Prologue

The Dark Knight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~ Prologue ~

 

Ten Years Ago (Age 8)

“I can’t believe you’re already leaving tomorrow.” The boy mumbled in a whispering tone. He stared at the ground, not giving the person beside him a glance.

 

The soft breeze of air passed by the two kids, brushing both hairs as they stayed silent the whole time. The silence felt weird to both of them but none bothered to say a word as they think of the same thing.

Two straight years of spending almost every day with each other, it was finally time for them to part ways. Knowing that one of them will leave breaks their little, fragile hearts into tiny, crushed pieces.

 

The little girl beside him broke the silence as she quietly sniffled, tears forming in her eyes, “I... can’t believe… it either…” she replied, halting between her sentences. She turned her head, facing the boy who is still staring at the greenery below, “I don’t want to leave.”

Slowly, the boy slid his hand over the girl’s, holding it tightly in his. He looked at her with his dark eyes that’s glistening from the light coming from the sun, “Ji Hyun-ah, don’t cry, okay?” he smiled sweetly, “It’s not like you’re going to be in America forever, right?”

Ji Hyun lightly nodded her head, squeezing the boy’s hand tighter. With her other hand, she wiped the remaining tears away from her face with her long, purple sleeve, “Let’s promise that in the future, when I come back, we’ll be boyfriend and girlfriend, okay?”

The boy was somewhat shocked but he continued to smile now knowing that Ji Hyun likes him back. He happily nodded his head as he lets go of his grasp of Ji Hyun’s petite hand to dig into his jean pocket. The boy took out a silver, coin-sized, vintage-looking, locket that’s rounded with whimsical spirals and floral designs with little clear diamonds in the center of every flower. “Here,” he said, shyly blushing, “It cost more than I thought it was but I bought it anyways.”

Surprised, the girl lifted her hand to receive the given necklace. She examined the beautiful object then noticed the little English word engraved in the middle that’s being surrounded by the designs. She questioningly tilted her head, “Dream?”

Snatching the necklace from Ji Hyun’s hands, the boy smiled at his friend, “You’ve always wanted to be a musician, right?” the boy reminded the girl of her wish to have a career as a professional singing idol. Ji Hyun nodded her head, “But your parents didn’t approve.” He said firmly, “When you look at this locket, remember to always follow your own dreams no matter what your parents say… and also… remember me.”

Ji Hyun nodded her head once more, understanding where he’s going with his little speech. She quietly listened to him as he continued to talk but she couldn’t help but stare at his baby-faced features while he speaks with his angelic voice. For a m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter