in their next outfits, the set being prepared too and EXO staying a little longer even in Chanyeol is done with his scenes, just to show this SM family support. Hannah avoids sitting and chatting with them, while her members do it happily. Hannah takes the time to get ready for the next scene and when waiting to start she practices on her own too. 5 Pieces does a group dance for the music video next, after doing that they take a picture with the EXO members as in thanking them for coming and also for Chanyeol who helped out in the video, and the girls continues with solo shots for the video filming after that and EXO takes a leave. Hannah is up first for the solo filming, doing her thing while having Maria and Julia on the side watching her, giving her advice as they are monitoring her shooting well.

Maria then disappears, so when Hannah is done with her solo shooting, she finds some of the others sitting in another room and watching Running Man on TV. Hannah opens wide and asks if she has missed much, automatically sitting down to join them. Maria is fast to start talking, explaining this episode of Running Man and some of the staff helping out too. Running Man is always fun, even Emelia comes to sit down in the room. They forget all about the filming now, just watching the variety show.

It’s already getting late. Half the day was spent filming outdoor, most of half the day probably, and then they went to film indoors, where they have been now for a while. When Running Man ends, Hannah watches a little of Julia’s solo shooting before getting a ride home to go straight to bed, getting some hours sleep. Just as the other members got some sleep earlier in the day, this is Hannah’s turn. She then has to return to continue filming with everyone else.

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

Tuesday morning, Hannah has left the music video filming that is on day four now, put on a wig in a brown colour – a little darker than how her hair was before she went back to blonde – and all ready to appear on the Korean news program. She had been invited to come and talk out a little about her book, and it has taken over three weeks before agreeing to it. The two hosts of the program is a woman and a man and they both says they are fans of 5 Pieces, the woman reveals she has read the book and is a fan of that too; easily said they make it a comfortable environment for Hannah who is nervous. Nervously, she embraces the questions and answers as she has practiced and as she feels like.

Two sofas have been put up for the book talk. Hannah gets to sit alone while the two hosts sit on the other sofa, practicing first before starting the live program.

“Today’s topic is the hottest idol of 2012; 5 Pieces’ Hannah. Going from a singer to a song-writer, to an actress and now to an author, she is making the biggest headlines of the year mostly because of her endless talents. On July 28, the book ‘Joe – Under Seoul’s Streets’ was released here in Korea, and it is the best selling book seven weeks in a row, also the book of the month for August. Let’s welcome, Hannah!” the woman says for introduction and they clap their hands as the camera films Hannah.

“Hello everyone, I’m 5 Pieces’ Hannah,” Hannah greets kindly and then smiles at the hosts.

“I am personally one of the biggest fans of ‘Joe’ I must admit, and I am sure that everyone is curious of if you will release more books,” the female host starts off saying. “How many books will you release?”

“There will be more books, but I have no idea of how many. We haven’t decided anything about when the next book will be released either, but … hopefully it will come out sometime next year. We are planning on that,” Hannah answers, being in this informing-mood.

“But I am quite impressed,” the male host starts to say, “you have been known as 5 Pieces’ Hannah for the past four years, and now in 2012 you have showed great acting in the drama ‘Midnight Dream’, you wrote the lyrics and performed [I CRY] that has been voted as the best song of the year, and you have shockingly become the author of an amazing book – it seems like there is nothing you can’t do. How do you keep up with everything?”

“I take everything as it comes,” Hannah laughs for answer. “No, but … singing is part of my daily life. I am part of 5 Pieces and I have some solo activities too, so there are moments when I want to do something different. Writing is a huge hobby of mine and acting is probably one of the funniest challenges I have tried. This year I have been … if I get the chance, I take it.”

“That sounds great,” the female host both sounds and looks like she is going to fly to heaven if she gets just a little happier. It is the male host who asks the next question though; “The characters in ‘Joe – Under Seoul’s Streets’ are very interesting and outstanding. How did you come up with them? Especially the character Joe, how did you come up with the details of how she has lived?”

