Meeting the Parents

Too Stupid To Be Cupid

“Yeol, are you sure about this?”


 

“Of course I’m sure. You’re wonderful and they’ll love you.”

 

“I’m just kinda nervous. This is the first time I’ve ever met your parents. What if I mess up? What if I embarrass myself? What if I-” Chanyeol rolled his eyes, capturing Kyungsoo’s lips in a kiss, leaving the shorter boy stunned as he pulled away.

 

“You’ll be fine Soo.” Chanyeol said, ringing the doorbell of his parent’s apartment, the door opening to reveal an ecstatic Mrs. Park.


 

“Channie!” she shouted, throwing her arms around her tall son. “You’re not going to die alone! Honey! Channie’s not going to die alone!”

 

“Channie’s not gonna die alone?!” Mr. Park shouted, surprised from inside the apartment. “Man, wait till Yoora hears about this!”

 

“Wow, real supportive guys.” Chanyeol muttered as his mother rolled his eyes, attention diverting to the shorter boy.

 

“And who is this cutie?” she asked ruffling the boy’s hair.

 

“This is Kyungsoo mom. A.K.A the reason I’m not dying alone.”

 

 

“How’d he trick you into dating him?” She said to Kyungsoo.

 

 

“Mom!”

 

“Oh calm down, I'm just kidding. Now come in, dinner’s starting soon.”


 

Chanyeol flashed Kyungsoo a weak smile, Kyungsoo only lightly pushing him over with a small smile as they entered the apartment.

 

 

“What are you making?” Chanyeol asked curiously, walking into the kitchen.

 

 

“Yah! Park Chanyeol, get away from my food before you burn the apartment down again!”

 

“But mom~”


 

“Sit down, Yoora will be home soon. She told us to start without her.”

 

“Kyungsoo?” Chanyeol called at the boy awkwardly standing by the dining table. “Come sit.”


 

Kyungsoo nodded, seating himself next to Chanyeol.

 

 

A few minutes later Kyungsoo found himself staring into a bowl of soup that smelled absolutely mouthwatering. Clearly Chanyeol needed to learn more from his mother.

 

 

Grinning at the look on her guest's face, Mrs.Park gestured at the bowl in front of Kyungsoo. "Go on, dig in. It's our famous Park bone soup! It's a secret family recipe that's been passed down for ages." She winked at him conspiratorially.

 

 

"MOOMMMM" Chanyeol whined in protest. "NOT THAT AGAINNNNN. Don't believe her Kyungsoo, it's just normal pork bone soup there's no secret ingredient or anything."

 

 

"And how would you know?" his mother argued, hands on her hips. "It's not like you ever bothered to learn the recipe. I just hope Kyungsoo here will be able to keep the tradition going."

 

 

"Nah" Chanyeol laughed. "He's just as bad a cook as me."

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

“Kyungsoo, come take a seat.” Chanyeol’s mom said with a kind smile, gesturing to the couch. He sat down awkwardly beside her as she took a large book from the coffee table.

 

 

“Mom?” Chanyeol asked cautiously. “What are you doing with that?”

 

“I thought Kyungsoo might want to see something.” she said opening the book, Kyungsoo trying, albeit not very well, to contain his laughter.

 

 

“This was Chanyeol in the sixth grade when he decided he wanted to be a ferret expert when he grew up.”

 

 

“Aww, you were so chubby!” Kyungsoo said, Chanyeol reluctantly seating himself beside Kyungsoo, giving him a light shove and muttering a quiet shut up.

 

 

“Chanyeol, why don’t you regale us with some of your ferret facts?”

 

 

“Hey Kyungsoo, let’s go to my room and away from my mother.” Chanyeol said quickly, grabbing Kyungsoo by the wrist and leading him down the hall and into his room.


 

“Ferrets, huh?” Kyungsoo asked as the Chanyeol closed the door behind them.

 

“I was like 12, I needed a hobby.”

 

“So you chose ferrets.”

 

“So I chose ferrets.”

 

“Why?”

 

“A really good friend from a long time ago gave me a ferret sticker and it spiraled into this mess.”

 

“One ferret sticker resulted in that?”

 

“Well, he gave me one every week since we met, so long story short, I have a collection of ferret stickers.”

 

“No.”

 

“Oh yeah.” Chanyeol smiled, sifting through his shelf until he pulled out a large binder. He sat on his bed and flipped it open, revealing page after page of stickers. Kyungsoo watched as the smile slowly dropped, Chanyeol looking up from the binder.

 

“What are we doing here?” Chanyeol asked, confused.

 

 

“Chanyeol?”

 

“W-what happened? Is it still Valentine’s Day?”

 

“Oh no.”

 

Chanyeol shook his head, dumb smile returning to his face.


 

“Chanyeol?” Kyungsoo asked with a worried expression, Chanyeol’s smile dropping into a worried look.


 

“What’s wrong? Are you alright?” he asked, abandoning the binder and wrapping Kyungsoo in a hug.


 

“N-no, I’m okay.” Kyungsoo said, offering a weak smile.

 

 

Kyungsoo knew this was going to happen. He just wasn’t sure if he was ready for it.