Chapter 70

Youngest of Pieces - [Black & White] (7)

Hannah lowers her head in a greeting when walking by a room of two female groups, and she hurries her steps in hope to not have to stop and exchange some polite and awkward phrases. Just a few steps later she sees two white dressed rookies standing outside another room, bowing politely towards Hannah the moment they see her. Awkwardness is there too, but Hannah smiles at these two. EXO’s Xiumin and Chanyeol smiles back at her and before any actual words can be said, Kris comes out from the room, talking to s before he notices Hannah and he bows deeply in a greeting. Being a senior is weird and Hannah greets him back in habit, not knowing what else to do even if she is the senior, and to skip the awkwardness she asks them if Kai is somewhere around.

The tallest of them turns back inside the room while Xiumin quietly says that he knows Kai is in there, and the tall Kris gives out a call inside the room, waving his hand before he turns back to say he can see the requested person as well as hear him laugh. Hannah walks up to the door to peek inside too because she could hear Taemin’s voice and she smiles and bows when the many boys in the room starts to bow politely to her.

She see Kai walking towards them – Kris had after all called for him – and he smiles to Hannah after that he too has greeted her with a polite bow and Hannah shows the movie case in her hand that makes him shine up when finally reaching up to her.

“Did you watch it? What did you think?” he wonders when taking the movie case for Billy Elliot that he gave her last week, and he looks really excited to hear what she has to say about it.

“It’s good,” Hannah answers and she almost laughs over the foolish face-expression he has. “I even watched it two times.”

Hannah watches movies on airplanes when she is bored. And she had done that with this movie too, because she doesn’t know if Kai will be disappointed if it takes time for her to watch it, so when the group went to Japan back and forth last Saturday she watched it, and she hasn’t really thought much about it since – which is the reason she is giving it to him now and not earlier this week. Though she knows his face-expression wants to hear more, Hannah just wonders if she should say her true wonder about why he wanted her to watch the movie… Lucky her; Taemin who also is in the crowded room of EXO’s twelve members and stylists, asks Hannah if she is nervous about her [I CRY] performance and she gives him this shocked O-shaped mouth expression.

“Don’t bring that up!” she whines and totally ignores that Kai’s hoarse laugh is heard. She glares at Taemin who laughs too when coming up to them.

“Hannah gets super nervous before a solo performance, which is hilarious to watch from the side,” Taemin informs Kai.

“Oh my god, why are you telling him that?” Hannah whines and pushes Taemin on the side before she gives Kai a glance while pouting, “Great movie. Thank you for letting me borrow it.” She then gives Taemin an upset glare and she ignores his smile and walks out the room. Taemin knows she isn’t angry or anything, just upset because now she will get nervous about her performance while she had been trying to not think so much about it (he had ruined her plan of not getting nervous) and he gets to explain that for Kai who asks if she really got upset over that.

Hannah meets Jonghyun in the corridor and she is pouting badly when stomping down the corridor until he is in front of her, blocking her way.

“Taemin and his twin are making fun of me,” Hannah pouts. She had realised on her way out the room that Taemin and Kai had been looking like twins next to each other, smiling at her.

“For what?” Jonghyun gives her a crooked smile.

“Because I get nervous,” Hannah pouts like a child. “Are you all sitting and laughing at me when I am performing or something?”

Jonghyun laughs and puts his arms around her, not caring at all that they are in a corridor with people further down. He turns her around to walk with his arm around her. “Want me to beat them up for you?” he asks and she gives a laugh, hitting her hand lightly on his stomach and Jonghyun laughs brightly before they reaches EXO’s room again and he gets a serious face-expression. “Who dares to make fun of Hannah? Step up and face the consequences!” Jonghyun is calling out and waves his hand in search for Taemin; making the juniors in the room both bow and laugh at his presence and joke, because everyone can hear that he isn’t serious. Taemin hurries over, holding on to Kai’s hand to make him come too and the two of them stands next to each other with arms up in the air and heads down, making everyone burst out laughing over their punishment and Hannah slinks out under Jonghyun’s arm to lean against the door, laughing with everyone else over Jonghyun commanding the younger two.

