Chapter 42

Youngest of Pieces - [Black & White] (7)

Actor and model Kwon Hyunsuk (23), who in 2012 is mostly known for being part of the popular drama Midnight Dream and for several spreads in popular magazines, is driving his car and looking uncontrollably nervous. He is lightly talking embarrassingly about how worried and nervous he is, and his car is filled with cameras and there is also a camera-man sitting next to him.

“I wonder who she is…” he wonders.

His black hair has been styled for the photo shoot he had earlier in the day; half of the hair is in a pony tail to keep the hair away from his face and his pale skin with dark eyeliner makes him look like a rock artist from Japan. His body is tall and thin and he is wearing a black/gray/white coloured scarf wrapped around his neck to a black belted knit cardigan and a pair of jeans, the whole outfit shows off his long body when he gets out of the car.

The camera team for ‘We Got Married’ follows him up the hill, and he waits where he is told to wait by a park bench. He walks around a few meters at first out of nervousness before sitting down. He laughs awkwardly for sitting there by himself with so many cameras around him and he takes up his cell phone to try gets help with this nervousness.

Hyung!” a happy and extremely bright voice answers the call after some long nervous signals.

“Honggi-ah,” Hyunsuk sounds helpless, giving a chuckle. It’s FT Island’s Honggi he has given a call to. “Did you get my text?”

I got it! Congratulations, Hyung~ have you met yet?” Honggi sounds so happy and excited like he often does.

“No… I’m waiting now. But do you know who it could be? Has any idol said anything?” Hyunsuk wonders. He knows Honggi is the MC at M Countdown that is today, so if it is an idol who is currently promoting, Honggi should know.

I don’t know anything,” Honggi lies.

Truth is that the moment Honggi saw the text from Hyunsuk he had run over to 5 Pieces’ dressing-room where Maria was the only member not present as she was currently changing clothes, and he had informed Emelia (not trusting that the other ladies can be quiet from telling Maria) that Hyunsuk is part of the new WGM couple.

While sitting and waiting on the bench, Hyunsuk also calls the actor in his recent drama he is filming to ask for help of how to behave and just simple advice. Hyunsuk has prepared a bouquet, and he is still sitting on the bench when he hears that there is someone coming.

Maria is slowly walking up the hill. She is wearing a black turtleneck ribbed dress and a pair of Nordic-pattern leggings to a pair of sneakers. It’s chilly, but she looks stunning in the outfit and it would have been the perfect scene if she hadn’t been complaining of having the meeting up on the hill instead of below – she is the lazy leader of 5 Pieces. Even if she is wearing sneakers she still complains to have to walk up the hill. This morning at the saloon, she had gotten rid of the lilac and blue colours in her hair that she had done for their [Black & White] comeback, but since it is already their fifth week she has changed colour to brown and for today’s performance they had used spray to colour that extra lilac and blue shades that still now haven’t been washed away because she rushed from the schedule here.

“Ahh…” Maria breathes out, annoyed, but she has reached the top of the hill, finally and in front of her she can see a bench.

It’s an empty bench. In fact, there is only staff around and Maria grimaces in dislike when taking a seat on the bench. She complains again, this time that her mysterious husband is letting her wait for him outside in the cold; complaining about letting a lady wait. She is sitting there and waiting, sighing and wondering who her mysterious husband is to let her wait outdoor in the chilly November weather.

Maria doesn’t notice, but the cameras filming her all focuses on it; Hyunsuk coming up behind her. He had been hiding in the dark behind a tree, because his acting senior had suggested to him that women like romance and surprises. Quietly he walks up behind her, holding the bouquet of flowers in front of him with both hands, taking long breathes in and out to calm him self. It was impossible for him to not see who was walking up the hill, all the strong lamp lights from the staff was shining up the tall female idol. Though her hair is brown, her skin is light and she is taller than the staff, and just the way she walks makes him definitely know who it is. No one walks like 5 Pieces’ Maria.

Hyunsuk stops behind the bench, right behind Maria, and she doesn’t notice anything as she instead asks the staff about the time and asking if her manager misunderstood the time – she got no patience at all.

Maria looks to her right where the road is, and she is about to say something again when flowers out of absolutely nowhere is reached out over her shoulder. A super high and light alarming scream leaks out from her over the sight and she practically jumps away from the bench, continuing to run several meters to get a distance from the bench before she turns around with both hands to her chest and terrified face expression. Hyunsuk had gotten such a fright by her reaction that he had taken a step back and he looks so surprised at her.

