twenty five.

That YouTube Girl
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Hi guys, I just wanted to say I am completely sorry for the lack of videos and vlogs.” Ariel gently held onto her vlogging camera as she sat down on her uncle’s couch since she just came back from Japan a week ago. The funeral and grieving process tired her out to the max. “Also, I would like to thank everyone for supporting my family and I as we are going through a very rough time. If you follow me on Twitter or Instagram, you should know what happened when I was away for my company’s concert. For those who don’t know; recently, my mom has passed away due to a rare case of cancer.” Ariel glanced up from the lens to see Luke joining her on the couch, but out of the camera shot. “Thank you so much for all your love and support as my family are coping.” Ariel glanced one more time but only at the door, expecting someone. “This is it for this vlog. I just wanted to update you guys on how I am. I will make sure to leave a link to footages of my stages from the concert. Bye beauties!” Ariel waved goodbye with a cheery smile on her face. 

“What time is it?” Luke asked with a playful grin as he kept his eyes on the television. 

Ariel placed her camera onto the coffee table and began taking the SD card out to plug into her laptop. “Party time?”

Luke turned his head to Ariel with a blank face. “No its editing time human.”

Ariel shook her head and chuckled at her brother’s joke. She began editing her vlog until she asked Luke a question, “Whens Daniel coming back with the pizza?”

Luke checked his watch. “Should be coming back soon.”

After Ariel came back from Japan the next morning after the party, funeral procedures had begun. The funeral consisted of tears and ‘sorry for your loss’ flowers. Ariel and Luke accepted their mother’s loss, and moved on to the next chapter of their life; knowing their mom wouldn’t want them to dwell on her death forever. Sojin arrived at the funeral to comfort her friend which Ariel was thankful for because she didn’t want to surround herself around people who would only remind her of her mom. She wasn’t even shocked nor surprised that her donor of a father didn’t come to say his goodbyes. He already said his goodbyes to her mother years ago when they split up. Mr. Lee Soo Man gave Ariel a week off and halted her schedules to be with her family. 

As for Chanyeol, Ariel didn’t see much of him lately. Her flight back was early in the morning whereas Chanyeol left Japan to go to China for Exo’s other schedules. They haven’t talked lately since their last encounter except when he sent her a message saying he was sorry for her loss and that he wasn’t able to come to the funeral. Ariel didn’t reply to him because it wasn’t appropriate of her to reply to a text message as she was in the funeral home at the time and Chanyeol understood her lack of replies since her focus was primarily on her family. 

After the funeral, Uncle Jay and his girlfriend, Ara, departed for Malibu so they can do paperwork about Ms. Choi’s house and other belongings; as Luke and Ariel didn’t feel comfortable rummaging through family memories, Uncle Jay volunteered along with Ara. 

The sound of snapping fingers caught Ariel’s attention. “Huh?” Her head turned to the direction where Luke was.

Ariel was so immersed into editing that she didn’t even realize Daniel arrived with their dinner. “Oh.”

“Come and eat. Put the laptop away.” Daniel ordered. He walked over to the coffee table and placed the pizza boxes on the surface. 

Ariel nodded her head and returned her attention to her laptop. “Let me just finish this one thing and I’ll-“

Daniel stood in front of Ariel; he tightly closed her laptop and took it away from her as he gestured his head to the food. “Eat. We’re going to bond with each other baby sister.”

Ariel pouted at Daniel’s actions and mumbled to herself as she sat on the floor, “Taking my laptop away for no reason.”

Daniel returned after he put Ariel’s laptop away and shoots her a ‘I heard that’ look.

Luke took a warm slice of pizza and began to admire the perfect slice, “I thought we were going to bond, not shoot glares at each other baby sister.”

“Why do we need to bond? We’re close enough already.” Ariel stated.

Luke dramatically held his hand up to his chest. “Ouch sis, that hurt.”

Ariel grinned at Luke’s behavior. “We are close. What is there more to talk about?” She quietly asked as she took a slice of cheese pizza. 

Daniel took a seat next to Luke, where Ariel was in front of them. He grabbed a slice and began to eat it. “Oh you didn’t forget about the talk we’re suppose to have, did you?”

Luke almost choked on his pizza when he was chewing. “Talk?” He asked, looking at Luke. Then he turned to Ariel. “WHAT TALK?! Please tell me its not about-“

“God no Luke. I’m still a .” Ariel said monotonously. 

