seventeen.

That YouTube Girl
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Are you sure you want to sing this song? She has a different range than you.” DaeHyun questioned. 

Ariel nodded her hand as she stood inside the recording booth. “I like the song and the artist. She’s my idol.”

Ariel could hear the tiring sigh from DaeHyun, who was annoyed with her by not hitting all the high notes without cracking her voice. “Run through the song one more time out here.”

Ariel took off her headphones, grabbed the lyric sheets from the stand and walked out of the recording booth. She sat down on one of the computer chairs which was in front of the audio panel.

DaeHyun leaned forward on the panel with his elbows resting on the edge. “Go over the song a few more times.” He stood up from his seat and ruffled his hair from tiredness. “Meanwhile, I’m gonna get 5 cups of coffee.”

Ariel quietly shook her head as she read over the lyrics in her hands. “Hello my name is DaeHyun and I drink way too much coffee.” Ariel muttered under her breath.

DaeHyun popped his head out the door, “I heard that. Oh and look in that folder by the computer monitor, another song for you to record, the finale song at the concert.”

Ariel lifted her head with a puzzled expression on her face. “Finale song?” Ariel leaned over towards the computer to grab the manilla folder and found sheets of paper with neon pink highlighted parts. 

“The pink highlights are your parts. Rehearse them. We’re doing a rough recording of it tonight with everyone else.” He mentioned before walking out. 

Ariel furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. “Finale song? What is this?”

“Luhan, Chanyeol, D.O, Kai and Baekhyun, you’ve been chosen.” Exo’s manager, Hyungsik announced as he stood in front of the boys inside their dance studio.

“For what? The Hunger Games: SM Edition?” Kai asked. 

Tao immediately stood up from his spot. “I VOLUNTEER AS TRIBUTE!”

“You guys DO realize that The Hunger Games doesn’t actually involve food… Right?” Xiumin explained. 

“Oh wait really?” Tao questioned with a small frown on his face. “I thought it was about puppies and rainbows.” His voice dripping in sarcasm. 

“Anyway,” Hyungsik interrupted, “They have been chosen through a random drawing for the finale song for upcoming Japan concert. Along with 4 other girls.”

“Who are the other 4?” Luhan questioned as he wiped his forehead. 

“That, I don’t know. I was only informed about you 5 since you were chosen. Here.” Hyungsik handed out 4 stapled sheets of paper to Luhan, Chanyeol, D.O, Kai and Baekhyun. “These are for tonight. Blue is Luhan, red is Chanyeol, green is D.O, purple is Kai and orange is Baekhyun. You’ll be in the recording studio where Ariel is.” 

He turned to glance at Kai, who was flipping through the papers. “I assume you know which studio she’s in, Kai.”

Kai glanced up from his papers and nodded his head. “Yes hyung.”

“Good. After you guys are done here, head up to the studio to rehearse this piece.”

Ariel and Sojin were sitting down on the computer chairs while Yura and Eunjung sat on top of the counter which was located in the lounge area of the recording studio. 

“I can’t believe I’m stuck with YOU for this song.” Eunjung huffed indirectly at Ariel. 

Ariel didn’t seem to notice her sarcasm or anger in her tone so she just smiled at her. “Its going to be so much fun working on this project with you. A collaboration!”

Eunjung scoffed as she leaned backwards with her palms on the counter surface, positioning her body. “Yah. What is that suppose to mean?”

“Calm yourself. She’s just being nice.” Yura nonchalantly said as she read through her parts. 

Eunjung narrowed her eyes at Yura. “How am I suppose to know that? She sounded sarcastic.”

“Well maybe if you weren’t rude all the time to us, you would know what a compliment sounds like.” Sojin mumbled quietly.

Eunjung shot her eyes at Sojin, who looked away, minding her own business. Eunjung ignored her comment and carried on. “Chanyeol oppa compliments me all the time.” She added, dangling her feet from the countertop. 

Ariel’s eyes shot up and scoffed quietly.

He compliments you?

You’re probably just ‘another pretty girl.’

Ariel shook her head slightly and returned her attention to her part. DaeHyun bursted through the doors, along with 5 other young men. 

“Girlfriend!” Kai loudly greeted from the door as soon as his eyes caught sight of Ariel. 

Oh my god. 

Shut up please.

Could you be any louder?

Actually he can be. 

Ariel quickly took the stapled sheets of paper to cover her face and slowly sunk further down her chair. 

Kai walked over to her and ruffled her hair messy. “Ah-Youngie!~”

Ariel placed the papers into her lap and pried off Kai’s hands from her hair. “Okay one, don’t call me Ah-Youngie. Two, MY HAIR! Do you know how long it took me to do these curls? HEATLESS CURLS KAI!” She proceeded to slap his hands away from her. 

“Chanyeol oppa!” Eunjung shrieked, running into Chanyeol’s arms. 

Chanyeol felt Eunjung run into his body for a hug. He awkwardly patted her back. “Hey.” He gently pushed Eunjung out of his arms and greeted the others in the room. “Hey guys.”