“Oh!” Maria leans her head back a little when seeing who it is. She bows politely in a greeting, taking a step closer and he bows awkwardly back. “How can you scare me like that on our first meeting?”

“I- I didn’t mean to scare you,” Hyunsuk stutters and apologizes. He walks around the bench to reach out the flowers for her, and Maria accepts them with another bow. Maria reaches out her hand to shake his, not really knowing what else to do.

“Nice to meet you,” she greets him politely while they are shaking hands. “I’m 5 Pieces’ Princess Leader, Maria.”

Even on her own, she introduces herself like that and it makes Hyunsuk laugh a little quietly. “Nice to meet you too, I’m the actor Kwon Hyunsuk.”

Maria laughs behind the bouquet of flowers, looking to really like it. “My heart is still racing from being scared…” she admits. “But, you are my husband now, right?”

“I… guess,” he answers awkwardly.

Together they walk off the hill to go to a warmer place. Now when they have found their We Got Married couple, their marriage life is starting. Reaching the car, Hyunsuk is a gentleman by opening the passenger’s door for Maria to let her take a seat before he takes his own seat behind the wheel.

“Is it your car?” Maria asks, glancing around at the back seat to see what’s there.

When this will air, a clip from M Countdown of Maria sitting with her members will be shown. Before Maria had left to meet her mysterious husband, she and her members had been talking about different things like what she will have to look for in a husband. Emelia had told her “check his car. The car will say what he is like.” Maria hadn’t at that time thought of asking how a good husband’s car looks like, so she has no idea of if a clean car is good or bad.

“It’s my car, yes,” Hyunsuk answers. He seems nervous, glancing at where she is glancing.

“Oh… it’s neat,” Maria sounds impressed and she puts her hand to the backseat to lift up something. He has a jacket there and some plastic bags, but she just lifts the jacket up a little before sitting correctly and facing forward. “I like a guy who knows how to drive.”

“You don’t have a driving licence?”

“No. I don’t have time for that,” Maria answers while she keeps looking around in front of her. She looks up at him with a smile when he gets kind of offended by her words; as if he has a lot of time. “I don’t mean you aren’t busy, I just mean it’s difficult to get a driving licence when I am still learning the language.”

Hyunsuk nods and starts the engine, saying he understands that. After coming out on the road, he gives her a glance. “You know how I was in the same drama as Hannah…” he starts off.

“You were really cool there,” Maria says and turns her head to look at him with admiration. Hyunsuk was acting as one in the band with Hannah in Midnight Dream; he was the talented and quiet friend who secretly had a crush on her.

“Thank you,” he sounds nervous, “Did she say anything about me to you?”

Maria thinks about it, being quiet for so long that Hyunsuk says “ah, she didn’t talk about me…” and Maria laughs. “When Hannah said who was in the cast of the drama, I looked up your profile. Because as the leader I need to know who my members hang out with, and I read everything about you.”

“Really? You look up who they are with?” Hyunsuk sounds surprised.

“Of course!” Maria answers with a darker voice. “It is basic knowledge to lead my group. But I looked at your profile, and told Hannah you are handsome.” She sounds older talking the way she does now.

“She never said anything about me?”

She looks at him strangely. “Why? Why do you ask so much about Hannah? Do you like her?”

“No-”

“Why then? Does she know secrets of yours? Should I call her?”

“No, no, no,” Hyunsuk laughs over her fired questions; “I don’t mean like that. I’m curious if you have heard anything about me. If someone has said any good things.”

“Ah…” Maria seems to understand. “She said you play the piano well.” She smiles when seeing him smile by those words. “I like a guy who plays the piano; it’s romantic.”

“I’ll play for you sometime,” Hyunsuk says and Maria looks extremely happy, taking out her pinkie finger to ask if he promises that. He promises, laughing at her sudden cuteness and they do the promise with their pinkies.

“Have you dated a lot of women before?”

Hyunsuk almost chokes his tongue by her sudden question. Again when this will air, a flashback from M Countdown will pop up of 5 Pieces talking, remember? “Ask about his past girlfriends,” Julia had said and the others had thought it would be fun. People always get awkward and embarrassed when talking about the past.

“You are very straightforward,” Hyunsuk tells Maria, suddenly feeling very warm because she is looking straight at him after asking the question to see his reaction.