Daniel smirked at Ariel’s comment. He placed his half eaten pizza back in the pizza box and stared at Ariel with a curious look. 

“What?” She asked when she felt a stare and continued eating her pizza. 

Daniel crossed his arms but maintained his blank expression. “Say Ariel, are your lips still a ?”

Ariel almost choked on her food. Almost. But she maintained herself and kept acting cool. “I think thats a personal matter Daniel.”

Daniel leaned forward and rested his arms on the coffee table. He turned his attention to Luke. “Luke, I think our baby sister finally had her first kiss.”

Luke’s eyes widened from the news. “WHAT? WHO?!”

Ariel dropped her pizza onto the pizza box. “Is this the sibling bonding you wanted guys?”

Daniel and Luke both nodded their heads at her obvious question. 

Ariel wiped her hands together. “Well then, no my lips are still a .” She secretly hoped they would buy her lie; because if they didn’t, it would be a chaos just trying to explain it to her two overly protected brothers. 

Luke glanced at Daniel and returned his eyes to Ariel. “Liar.” He smirked. 

Ariel sighed heavily and rolled her eyes. Oh god here we go. They’re going to give me the talk… when I’m 19 years old.

“How do you know?”

Daniel chuckled slightly. “Because I’m Daniel.”

Ariel sighed deeply. “Go ahead. Interrogate me.” 

Luke and Daniel exchanged glances with each other to see who would speak first; Daniel gestured his hand for Luke to begin. 

Luke cleared his throat before speaking, “Who kissed you? Kai?”

Ariel drew invisible circles on the glass surface of the coffee table. “Kai and me aren’t together anymore.”

“Then who?” Luke asked again. 

Daniel slowly leaned in closer. “Don’t tell me it was that guy.. Chanyeol?”

Luke tilted his head when Daniel mentions this. “Park Chanyeol?”

Ariel kept her eyes down, not wanting to look at her brothers in the eye. “Um..”

“Chanyeol kissed you?!” Daniel questioned, emphasizing on the word kissed. 

Ariel nodded her head. “Yeah..”

“So you like him?” Daniel asked, remembering their conversation when they were sitting in the cafe. 

Ariel felt her cheeks turning red from his sudden question. “My throat’s really dehydrated. I think I could use some water.” She stood up from her spot and eyed her brothers. “Water? Water.” She answered for them, trying to escape the awkward conversation with her brothers. Ariel walked into the kitchen and opened the fridge for any kind of fruit juice. She found a container and grabbed ahold of it then placed it on top of the kitchen island. She went to the kitchen cabinets and took out three glasses. Then Ariel’s phone started vibrating; she took her phone out of her back pocket and stared at the screen. It was Megan calling.. odd. 

“Hi Megs.. strange of you to call.” 

Ariel could hear Megan chuckling on the other line. “I know, your father asked me to relay a message to you.”

“What is it?” Ariel asked bluntly.

“He said he forgot to mention it to you at the party but he needs the song you’re writing to be done soon.”

That must’ve been the ‘great news’ he was suppose to tell me..

“Why? For all I know, the song was going to be for my comeback; which isn’t going to happen for awhile.”

“That is where you’re wrong dear. The company is preparing a comeback soon after you get that song turned in.”

Ariel sighed heavily. “Is that it? Just finish writing the song?”

Your nonexistent song. 

“Basically. Well Ariel, I’ll let you go. I hope you’re okay with everything.” 

The corners of Ariel’s mouth lifted up from Megan’s comfort. “Thanks.”

The call ended and Ariel placed her phone back into her pocket. She held one of the glass cups and walked over to the fridge to get some ice; only to see that her phone vibrated again. Not even bothering to check the caller id since she was occupied putting ice into the cup, she accepted the call. 

“Hello?” 

“Ariel?”

Ariel turned around from the fridge with the glass in her hand and quickly placed it on the counter. “Chanyeol? Why are you calling me?”

“I just wanted to check up on you. See how you were holding up with everything.” Chanyeol informed. 

Ariel could hear a slight chuckle from Chanyeol’s response. “I’m coping well.” She answered, putting ice into the other cups. “Hows China?”

“China’s china. Schedules back and forth. Pretty tired.”

Ariel nodded her head even though Chanyeol can’t see that. “What time is it there?”

“About 10pm.”

“If you’re tired from your schedule, shouldn’t you go to bed?”

