twenty four.

That YouTube Girl
Please log in to read the full chapter

“So tell me exactly how you got here.” Ariel asked Daniel as she played with the straw in her coffee. They were sitting inside a cafe which was located inside the stadium’s building. “I haven’t seen you since I was 16.”

Daniel sipped his coffee. “Ah, 16. When you were such an ambitious girl trying to do big things in life. Look at you now. So grown.” He beamed as he reached over to pinch Ariel’s cheeks. 

“I’m basically an adult now, I’m 19.” Ariel pushed Daniel’s hand away from her face. “Why are you here?”

Daniel ignored her question with another question. “So where’s Momma Choi? I miss her famous kimchi stew.”

Ariel stopped playing with her drink. She started to fidget with her hands on the table. “Daniel, I have some bad news to tell you.”

“What is it?” He sensed a hint of gloom in her voice. 

“Mom had cancer which she didn’t tell any of us and she passed away yesterday.

“Are you okay?” He asked which surprised Ariel.

“I should be asking you that.” Ariel muttered. 

“I know how it feels like when your mom passes away. I was a wreck.” Daniel paused to glance at Ariel who was avoiding eye contact with him. “Are you and Luke okay?”

“I have no idea how Luke is doing. I found out last night after I got to Japan. I had to find out through a phone call.”

Daniel reached out for Ariel’s hand and squeezed it for comfort. “Ariel..”

Ariel used her other hand to wipe her eyes because she was starting to get teary eyed. “And to answer your question, I’m completely, a hundred percent.. not okay.”

Daniel stayed silent as he watched his younger sister tried to stop herself from crying but it was no use because tears started to roll onto her cheeks. “I should be in Korea right now with my mom. But no here I am in Japan, working.” Daniel grabbed some napkins from a dispenser on the table and handed them to Ariel. She took them and began wiping her face. She finally lifted her head up from looking down at her lap, only to make eye contact with a person who was walking in. 

Park Chanyeol.

Ariel immediately covered her face by looking at her lap again, hoping Chanyeol would get the idea that she doesn’t want to talk to him right now

Daniel noticed Ariel’s behavior and looked around the cafe to see a towering young man approaching the cash register. He observed Chanyeol who would sneak glances at Ariel. All Daniel can think is, why is he looking at Ariel? The way he’s looking at her… he’s worried. 

“Whose that guy?” Daniel asked honestly. “Is that your boyfriend I always hear about?”

"Me and Kai aren't together anymore." Her words trailed off when she slowly looked up to what Daniel was referring to. 

I don't even want to think or talk about Chanyeol after last night.

"He keeps looking at you." Daniel tilted his head because of her answer. “Then who is he?”

“Just a friend.” Ariel mumbled quietly. 

Daniel raised a brow at Ariel’s answer and he smirked because he knows there has to be history between this guy and her. “You’re lying.” He nudged Ariel’s arm. “Come on, tell your brother from another mother.”

The corners of Ariel’s mouth lifted up slightly from Daniel's joke. “You really want to know?”

“I just said to tell me didn’t I?”

Ariel scanned the area to see where Chanyeol was. He was gone. 

“We had something I guess you can say that.”

“Something?” He repeated with his brow raised. “Something as in you both like each other but won’t admit it?”

“Ha, you are totes hilarious Daniel.”

Daniel pretended to flip his invisible hair. “Well does he like you?”

“I don’t know.”

“How do you not know?”

“Because I just don’t okay."

Daniel leaned back in his seat. He put two and two together and came to realize it. "You like him." 

Ariel sighed from being so tired. “Can we just drop the topic? I have a long day tomorrow.”

Daniel patted Ariel’s shoulder. “Fine. But we will talk about this later. You can’t just run away from your problems.”

“Yes I can.” She muttered. “Anyway, are you coming tomorrow night? Luke isn’t coming anymore.”

Daniel reached into his pocket and took out a laminated VIP pass and a ticket. “Of course I’m coming. We may be half siblings but you’re family.” He puts away the pass and the ticket. “Speaking of family, where’s dad?”

“In a ditch.”

Daniel widen his eyes from her response. “Ariel you still hate him?”

“My hate for him doesn’t expire.” Ariel drank her coffee. 