She looks happy by those words, as it isn’t the first time she has heard it. “No need to linger around a question I want an answer on. Is there a lot?”

Her strict and very straightforward words makes him swallow nervously, wondering if this is how their marriage will be like. You can clearly see how nervous he is, how he is holding on tight to the steering-wheel. “A few,” he answers, nervous but honest.

“A few that you dated for a long period?”

“Mm…”

“Don’t be so nervous!” Maria laughs, seeing how he keeps swallowing and she pats herself on her chest. “You can ask me things too.”

“Have you dated many guys?” he asks then, just asking the same question she had asked him.

“No,” Maria confidently answers and she crosses her arms over her chest, looking and sounding very comfortable. She smiles proudly when he doesn’t seem to believe her. “I have never dated before.”

“Really? Never? Not once?”

“Not once.”

“Have you liked someone then?”

Maria gives a weird smile. “I like a lot of guys. I just don’t date them. It’s called eye-candy.”

Hyunsuk bursts out laughing. When filming the drama with Hannah, he had also heard her say ‘eye-candy’ and he had gotten a very confusing explanation of what it means from her, and he isn’t really sure what it actually means. Since he isn’t really sure, he asks her what it means and Maria hits her hands together dramatically. She does a lot of hand motions when talking.

“You don’t know eye-candy?” she asks shocked. “OMG, it’s like basic knowledge here. It is like watching someone who looks really hot from a distance. I love eye-candy, so you will have to bear that.”

“Who is eye-candy then?”

“A lot of guys,” Maria answers, not hiding it at all and Hyunsuk’s face expression darkens by it, looking extremely jealous. “There’s a reason why it’s called eye-candy; it is only for the eye.”

“So I’m not eye-candy?”

Maria grimaces. “When you were in the drama you were eye-candy, because you were hot and far away. You were really cool in it. Now … you can’t be. Now, you are my husband.”

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

“Sit, sit, sit,” Carolina is repeating while waving her hand for her members to come sit down. It’s late now when all the ladies have ended their schedule. Maria has come late to practice after her absolutely first date for We Got Married and the girls have slightly been practicing before they are now sitting down to say their goodbye to ‘Life of Pieces’. After M Countdown, the other ladies had gone on dinner with the staff as a final dinner for ‘Life of Pieces’. The staff are filming from in front of them and one after one the girls seem to find their seats instead of fooling around.

“The day has come…” Maria tells them all, “Where our third season of ‘Life of Pieces’ have reached the final episode, the final filming.”

“It’s the end,” Julia sadly says while Carolina lies down on her stomach to reach closer to the camera.

“I will miss it,” she mumbles and grimaces cutely when Emelia hits her on her .

“With this season … we have really done a lot of things together, and we have shared it with everyone. We got to show off our beloved kitten, Ace, and we have also been able to show off our home sweet home in Sweden,” Maria continues.

“We have gone world wide with our fans,” Emelia nods.

“Since it is our third season we have also been able to be more comfortable with the staff, and I think that has made us showed more sides of ourselves to our fans,” Carolina says when struggling to sit up again. “We have really done a lot of things together, haven’t we?”

“It’s sad,” Hannah pouts, trying to hold in the tears when thinking of that they won’t meet the staff like they have spent the past few months doing.

“Its happy memories,” Maria corrects her. “Because we have been able to share ourselves, not just as idols on the stage but also us when we are practicing or playing around and meeting all of our fans.”

“Fans seem to know everything about us now,” Carolina agrees and puts her hands up to cover up her body, “Like I’m being exposed.”

“But it’s still sad,” Hannah can’t let go of it, “Because we won’t film it anymore.”

“Endings are often sad,” Emelia comment. Hannah puts a hand on Julia sitting next to her as Julia is using her long sleeves to wipe away the tears coming. “Saying goodbye is really difficult…”

“Before,” Carolina starts to say quietly, now getting a little emotional when seeing Julia quietly crying. “I feel like we fool around most of the time on ‘Life of Pieces’, so I feel kind of bad if we at times seem to not be very… oh gee, what’s wrong with me.”

Carolina had to stop as tears wants to come out and she apologizes, turning around as she is not the one to cry. “I feel like our fans will miss this just as we will,” Maria fills in for her. “It is 5 Pieces we film, all of our sides, and I’m happy that our fans appreciate all of our weird sides that we can’t really always show on the stage. And our PD and everyone in the staff aren’t embarrassed to watch us anymore. We are really thankful for that you make us look good even in our weirdest moments.”

