Hating the Game

Too Stupid To Be Cupid

“But Chanyeoooollllllll” Minseok whines, tugging at his friend’s sleeve and pouting pathetically.

 

 

“But Miiiinnnseeeeoookkkk” Chanyeol mimics back, rolling his eyes at his hyung’s childishness.

 

 

“But Channyyeeeeeoooolllllllll” Minseok retaliates, flopping himself down across the library table they were sitting at, conviently landing on top of Chanyeol’s textbook that he was trying to study from.

 

 

“And you call me childish” he sighs, giving the elder a blank stare as Minseok giggles victoriously, knowing he’s won.

 

 

“Now tell Dr.Yeollie all your problems and remember I charge twenty dollars per word.”

 

 

“Well you see, Luhan likes soccer.”

 

 

“$120.”

 

 

“And you like soccer.”

 

 

“$200.”

 

 

“So now all you have to do is teach me soccer, I’ll excel at it, Luhan lusts after my amazing soccer skills and we hook up. When do we start?” Minseok finishes with eyes gleaming with hope.

 

 

“That’ll be $800 with a five dollar bull fee. Will you be paying in cash or credit?”

 

 

Minseok rolled his eyes, and shifted himself onto Chanyeol’s lap, looking up pleadingly with his renowned puppy dog eyes. “Will you help me? Pleeaaaasssseee?”

 

 

“Make that a thirty dollar bull fee.”

 

 

“Do it for your favourite hyung?”

 

 

“Baekhyun hyung isn’t here.”

 

 

“Did I mention that this hyung of yours will be buying you a spanking new ferret?”

 

 

“Okay, you’re my favourite. Does Tuesday afternoon at 5:30 work for you?”

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

“He’s so beautiful.”

 

 

“Okay.”

 

 

“His thighs- oh my god- look at those thighs.”

 

 

“Okay.”

 

 

“That’s it. I’m calling him honeythighs from now on.”

 

 

“Please don’t do that.”

 

 

“But those thighs deserve recognition.”

 

 

“Minseok.” Chanyeol gripped the older boy’s shoulder, catching his attention for a second as he tries to convey his next words as earnestly as possible, “you’re gross.”

 

“But I’m not wrong” Minseok turned back to the unconditional love of his life: Luhan and his gorgeous thighs. “Unf.”

 

 

“I’m beginning to think this isn’t worth the ferret.”
 


~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

“Goddamn it Minseok.”

 

 

“Hey! This isn’t as easy as it looks!”


 

“That doesn’t excuse the fact you play like a blind walrus with no limbs.”

 

 

“Oh shut up.”

 

 

“You could do better than that.”
 


“I’m trying!”

 

 

Chanyeol sighed as he approached the shorter boy, stealing the ball from him.

 

 

“Do it like this.” he said, kicking the ball around the pylons with the inside of his foot, kicking the ball back to Minseok. The older nodded in determination, kicking the ball a bit too hard and sending it flying to Chanyeol’s family jewels.


 

“Sorry!”

 

“Maybe we should pick this up again tomorrow.” Chanyeol squeaked - his voice an octave higher than usual - before waddling away.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

“Who would’ve thought Kim Minseok would’ve made it as soccer captain?” Chanyeol teased, ruffling the older boy’s hair.

 

 

“Oh shut up.”

 

“It’s almost like you were still kicking soccer balls into my balls just yesterday. Where has the time gone?”


 

“I can still very well kick soccer balls into your crotch if need be. Just say the words.”

 

 

“Like I’m ever going to ask.”

 

“You never know. What if one day you want to never have kids again?”


 

“Well, if that ever happens, I guess I know who to call.”

 

 

“Hey Minseok!” a voice called, the two turning their heads to an all too familiar friend of theirs.

 

“And here we go.” Chanyeol muttered before waving his hands at the boy, smile on his face. “Hey Luhan!”

 

 

Chanyeol was almost sure he could hear Minseok’s heart inflate and explode by the time Luhan had made it over to them.

 

 

“I heard you made captain, good job.” Luhan said with a grin and a pat on the back, Chanyeol chuckling at the light pink tint in his friend’s cheeks.

 

 

“T-thanks Luhan. Congrats for making the team too.”


 

“Thanks. I didn’t know you were into soccer though.”

 

“Oh, I just recently got into it… Chanyeol taught me.”

 

“I’m impressed Minseok. Oh, Sehun’s waiting for me, I’ll see you guys later.”


 

“Isn’t he just dreamy?” Minseok sighed as Luhan ran to Sehun down the hall.

 

“Umm, no?”

 

“Yeah, you’d better say no. That man is my man.”

 

 

“I got that. You tell me enough times.”

 

“But did you hear what he said to me? ‘Good job’... Good job! We’re practically dating now!”

 

 

“Hyung-”

 

“Who do you think we should invite to our wedding?”

 

“Minseok hyung-”

 

 

“Oh, don’t worry Chanyeol, I’ll be sure to make you best man.”

 

Chanyeol sighed in defeat. “Okay hyung, whatever you want.”

