thirty five.

That YouTube Girl
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Thanks for coming with me Sojin. I really appreciate it.”

Ariel and Sojin sat in the auditorium of the university, awaiting for their guide to show them around campus. 

“No problem. I wanted to visit California and here I am.”

An older women walked into the auditorium and went up on stage. Everyone in the room hushed themselves for the lady to speak. The lady tapped on the microphone before speaking into it. “Thank you everyone for being here. Welcome to the Experience Berkeley program. Through this program, you will be touring around the campus and will be able to view lectures in session. When you've arrived, each potential student was given a name tag with a number on it. Your guide for the day will find you outside the auditorium, in the lobby area. The schedule for today include: campus tour with your guide, lunch at 12:30, then after lunch, you will be able to sit in some of the classes we offer depending on your major. After the orientation part, there will be a social mixer on campus, where you will chat with some of the current students here.”

After the announcement, everyone in the room went outside into the lobby area, waiting for their guide to approach them. It seemed like Ariel’s guide was running behind, considering how they were the only two left in the lobby area as everyone else was out the door with their guide. 

Ariel and Sojin sat down on a lounge sofa, waiting for the guide to show up. Ariel took her phone out of her bag, checking for any messages from Chanyeol. After their talk, Ariel signed up for the program. One week later, Ariel is now at Berkeley University. They arrived yesterday night, and Chanyeol hasn’t sent her one message or called her to check up on her. She sighed deeply when she saw there were no new messages or missed calls.

“Nothing?” Sojin asked as she heard Ariel’s distressful sigh. 

Ariel put her phone back into her bag and ran a hand through her hair, feeling frustrated. “He would’ve called me by now.”

Sojin placed a hand on her back to reassure her. “Maybe he’s at a schedule right now.”

“I didn’t do anything wrong.. Did I?” She asked, with a worried look. “I’ve asked him so many times if he would be fine about me coming out here. Maybe he changed his mind about it and got mad at me. Or maybe, he-“

“Stop second thinking yourself!” Sojin shouted, shaking Ariel’s shoulders. “Chanyeol is most likely busy right now. He's an idol too.”

“Yeah yeah yeah. You’re right. He’s just busy right now. He’ll call me later.”

“Ariel Choi?” A slightly familiar voice called out. 

The two girls looked up and saw a man, around his mid twenties, walking up to them. “Ariel Choi?” He asked again, not knowing which one is which. 

Ariel raised her hand as her and Sojin stood up together. “I’m Ariel.”

The man raised his hand out for a handshake for Ariel which she complied to and did the same for Sojin. “I’m Josh Park, Daniel’s friend.”

“Oh, you’re a guide for this?” Ariel questioned. 

Josh nodded his head. “Yep, I helped organized this program and I ended up becoming one of the guides.”

Sojin nudged Ariel slightly and whispered to her. “He’s cute.”

Josh, who heard the compliment, chuckled. “Thank you. But I don’t swing for girls.”

Sojin stared at him, not fully understanding his sentence since her English isn’t exactly good. 

Ariel contained her giggle as she whispered into Sojin’s ears. “He’s gay.” Sojin nodded her head, now understanding his words. 

“I’ve kept you girls waiting for too long. Let’s start the tour. If we finish early, we can get lunch early!” Josh went behind the girls and rushed them outside. Since they were in California, the weather was extremely nice and warm today whereas in Seoul, they would be needing at least two jackets on to keep warm. The girls were embracing the warm weather and wore light clothing. 

Josh walked in front of them and faced them. “This is obviously the auditorium, Wheeler Auditorium.” He mentioned, presenting his arms forward. “We have a few more auditoriums but the rest are in use for play rehearsals.” They proceeded with the tour. After a few minutes of walking, they stopped in front of a large, boxed building.

“This is one of the libraries.” He motioned his arm in front of the building they were standing at. “Just like the auditorium, there are more libraries but this is the media resources center. So you would mostly use this library for your classes regarding media studies.” They continued to walk around more and stopped at a modern looking building. 

 

“This is one of the campus dorms.”

More walking and small talking points about the main interests of the campus were mentioned. After about one and thirty minutes of walking around the campus, they were finally done with the tour. Just like Josh mentioned earlier before the tour started, they finished the tour early and went to lunch together. Since Ariel nor Sojin weren’t really familiar with the area, Josh offered to take them to one his favorite restaurants, considering they were going to meet up with Daniel who tagged along with them to California but wasn’t able to make it to the tour portion.

Everyone arrived at a Vietnamese restaurant, which was somewhat crowded since it was lunch time. The four sat down by a table near the window, they ordered their food and talked as they waited for everything. Daniel, Josh, and Sojin were talking about, well something, Ariel was too busy staring at her phone. She was waiting for Chanyeol to message her or call her but nothing popped up. If he was coming back from a schedule, he wo

Please log in to read the full chapter