Hannah stays with them for a while before she has to go prepare for her performance. The last fifteen minutes waiting for her [I CRY] performance to begin, Hannah is freaking out. She keeps playing the practice video on her camera, checking to make sure she will remember it. Her biggest problem is that she is going to play the piano today, live. Mistakes will be mistakes but she does not want to totally mess up. Kyung Ho is texting her, making her laugh by saying he has to go to the bathroom so he wonders if he can do that before it is her turn, and she is really happy that he is in a good mood. The others in the room – the few there – just want to look at the show and Hannah is now getting too nervous for that, but they still are cheering her on when her time is finally coming. Hannah can just imagine how it will look like, thinking of when she was up for the opening performance and her stomach as always when performing this song filled with butterflies.

The introduction video for Hannah’s performance starts to play.

Maria is sitting with the others and she is fast to reach over to hit each member on the leg – including leaning forward in a hopeless try to grab either Super junior or DBSK’s attention – to tell them it is Hannah’s turn now.

The video is revealing Hannah, casually dressed, walking through a corridor. It is at SM Entertainment, which viewers can guess, and the camera is filming Hannah from the front while she is walking. Walking out behind the camera, passing Hannah while greeting are EXO’s Luhan and Sehun – it was just in hope to make it obvious it is at SM Entertainment and also to kind of promote EXO in the middle – before Hannah stops by a door; the camera zooms in on her when she gives a light knock and she opens the door with her face close to it to peek inside. Inside the room, the camera films the profile-side of someone playing on a piano; SHINee’s Taemin. Fans are cheering when seeing him, just as they had cheered when first seeing Hannah, and when the two EXO members made an appearance. But there is still a louder cheer when Hannah and Taemin appear together, because it hints of what it coming next.

Taemin looks up when seeing her and the smile they both give each other for greeting makes the hall break out in cheers. Emelia is laughing though, thinking it looks so weird and awkward in the video, but others seem to like it.

In the video, Hannah sits down next to Taemin and simply says “I need your help”, to which he asks what she wants help with. “I want to play the piano on Gayo Daejun. Could you teach me?” Fans are cheering loudly by the face-expressions and their words, and Hannah says she wants to learn something easy and the video fades away with Taemin starting to play really well on the piano, as if he is going to teach her how to play that and maybe fans are tricked, because they are screaming out so bad when the stage shines up to reveal Hannah sitting by a piano.

“Ooh, she looks so beautiful,” Maria whispers with her hands together in front of her chin, looking like a big admire. She really loves to hear and see Hannah perform [I CRY], just because she knows it is a song that means so much for Hannah and to see how amazingly great she performs it every time and how beautiful she is makes Maria feel like a proud friend.

Hannah takes a deep breath sitting by the piano, placing her fingers right, and in the audience, Maria gives a nod as if telling her she is doing well even if it hasn’t started yet. They all starts to laugh when Hannah starts to play probably the easiest song to play on the piano – [Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star] – and she is so freaking cute sitting there by the piano, all beautiful and everyone had prepared for the saddest performance and she starts to make everyone laugh. The short funny piano performance changes as Hannah start to play another tune and the cheer starts again when everyone recognizes it as the piano version of [I CRY].

“She is doing well, she is doing well!” Maria looks so proud, telling the other members that though also are looking impressed, none of them look like a mother the way Maria is doing.

The camera zooms in on Hannah’s profile, showing how focused she is on playing and Emelia is smiling, whispering to Julia that all the practice paid off. The ladies know how nervous Hannah is to perform the song, no matter how many times she has performed it before, and Hannah loves the sound of the piano so much that she has even stayed up at night to practice it just because when she for the first time in her life will play a song on the piano, she doesn’t want to mess it up. Carolina had stayed up two hours extra just to practice with Hannah the other night, and then Hannah hadn’t been able to sleep after that because her mind was thinking too much about the piano.