Later that night - 8:32PM

Ariel returned to her dressing room for peace and quiet after meeting with Daniel because he had to go back to his station to finish some tasks that were due tomorrow so he could attend the concert. Instead of watching the others practicing, she stayed in her dressing room. She kept herself away from the craziness as she lounged on the small sofa in the room and played 2048 on her phone. A game she was determined to beat because she always reached 1024 tile, but always died before she could even combine the tiles. 

“No I died again?!?” Ariel ruffled her messy side braid in frustration. She was going to win this game. She continued playing the game, combining numbers and even achieved the 1024 tile again. “Okay, just move the 512 tile right there and..” The try again screen appeared along with an irritated Ariel who threw her phone on her lap. “Stupid game. Why did Sojin show me this?!”

Knock knock

Ariel’s head turned towards the direction of the door. “The door’s unlocked.”

Chanyeol’s head popped through the door crack. “Hey, if you’re not busy right now, we can go practice our song together. There’s a room available for us.”

“I am very busy right now.” Ariel huffed out quickly to avoid the awkwardness with him. 

“Doing what?” He asked as he took a step inside. He chuckled once he saw the try again screen on her phone. “Too busy playing 2048?”

Ariel immediately flipped her phone so the screen wouldn’t be shown. “No..”

Chanyeol eyed Ariel. “Come on Ariel. We need to practice for your song.” He approached closer to Ariel and dragged her out of the room to the practice room. 

When they arrived, he flipped the switch on and stepped inside with Ariel. “We only have 15 minutes until the rest show up to practice our finale song.”

Ariel nodded her head. She pulled two chairs from the side and placed them in the middle of the room to begin the impromptu rehearsal. 

Chanyeol sat down on one of the chairs as he took off the guitar case from his back. He began to take his guitar out of the case and took a few water bottles from the sides. “Here.” He handed Ariel a water bottle. 

“Thanks.” She said and opened the bottle to take a sip of it as she walked around the room. 

“Ariel, we should talk.”

“About what?” She questioned. She felt her cheeks burning from embarrassment about last night. 

Chanyeol couldn’t even start his sentence. He was cut off when Sojin, Baekhyun, Eunjung, and Kai arrived early for their finale song rehearsal. 

“What are you guys doing here?” Sojin asked curiously. Sojin didn’t think Ariel and Chanyeol would be here this early, alone. 

Eunjung scowled at Ariel, waiting for her answer. Meanwhile Kai stared at Ariel who was alone with Chanyeol. 

“We were just going to practice our song together for tomorrow.” Ariel answered. 

The scowl from Eunjung’s face disappeared. She nonchalantly walked over and sat next to Chanyeol. 

“When are the others showing up?” Chanyeol asked Baekhyun. 

“They’ll be here soon.”

Sojin walked over to Ariel who was blankly standing around as the others chatted amongst themselves. “Are you okay?”

A small but tired smile appeared on Ariel’s face. “I’m trying to be when everything is spiraling out of control.” Ariel walked towards the wall, turned around, and slid down to sit on the floor. 

Sojin followed Ariel and sat next to her. “Whats wrong now?”

“You all just saved me from an ocean filled with awkwardness.”

Sojin glanced at Chanyeol who was busy placing his guitar back into his case since him and Ariel were not going to be able to practice together. “He said he wanted to talk to me.”

“About?” Sojin teased with a playful grin plastered on her face. 

Ariel ignored her comment. “I do not want to confront that situation yet.”

“You can’t just deny your feelings Ariel nor run away from it.”

“Yes I can. I might not be the best runner but I can walk fast!”

Sojin chuckled. “Its going to run back to you. You can’t hide all of your problems forever.”

“Yes I can.” Ariel said as she took another sip of water before she placed it on the floor. Ariel began walking away from where they were standing to be with everyone else in the room. 

She followed Ariel to where everyone was gathered. “You can’t just hide everything. Its going to explode in your face one day.” Sojin reminded. 

No it won’t. 

I’m good at hiding things.

Next day - Concert | 15 minutes before Ariel’s set. 

“You’ll do fine baby sis.” Daniel cooed, trying to calm Ariel down from her nerves. She only had about 20 minutes left until she has to step on stage to perform The Next Day. After that there’s the dance battle with her and Darling, then she has to sing two more songs and she is done. 

