9. Getting to know you

Eunsun: A star for the king

“So Eunsun-sshi what would you like us to do?” Gyuri asked after the maids had vacuumed the suite. Eunsun thought for a moment.

“Hmm I know what, Could someone please go the kitchen and see if the box of truffles I requested is finished?”

“I will,” Nicole quickly left, the other four stood around awkwardly. It had nearly been a month since they’d met yet it was still awkward.

“Umm why don’t you four get changed out of your work uniforms and join me sitting down?” They stared at her.

“B-but… You are our boss.”

“I may be but that doesn’t mean I can’t hang out with you,” Eunsun protested, “besides I had ordered the movie and everything…”

“A movie?” She nodded.

“I thought we could all watch it,” Eunsun said, “like a way of getting to know each other.”

“Oh, umm ok,” they all started to nod.

“How about you get changed and then come back and we can talk for a while?”

“Here’s the box,” Nicole proudly held up the round tin with the fancy writing, “is there anything else Eunsun-sshi?”

“You can go get changed into some comfortable clothes like the others.”

“Eh?” She asked and Eunsun nodded and she followed the other five to their rooms. Eunsun smiled to herself as she turned the television screen on and put the DVD in the player.

“Ok we did as you requested,” Eunsun smiled as she saw the girls in their shorts, dresses but more importantly out of uniform.

“Good now isn’t that more comfortable?” She opened the truffle box and held it out to her, “truffle?” They backed away as if it was poisoned. Eunsun put the box on the couch.

“I don’t bite.”

“But we don’t know much about you…”

“Ok,” Eunsun made herself comfortable on a part of the couch, “I am twenty eight years old.”

“Wow really?” The other maids turned to glare at Jiyoung.

“Who’s the oldest out of you five?”

“Gyuri-ah she’s twenty four,” they quickly pointed to her who didn’t smile or move.

“The youngest is Jiyoung-ee,” Eunsun nodded as they finally joined her.

“Ok umm I’m guessing you all have family right?”

“Yeah but we haven’t seen them in a while,” the girls seemed uncomfortable at this.

“Sorry I didn’t realize…”

“Do you have family?”

“I do, I have an uncle.” They were surprised at Eunsun’s statement.

“Oh… But don’t you have parents?” Seungyeon asked her. Eunsun shook her head.

“My parents disappeared when I was seven. I haven’t heard or seen from them since.”

“We’re sorry,” they all went around her and put a hand on her.

“It’s alright,” she reassured them, “now the truffles are melting. Help yourself.” Slowly one by one they all took a truffle and put it in their mouths as they watched the film.

***

Later that night when the girls were asleep, Eunsun found she was unable to rest. She got out of bed and put on a dressing gown, another one of Eric’s luxurious gifts. She found herself out in the garden where she’d been walking with HoDong when they met the king. He hadn’t been able to visit recently due to a recent job being a far distance from the palace. Eunsun felt lonely, she didn’t have reason to think about her parents until they asked her about it. She honestly didn’t know.

“Can’t sleep?” She turned to see a familiar face. Startled she bowed.

“Your highness I didn’t hear you.”

“Youngmin-sshi remember what I told you last time?”

“Oh… Sorry your—Youngmin-sshi,” he chuckled at her fumbling for the right words. He stretched his arms up over his head.

“I wasn’t going to bed yet, I had some business to attend to and then I decided to go for a stroll. I saw you from my window so I got curious.” He had a very kind voice for a busy man, “penny for your thoughts?”

“I don’t know,” Eunsun shrugged, “there isn’t much to share.”

“Anything and everything I’m all ears,” Eunsun had to think about this. While she was thinking he came up beside her, she was surprised at how tall he was.

“You would know what it’s like to have family right?”

“That I do.”

“But what if your family was… Different?”

“I know how that feels,” Youngmin said as they walked down the path, “I was given special treatment at school because of my father.”

“Well… My family is just my uncle,” Eunsun realized that must have sounded strange to a king, “I don’t have anyone else.”

“No mother or father?”

“No, neither.”

“How interesting,” the king put his hand on his chin as he contemplated this, “But no matter whom or how many people there is anyone can be a family.”

“That is true,” Eunsun agreed, “I guess I’m just feeling odd because of it.”

“Do you know what happened to your parents?” She shook her head.

“Right, well if you gave me their names I could help.” Her eyes grew larger as she stopped walking to turn to him.

“Really? Y-you would help me your highness?”

“Of course, provided you can call me Youngmin-sshi.”

“S-sorry Youngmin-sshi,” Youngmin chuckled, patting her on the back. Eunsun felt a shiver run up her spine and down again.

“I will let you know when I find something.”

“Thank you I really appreciate it.” The moon was up and it illuminated her smile, the king blinked before having to look away.

“You’d better be getting to bed; you’ll have a big day and all, with all that Eric-ee seems to have planned.”

“Oh right Eric-sshi, that reminds me.” She held up the fabric on her dressing gown, “can you please let him know I said thank you? For all he’s done for me?”

“I will,” Youngmin promised gently, “goodnight Eunsun-sshi.”

“Goodnight Youngmin-sshi,” it felt strange calling the king by his first name but she liked it; made her feel more comfortable around him.

*************************************************************************************************************
Stay tuned it gets better!