Chanyeol sighed through the phone. “I could. But I wanted to check on you and hear your voice.”

Ariel snickered from the cheesy line. “Nice line. Have you tried it out on other girls?”

“No, you’re the only one right now.”

“Yah.” Ariel said, her cheeks burning red from her feelings. 

“Ariel! Where are the drinks?” Daniel shouted from the living room. “We’re not done talking so get your back here!” Luke added on. 

Ariel let out a sharp breath and returned her attention to the call. “I have to go. I’m eating dinner right now.”

“I’ll see you.. whenever I get back?”

Without noticing, a smile appeared on her face for the first time since she came back. “I’d like that.”

They hung up the call. She shook her head, she carefully held on each cups and walked slowly into the living room. 

“Is fruit punch okay?” Ariel placed the glasses on the coffee table and sat down in front of her brothers. 

“We’re not done talking.” Daniel reminded as he took a glass and took a sip. He placed the glass down. “Our baby sister had her first kiss. We must know everything.”

Daniel nodded his head, agreeing with Luke. “Everything as in his background, financial status and his future plans in life.”

Ariel sighed heavily, knowing this was going to be a very long dinner of informing her two older brothers. 

Vlog is uploaded. Okay Ariel, time to write a song. 

Ariel was sitting on her bed in her room which used to be the guest room, but Ariel basically lived here now. She cracked her knuckles and her neck, preparing herself for long hours of scribbling and pressing random keys onto the electric piano. Ariel took it upon herself to sneak into her uncle’s room and borrow some of his equipment even though he clearly said not to enter without his permission. Ariel sat down, indian style, on her bed and thought about her composition skills. 

Writing skills = 0%

Creativity = 100% (Ariel is a Youtuber after all)

Good at expressing emotions through words? = -100%

Ariel sighed and ran a hand through her hair in frustration. “What to write about?” She shifted her sitting position to where she was hugging her knees and let her chin rest on them. “I can write about love?”

Only one person popped into mind but writing a song directly about him is a little… crazy. They weren’t even dating yet nor was she ready to date anyone. Ariel doesn’t feel right dating someone when her mom passed. At least thats what she kept telling herself. 

“Uh… I can write a song about partying with your friends?” 

Turn up?

Ariel shook her head. “No no, I don’t even party for heavens’ sake.”

Knock knock

Ariel glanced towards her door to see Daniel poking his head into her room with a plate of cheesecake. “Hi baby sister. Can I come in? Luke went out with a girl.”

Ariel gestured her hands for Daniel to sit with her. He handed her the plate in his hands and began eating it with her. “So I guess Luke is really interested in Yuji…” Ariel said to herself. 

Daniel looked up from the plate the two were sharing. “Yuji?”

“She’s a very nice and pretty girl. I like her.”

Daniel furrowed his brows at the news of his younger half brother.. dating? 

“I know its a shocker.” Ariel giggled as she took a bite of the cheesecake. “They’re coworkers if you’re wondering.”

“That sly little guy.” Daniel commented. He caught sight of a notebook in front of Ariel. “Writing a song? You don’t like composing though.” Daniel could take context clues when he saw the electric piano laying on her bed. 

“Yeah I don’t, but its going to be for my fans. Something personal, from the heart.”

Daniel puts down the fork in his hand and reached over to look at her notebook. He flipped through the pages, seeing if there was anything but there wasn’t. “Uh Ariel.. There’s nothing.”

Ariel sighed and played around with the cheesecake. “I know. I don’t know exactly where to start.”

“Then why didn’t you ask your handsome brother?”

Ariel snorted at his arrogant compliment. She grabbed her notebook and placed it beside her. “Because Daniel I want to do it myself. Maybe I’ll ask you later.” 

Ariel felt the slight change of mood in the room; sensing there was something Daniel wanted to talk about. “Is there something you want to talk about?”

“Yes.” He said, he took the plate and placed it down on the ground. “I want to talk to you about Chanyeol.”

“I don’t need to hear the talk again Daniel.” Ariel stated as a matter of fact. Talking about the birds and the bees with the opposite is not a very fun thing to do. 

Daniel lightly smacked Ariel’s forehead. “Not that idiot.”

Ariel held a hand up to her forehead. “Not like I’m in pain or anything Daniel!”

Daniel chose to ignore Ariel’s complaint and continued speaking, “So you and Chanyeol like each other correct?”

Ariel nodded her head as her hand was still massaging her forehead from the slight pain. 