And now she is playing the piano. She is sitting there, her fingers awkwardly playing but the camera doesn’t focus on her small fingers but on her pretty concentrated face, how she is looking down and trying to not lean forward but sitting with a straight back and she is looking really beautiful. She looks like a blonde goddess; exactly what fans are saying she is.

Carolina is a fool and is even sitting with her cell phone to film, though Maria sitting next to her makes it rather impossible because Maria was moving her hands too much at first. DBSK’s Yunho glances over at where 5 Pieces is sitting, smiling when seeing how his juniors are watching their member perform.

Hannah plays everything she has learnt from [I CRY], and when she is done she finishes off pressing the keys lightly, the melody fading away. She picks up the microphone, getting up on her feet and while walking away from the piano the audio music starts to play and Hannah begins the song with a low *mmm* before she stops at the centre to perform her song. It looks beautiful with Hannah simply dressed in beige with the three walls of the stage changing colours and patterns softly and it really makes the small girl on the stage have her voice be on the focus.

All until the first chorus, it is like the normal song, which isn’t long at all, instead of starting the third verse she jumps to the fourth verse but first she gives out a strong *Oh~* that receives cheers. It is a different remix, a remix with a lot of more adlibs and Hannah’s voice is just really beautiful to this song. It is the same emotion that the song always has beside from that it is more adlibs that makes it feel stronger, as if her soft voice before reached your heart and now her strong voice make your whole body start to shake because it reaches your whole body and not just your heart. It’s amazing, and the camera captures several in the audience – idols – just sitting and watching like glued and the ladies of 5 Pieces are sitting among them. Maria doesn’t move now. With Hannah signing, you just can’t move, you are glued to watch and listen without moving a single limb. Key had joked with Jonghyun, they watching from backstage, telling him to stop drooling, but Jonghyun doesn’t drool. It’s not that kind of hotness on the stage now. She looks totally stunning, and she sounds amazing, but Jonghyun just watches with a hint of this proud that her members are feeling, that he knows she is doing so well and he can tell her that later.

And Jonghyun can also see that she is wearing two rings on the same finger – one ring that all members in 5 Pieces wear, and one that he gave her. They have both agreed on that they don’t have to wear it, as long as they have it on them. Jonghyun has had it on his finger, as a necklace, bracelet, in his pockets and even on a chain around his ankle put in his sock; everything to always wear it even if it doesn’t fit the concept. Hannah rarely gets to wear rings with the past concepts on stage, but now when she is singing a ballad, she is wearing it. No one ever thinks to think much about that ring on her finger, knowing one of them is from 5 Pieces, but just that ring that he has given her is never questioned. It is a great thing, but Jonghyun still think it would feel good if people did take notice of it.

The next verse starts off with *Ahh~~*, longer and stronger than the first adlib on the verse before, and she keeps singing this verse, followed by the chorus. She continues to perform with the beautiful background with the audience quietly listening to the song.

*The street I walk is endless

I have to end it*

[CHORUS] *I cry~

(These tears falling down my cheeks)

True sadness, I cry

(I cry) I keep crying~~

(These feelings inside my chest)

True feelings, I cry

(I cry) I can’t stop these tears~~

These words comes from my heart

True words, I cry*

*Woa~~~ Ooh~~*

She is even bending her back and knees a little during that last chorus to sing out the loud adlibs, the audience cheering out when her voice doesn’t even waver a single bit and when she comes to the * Woa~~~ Ooh~~* part she goes long and high and her voice rises surprisingly well that her members stands up for her, shouting out. The last tones are then made and she quietly finishes off the song with a silent audience that the moment she is done will start to roar.