“Joe was a lot of things before she became the Joe you know from the book,” Hannah starts to answer. “The absolutely very first scene I wrote of Joe is… it is actually in the book, a flashback of a memory where she is walking in waist high snow in a forest, confused, cold … It was when writing that I came up with what kind of background Joe would have; a difficult past.” Hannah smiles when seeing how deeply interested the two hosts’ looks to be. He asks her again how she comes up with all of the interesting characters and she keeps talking. “I like challenges when writing; try things I haven’t written before. I like to play with the characters, to put them in situations and I think of how things turn out differently depending on their reactions and choices. Making a character interesting for my self is easy, while making readers understand and find it interesting too … that is very difficult. So I’m happy to hear you think they were interesting. But … yeah, I just need to let each character have his own story. Otherwise I can’t write about them. I make out full stories about them, playing around with their past, future, personalities and I change a lot of things before deciding of the final. It’s fun for me, so … yes.”

She ends with her innocent smile towards them, and she keeps smiling though it is a different smile when she hears what they mention next. The next question is probably the biggest reason why SM told her to come here.

“There have been a lot of bad rumours and headlines about who is the actual author of ‘Joe’. Some people have stepped forward saying they were paid to write the book, others say they were the ones coming up with the whole story. You have been very quiet to the media about this,” the female host mentions.

“I just … I have a lot yet at the same time absolutely nothing to say about it,” Hannah answers and shrugs her shoulders.

“First, what was your reaction?”

“At first it hurt me. Like … I couldn’t understand the reason to why people would say things like that. Then when it didn’t stop I got frustrated and angry. Just that different people have said familiar things, I think logical people will realise it doesn’t make sense…”

“So just to clear everything; you wrote ‘Joe’?” the female host asks, and Hannah knows by the tone that she just wants Hannah to personally confirm it now after all these rumours.

“I wrote Joe. I spent years coming up with ideas for it as a hobby. I didn’t meet new people to get help with the story or characters, and not did I let anyone write it for me. If I did that, it wouldn’t be a point in saying it is my book. I wrote it and came up with the scenes, my members helped out a little with comments and such,” Hannah answers. “But all those rumours, I don’t care, because people seem to love the book and just that I love.”

“You mentioned that your members have helped out a little. I think we could really feel the love in 5 Pieces when your members stepped up for you when this woman threatened you on twitter.”

Hannah smiles by the memory, looking extremely happy remembering that. “They got angry,” she honestly answers. “My members know how much writing means to me, since they have been next to me when I have been writing. They have seen me not wanting to show them what I have been writing but I have still asked them for help at times, and they knew how excited and deeply nervous I was to release the book.” She takes a few seconds pause from talking as out of nowhere she starts to get teary. She holds it in; hoping people didn’t really notice it. “So they stood up for me because they knew how much it meant for me. I’m grateful for that.”

“The other members in 5 Pieces had seen all the hard work you had put into writing ‘Joe’ that they couldn’t take it to hear people coming out accusing you to be a fraud,” the male host understands.

They quickly wraps up after that; them thanking Hannah so much for coming and Hannah thanking for being invited. It’s the morning news and once it ends, Hannah heads back to the music video filming. she embraces her members the first thing she does, and Maria maybe tries to keep a poker face, but Hannah can see she saw the news. All of them had watched it. They pretend they didn’t, heading straight to continue filming – Hannah transforming into blonde again – but Carolina just is the worst at hiding things that she even gives Hannah a hug and says she spoke so well on the news and that she looked great.

The last two days of their music video filming of [-Erase You-] and [Daze] – day four and five – is spent day and night working  to not go over the time, because the day after finish the filming the ladies appears on their second comeback photo shoot for a magazine. This time it is Nylon and they have a ‘fighters return’ concept. 5 Pieces looking hot in smoking pictures; having their charismatic style as fighters. It is amazing, this concept.

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

“I can’t wait for Halloween,” Maria laughs happily, looking at herself in the reflection on her cell phone.

