Staggered

Intricate Love

We arrived at the Ayala Center Mall after twenty minutes and I texted Emily where are they waiting. Daesung helped me carry the paperbags when we were walking. We entered at the Active Zone entrance and stopped by near Krispy Kreme Doughnuts. While I was waiting for Emily’s reply, Daesung went inside the Krispy Kreme and ordered. I called Sheryl but she didn’t answer the phone then my phone rang after I ended the call.

 

“Kioko, where are you?” Erika asked.

“I’m at the Active Zone. Where are you?”

“We’re inside the Casa Verde. You better start your feet and come here. We already have a table.” She answered.

“Okay, wait for me.” I hanged up the phone.

 

I waved at Daesung and he’s still in the cashier paying for his doughnuts. I get my face powder and looked myself on the mirror, checking on my hair, my make-up and my lipstick.

 

“Boo!”

 

I startled when Daesung he tried to frighten me and my face powder almost fell down. I put my face powder inside my bag and he handed me a doughnut.

 

“I hate you.” I said.

“I love you too.” He replied.

“Ahh, shut up!” I ended.

 

I started to walk and he followed me trying to catch up my pace until he’s at my right side.

 

“Where are we going?” he asked.

I didn’t answer him and kept on walking and took the escalator going up.

“I’m sorry if I frightened you.” He apologized.

“It’s alright.” I answered.

 

I started to walk when I reached the 3rd floor and turned right as I can see the restaurant right away.

 

“So, we’re going to have an early dinner.” He said.

“Actually, yes.” I confirmed. We passed through the automatic door and headed to the restaurant. But before we entered I warned Daesung, “Please don’t introduce yourself as my boyfriend.”

“Why? You don’t want me to be your boyfriend?” he was curious and he wanted me to answer it.

“I just don’t like it, okay?” I answered.

“As you wish, mademoiselle.”

 

We entered the restaurant together and the manager welcomes us. I looked around and I saw Erika waving at me with a teasing smile. I walked towards them and Daesung just followed at my back. Sheryl was showing her poker face and it’s telling me that I brought a boylet. Erika stood up and went out from the couch and she transferred to the other side where Emily and Shery were. It seems that I know sitting arrangement. Daesung let me sit first and he put the paperbag on the table and seated. I grabbed the paperbag and tried to get the chocolates and souvenirs but…

 

“Save that for later, Kioko.” Erika interrupted.

 

The faces of the three were expecting me to share about my trip. I just looked at them and smiled.

 

“Come on, Kioko. We are so excited to hear all your experience of your trip.” Sheryl spilled out.

“You better share it now Kioko or else these two will keep on pestering you.” Emily warned me.

“Alright.” I gave in every time Emily warned me “But before that guys …”

“Gosh! You’re holding our excitement Kioko. We wanna hear it.” Sheryl interrupted.

“Wow! Excited? Excited than me?” I said and we laughed. “It looks like you two were so excited to hear how ignorant I am.” They laughed at me, as well as Daesung.

 

I noticed that Daesung was a little bit awkward that we were talking as if he’s not around.

 

“Guys, I want you to meet, Daesung, my workmate in the lab.” I introduced him. I can see Erika’s eyes were locked at Daesung’s biceps. “Daesung, these are my bestfriends since college, Emily, Sheryl and …” then Erika extend her arm and she’s giving Daesung a handshake.

“Hi, I’m Erika, nice meeting you. Can I get your number?”

 

‘Waaaaah! So persistent! Erika is so persistent when she saw or met a hot guy.’

 

I glared and Sheryl nudged her trying to stop her persistent moves. Daesung just smiled and he laughed a little. Then, I started sharing my experience in Kuala Lumpur on how beautiful it was, where I went and how I did my silly poses, my first time eating a rotti in an Indian restaurant… everything I shared to them except to the person that I met and became my travel buddy. I know that before this conversation ends, they’ll ask me if I got a guy there and luckily, they didn’t ask. Daesung was silent, listening to what we’ve talk and sometimes, Sheryl told him so speak and not to be shy with them.

 

“Wait! I forgot to order!” I exclaimed.

“It’s alright, Kioko. I already ordered for the five of us.” Emily said.

 

I got the paperbag and gave each of them a pack of chocolate, postcard and keychain. Erika asked Daesung if he have a souvenir from me. He just answered yes and I can see from his face that he was shy.

 

“So, Kioko, are you two … ?” Erika curiously asked me while she’s pointing Daesung and I.

I glanced at Daesung and he was smiling and they saw that and thought that we were in relationship. So, I must answer to end this misunderstanding.

 

“No!” “Yes!” I exclaimed my answered and was surprised when Daesung answered them with yes.

“Smells fishy!” Sheryl teased.

“Congrats Kioko. You finally found one.” Emily seconded.

“No! He’s not my boyfriend.” I denied. “Hey! Tell them that we’re not.” I pleaded him.

He laughed and said, “It was a joke. I’m not his boyfriend.”

“See! He isn’t.” I seconded.

“You’re so defensive, Kioko.” Erika said. “If he’s boyfriend then we are so happy for you that you’ll have a lovelife.”

“It’s okay, Kioko. Time will come that you’ll find the kindest and loving fish in the world.” Emily said. And Sheryl gave me two thumbs up.

 

My friends were sweet and thoughtful even though they’re silly and crazy most of the time. Daesung tapped on my shoulder and smiled.

Our food was served and we started eating while talking some gossips and crushes. Daesung finally jive in with our craziness and found out some of my secrets and he also shared some of his stories about his childhood and teenage years. I found out that he was weakling during his high school years. He became a bully when he was on college and been a bad boy. He started to buffed up when he was in 4th year college but the shocking secret was, he doesn’t have a girlfriend since birth. I didn’t believe him because he’s tall, hot and handsome so it’s impossible that he don’t have any girlfriends. My friends exposed my silly persistent moves when I had a crush on our classmate.

 

“You know what Daesung, I really boost my confidence when Kioko I saw her nursing crush in campus. Her crush was sitting with his classmates and that time, I was on the area to get my notebook. And when I saw her crush, I pretended to get dizzy and sat one of the chair opposite to her crush and looked at the nameplate to get his name.” Erika exposed that very awkward moment and everyone was laughing.

“What’s his name?” Daesung asked.

“His name is…” Erika was going to tell the name so I laughed out loud and covered his ears.

“Hey! I didn’t hear the name.” He bellowed.

 

I gave Sheryl a sign to change the topic and she opened up the catfight that we experienced. Emily smiled and kept on eating. We talked and laughed until we noticed that it’s already six in the evening.

 

“Girls, I think we need to go.” Emily said.

“Yeah! I have an exam the next day after tomorrow. I need to study.” Erika seconded.

 

We divided the cost of the bill and paid it then we went out the restaurant.

 

“So, let’s call it a day.” Emily said.

“Okay. Take care.” I replied.

Erika hugged us and told Daesung, “You, take her home.”

“I will.” He answered.

 

Erika and Sheryl waved at us, and Emily kissed me on my cheek and went home leaving the two of us alone. Daesung and I started to walk without saying anything. We went down and exited the mall. Daesung was silent and it’s not like him until he spoke.


“Why are you so afraid of having a boyfriend?”

 

I was surprised by his question and I don’t know what to answer. I panicked browsing my brain for answers.

 

“I don’t know why and…  it’s not the time to have one.” I answered.

 

We stopped as the pedestrian light was on red and again, he was silent. I gazed at him and he was uneasy. I don’t know what makes him uneasy. The light turns green and we crossed the road. The silence makes me deaf ‘coz it’s not like him. He’s always talkative and loud, even the silent area became a market. I think Daesung was in deep thoughts and we reached the next pedestrian lights and lucky us, it’s green and we crossed the road. Upon entering the street to my apartment, I felt nostalgic and I don’t know why it came to my senses. Daesung walked ahead of me because the street was narrow. There were private cars passed by this street to the hospital. When we reached to a corner where my apartment was, he stopped and turned to me.

 

“Will you accept me as your boyfriend Kioko?” Daesung asked me unexpectedly.