*One last look

I cry, I cry*

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

The staff is leading Hannah to take a seat among the others. She is above the two rows of seats that have been prepared for the idols, fans sitting as audience around and some doesn’t care about the current performance while seeing Hannah enter. The girl is looking confused while the three staff members are telling her to stop and then tell her to walk and then stop again and then say there are no seats and whoa, she is so confused of what to do and in the middle of standing there she is also trying to look at the on-going performance. The interest for that drops fast though and she tries to catch what the staff is telling her instead.

After a long time she finally gets to go sit down next to her members. Maria stands up the moment she sees Hannah and she stretches over Carolina to give Hannah a hug, saying she was amazing and the usual, not caring at all that Hannah gets embarrassed and shy. The girl sits down, glancing towards the stage while listening to her members telling she did well and she grimaces at them.

“Don’t talk about it. It’s over now,” she says and waves her hand by her ears. Carolina laughs next to her and when Hannah looks at the stage again she asks the members who is performing.

“A Pink,” Carolina is fast to answer, and she starts to sing along to the song.

Hannah recognizes the group name, but she doesn’t recognize the song a single bit. The pink outfits remind her of SNSD’s [Hoot] though and she wonders if it was this group that said they want to be the second SNSD. While thinking of that the song manages to end and Hannah starts to cheer instead when G.NA’s [2Hot] performance is starting. Automatically she starts to move either her head or her shoulders while watching the performance and during the chorus she is singing along.

While the MCs are talking afterwards she is listening to her members talking, not really saying anything interesting but the group tends to talk about uninteresting things from time to time. Though the members say she missed EXO’s performance, Hannah smiles and says she saw it backstage – of course she watched it backstage, what else would she have done while waiting to get up to sit with the others? Well, beside from changing clothes and get ready.

The group slowly stops talking because the next performance has started and Hannah is glancing on her cell phone instead, texting to Kyung Ho who just texted her to say he has to go to bed; his parents have come home, their night ended with a fight. Carolina nudges her uncomfortably on the side when the next performance is starting and Hannah looks up, confused of what is going on at first before she realises it is the SM 7 Performance starting, and she leans forward along with the other members to see better. Hannah is just staring uncontrollably while watching, amazed by her senior and juniors, though she cannot hold a smile when a close-up for Yunho’s solo dance comes – for some reason just his close-up made her smile. They all look cool in the video and since it is a pre-recorded performance the SM 7 are on the stage, dancing not with their full hearts, beside from Kai who like always is doing his best. Around Taemin’s solo dance in the beginning, some noise had come from the seats above the girls, causing Hannah to flinsh while Maria and Julia had both turned around to see who it was but it was nothing more than that and the girls continues to watch the rest of the performance. It is a screen almost right in front of the girls, a small TV-screen, so they can watch the actual show from there while glancing at the stage at the same time. SM surely must have some of the best dancers, Hannah thinks while watching them.

Right away when it ends, 4 Minute’s stage is starting. Hannah is soundlessly clapping her hands over SM 7 Performance, glancing at her members all leaning back in their seats and she turns around to see who Carolina turns around to talk to. The first person Hannah sees sitting behind Julia and Maria is Simon D, but sitting behind Carolina and Hannah and more to the left is SHINee and three members of EXO. It had been Key, Onew and Jonghyun that had shouted out during Taemin’s part that made Hannah flinch. Hannah stumbles up on her feet, the chair being in the way, and she stands at the back to reach up to the floor where the boys are sitting. She holds her hands on the edge of the second floor’s table, the table going up to her neck and she smiles up at Jonghyun who had motioned for her to come.

“Kyung Ho has texted me,” Jonghyun tells her with a smile and takes up his cell phone to show the text. “He wrote that my performance was the best because I can walk on walls,” he says when showing her the cute text message for her. Hannah laughs and Jonghyun shows the message to Onew who is curiously sitting next to him.

“He saw this too,” Hannah tells Jonghyun and lifts up her wrist where she still has the Pikachu key-chain on a bracelet. She will have to take it off for the performance later. Jonghyun touches the key-chain, though his eyes are on her rings, and he smiles while she tells him and Onew that Kyung Ho won’t watch 5 Pieces’ performance because he has to sleep.