 

 

“And then we can move into a little house with a white picket fence next to the ocean so we can go on long romantic walks by the water, kiss during the sunset and-”

 

 

Chanyeol sighed, patting his friend on the back. “Good luck with that fantasy.”

 

“Minseok gushing on about his crush again?” Baekhyun asked as he slowed to a stop near the two.


 

“Oh yeah. I call Baekhyun as my favourite hyung again.”

 

“Damn straight you do. I’m offended you ever wavered.” Baekhyun teased.

 

 

“You can’t blame me, you know I’m weak around ferrets. When did you ever get me a ferret?”

 

“I gave you that ferret sticker a few months back. Does that count?”

 

“Nice try.”

 

“Well congrats on making the team.” Baekhyun said with his rectangular smile, patting the giant on the back.

 

 

“T-thanks.” he replied, his face growing hot.


 

“-and we’ll have 3 kids, Luhan junior, Minseok junior and Luhan junior number 2.”

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

“Today’s the day.”

 

“That’s what you say everyday.”

 

“Well today’s the actual day.”


 

“Forgive me if I don’t particularly believe you.”

 

“Forgive me if I drop you as best man for our wedding.”

 

 

“Water under the bridge. Good luck.”

 

“Thanks.” Minseok said, taking his phone out, thumb hovering over the screen. “I’ll need it.”

 

 

He clenched and unclenched his fist as he waited for his love’s beautiful voice to serenade him into an awkward that he would later do things with Luhan’s melodic voice to answer.

 

 

Minseok’s breath hitched when the boy began to speak. “Be patient you little brat, I’m coming out soon.” The boy said with a chuckle.

 

 

“Luhan?”


 

“What do you want?” he asked moments later, tone cold.
 

 

“Can you meet me on the field?” he asked nervously.

 

 

“Why? Coach told you to clean up."

 

 

“I’m not asking for help- I just- can you please come out?”

 

“I don’t think you’re in a position to be asking anything of me, Minseok.”

 

“I know, I know. Just- please.”


 

“Fine. I’ll be out in a bit.”

 

 

Minseok sighed as he bent over, slowly picking up pylons from their spots on the field, hands growing clammy.

 

 

“What is it?” Luhan asked impatiently as he arrived.


 

“Hey. There’s really no easy way for me to say this-” Minseok started, placing the pylons down and wringing his hands uncomfortably.

 

“You sound as if you ran over my dog with your bike.”

 

Minseok flushed, staring at his shoes, chuckling quietly. “Actually no, it’s something else.” he said, inching closer to the younger. “I’ve been feeling this way for a while and-”

 

“This is not happening right now.” Luhan muttered under his breath.


 

“- well, I really like you Luhan. A lot. Since a few years ago, actually. I’ll be honest, I only started soccer because I wanted to impress you.”

 

“Says the captain of the soccer team.”


 

Minseok rubbed the back of his neck, chuckling. “I wanted to make sure I got on the team so I could impress you somehow. I figured if I worked hard enough to be captain, I would get your attention.”

 

“Well you got my attention one way or another.”

 

“Well, Luhan, do you wanna go get something to eat after this? I see you drink bubble tea a lot, maybe you’d wanna go do that? With me?”

 

“I’m sorry Minseok, but I can’t go out with you. I already like someone else.”

 

It was at that moment Minseok was sure he could hear his heart shatter in his chest.


 

“It’s nothing personal, I just don’t like you like that. We’ve been friends for a while, and that’s what we should stay as. Friends. I’m sorry, Minseok, but I gotta go.”

 

 

Minseok nodded dumbly as Luhan ran outside, the older trying to swallow the lump in his throat. He sighed as he felt hot tears graze his cheeks, the boy seating himself onto the grass, burying his face in his knees as the love of his life runs away from him.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

“Minseok?” Chanyeol asked quietly, knocking softly on the older boy’s door. “Are you alright?”


 

Chanyeol sighed, frustrated.

 

 

“Minseok, let me in.”

 

 

He was met with a broken sob.

 

“Minseok-” he repeated, a bit louder. “Please.”

 

He turned the knob for the nth time that day, eyes widening when he found it was finally unlocked. He eased the door open, careful to not startle the older boy.

 

“Hyung-”

 

“What do you want Chanyeol?” he muttered, eyes red and swollen.

 

“Hyung, what happened?”

 

“What do you think happened?”

 

 

Chanyeol smiled sadly at his friend, seating himself on the bed next to him.


 

“He rejected me Yeol.” Minseok sobbed, burying his face in his friend’s chest, Chanyeol’s long arms wrapping around the smaller boy. “H-he said he liked someone else.”

 

“It’s okay hyung.”

 

Minseok laughed bitterly. “I was delirious anyways. What made me think even for a moment he’d like me back?”

 

“Hyung, don’t say that.”

 

 

“It’s the truth.”

 

“No, it’s not.”

 

“I feel so stupid.”

 

“You’re not stupid hyung.”

 

“No, I am. Because even after all of that, I can’t bring myself to stop loving him.”