Eunjung pouted when Chanyeol pushed her away. “Oppa~”

Chanyeol didn’t answer her, and just sat down over on the black leather couch in the back. His eyes naturally landed on Ariel. That should be me. Not Kai, he thought to himself. 

“Everyone,” DaeHyun said in a louder volume to grab everyone’s attention. “I’m assuming everyone got their parts? Correct?”

Everyone in the room responded by saying yes. 

“Oh DaeHyun oppa.” Eunjung called. She reached into her bag and brought out the pieces of paper with the lyrics for the finale song. “I think you made an mistake.”

DaeHyun eyed at the papers and then narrowed his eyes at Eunjung. “I don’t make mistakes. If I did, I wouldn’t be here.”

Eunjung waved the pieces of papers in his face. “But I think you did.”

“Whats the mistake?” DaeHyun questioned as he snatched the papers out of her hands to scanned the parts he gave out to everyone. “Its correct.”

Eunjung laughed sheepishly. “But you only gave me one line. You gave me a singing part.” She pointed on the paper. “I’m a rapper. Not a singer.”

DaeHyun looked at her with a blank expression and handed her the papers back. “Thats not a mistake. I gave the other part to Ariel.”

Ariel’s eyes widen. “Wait. What? Time out. Pause. Flag on the play.” Ariel scrambled through her set of papers until she found the part they were talking about.

Eunjung exhaled a sharp breath. “You gave Ariel my part?”

“Oh sweetie. It was never your part to begin with. I think Ariel has good potential as a rapper.”

“I CAN BARELY FREESTYLE.” Ariel cried, “WHO DO YOU THINK I AM? THE ASIAN NICKI MINAJ?!”

“Singer, dancer, and a rapper? My girlfriend’s a triple threat.” Kai cooed as he caressed Ariel’s cheek. 

Ariel glared at Kai. “I wasn’t lying when I said I’ll bite you.”

“Anyway.. But sorry Eunjung. I gave all the rapping parts to Ariel and Chanyeol.” DaeHyun apologized. “The plan for tonight, just going through the song in the studio for a rough recording so we know what areas to work on. Oh and we’re doing this song in complete English. So start brushing up on it. We’ll be doing the final recording in 2 days.”

 

The next day.

Ariel clutched onto one of the buds from her headphones as she belted out notes. Ariel only had one song out since she just debuted not too long ago. So the agency suggested, more like enforced, her to sing covers to fill up her stage time. 

“All in my head~~~~”

DaeHyun pressed a button, which cut off the music playing through her headphones. “You sound… how do you sound it in English? Peeachy. Keep the air steady.”

“I love peaches! They’re so sweet and delicious. God, I could go for some peaches right now!”

“Ariel?”

“Yes DaeHyun?”

“I said peeachy.”

“Yeah, peeachy as in peaches. The fruit.”

“Ya-yah! Just keep singing.” DaeHyun turned his face away slightly and sighed as he rubbed his temples. “Aish, this girl and peaches.”

After numerous attempts, the perfectionist, DaeHyun, constantly stopped Ariel from finishing the song. 

“Too peeachy.”

“Now you sound flat, like Megan’s chest.”

Cue Megan throwing crumpled paper balls at him. 

“Are you a robot or naw?”

“SING WITH EMOTIONS!” He hits his chest around his heart area. 

IF I HEAR ANOTHER SNARKY COMMENT FROM YOU ONE MORE TIME, I WILL PERSONALLY SHOVE THIS MIC UP YOUR A-

“Too much emotions Ariel.” DaeHyun snobs sarcastically. “Stop. I might need kleenex for this.”

Thats it!

Ariel grabbed a hold of the microphone which was placed tightly on the stand. She it back slightly, but before Ariel could react, Megan’s voice could be heard through her headphones. 

“PUT THE MIC DOWN.”

“Make me!” Ariel shot back and stuck her tongue out. 

“Do you remember that makeup store you like?! Crystal?”

Ariel nodded her head.

“They have 40% off their skin care products. I’ll take you.. As long as you put the microphone back and not harm DaeHyun.”

Ariel pouted quietly and placed the microphone back to where it was. Then she walked out of the recording booth to meet DaeHyun and Megan. “You’re giving me money to buy what I want.” She huffed.

“Can you ladies stop gossiping about the latest deals? I feel like I’m on Extreme Couponing.” DaeHyun nagged. 

“My aunt was on that show! She bought $1200 worth of groceries, paid only $50 and broke 5 registers!” Ariel chimed as she drifted away from the topic. 

DaeHyun sighed, with an obvious irritated expression on his face. “Ariel.. Stop with the blabbering. Its not cute.”

Ariel mimicked DaeHyun’s comment. “Some boys DO find it cute.”

“Find what cute?” A sudden voice asked. 

Ariel whipped her head to wherever the direction of the voice.

Chanyeol.

“Are you lost?” Ariel asked with a brow raised. “Well, I’m not Dora the Explorer. So go find yourself a map.” Ariel retorted, showing no interest to his sudden appearance

Please log in to read the full chapter