“Thank you,” Hannah bows down to the floor, sitting tailor.

“Thank you ‘Life of Pieces’,” the girls all says differently and Emelia continues: “It’s broken-hearting to know that this is the last filming, but we will keep meeting our fans on the stage and in weird situations like we always do and for the future, we will keep working hard to not disappoint our fans. … … … Are we done now?”

“Bye!” Carolina cries out and crawls forward to wave to the camera. Maria almost presses her down when trying to be seen too, all of the ladies trying to fit up close on the camera to say goodbye. Julia really cries when the cameras are starting to be turned off, only one camera left films them as the girls are applauding with the staff over their hard work for the reality program and they bows and congratulates for a good season and a lot of things. Hannah gives Julia a hug in the end.

After that everything is done at the agency, 5 Pieces returns to their apartment, where they prepare to start filming another show. Because 5 Pieces will be very busy for the next couple of weeks, they are filming three episodes of ‘A Good Cause’ this week. One is done, two is coming. The staff for the program (only female staff) comes to 5 Pieces apartment to set up a few cameras and prepare for the morning filming. The ladies have washed up and gotten ready for bed while the staff is walking around fixing everything, and then it is just the ladies and the cameras left in the apartment.

It’s after one in the morning by that time. Hannah sits down in the sofa where Maria is sitting by the computer, the two girls chatting. Emelia comes over too, carrying Ace in her arms and she steps up on the sofa to walk two steps before collapsing in the corner of the sofa to sit comfortably.

“Ya, ladies! Julia and Carolina!” Maria shouts after the two who haven’t arrived and seconds later all the ladies have gathered in the living-room to watch a prepared video that they have to see. “Let’s see our next request.”

5 Pieces is accepting requests from fans and viewers in ‘A Good Cause’ to help out with different things. In the beginning of the week they helped out to baby-sit, and today they will receive their next request. Carolina gets to turn on the video and the TV starts off showing a person sitting alone, as if he is being interview. The ladies burst out laughing seeing their Manager Lim Appa; looking warm and friendly in their eyes but also professional as a manager and nervous in front of the camera. The girls asks what he is doing in the TV and saying he looks so nervous before they hush at each other to hear what he says.

- “With 5 Pieces being busy every day, the girls got a vacation right before their comeback. But as a manager there is no vacation. Before the ladies wake up, managers need to be ready and after that the ladies have finished their schedule, as a manager my work isn’t done yet. In other words, I would want to get some rest too. My request to ‘A Good Cause’ is for 5 Pieces to manage their schedule for one day so I can get a day off. 5 Pieces will have to get to their schedules, fix the meals and make sure of everything that a manager does for them. Though I am worried if they will do well or not, I trust the ladies and … good luck.”

“So…” Carolina looks confused when the video ends. “What does that mean?”

“We will spend a whole day without a manager?!” Maria shines up and once the information gets in, the girls starts to cheer surprisingly happy and loud and crazily. They get up, starts to dance and sing and cheer and laugh and they do seem to be very happy over the fact that they will do everything on their own. “We can eat whatever we want!”

Hannah hurries out to the kitchen while the others keep cheering and she gets the schedule on the fridge for tomorrow and on the way back to the others, she notices an envelope on the table where it says ‘from Appa’ that she picks up before hurrying back to the living-room. “Look what I found!”

There’s money and a note in the envelope that the girls get super happy to see – well, happy over the money – and the note says what the money is going to be used for and also says that the girls need to decide before going to sleep when to wake up and when to leave the apartment, how to get to the saloon, how to get to Music Bank and they need to decide a lot before going to sleep. The girls doesn’t seem very interested in it; Carolina is still thinking of what kind of food she wants to eat while no manager is around. Hannah, on the other hand, is always serious when it comes to mornings. She starts to count the time the moment she hears about waking up and when to leave.

“How do we travel?” Hannah then asks.

“I can drive!” Julia’s hand flies excitedly up in the air, her eyes big by the thought of driving again as she is the only member with a driving licence.

“Ya, your car don’t fit all of us,” Maria tells her. “Don’t we have another car?”

“I can call someone,” Emelia shrugs her shoulders, again sitting with Ace in her arms. “With some threats we can probably get a limousine too.”

