Of Broken Spells and Broken Hearts

Too Stupid To Be Cupid

“So anyways, I’m so sorry for everything that’s happened.” Yixing apologized profusely, bowing so much that Junmyeon was near certain that he would get stuck in that position.

 

“Yeah, me too.” Baekhyun said, rubbing the back of his neck in embarrassment. “I didn’t even know this stuff was real.”

 

“No, it’s really okay. You’re not the one to blame here.” Junmyeon said, sighing bitterly as his thoughts drifted to the boy that got him stuck in the predicament in the first place. He’s happy he at least got to spend some time with his crush. He led the two out of the room, the boys trailing after him for what could be the last time, only to stop in their tracks as their sights landed on the lone boy in the kitchen. Junmyeon furrowed his brow. He could’ve sworn there was a certain giant there an hour ago.

 

“Where’s Chany-” he began, stopping himself as he saw the tears brim in Kyungsoo’s eyes. "Hey, are you okay?”

 

“He left.” Kyungsoo deadpanned. “He knows, and he left.”

 

“Kyungsoo, I’m-”

 

“Sorry? Why should you be?” Kyungsoo sighed, running a hand through his hair. “It doesn’t even matter anymore. I don’t know why I was deluding myself like this in the first place. This is all my fault.” he murmured under his breath, excusing himself quickly as he rushed past the trio past the hallway, making a sharp turn into his room.

 

“W-what happened?” Yixing asked tentatively.

 

Junmyeon smiled sadly.

 

“He fell in love with a boy under a spell.”

 

~~~~~~~

 

Chanyeol wrung his hands as his thoughts swam in his head, barely registering the passing scenery of the city. He had taken the first bus he had seen since leaving Kyungsoo’s apartment, which- luckily for him- was set on a route already familiar to him. He snapped out of his reverie once he saw the park he and Baekhyun used to wander.

 

Baekhyun.

 

He called the bus to a stop as he remembered the boy he loved. He stepped off the vehicle quickly, searching his pockets for his phone. With reckless abandon, he texted the all-too familiar number on his phone, wandering to the all-too familiar park bench as he awaited a response.

 

~~~~~~~

 

“That must’ve been hard on him.” Yixing said absentmindedly.

 

“It was funny at first, really. Kyungsoo absolutely detested Chanyeol. I guess the same can’t be said for now.”

 

Baekhyun chuckled. “People change.” he said, pulling out his phone as the device chimed “But I guess that can’t be said for everyone.” he murmured.

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

“It’s… Chanyeol. He wants to meet at the park by the school.”

 

“Ah… So I take it you’ll be leaving now?”

 

“Yeah. It’s been nice talking, you know, now that we’re not under the effects of any spell. We should do it again.”

 

Yixing nodded. “It was really nice hanging out with you, Junmyeon.” he beamed.

 

Junmyeon could feel his heart palpitate as he nodded dumbly, still rooted to the same spot even after the two had left.

 

~~~~~~~

 

Baekhyun sighed, wrapping his arms around himself as he was hit with a gust of cool air. Even from a distance, Chanyeol’s frame was visible, hunched over, legs shaking considerably under the lamp post. Baekhyun approached with tentative steps, the giant’s head whipping to the side when he heard the elder’s footsteps.


“Baek…” he said with a smile.

 

“What did you need, Yeol?” the elder asked.

 

“Well- there’s something that I’ve been meaning to tell you. Here-” he said, scootching to the side to make room. “Sit down.”

 

“Chanyeol, are you okay? You seem a bit… frazzled.”

 

“Yeah, well…” he said, rubbing the back of his neck. “Something happened earlier today that really got me thinking.”

 

“Is this about being put under a spell with cupid magic?”

 

Chanyeol’s eyes widened. “You too?”

 

“Oh yeah.”

 

Chanyeol sighed. “Yeah, so- it made me realize that things happen- things that we can’t control. When these things happen, you need to deal with the consequences, whether they’re good or bad.”

 

“What’s your point?”

 

“We’ve been friends for a long time. Like a really long time. And- well, there’s no easy way of saying this, but I like you. A lot. Since we met. Since we became friends.”

 

“Yeol…”

 

“I don’t know what happened for the past few months with the spells or whatever, but I really do. I… I love you, Baek.”