“Why aren’t you two dating then?”

Her hand fell onto her lap and sighed heavily. “Mom just died. It wouldn’t be right if I dated him right now.”

Daniel cocked his head to the side slightly. “You’re lying. I know you are.”

Ariel rubbed her arms and ignored eye contact with Daniel. “Its the truth. What more do you want to know?”

Daniel nudged Ariel’s shoulders. “The truth.”

Ariel closed her eyes, took a deep breath and reopened her eyes to give Daniel a tired expression. “Honestly, I’m scared.”

“Of what?”

“A relationship.” 

“Why?”

Ariel bit her lip nervously and continued speaking. “I dated one Exo member, if I date another one… I’m literally toast.”

“Go on.”

Ariel sighed and scratched her head. “Well, some fans are supportive of whoever they date. But some aren’t.” She paused to glance at Daniel who was still listening to her words. “Fans do crazy actions Daniel.”

“Ariel,” Daniel called, interrupting her explanation. He saw Ariel look up at him with questionable eyes. “thats not the real reason. I want the truth.”

Ariel blinked at Daniel’s statement. She pouted in frustration since she got caught again by Daniel’s stupid older brother intuition. 

“You and your stupid six sense.” She huffed out and repositioned her sitting position. “I’m scared about being in a relationship. There, happy now?”

Daniel scooted closer to Ariel and patted her shoulder. “I can’t be happy right now. You’re scared about a possible relationship. Why would I be happy about that?”

Ariel fell back onto her bed and stared at the ceiling. “What do I do?”

“Don’t let the fear of what could happen, make nothing happen.” Daniel stood up from his position. “Well Ariel, I need to go to bed. I need to finish up some errands tomorrow.” Daniel announced and Ariel knew what he was talking about; he just didn’t want to say it was about her mom because it could bring more sorrow into her mind. “I wish you luck on writing. Don’t stay up too late.” Daniel bid his goodnight to her and left Ariel sitting on her bed, looking at her lap. Her phone started vibrating on her nightstand, signifying an incoming call. Ariel reached over for her phone and stared at the caller id. She grinned to herself and accepted the call. 

“Hello?”

“Hey.” It was Chanyeol calling her. 

“Why are you calling?” Ariel pulled her phone away from her face to check the time and returned it to her ear. “Its 12:32am over here. Go to bed.”

“I can’t sleep.” He mumbled on the phone. 

“What do you want me to do?”

“I just wanted to hear your voice so goodnight beautiful~”

Ariel snorted at his response then stared at her phone as he ended the call. She threw her phone to the side of her and fell back onto her bed. “Why am I scared?”

“Yah wake up.” Ariel demanded, she threw off the covers from Luke’s body as he was sleeping on the couch. Luke’s eyes fluttered opened tiredly and began to rub his eyes. “Why did you wake me up?”

“Well good morning to you too.” Ariel sat down on the lounge chair near the couch and crossed her arms. “I need you to take me to SM.”

Luke reached out for his phone which was laying on the coffee table. He unlocked his phone to check for any messages and such then he placed his phone on his chest. “Ariel, its 9:30 in the morning. Why do you need to go?”

“I need to work on something.”

He questioned with a groggy tone. “Work? What happened to resting for a little bit before resuming your activities?”

Ariel sighed. “Well, I have a deadline to meet.” She explained as she stood up, held onto Luke’s wrist and having to drag him out of the couch. “Come on sleepy. I need to go~”

“Why don’t you ask Daniel? I’m tired.”

“Someone was out late with Yuji..” Ariel pressed her lips into a thin line when she saw Luke glaring at her. “Besides, Daniel is out so sadly you’re my only option.”

 “He’s not your only option Ah-Young.” A voice called out from the hallway. 

The two siblings shoot their heads to the direction of the voice, a little stunned to see their uncle at home when they weren’t suppose to be back for another day. 

Ariel stood up from the lounge chair and ran over to Uncle Jay to give him a welcoming hug. “What are you doing here so early?” She asked as soon as the hug was broken. 

Uncle Jay was straightening out his white dress shirt. “Ara and I got everything situated back in Malibu so we decided to come back early.”

Luke gained enough energy to haul himself out off the couch to join the two. “So everything is taken care of?”

Uncle Jay smiled as he nodded his head. “Aunt Sara is living in your house with rent.”

“At least its not a random stranger.

Please log in to read the full chapter