“I’ll keep that in mind,” Maria says in a serious tone but they still try to come up with other things. “What about subway? Appa wrote ‘subway’ on the note; we got money for it.”

“Or we can walk…” Hannah pouts, but she is ignored because there is no way they can walk around in big Seoul. They uses the internet to find out about buses and subways and they are actually surprised to find there is a subway station not far away from where they live. The first ten minutes they actually manages to decide that they will go by subway and with Hannah and Emelia thinking of time they also manage to decide when they will have to leave – Hannah thinks of the details, like how much time they will need at the saloon, how far it must be from the saloon to the station and she thinks of the usual things they daily do but with a twist of that they need to do it without a manager and they don’t have a van.

But after those ten minutes, it is mostly just Hannah sitting and continuing with her thinking as she doesn’t want to forget anything but even she is soon distracted as Maria starts to play music on the laptop. The two of them are the only ones left in the living-room; Carolina has gone to the kitchen to find something to eat, Emelia went to her room and Julia is lurking around Carolina to know if she finds something yummy. The music that distracts Hannah is Beyoncé’s [Run The World (Girls)]. Since Hannah and Maria had been talking about it before, Maria couldn’t help but to start the music video and Maria gets up to start dance. She got no idea of what Beyoncé dances, but that never stops Maria from moving however she feels like. Hannah, on the other hand, knows one part of the dance and she only leaves her seat for that part: the bend your knees part during *who run the world (girls)* repeating. She sits back down in the sofa to enjoy seeing Maria throwing around with her hair and dancing and singing for the cameras filming them, being like a teenager loving the music while being home alone. The only difference here is that she isn’t alone; she is in fact being filmed.

A text worryingly saying ‘will they really be able to do well tomorrow?’ will be shown at the airing while showing the girls not even going to sleep even if they will have to get up in less than four hours.

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

Hannah wakes up first in the morning. She had put her alarm time earlier than the others just because she need time to wake up and get ready. There are no cameras in their bedrooms, but there are outside the rooms. The first thing Hannah does is to go to the bathroom, so the cameras captures her when she wakes up, and she then disappears in to her room where she does her morning exercise and gets dressed, packs her bag and when she comes out she looks basically ready to leave even if she still is half asleep.

By that time the alarm has gone on in the other rooms. The camera team has arrived, only female staff in the apartment, but the secret cameras are still very useful as it captures the movements of the girls walking around in the apartment. Hannah is still tired so she can’t speak, so she bangs on Maria’s door to try wake her up as she alarm never works, and she waves to Carolina when she comes out from her room. Julia fixes coffee in the kitchen the moment she wakes up and she gets ready by getting dressed and uses the bathroom before the coffee is ready and she is seen enjoying it in the kitchen where Emelia goes to pack her bag with some yummy things for emergencies.

Hannah still hasn’t said a single word by the time they leave the apartment. She was first to get ready and she takes a round around the apartment to make sure everything is turned off. The group leaves with bare faces, barely awake, and they start off walking towards the subway station.

Everything seems to go well. They reach the subway station, and that is where the confusion starts off. Emelia seems confident to know what to do, but the girls are all confused of what to do and where to go to get on the right subway train.

“There is no subway where we grew up,” Hannah whines. “And we never use it here either.”

It is the first thing she says this morning, and probably the only thing you can say is words as she just gives out whining sound while following around her confused members around at the station. Since the group doesn’t seem to have anything against asking people for help, there is no problem to find out where they have to go and they have to run there because they are late. The subway station is filled with people heading to work and school at this early hour, and of course even if the ladies aren’t wearing make-up it is very obvious that five foreigners followed by cameras aren’t just anyone. Emelia is hiding behind a mask over ; yesterday her voice had almost disappeared after their performance and it isn’t really the best today, but it isn’t that she is sick or anything she just seems to have overworked her voice. The girls don’t even stick together at the station while running around like five lost chickens. They don’t loose each other, they just separate to try find out where to go.

“I found it, I found it!” Carolina comes running over to Hannah and Emelia to drag them with her to get tickets.

“Where’s the captain then?” Emelia wonders and stands up on her toes to look after their tall leader. It’s chaos.

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

Headline 15th: 5 Pieces’ Maria & Actor Kwon Hyunsuk On First Date As New ‘We Got Married’ Couple!

 

Headline 16th: 5 Pieces’ [Black & White] Appears On American News