“Is he coming for New Year?” Onew wonders but Hannah shakes her head sadly.

“I told him he could come to M Countdown next week, so we’ll see about that,” Hannah answers sadly.

She smiles at them and lowers her head for Simon D before sitting back down, sitting there quietly for a few minutes, trying to hold in a yawn when the MCs are talking again. She hears FT Island being introduced, not giving any reaction at all beside from glancing at her members before she looks at the TV-screen to see the broadcast. Without changing her face-expression she lip-synchs to the song and at times moves her head too, looking pretty bored but when Afterschool performs after, she looks totally uninterested and listens to Maria talking instead. Carolina is sitting between them and she is singing along to the song like usually. Hannah looks over at her right too, giving a bow to a senior moving seat and she looks up a little too to see Tao looking pretty bored with D.O sitting with his big eyes there. She looks more to her right when seeing Jonghyun lean forward and she is turning as far as she can before she turns around to look from the left instead as it seemed impossible to get around further and he is reaching his cell phone over for her to look. He has written a message, and maybe he found it better to show it to her than to send it to her, she doesn’t know but the message asks if she is going with the others to the party afterwards.

All she does is nodding when looking up at him, mouthing if he isn’t going. Some of the idols are going on a party after the Gayo Daejun, and last time Hannah heard about it SHINee was also going, but now when she asks Jonghyun is shaking his head for answer and he starts to write on his cell phone again before showing her a new message that says FT Island is going to be there too. It’s not a question and before Hannah can answer, Maria turns around in her seat to see what they are talking about. Key leans forward too, resting his shoulder next to Jonghyun and Maria gets up on her feet to talk without having to scream.

“Why aren’t you going?” Maria sounds surprised, and she points at Key. “You promised me we would dance.”

“Change of plans, but I’ll do it on New Year instead,” Key answers while Jonghyun says to Hannah that he doesn’t want her to go without him, if Honggi is going to be there. Maria sighs when hearing those words.

“We are going there to have fun. Minhwan is going to see which one of us can take the most shots, and I won’t let Hannah skip to be part of that. Besides, there are not just we who will be there so relax,” Maria tells him and pats him on the arm. “Trust me, I’ll watch over our baby.”

Hannah doesn’t say a single thing. She doesn’t really think Jonghyun has anything to worry about because Honggi doesn’t even talk to her, and though she doesn’t have time to tell him that now she can say it later. He still doesn’t look satisfied when they drop the subject, but Hannah says she will talk to him (Jonghyun) later about it.

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

An unknown instrumental starts to play at SBS Gayo Daejun for 5 Pieces performance. No one has any idea of what song it could be because it not familiar to any dance track at all, and most fans of the group doesn’t find it familiar from a ballad or R&B track either. That doesn’t stop everyone to scream like crazy when a voice, loudly sings out angrily above music and cheers, like just one voice above everyone else;

*Again! Again today you were late

I had waited! Waited so long for you!

Again! Again today you left me!

You left me just like that?*

For the first tone, the lights all turned to spot Carolina standing on the main stage, standing on one of the lifts that go up about two-three meters. The lights are only showing her, and no one is disappointed about that because Carolina is really showing a great voice when singing live. A lot of people in the audience might recognize the song, but some recognizes it as 5 Pieces song [SWITCH] that they performed back in January. Though you maybe don’t recognize the tough pop song in the strong vocal remix, you definitely won’t be disappointed because the vocals are still great.

Julia appears on another lift, a little lower than Carolina, singing the next part while standing turned a little to the side.

*I won’t! Won’t love you again!

Your dissatisfaction of me!

[Hannah] I saw right through your behaviour, ha!

You never treated me right!*

The spotlights shone up Hannah standing more on the side of the stage than the other two, not near the lifts at all. She is wearing a pair of patterned leggings, wedged boots and a long fitting coat with a wide elasticized belt. The leggings do not fit with the vocal remix, but it is just the first song they are performing. Both Maria and Emelia get visible for the next part, Maria standing in the middle of the lifts and Emelia is standing on the other side of the stage than Hannah.

