Prologue

Too Stupid To Be Cupid

“Hyung!” Sehun whined as the older paced around the room, occasionally dodging his soccer ball that was rolling around the room like a stray cat, “are you ditching me to play soccer again? Why can’t we ever hang out anymore?”

 

“We hung out, what are you saying?” Minseok said half heartedly as he threw clothes into his bag. “We hung out on Saturday.”

 

“That was 2 months ago hyung.”


“Well then time sure does fly by quickly.” he shouldered the bag checking the time. “I’m late. Don’t wait up.”


“But hyung!”
 


Minseok turned around, exasperated. “What is it Sehun? I’m meeting my friends for soccer.”

 

 

“Why can’t we ever play soccer together anymore?”

 

“Cause I have new friends now Sehun. Friends my age. Go hang out with Luhan or something.”

 

“But hyung-”

 

“I’m going now Sehun.”

 

"But Luhan isn’t even my age" he muttered as Minseok left the apartment, Sehun following him out to go find Luhan anyways. If Minseok wasn’t gonna hang out with him, Sehun was at least gonna find someone who would.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 

“Minseok c-can we talk?”

 

The elder turned around, reluctantly pulling away from his large group of friends and followed Sehun with a ticked off face.

 

When they arrived at- well, where ever they were - which turned out to be some abandoned room with a single (probably broken) lightbulb hanging by a thread and the only light source being the small window in the door - Sehun turned to Minseok with a shuddering breath. “So I know we haven’t been hanging out much recently but IjustwantedyoutoknowthatIreallylikeyouwillyoubemyboyfriend?”

 

“What? I can’t even understand what you’re saying can you at least slow down? Just talk normally or just don’t ing talk at all, I have better things to do than waste my time babying idiots like you.”  

 

“What?” Sehun asked, clearly hurt from the harsh tone put on from the boy who used to be his best friend.

 

Seeing his friend’s hurt and confused expression, Minseok softened a bit and sighed, carding both hands through his hair. “I’m sorry, that was unnecessary. It’s just, well, you’re right we haven’t been hanging out a lot recently and I’m sorry but I guess I’m just busy, you know? There’s all these big games coming up and everyone’s putting so much pressure on us to win, and … and I’m sorry I guess I just don’t have time for you anymore. But we’re still friends so if you need anything you can always come talk to me alright? Now I really need to go so if you have anything else you need to say just say it fast.”

 

I just don’t have time for you anymore.

 

“No.” Sehun whispered, comparing their shoes - Minseok’s which were caked with mud and grass from playing outside and his which were pristine and white from sitting indoors all the time - and trying his hardest not to cry. “No, I- it’s- it was nothing- it was stupid you can go. Sorry, I know you were busy.”

 

Nodding, Minseok patted the younger on the back and left, leaving Sehun alone with his thoughts.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

“Just confess to him.”

 

“You know I can’t do that Luhan.”

 

“Why not? It’s been a year. Do you even like him anymore?”

 

“Of course I still like him. I just- I’m trying to find the right time to do it.”
 


“That’s what you always say.”

 

“It’s not exactly an easy thing to do Luhan. He’s always busy with soccer and school and I just don’t want to add extra baggage onto that.”

 

“Pffft you’re not baggage-”

 

“Well thanks but-”

 

“More like carry-on. You just need your phone, some internet, and a bag of chips and you’re good to go for the whole day.”

 

“Umm, thanks? But I seriously can’t tell him. I mean, I don’t even think he’s gay, plus he said-”

 

“Yeah yeah okay no pressure, but where’s the bathroom? Seriously that bubble tea just goes right through me.” Luhan muttered distractedly.

 

“No! You will stay here and listen to me rant whether you like it or not. I bought that bubble tea for you don’t you dare abandon me in my time of need.”

 

“Do you want to get peed on?”

 

“Not particularly…”

 

“Then how about paying attention to my needs for once before it ends up all over you and everything you love?”