5 Pieces is nearing the airport, and all five of them are hiding their new hair. Hannah is wearing the same wig that she had worn on the news program; Maria wanted to make fans go crazy by appearing in a short blonde wig so she is excited about that; Emelia has a black wig that is about the same length as her normal hair; Carolina loves the idea of having fun with fans that she has taken on a shoulder long wig – about her normal hair length – that is in some blue-gray colour and is hilarious to see if you know it is a wig but probably looks surprisingly cool for a stranger to see; and Julia has just put on a normal wig to hide her new hairstyle. But still they try to be a little casual about the wigs. Hannah has put on a red cap – surprisingly she found a cap in her wardrobe among the huge pile of hats – and she is wearing the comfortable denim zip jacket to a several sizes too big white print t-shirt that she bought years ago but never wore (because she never used to wear white before), so the t-shirt is going down below her so she is able to wear leggings to it and of course a pair of sneakers. Hannah got no idea of how she found this outfit in her own wardrobe, but she knows it is comfortable and after spending a whole week with photo shoots and music videos filming, she needs comfortable.

*I’m so excited! And I just can’t hide it!* Maria is loudly singing, waving her hands in the air and she laughs. Definitely she is excited to head to Indonesia for SM Town’s concert.

Hannah focuses on her self when they reach the airport. Her sleeves on the jacket are too long, so her hands aren’t visible and she hides her eyes behind a pair of glasses. People are there to take pictures of them but Hannah is just not friendly to take pictures. She has a six hour long flight in front of her and she wants to sleep on it. Or continue reading the book City of Ashes. Maybe do both.

“I’m going to read book two of ‘Joe’,” Emelia says out of nowhere when the girls are taking their seats on the plane. Hannah gives out a sudden laugh.

“You are so not!”

Emelia will sit two seats away from Hannah, so the two girls are talking now before everyone has taken their seats on the plane. “I will hack in on your laptop, seriously, Hannah. You have said it is done, and I will read it.”

Hannah just grimaces at her when taking her seat, smiling because joining them on the plane is the gorgeous girls of SNSD. Hannah is fast up on her feet again, reaching out her hand first for Sunny, then for Tiffany and then for Yoona. “You sitting with me, Deer?”

“I’m sitting with you, Bunny!” Yoona cheers and gives her a hug when taking the seat by Hannah. They both can hear Sunny say something about that it will not be a quiet ride with those two sitting next to each other, and half of the ride – it is true. Hannah is so damn tired, and it is good for her that Yoona is too because after chatting nonstop for quite some time, they both fall asleep.

So when reaching Indonesia after six hours long flight, Hannah is again hiding under the cap and glasses and clothes and she walks close to the backs she recognizes – especially Maria. Even on the ride to the concert rehearsal, Hannah hasn’t woken up. Maria can’t stop making fun of that, saying she has never seen Hannah sleep open as much as she has done lately. Hannah doesn’t even react on that, hiding behind her sunglasses. And the funny thing is that Julia keeps sleeping too.

“Ya, we are supposed to have so much fun!” Maria shouts loudly and happily, laughing by herself in the excitement.

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

Headline 16th: 5 Pieces’ Seen Filming New Music Video On Seoul’s Streets!

 

Headline 17th: Book Of The Week ‘Joe – Under Seoul’s Streets’ 7th Consecutive Week

 

Headline 18th: 5 Pieces’ Hannah Visit News Program To Talk About Her Book

Headline 18th: Hannah Wins Over The Accuses To Being A Fraud

 

Headline 19th: 5 Pieces’ Sends Congratulations To U-Kiss’ Comeback + FT Island Winning On M Countdown

Headline 19th: ‘Life of Pieces’ Airs Another Crazy Episode

Headline 19th: EM Impresses With Her Japanese At 5P PV Filming & Drama Filming In Latest ‘Life of Pieces’

Headline 19th: Idols & 5 Pieces Wishing Hannah A Happy Birthday + Book Debut In Episode 3

 

Headline 21st: 5 Pieces Shocks Fans By Appearing At Airport With New Hairstyles