[CHORUS1, Maria] *I am so disappointed!!

Of your actions, your words

Even your expression

I am so disappointed, oh!*

[CHORUS2, Carolina] *And now I will SWITCH (switch, switch)

I will SWITCH (switch, switch)

To someone who will love me

To someone who can prove it

He will only have his eyes on me

Now I will SWITCH*

Carolina sings the chorus, the other ladies singing in the background and her voice is really good to the music and the audience keeps cheering. This is not just basic vocal singing, this is pure strong singing and it is disappointment and anger in their voices because that is what the song is supposed to message. They have the attitude too, singing in the song about a man who can’t love them enough so they will simply switch to someone better. It isn’t really a soft ballad but rather it has some background music that gives off the melody of attitude and with the girls rough strong singing it is definitely having some of this Afro-American attitude and the audience seems to strongly like it, which gives Hannah more confidence. The moment Maria starts to sing this next part, all of them are starting to walk and Hannah heads out to the weirdly shaped stage, shaped with two holes for fans to be and she walks near the first hole, smiling to one of the fans jumping.

[Maria] *Again today you were late, ha!

I had waited so long for you

Again today you left me

You left me just like that?*

[Julia] *I will love someone else

Someone who loves me back

[Emelia] The right behaviour of taking my heart

You never learnt it right*

Hannah is nodding during Julia’s part, looking out over the audience and slightly moving her body to the rhythm of the song and when her time is coming she stomps down her foot to sing through the microphone, the audience near her screaming out when seeing how much she takes in.

[CHORUS1, Hannah] *I am so disappointed, oh~

Of your actions, your words

Even your expression

[Carolina] I am so~o~o~*

[CHORUS2, 5 Pieces] *And now I will SWITCH (switch, switch)

I will SWITCH (switch, switch)

To someone who will love me

To someone who can prove it

He will only have his eyes on me*

[5 Pieces] *No, no, no, no, no

[Carolina] To someone who will love me!

To someone who can prove it, baby!*

This part of the remix is a favourite of Hannah’s. During the *no, no, no* part the girls starts to either jump on the spot or stomp, showing frustration through their bodies and the whole audience starts to scream out when Carolina is like screaming out her part in a rough voice, and the whole stage could probably fall apart if it wasn’t well built and even the idols on the side are standing up, cheering. Maria’s part next is soft, like a whisper in the crazy vocal remix and Hannah’s after is the same as Carolina’s part, beside from that Hannah’s voice isn’t as loud but the roughness in her voice comes straight from that it is almost hurting, but it sounds amazing and she keeps moving her body while doing it, even jumping a few times as if she wants to give in more power to her voice by jumping.

[Maria] *Tell- me~~*

[Hannah] *I saw that I will SWITCH now baby!

To someone who will love me!

To someone who can prove it, baby!*

[Maria] *He will only have his eyes on me~

Now I will SWITCH*

And the song comes to an end, ending with 5 Pieces spread out over the whole stage and the spotlights are put on Emelia, standing in the centre of the stage.

[Emelia] *Listen to me, ha

We are Black & White*

The moment she says the last part, it feels like an opening for a concert the way people are screaming and dancers are appearing on the stage, filling out a little of the space while music for [Black & White] starts to play. Everyone on the stage starts to move to the music, moving along to the music as they always do for this part, beside from that 5 Pieces is spread out on the stage instead of standing in their usual formation. It’s like the whole stage has become the place of their formation, and the audience seems to love it.

Maria starts to sing her part, the loud screaming from fans when Maria’s captain entrance comes is really amazingly great and Maria is smirking at the camera zooming in on her because this feeling, is just the best. The audience is cheering them on, chanting and screaming and the girls are just enjoying and loving the stage while doing what they have practiced.

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++