 

“Ugh. First door on the right.”

 

Luhan followed his instructions but rushed back into Sehun’s room looking traumatized shortly after, his sister’s shriek ringing throughout the house.

 

Sehun smirked. “Sorry, I meant the other right.”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

“Sehun, the Valentine’s day dance is coming up. You need to go ask Minseok. Like now.”

 

“But Luhaaannnn~”


“No, don’t you ‘But Luhaaannnn~’ me, you’re asking him to that dance.”

 

“But he doesn’t even swing that way! And who do you think you are giving me advice on my love life? Who are you asking to the dance?”

 

“No one. My job isn’t to find a date, it’s to make sure you have one.”

 

“What do you mean ‘your job’?”


“Sehun, can I tell you a secret?”

 

“Of course, we’re best friends.”

 

“Come closer.” he asked, Sehun leaning in. Luhan tiptoed to reach his ear.

 

“I’m secretly-” the older boy looked around “Cupid.”

 

“Luhan, don’t be stupid…er than you usually are. You’re not Cupid.”


“I’m not! I’m telling you the truth!”

 

 

“Luhan, you know how I feel about Minseok. I’d appreciate it if you’d hold back on the bat- crazy a bit.”

 

 

“Sehun! I’m not lying! I’ll prove it to you!”

 

 

“And how exactly are you gonna do that?”

 

 

“I’ll shoot Minseok.”

 

 

“With your magical love arrows?” he asked sarcastically.

 

 

“Yes exactly. Now go ask him."

 

 

“Why would I need to ask him if you’re just gonna shoot him?” Sehun asked mockingly.

 

 

“Because- OH JUST SHUT UP AND DO IT!” Luhan said, turning Sehun around and pushing him out into the middle of the hall, Minseok and his friends walking up to them, almost colliding.

 

 

“Oh, Sehun. Are you ok?”

 

 

“Y-yeah, I just tripped.”

 

 

“Be careful, ok?” Minseok said, patting him on the shoulder, walking away.

 

 

“Minseok, wait. I need to ask you something.”

 

 

The older turned around, waving his friends off to go without him before walking back to Sehun.

 

 

“What’s up?”

 

 

“Well, the Valentine’s day dance is coming up and I wanted to know if you maybe wanted to go with me?”

 

 

Minseok’s eyes widened and he choked on air.

 

 

“Oh, you don’t have to if you don’t want to, I just thought that maybe-”

 

 

“Sorry dude, but I just don’t like you like that. We’ve been friends since we were tiny, I just don’t see you as someone I’d go out with. And I’ve got to get to practise, I’m really sorry Sehun.”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Sehun sighed as he leaned against his locker, waiting for Luhan who had disappeared for a few hours. He repeatedly checked his phone, waiting for the long overdue text Luhan was supposed to send him, looking up every so often in hopes of catching him walking around the halls. Nothing.

 

 

He smiled when he heard the familiar ringtone set to Luhan’s number, quickly picking up and pressing the phone to his face.

 

 

“Hello?”

 

 

“Sehun?”

 

 

“Hey, what’s up? I’ve been waiting for you for the past 30 minutes.”

 

 

“Sorry about that. Can you meet me outside the change room?”

 

 

“Yeah, sure, give me a bit.”

 

 

He shoved his phone in his pocket as he walked to the change room, trying not to look as sad as he felt. He tried to keep his mind off Minseok, but he couldn’t help but think back about the boy who had rejected him a few days earlier.

 

 

“If only Luhan could actually shoot him with a love arrow.” Sehun muttered under his breath. “Wouldn’t that just make for less heartbreak-” Sehun’s eyes widened as he stopped a few meters from the changeroom. “This is not happening.”

 

 

He watched in horror as the boy turned around, smiling and waving. “Sehun! Over here!”

 

 

Sehun’s jaw dropped. “Oh. My. God.”