A Lonely Night

Too Stupid To Be Cupid

Luhan chuckled nervously, looping an arm around Yifan’s broad frame, supporting as much of the younger’s weight as he could. Yifan winced in pain with every step, the once white gauze on his thigh quickly becoming a deep red.

 

“Sorry about that. Jongin’s a bit- well, how do I put this nicely?” Luhan said sheepishly.

 

Yifan chuckled. “Just like you when you were his age?”

 

“Okay, well, rude.”

 

“Can’t say I’m wrong.”

 

“Fine, I’ll give you that much.”

“Now where are we off to?”

 

“Well, I’m sure the spell must be wearing off Junmyeon’s band of idiots, so I don’t think the apartment would be a good idea, unless you want Junmyeon to cry all over you.”

 

“You have to admit, he does look pretty funny when he cries.”

 

“Fair enough, but we’re going to Sehun’s.”

 

Yifan gave the boy an uneasy look. “Sehun?”

 

“Oh calm down, it’s worn off.”

 

“Whatever you say.” Yifan said, tone still tentative.

 

~~~~~~

 

“Jongdae, are you sure this is a good idea?”

 

“Of course it’s a good idea. Don’t you trust me?”

 

“I do, but you said it yourself- he’s shy.”

 

“Jeremy’s a good monster. She wouldn’t break Melissa’s heart like that. Melissa’s really excited to meet her anyways.”

 

Tao sighed as he turned to face his closet. “Jeremy! Are you ready to meet Melissa?” he screamed, getting a nervous garble in response. “Come on! Stop being so scared! He’ll love you!” The monster let out an audible sigh. “I’m pushing the laptop in now, just be yourself, okay?”

 

“Come on, Melissa!” Jongdae shouted from the other end of their skype call. “Jeremy won’t think you’re fat! She’s very nice!” he said, Melissa making an audible struggle before suddenly quieting down.

 

Jeremy was the first to initiate conversation, beginning with a raspy hello, soon calming down once Melissa began replying comfortably.

 

Well Tao will be damned. It worked.

 

~~~~~~~

 

“So…” Chanyeol began, tracing circles onto the kitchen island, Kyungsoo absentmindedly humming a tune as he prepared dinner.

 

“What’s up?” Kyungsoo mumbled, dipping a spoon into the boiling soup, blowing on it softly before sipping it.

 

“What’s all this I’ve heard about cupids?”

 

Kyungsoo’s eyes bulged as he nearly choked.

 

“Should I have not asked that?”

 

Kyungsoo cleared his throat. “No, no- It was just sudden is all.” he said quickly, turning to face Chanyeol. “Why are you asking?”

 

“Because I know that I was under a spell.”

 

Kyungsoo put his spoon down, refusing to make eye contact with the giant.


“H-how long have you known?”

 

Chanyeol shrugged.

 

“It wasn’t my choice, if you want to know. I’m sorry if you thought I forced you into this.”

 

“No, that’s not what I wanted to talk about.”

 

“Then what?”

 

“Well, it was more out of curiosity.”

 

“About what?”

 

“Well, I just wanted to know what happened. How does the magic work?”

 

Kyungsoo took a deep breath, pulling out a chair from the island.

 

“Where do I start? Luhan shot- well stabbed you- at the Valentine’s dance a few months ago and I was the first person you saw. You were really clingy at the beginning, but I stopped caring after a while and, long story short, I fell for you. I was afraid of what would happen when the spell wore off, but I guess I thought I had more time than I did. As for the magic, it doesn’t get much simpler than shoot somebody, and the first person they see is the one they’ll be in love with.”

 

Chanyeol pursed his lips.

 

“Well, do you have anything to say?”

 

“Well…” Chanyeol said, breathing out. “I-I don’t know.” he said, standing up from his seat. “I… I think I need some time.”

 

"Oh. Yeah, okay. Take however long you need."

 

Kyungsoo sighed, turning around to the stove, smiling bitterly at the meal meant for two.


It was gonna be a lonely night.