“I only allow Luke to call me that.” She joked as she moved Daniel’s hand away from her face. “Are you coming to the after party tonight?” Hair and makeup coordinators immediately ran up to her so they could finish preparing Ariel. 

“No I’m not. I have to go straight back after your part.”

Ariel pouted. “So you’re not going to turn up with me?” She playfully added. “But we’re party buddies.”

“Says the girl who has never been to a high school party in her life.” He retorted which made him receive a glare from Ariel. “I should let you prepare yourself. I’m going to my seat.” He leaned in to give Ariel a comforting hug. “Good luck and please don’t break your leg.”

Ariel shook her head at his words. “The expression is break a leg.”

“I know!” He shouted as he left the backstage area to the stadium area. "You're just that clumsy!"

“Such a weirdo I swear..” She said quietly to herself. The coordinators finished touching up her hair and makeup and proceeded to help others. Until the director cued her to go on stage, she waited backstage as she watched TTS performing. She was singing Holler along with them, even slightly doing the song’s signature dance. 

“Holler!” A voice shouted, at the same time TTS sang the same word. 

Ariel was surprised from the sudden voice, she turned around with her hand over her chest. 

“Did I scare you?” 

“Barely.” She nonchalantly answered. 

“So when do you go on?” Chanyeol asked as he stood next to her.

“The song after this.”

“Are you scared? Nervous?”

“Not really.” Ariel responded, trying to keep the conversation short as possible. 

Chanyeol nodded his head at her answer. “Are you going to the party afterwards?”

Ariel responded by nodding her head. 

“Oh.. I’ll be there too.”

“Thats nice.”

“Well um,” Chanyeol scratched his head. “I wish you luck out there. And I’ll see you in a few for our collaboration.”

“Thanks.” Ariel said, keeping her eyes forward until Chanyeol actually left the area for her to look around. She glanced around once she realized he left and sighed as if she’s been holding her breath. 

“Boo ya!”

Ariel furrowed her brows at Sojin who tried to scare her but it obviously didn’t work. 

“What are you doing?”

“I just wanted to say good luck to my friend.” She pouted as if Ariel didn’t appreciate her but really Ariel does. 

“Thanks. Good luck to you too. We all know whose winning the dance battle.”

“You.” Sojin answered. “I know. Eunjung thinks she’s going to win automatically because of her experience.” She leaned into Ariel, “But really you’re kinda better than her.”

Ariel flips her hair. “Thanks I try.” She chuckled. 

“So are you ready for the party tonight?” Sojin excitedly asked. 

“Barely.” She muttered. 

“Why not? I hear these parties are really big for the artists. Its a way for us to let loose if I may say so.”

Ariel shook her head at Sojin. “You need to get ready, you know that right?”

“Ah, you’re right!” Sojin quickly hugged Ariel, “Good luck. Don’t die out there, I still need you for tonight.” She pulled away first and ran off to her dressing room. 

The director, who was standing outside the stage entrance, walked up to Ariel. “Ariel, go ahead. I’ll cue you through your earpiece.”

Ariel looked towards the stage and realized its pitch black, meaning it was time. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xZYbPbk1ds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TZYvud_ngY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTrb92wmLTU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA2nhh_I6Dk

(Darling's) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsVtY-7YN-s

After Ariel’s full stage, she felt relieved. She walked to the backstage area only to meet Daniel waiting for a hug with a bouquet of peonies. 

“You did great!” Daniel complimented, pulling Ariel for a warm embrace. “You’re an amazing singer.”

“Says the loser himself.” Ariel giggled. “You’re better than me shut up.” She pulled away from Daniel’s embrace. 

“I’m not into the whole singing thing anymore. I’m fine writing songs.” He grinned happily. He held out the bouquet of her favorite flowers, peonies. “For you Miss Ariel.” 

Ariel held onto them as she examined the petals of each flower. “Wish you were coming tonight idiot. Dad’s going to bother me all night.”

“Bother him back.” Daniel smirked. “I have to go now.”

Ariel lowered her hand that was holding onto the bouquet. “Already?”

“Yeah, I have to finish up my duties.” Daniel pu

Please log in to read the full chapter