Prologue

The Dark Knight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~Prologue~

 

Five Years Later (Age 13)

Finally! Home sweet home! Ji Hyun shrieked in her head as she ran towards her room at the top of the stairs. Swiftly, she opened the door and abruptly dropped down her designer black leather Gucci bag on her black sheeted bed. Five years felt like forever.

 

Smiling, she walked over to her desk, reaching for the cold, dusty, silver handle on the drawer. It creaked loudly as she opened it, making her cringe at the screeching sound. Inside she took a photo of her and the boy, sitting together on the green grass, the sunset leaving yellow streaks of light on the side as the two kids held hands with the girl’s little head leaning on the boy’s shoulder.

 

Ji Hyun smiled at the photo of her last memory with him. How come I forgot your name so easily? Ji Hyun sighed as she sat down on the wheeled, leather chair beside her desk. Tilting her head, she positioned her elbow on the desk, placing her head on the palms of her hand. Crybaby… Ji Hyun giggled as the thought passed by her. I remember him always calling me a crybaby for crying too much whenever my parents scold me.

 

“Ji Hyun-ah! You’re father and I are going to the company! We’ll be home late!” her mother bellowed after slamming the front door behind her.

 

The girl’s eyes widened after hearing her mother. She knew this was her chance to finally meet with him again. Doesn’t hurt to visit an old friend right? She smiled, immediately standing up from her chair.

Before she left, Ji Hyun clenched her locket, closing her eyes shut as her other hand held onto her bedroom door. Please remember me. She pleaded in her thoughts.

 

One block and a half later, she made it to her destination. Slowly, she took a step forward. Ji Hyun felt nervous, it’s been five years since she left, will he really remember her? She took a deep breath before proceeding. One foot at a time, she slowly made her way to the door then rang the doorbell.

 

Shocked, the door abruptly open wide open as a woman who looked like she was in her mid-twenties with brown hair smiled as she came out. “May I help you?”

She didn’t recall seeing a woman like her in the past before. Taken aback, she awkwardly scratched the back of her head, “I-I’m sorry.” She stuttered. “This must be a different house.”

The older woman tilted her head in confusion as her pretty smile slowly faded. She stared at Ji Hyun for a while then she smiled once more. “You must be looking for a boy who lived here, am I correct?”

Ji Hyun’s eyes widened and her cheeks began to blush. “Y-yes.” She stutteringly replied, looking down onto the ground to avoid eye contact with the woman.

“I’m sorry dear, the family who lived here before moved to Seoul not too long ago.”

Unexpectedly, her heart sank the moment she heard her, “Oh...” she said silently, almost inaudible. “Sorry to have bothered you.” Ji Hyun bowed before leaving.

“Wait!” the woman shrieked right when Ji Hyun turned her back on her. “You seem to be close with the young fellow, can you give this back to him?” she requested, holding out a red, hard covered notebook that has the words ‘Our Memories Together’ written on the center. “He must have left it when he moved, it would be such waste for a book like this didn’t go back to its owner.” She giggled.

 

This notebook… I remember it but I don’t remember what’s inside. Ji Hyun thought as she held out her hand to receive the object. Bowing once more, she left, running to her own home.

 

Reaching her destination, she excitedly opened the notebook, seeing drawings that are ruined because of… what she assumes to be tears. The ink from the book was smudged, maki

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter